Is it actually fun to play tabletop games?

Is it actually fun to play tabletop games?

I've been out of the hobby for so long that I'm not even sure if I should try to get back in.

no

yes

/thread
also inb4 "fun is a buzzword" fags.

>hobbies full of millenials and generation Y who can't concentrate on anything for more than 10 seconds
>good players getting older and leaving the hobby due to work, age, family commitments, etc
>games getting casualized
>more casuals and normalfags playing their lolsorandum shit and meme characters
>SJWs and alt-right assholes everywhere

The scene is shit m8. If you've got some old friends to play with then it should be OK, but trying to get a good new group is pot luck. It's not like there aren't ANY decent people, both new and old, but the proportion is 50/50 at best, and I'm being generous to offset my natural cynicsm.

OP would have to dig up some really fucking crusty grognards in order not to play with millenials. Good luck getting a 35+ game going.

Just play a game, if you don't have fun....well....what else were you gonna do with those few hours?

This is right. A random pug is likely to consist of:
>nerdy gamergate-spewing SJW feminist
>Rapey McRapeface mouthbreathing neckbeard
>Hitler did nothing wrong
>16 year old grimdark edgelord
>Weeb 30 year old
>girlgamer who inevitably causes romantic drama among the group
>The wholesome 40-year old tabletop veteran who helps everyone out and is generally a nice guy until someone takes advantage of him and he leaves the hobby forever

Who took advantage of you, user? Show me on the doll where he touched you.

>Show me on the doll where he touched you.

It... It was right on the D6! OK! Happy now?

Hitler DIDN'T do anything wrong though!

And it's actually a fact, most of the weird fucked up shit came from Himmler, Goebbels, Mengele or Grese.

>Is it actually fun to play tabletop games?

Society is now too self-centered and/or "interactively weak" to really support tabletop gaming anymore. They're just not teaching kids the necessary social skills anymore.

depends on the players.

Some are awesome, some are so autistic a 60 sided puzzle piece doesnt do them justice.

Like any other social activity, it's all about who you do it with.

He lost. That was wrong.

>muh millennials

Christ you're such a faggot.

it's true though

t. teacher

Most millenials don't even go to school anymore, you mouthbreather.

He tried to invade Russia.

Legit? Tabletop gaming has gone through a renaissance. It's no longer dice-roll / paperwork, it's dice-roll / chit manipulation. It is quite satisfying.

Only assholes want to play dice-roll / paperwork in 2017. dice-roll / chit manipulation is where it's at.

You acted the same way when you were a child, there is no difference between you and ancient Babylonians who thought their children would never 'build empires like they did'.

Since you've yet to share any actual evidence of this claim, you're just talking trash.

I am 12 and is this some sort of cyberpunk joke

Why are you so fixated on victories? That glorious defeat set the world up for a prosperous golden age that arguably would not have happened without the wheat being separated from the chaff in the crucible of that global war.

The world would not be a better place if Nazi Germany had "won".

Stop posting here kiddo.

This.

Every prior generation demonizes the young just like the young demonizes the generation that came before it. Both are equally retarded

"No"

>Is it actually fun to play tabletop games?
There's a lot of variables. I think the POTENTIAL to have fun with tabletop is higher than it's ever been. As always, there's the problem of finding a good group to play with, which is the most important thing, but that's down to your local community and you personally.

If it's down to the games though, honestly, we're in the middle of a renaissance right now. The slow evolution and growth of the hobby has produced rulesets that are much cleaner and quicker to play than in previous years. And at the same time, things like crowdfunding and 3D printing have opened up the market to entrepreneurial hobbyists and gamers starting their own games. There's been an explosion of new miniatures makers - with the result that we as players have more options than ever.

He fell victim to one of the classic blunders!

These guys know what's up.

I can forgive it in the young. They've never been old, after all, they don't have the benefit of hindsight or hard-earned wisdom. What always strikes me as odd is how some older people seem to just straight-up forget what it was like to be younger.

I am 23 and play with a group of people who are all in their fifties. We play AD&D and D&D 3.5. It's possible but unlikely unless you knew them previously (they are family friends).

>Is fun actually fun? Maybe fun isn't fun..
OP you are stupid.

>It's no longer dice-roll / paperwork

Clearly you haven't played 5th Edition D&D (and good on you if you haven't) because if you had you would have erased a fucking hole in your character sheet with all the once-per-day fighter resource spending abilities. Apparently making martials "good" means their abilities have to get used up like wizards' magic. Because the developers cannot design a game without lumping everything in the same fucking structure. Not to mention Vancian casting is back, so hello! to tracking how many 2nd level spells you have left. At least you can mix slots now and add them together, but why not just have spell points in that case? The reason is, that D&D is entirely a legacy brand. It's identity is defined by vestigal mechanics that no longer have an actual purpose outside of forming the game's attributes. Alignment, armor class, hit dice, 2nd-level-spells... that's all part of D&D. And almost all of those mechanics are either shit, or need to be adjusted in some way. So as a result, we need to keep scratching holes in our character sheet to track our second winds (tokens just get lost as sometimes we don't even take a long rest in the same session) because the developers are too incompetent to make martials actually fucking easy to play. You see maybe instead of forcing them to spend d8s just to disarm someone, they should make fighters better at disarming and have a normal disarm system. There wasn't anything really wrong with the 3.5 combat maneuvers: the problem was that it took too much effort for fighters to specialize in them. Disarm is stupid because it either ends the fight, or is useless against monsters with natural attacks. Trip is nice until you have dumb fucks who think you should be able to literally trip a dragon. Same with bull rush and grapple. It's a 3000 ton beast, you cannot bull rush it when you weigh 300 pounds with armor. Thanks to martialcucks, martials suck in 5e.