/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Not-Not-Not-Spartan edition.

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

sandsmodelsshop.com/product/15mm-assorted-stowage-pk-of-30/
skytrex.com/68-vehicle-stowage
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC259791
rpglibrary.org/articles/faqs/copyright.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anyone know a manufacturer that makes Warcraft style troll miniatures?

Would really love to find some for a SBH warband

Can I talk about Guild Ball here?

I don't see why not.

What game?

Sorry mate, can't think of any off the top of my head.

It's the file name.

Ohh well... shit.

Shit what?

he feels stupid for being unable to read the file name

ANYWAYS

is necromunda /AWG/ ?
What about GW's necromunda reboot shadow war: armageddon?

>is necromunda /AWG/ ?
Nope

so just necromunda clones are welcome here? ok, bye

>Nope
>and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

Anyone here ever thought about going through all the trouble and what not just to make the game and system you'd really want to play? Making the rules, designing the rough of how your models would look, writing the lore for little universe?

Honestly really thinking about it trying to sit down and make "my game" and see if I could get some friends to do some demo games of it.

bye
>>and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread
They have 40k general.

Already working on it. Been pitching rules ideas in here regularly.

>>>and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread
>They have 40k general.

I assure you 40k general has nothing to do with necromunda

Anyone know where you can get cheap 1/144 vehicle stowage? I've been pricing up a Black Talon army for Heavy Gear and they seem to be DOUBLE SECRET GORILLA WAR OPERATORS in mech form. Thus I want to make them as tacticool as possible.

And on that note does anyone do scenic hex bases, or should I just stick round base toppers to the bases?

While we're talking HGB I drove myself into an autistic death spiral yesterday trying to work out whether a Railgun is better than a Tank Gun....

>I assure you 40k general has nothing to do with necromunda
>what Shadow War game are

Is malifaux awg? Where can i find last version of rulebooks?

Sadly no, but in case you find one, please tell.

I started working on a Thirty Years War skirmish. I started writing like a dozen games already, but didn't finish a single one. I want to do this one, and if it works well, it can be expanded into fantasy as well.

I don't know if anyone makes stowage that small, but maybe you can get away using small stowage pieces in 1:100 I suppose.

Yes, and I guess on their website, or at least that's where I got it from last time.

Try Minigigs, Pendraken and Takara.

I just found this:

sandsmodelsshop.com/product/15mm-assorted-stowage-pk-of-30/

It looks perfect, I can make Liefeld-esque nightmares to my heart's content.

Skytrex also make nice stowage, tarps are jerry cans are good, but the little crates are especially nice if that's what you fancy. They are all fairly small and neat too, so shouldn't look out of place at 1/144
skytrex.com/68-vehicle-stowage
They have your pants down over shipping costs though

I'm in the UK so it doesn't seem that horrible for postage.

That's a great find, thanks.

Ok, i need info about runewars, the other side and sw:armada from people, who actually played them. Can you give me all pros and cons?

/swg/ can probably help you out with Armada better than we can. There was a guy here last thread who unboxed runewars, but I don't know if anyone's played it yet.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on VOID and Urban War? Did someone just buy the old sculpts and then start making new ones based off them? Same setting?

Void was an approx. platoon level game, but when the company died, Urban Mammoth started doing Urban War, with pretty much the same people behind the wheels, the rules were similar, but this time as a skirmish game with a handful of figures per side.

I-Kore made the VOID wargame, went bust. Same people formed Urban Mammoth making skirmish game Urban War, which used some of the old infantry miniatures and some newer stuff, went bust. They also made Metropolis, which was a larger squad game for using your Urban War miniatures.

Now Scotia Grendel has the rights to Void 1.1, and sell the old range, like the dinosaur transports. Meanwhile, Urban War Game is the new company selling Urban War.

Most of the factions are the same, except UW has a new one for the setting.

IIRC these were metal, I'm sure they were a joy to assemble.

Managed to snag a still in shrink wrap copy of the SST miniatures game from a shop in Italy. Now if only I could find rippler bugs.

maybe you could find something for model railroads. N gauge.
Kind of a wild guess though.

As for scenic bases the only company I know of makes them for a 28mm fantasy game.
Tabletop Art does them for The Dark Eye. Not sure if the size is right for heavy gear though, but some of the themes could for at the scale .I think.

