Explain this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hz7WKiC4SpY
today.duke.edu/2009/09/hyenas.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Humans have much smaller brains than whale shark
>Are still smarter

Explain this

Whales also have far larger brains than humans, but are stupider than humans.

>Whales have much larger brains than human beings
>Are much dumber

Stop posting bait threads

Whales have larger brains than humans. It's a Brain-to-body mass ratio thing.

>Neuron density
>Speed of connection
>Muh soul

Whales
Elephants
Dolphins

Much larger and heavier brains than humans. Not at our intellectual capacity.

Pls Veeky Forums you're better than this.

Big organ does not mean great organ. Complex organ does.

The welsh have much larger brains than humans

Giant education systems are notoriously underfunded.

>Einstein had a bigger brain on average and was thus smarter
>Was a dirty thieving kike who took credit for other people's work because he was able to see an Eclipse to prove three other people's theories.

Nigger, fuck you.

Are whales Veeky Forums's home niggas or something?

>Einstein had a bigger brain on average

The fuck does that mean? Did his brain change size regularly, so that they could only measure its volume as an average? What was the variance and the standard deviation?

Honestly, it's a myth, shit doesn't matter, they talk abou tit like it's significant, Eienstein was basically a big American Age of propaganda Jew like how Freud was propped up back in the day.

Could Human taxes go towards improving their lot, or are the Avianfolks unwilling to give up their loopholes to help reduce attacks on them?

>Standard deviations are a myth

Nigger what

How the hell are you going to demonstrate statistical significance if you can't even measure squared differences in the means

This board is getting dumber by the hour

Inbreeding due to low numbers
Muscular-skeletal structure of the skull similar to apes, small cranial cavity for brain but large jaw muscles wrap around the skull.

Physics. Not enough oxygen. A massive oxygen-starved brain is functionally useless.

Was gonna call bullshit on that pic, but I looked it up... what the fuck happened to gorillas in this reality?

Look up most ape/monkey skulls

Pretty much always the same
That crest is there to anchor the jaw muscle that wraps itself around the cranial cavity providing MASSIVE jaw strength

I know a lot of animals have that ridge (some dog breeds have it, too), but I just had no idea how fucking massive it could get on gorillas. Makes me think about how we always misinterpret fossilised skulls by just putting some skin straight over it, when they could be entirely different.

Dinosaurs

>hard-science fantasy
y tho

have you met a whale

He's talking about the Einstein's brain part you autist, not the standard deviation part.

Where is the proof?

That's what they want you to believe

It never hit me before how weird looking brains are.

In my setting, giants are just 10-15ft tall mountain folk who are just as smart as humans.

Encephalization quotient

Sort of did that once. Giants were dumb brutes for ages because they were just that much stronger than other races they didn't needed smart. But once other races started to get half decent civilisations, giants started getting slaughtered by superior tactics and war machines. Ultimately some of them realised they need to start thinking and allied with dwarves.
They still aren't geniuses but they are average.

>he wasn't an American while working on his famous theorems
>literally the only major award he won after taking American citizenship was the "Person of the Century" award from Time, more than 40 years after he died
>Germany is America now.

Now imagine the whole of you is basically encased in that weird blob of fat.

>Germany is America now
Germania is just a self destructive vassal state of the Republic.

Incorrect.

Giants have much larger HEADS than humans.

So did dinosaurs, and they had brains the size of a walnut.

Well, nobody likes looking at themselves all that much. Especially the Brain.

If you REALLY think about it, all our bodies are is clothing for our brain.

>Not Empire
Fucking Republicans constantly rewriting history in favor of "muh glorious republic".

The republic was a corrupt bundle of patrician loving stick bundles wrapped in corruption and abuse of power.

Ave Caesar!

Don't make me sick the Orca's on your ass, whale user.

This, wake up people, the whales are pulling the fucking strings

Because continuous assassinations by praetorians and family members was soooo much better.

Cicero and Cato, not Caesar and Catiline.

Praise Mars.

You guys are just making it worse.

Brain to body mass ratio. The larger the body the more brain power is devoted to sensory input and processing. Some whales have a breain propotionatly larger than a humans by a significant margin but brain scans have show that a much larger portion of their brain is devoted to procesing auditory input. So larger body needs a larger brain just to jandel the body. Most whales are social animals capable of comunication as well as having to proces input necessary for echolocation so many have brains similarly sized if not larger in proportion to human body size. Now a giant is larger than a man so if for example. Asuming it had the same neural density and conectivity as a human it would need to have a brain exactly prapotional to the extra body mass as compaired to a human. Even a five or ten percent diferance could have a massive effect on intellect.

Why the fuck would I care what he's talking about? He doesn't understand statistical analysis, his opinions can be safely disregarded.

iodine deficiency

How would I use Giants in a Space Opera game?

Biologist here. It's a matter of surface area (wrinkles) on the brain. So they should have smoother brains.

Macross?

I wanted to run something based on it, but there isn't too much about the Zentraedi out there to use that's really specific to being Giants, ya know?

I did like the Vajra, since they did do some work to develop them and friendly, giant Insects are limited to them and the Humanx books. At the same time, they are also extremely powerful.

you aren't looking at overall brain size! you need to look at the brain-to-body ratio, how much of their body is brain mass. In that regards in humans 2.75% of our overall body-mass is just our brains. while conversely we believe that Neanderthals had 1.98% of their body mass comprised of their brains, and in Australopithecus Aferensis is believed to have a mere 1.2% of their bodymass made-up of brain. Obviously this isn't a perfect system of measuring intelligence, and does have it's holes and oddities, but its something.

Giants may well be as smart as humans, but what is often depicted is they live in small family groups or are entirely solitary.