Lord of The Rings rule books. Any download links for them?

Resin+metal parts.

I did demos if rune wars and the other side at Adepticon.

Rune wars was better than I expected. The morale system was interesting, as was the order and modifier wheels. Also liked the simplicity of formation bonuses (width multiplies damage, depth provides rerolls) Sculpts were pretty decent as well (no prepainted or pre assembled)

TOS felt a bit like malifaux jr. I couldn't say I am regretting kickstarting it, but the demo did nothing to fan my excitement

Fwiw I also demoed Arena Rex and Aetherium and loved the shot out of both.
Arena rex for the damage tree and plethora of repositioning that you can do during activations.
Aetherium for the tile manipulation, moving your guys by moving terrain was pretty cool.

How do i start plaing malifaux, lads? I like the look of gremlins, by the way.

anyone have the Spectre Operations full pdf?

TY!

Got some Critical Mass stuff for Gruntz today. The resin mech's great, very little clean up needed.

UW 2nd ed is a great system with baller models and you should play it.

Did Urban Mammoth actually go bust? I thought they'd just handed over to Scottia Grendel as they were busy with Age of Tyrants?

Neat looking little mechs there

Yeah, dissolved in 2014.

beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC259791

Isn't there a dedicated thread for malifaux?

Either way - it's an easy game to start. Go download the rules PDF, get a deck of Fate Cards and a crew box for your faction that you like the look of, and get out there. One of the things I like best about Malifaux is it's one of those games you can just kinda dive in to with very low initial investment.

Shame Critical Mass are going to stop trading in literally five days time.

Are these the guys that just got picked up by Ral Partha? Been looking at their power armor for a while, to use as light mechs for 10mm scale.

Those guys are 15mm, right? That big mech actually looks a lot larger than I would have expected from browsing their site.

I'm working on 2 right now.
One is partially because it will look really good in my portfolio that I made a board game, the other because I really want to make a twist on a "hunting" game that is inspired by Kingdom Death, but takes it in a more Monster Hunter route.

Other than that, I kind of want to figure out how to do translate a character based shooter like Overwatch into a board game/tabletop game format.

Huh fair. I just checked and Age of Tyrants is being made by Myriad Miniatures it seems? I think they briefly did distribution for Urban War?

As says, they got picked up by Ral Partha thankfully. Though I did buy these guys before that happened and didn't know if I'd ever be able to get hold of Critical Mass models.

Yeah, they are.
The Blockheads are a little on the small side for 15mm (compared to Ground Zero stuff), although they are all hunched over.
The one on the far left is Planetfall, which is 10mm. Might work.

How good is Halo Ground Command?

I wrote a good chunk of rules for a high school shounen battling skirmish game after drinking a load of rum and playing Trails of Coldsteel for several hours.

I wanted to make something of it.

Personal stuff meant I wasn't able to do any wargaming for a couple of months and so it sits unfinished.

Ah, those rules seemed fun. It'd be nice if you finished it.

I would definitely love to but the guy I was planning to do some playtesting with got screwed by shift patterns and I had a lot of family stuff get in the way of gaming time. Once I get a free weekend I'll have a go.

Why arent Warhammer clones more popular? In the video game industry the almost most popular games in a genre are usually rip offs of the most popular one. But in tabletop world I fail to find even one remotely similar game to warhammer that would be easy to pick up games for around the country.

For the same reason that Warhammer became unpopular and was replaced with AoS of course.

Two reasons in my mind.

The tabletop landscape isn't structured like the video games industry where you're investing $100 million or more of a large multinational corporations money over a 2 year period. As a result playing it safe and making a sequel/prequel/interquel or clone of another game is pretty much the only thing that happens now.

I think it's harder for a company to come along and pretty much lift the rules from Warhammer and just make a different line of models and say it's their own thing. Bolt action is pretty much 4th edition 40k, but it's still pretty different with it's activation method and some other changes. With video games you can pretty much lift all the mechanics from Call of Duty, change some names/countries and you're not going to run afoul of patents like you presumably would with GW.

Closest thing to that model that has any steam is probably Kings of War.