We're only intelligent because we live in large groups and can convey information easily, while Gruk the lone giant has his own wit and no society to back it up.

What if they are at our intellectual equals or more but they simply lack hands to create tools and move them further forward? Thinking especially of Dolphins and Orcas.

Storm, stone, and cloud giants are all smarter than your average spoon ear.

Frost and fire giants certainly aren't less intelligent than humans either.

Pretty much unless you're talking about hill giants, or some shitry rpg that no one plays, this thread is dildos.

You're thinking of octopodes.

Their brains take longer to get going in the morning because there's more brain to wake up, if only really starts chugging along when it's bedtime

They fling their young into space, so they can colonize other planets.

Humans have more neurones which is the more important thing than pure brain mass
Giants would have unmyleinated neurones making nervous signals pass through slower

>The REAL Tactical Espionage Action

>A weapon to surpass Metal Gear

There have been plenty of studies on animal intelligence. This issue is less the over all size of the brain but rather the size and complexity of key structures as well as resource allocation. For example while elephants have quite large and fairly complex brains a huge part of it is devoted the their somatosensory cortex, which their trunk uses most of since it has so many fine muscles that have to be controlled as well as neural inputs to process. Humans on the other hand have a disgustingly large and complex frontal lobe wit ha significant portion of the being prefrontal cortex. Their are only a very few plausible suspects for what you are suggesting actually being the case, dolphins being the most notable.

It looks a bit like a nut.

Why do people think brain size has anything to do with intellect?

>understand statistical analysis
And you don't have fucking reading comprehension.

Bump

>Big organ does not mean great organ.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

For one thing, human brains have been slowly shrinking for millennia, but we're getting smarter on average.

But yes, it's a matter of ratio. For a vertebrate, you need a large brain to control a larger body.

Bigger brain = more time for impulses to go around.

What matters isn't how big your brain is. What matters is how many connections your brain has.

This is why a bird is smarter than a mammal with similar sized brains. The bird has evolved to be light-weight, so a bird has more connections in its brain per cm3 than a mammal.

What constitutes as "smarter" here? Elephants have greater long term memory than people, and Chimps have short term memory greatly exceeding ours, does that make them "smarter" than us?

It should also be noted that even animals like Chimps that are "smart" are still beaten by animals like Hyenas when it comes to teamwork.

And of course there's Sauropod brains. tl;dr it's about the size of certain parts of the brain most of the time.

We have been to the moon, user

Don't be a dipshit

I believe the general trend that decides intelligence within animals is the brain's size ratio compared with the body that holds it. 'Smart' animals tend to house brains much larger than other similar animals of about the same size (eg a crow and annother non corvid bird of the same size).

Hey now

The correlation of parts of the brain is why we've been the moon and why are no whales on the moon

Also doesn't matter how smart something is if it cant manipulate the world around it. Pretty sure All Tomorrows mentioned this.

The scale in this graph is rally really messing with my ability to parse what it's trying to share.

file related.

Because if you all you know about two different brains were their sizes, you would be correct to say that the larger one is more likely to be more intelligent.

They eat tough-ass uncooked jungle veggies and roots, so they need huge bones to anchor their huge jaw muscles to.

Hence why people say there is something wrong with your nut, and you might just be nuts and etc.

the scaling makes it fucking impossible to make a good comparison

>Ravens have much smaller brains than humans
>Are probably better than most of this thread at simple logic puzzles.

Explain this

A lot of people have already hit the nail on the head, it's not just mass, but complexity. To give you an idea of how important complexity is, consider the fact that neanderthals had larger brains than modern day humans.

That's a crow, user.

Also,

youtube.com/watch?v=hz7WKiC4SpY

REALLY BIG SPACE SHIPS

Do they have significantly larger brains?
Anyway, intelligence seems more correlated with amount of folds than size and larger creatures tend to not be able to afford the calories to support a high-power brain since they need to focus on just trying to eat enough to maintain their large bodies.

Giant men floating through space who always are tying to find the party

Puzzle solving and capacity for abstraction is the only worthwhile metric for intelligence.

today.duke.edu/2009/09/hyenas.html

Ok mister "I didn't try in school but if I didn't I would get really good grades"

Hey, I won't deny conscientiousness as a necessity for success. But it's not a measure of intellect. More wisdom than anything.

I love the scenes where Macross is silly. I wish they would have played up the parody angle more. Fokker is absolutely hilarious when taken in context of Sleggar Law.

That's completely subjective

It's all about neuron density you daft bastard

Zentradi

>all giants are hill giants
Stop.

>Depends on the setting
>Dependsonthesetting
>Depesthestin
>Dpstn

Dumb giants, like DnD's hill giants are a redundancy over ogre's and trolls.
Giants should be humans but more exeggarated, like DnD's Empyreans.
Somewhere at the midpoint between mortal and divine, they build and create stuff scarcely comprehensible by humans. Castles in the clouds, ships the size of islands that can be folded up and put in their back pocket, weapons with great and terrible magic.
So no, they're not dumber, in fact, they're a great deal more intelligent than the mortal races. They're just not fucking and thus are slowly going extinct.

I've always liked the little mythological tidbit that a giant 10 times the size of a man can do work with the speed, strength, and skill of 10 men, not just things like lifting heavy rocks but also but also stuff like if said giant decided to be a jewelry they could do fine detail with the skill of ten men, and likewise a giant 50 times would be the equivalent of 50 men

Also
>Pic
More giants like that please

I was able to deduce from your post that you're a cuck, so clearly I'm doing something right

Something to consider is that giants are too big to make sense biologically. They almost necessarily need to be partly incorporeal and fey.

That, or just actually gods.
If you were a god taking corporeal form to walk the earth, wouldn't you be big and intimidating too?