But honestly, I think people just realized that 28mm scale kinda sucks for Rank-n-File games. That style of game just works way better at 10mm or 15mm, where you can actually field really big impressive-looking armies without breaking the bank (or taking the time to paint it), and without having to find room for a 100 SF table in your basement. So most 28mm scale games these days are low model-count skirmishers.

You are making good points. It just amazes me that so many people say that games workshop games suck and are looking for a close alternative, only to find that there is none and move to skirmish games. Warpath is the closest I can think of, the minis are good and reasonably priced yet it is dead af.

>The Blockheads are a little on the small side for 15mm (compared to Ground Zero stuff), although they are all hunched over.
Yeah, they actually look like they'd work really well for the "heavy power armor" class of model at 10mm - somewhere between Planetfall's infantry and small mechs. My not-marines company has minis from about a dozen manufacturers in it already, what's one more? =)

not

because people don't want to paint 200 models of core before they're allowed to play the game

I have totally moved on to skirmish level games, because they are so much easier on my wallet and I don't lose motivation to paint.

(And it's way easier for me to convince people to try out Guild Ball and invest like, the $80~ for a team, than to try and get them into 40k)

you can't lift GW rules because they'll shut you down

even 9th age got shut down because they used the same rules but changed the words for everything

now 9th age is 100% fan driven and there's no structure to it, effectively driving the rules into a slump as any joe is allowed to make changes
The flip side is I wouldn't compare tabletop gaming to video games at all, we've seen lots of growth and lots of new games

Warpath isn't dead, it's not actually launched its new version yet. It's up for preorder for 22nd April

Looking for kings of war books, including the organized play supplement

There is a truly ridiculous amount of stuff available for 1/144 gunpla, both first and third party. since gundams are bloody huge a lot won't be relevant, but there's definitely human scale accessories and stowage available.

Is there a system that I can use my 1/44 Gunpla in?

Osprey recently published a generic mech combat game.
Something Horizon.

Can't remember the name exactly shouldn't be hard to find though.
Had mixed reviews, worth giving a shot though if you want something like it.

>dead
>not even released yet
Why are you this stupid

Dig through the archives. There was a KoW dedicated thread with resources floating around.

>I have totally moved on to skirmish level games, because they are so much easier on my wallet and I don't lose motivation to paint.
I'm in a similar place with 28mm. I love how with something like Malifaux, Guildball, or Infinity, I can just decide I want to play something, buy it for < $100, build and paint it over a weekend, and get it right on the table.

The only games I'm willing to build "big" armies for anymore are all 6mm or 10mm scale.

Use some random fantasy/sf skirmish game on a big table, treating the mechs as people.

More Egyptian renders for Dystopian Wars.

>rpglibrary.org/articles/faqs/copyright.php
Actully, you could lift the rules. They arent protected by copyright, patents, or trade secrets laws. Just gotta rewrite the book, use none of their characters or IP, but the basic ruleset is not protected.

GW would still drag you to court, and kill you by outspending you though. It's perfectly legal, but the court system is broken enough to stop it happening.

But the ruleset itself is fair game if you think you can survive

Painted up 120 dorfs for my Warhamster/KoW/9th Age army. Got beaten into a bloody pulp basically every game, and my figures died by the dozen. Why the fuck should I paint them if they'll be on the table for one turn max? I'd much rather spend my time on something that's worth it. Traded the fuckers for old Warzone metal.

Tho iunno...I have historical armies for big battles system like WAB and Black Powder. Mostly in 1:72. It's a manageable scale for me and can churn them out pretty quickly, but low model count skirmishes have a charm of their own too, Malifaux for example, and would like to try Legends of the Old West too.

>KoW
>my figures died by the dozen

confirmed as someone who never played KoW

In KoW they're not ablative wound markers like WHFB

Check out Gundam Skirmish.

>I remove a unit after got charged and hacked to bits
>take off 20 figures at once

Oh by the heavens, it's not exactly two dozen! Shame on me, shame on my cow!

I like 'em.
I've never understood why Spartan doesn't put out higher quality renders though.

Yeah.
The only thing I kinda miss is the "Your dudes"-ness of something like Warhams, but honestly, the sculpts and background fluff in Guild Ball goes a long way in making me not care about that and totally buy into the characters.

and getting a whole team for the price of 2 units of Skitarii.
That goes a long way.

>Wounds are marked with a die/chit instead of by removing mans, blocks of infantry still live or die as a unit
>Thinks this is a meaningful difference
KoW's damage tracking is just a convenience thing, user. The game is still functionally a (massively improved) WHFB clone.

>1:72. It's a manageable scale for me and can churn them out pretty quickly, but low model count skirmishes have a charm of their own too
Yeah, agreed. The two types are fueling two totally different needs.

These days I mostly scratch the itch for massed battles playing scaled-down beer-and-pretzels variants of KoW with our old warmaster minis. Works pretty well, for what it is.

You can also say it's a more abstract way of representing units being destroyed because they break and rout, rather than in WHFB where they will often literally fight to the last man.

The latter always vaguely annoyed me because in real battles that basically never happened. Also WHFB was pretty coy about whether or not it was meant to have figure scaling.

>the "Your dudes"-ness of something like Warhams
This is something I definitely miss about warhammer, along with the related "convert / kitbash everything" mentality. I got out of WHFB in late 6th / early 7th. At the time, everybody was doing still in that DIY story-driven mentality you see in books like General's Compendium and Storm of Chaos. Lots of fully-converted armies, scratchbuilt giant gribblies, and so on. That's something other games have really struggled to capture.

I haven't played WHFB in a few editions, but when I did, it still had a morale system. Units would generally not fight to the last man, they'd lose a rank or so and then flee, to be run down or off the board. The end result was similar.

There were always a few fearless or berserk units that would do what you describe, but they were definitely the exception, not the rule.

>Also WHFB was pretty coy about whether or not it was meant to have figure scaling.
Anyone who says one figure represents one man in Warhams is a fucking liar.

Even then, compared to many historical battles the idea of losing say 20-25% of your guys (about one rank's worth) in direct combat was unlikely. The majority of casualties were caused after the unit had broken.

Yeah, I have fully customized Inquisition army for 40k.
With the ressurection of Necromunda I can probably run them as a gang for that.

(I also lowkey made some of them just in the rare chance I ever get to play Inq28)

Yeah, their renders, especially recently, do a shitty job of showing the models.

Towards the end, it was an issue. 8th really had it with the Steadfast rules and Battle Standards letting you re-roll all morale checks, plus general power creep.

Thankfully none of that applied to my Brets.

Fuck you GW, waited so long for a new fucking army book and we get fucking drink from a fucking cup to get a fucking re-roll, fucking fuck fuck fuck. Fuck.

Barely looked at the universe for warzone resurrection and I've already fell in love with three of the factions. It's like they took the 70s and 80s and boiled it down into one awesome dystopian setting.

Technically, it would be the third time it launches

Second.

Wasn't there a second edition a few years ago? The one that was more skirmish oriented? It had a Corporation trooper in the cover.

If you mean Project Pandora: Grim Cargo, that was a boardgame.

>Yeah, I have fully customized Inquisition army for 40k.
Hell yeah. I played Chaos Marines back in the day.

I think their army book had more options for unit loadouts than every current army put together. And most of it had no official models.

Well, sure, but on the other hand, compared to historical battles... my general is riding a manticore and swinging a sword that weighs 35 pounds. So..

Gotcha. I wasn't there for that stuff... remember KoW was Alessio's baby. I don't think he was at GW for that, either. I've always seen KoW as being his "idealized" version of WHFB. Basically just took most of the good ideas that came out of specialist games, LotR, etc and blended them with the high concept of warhammer... trying to create the game WHFB 7th "should have been", if that makes sense.

There was also Deadzone, which uses the same universe and a lot of the same minis. I was actually surprised when I saw they were redoing warpath, I'd kinda assumed they were just going to expand deadzone to replace it.

No, I remember that one. The one I'm talking about was after the Plague was introduced, IIRC. They tried with model removal for casualties in that version of the ruleset.

Anyway, I'm somewhat dissapointed they chose Veer-myn over Zz'or for Deadzone Infestation and as a Warpath faction. Hard plastic space bugs would have been great. Since they hired Matt Gilbert their miniatures have improved a lot, both in quality and design

When I get back to my main comp I'll see if I can't any pictures of the army.

So many Dark Eldar turned into acolytes.
So many....

Can't find*