JUST

JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846850855626145792
twitter.com/maro254/status/846879106574663680
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/158953269553/did-you-anticipate-some-of-the-negative-criticisms
strawpoll.me/12631235
strawpoll.com/ybrdze9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's fake, right.

You haven't heard user?

They don't even make me angry. Just depressed. Their existence is an embarrassment.

It's not. It does looked better in person.
twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846850855626145792

Fuck. I was in class on College and decided to check magicspoilers for any new spoiler. I had to leave the class because i was just so excited. Some of them look like ass, but fuck, Counterspell and Chain Lightning are beautiful! The best Masterpieces yet.

>Best Masterpiece yet

>Artistic modifications also may not obstruct or change the mana cost or name of the card.
Not tournament legal, jackass.

>yfw pokémon did a better job 15 years ago

doesn't obstruct. obfuscate, maybe, but it's written in English you hmong.

It's a legal card, not an artistic modification.

They look like shit.

It changes the name. The spell is chain lightning, but this printing presents the name as "[wingding character] [wingding character] [wingding character] chain lightning."

well it's a good thing humans are better than robots at reading that shit.

... a good thing unless you're a robot and can't overcome it.

/r9k/ is a perfectly respectable part of our site
also, robots have gotten pretty good at reading that shit

>not black or white border
>shouldn't be tournament legal
>wotc will change the comprehensive rules just to allow their horrific monstrosity of a cardframe to assault my eyes weekly.

>Chair lightrirg

I'm not going to lie, consecrated sphinx and mind twist look fucking legit and i'm going to play the shit out of them

OH MY GOD

When they first announced the Masterpieces I didn't think much of it but both the lands in Zendikar and the artifacts in Kaladesh looked good and these are just... mindblowing. They are so great that I can barely comprehend it.

As someone who always preferred the pre-8th edition frames and never get completely used to the post-8th frame, these are the best-looking Magic cards Wizards has printed in over ten years.

Just the idea that these exist make me so happy that I'm grinning.

maro please

You're obviously a shill, they're garbage, you're garbage, magic is fucking awful now

To be fair, some of them nail that early magic feel pretty well,particularly mind twist. Most are unreadable garbage, but a few are on point.

>IMINDTWISTI
>IFORCEOFWILLI

Really makes you think. Now you can counter spells with the Apple approved Force of your Willi.

No, no they don't. Old magic had breathtaking, inspiring art, not some tablet garbage thrown together in 20 minutes on a computer.

Masterpieces are ruining magic.

>Old magic had breathtaking, inspiring art, not some tablet garbage thrown together in 20 minutes on a computer.

there's good and shitty art in every mtg set. stop being such a faggot

The irrational screeching of a pure hater. It's okay not to like things without the hyperbole.

That looks as much like ass as these masterstains.

I'm excited about pulling these because I won't feel bad immediately selling them to buy 2 to 4 copies of a normal version. Some of the Zendikar and Kaladesh ones I would be torn about doing the same.

Some of the art looks good but the borders are hideous.

quite possibly the worst layout ever concieved. What's up with that shitty card name font? come on guys, there are better ways to show "Egyptian" stylistic font designs and make it readable.

Also is this the smallest non split card art ever?

>Old magic had breathtaking, inspiring art,

honestly the art is good for all the masterpieces i've seen the border is ugly as fuck.

>Old magic had breathtaking, inspiring art,

igor the best mtg artist currently.

WILD BEAT?

Counterspell is the ugliest one.

The only bearable invocations so far are Wrath of God and Mind Twist, mainly because the art is simplistic and doesn't fight for space with the border too much

Every single invocation that counters things looks like garbage

brb buying out wc deck card

If they were full art with no rules text, or even if just the art was bigger, they would be better. Still cool tho fuck the h8trs lulz. I hope to buy them cheap of enough people hate them.

These cards fucking suck and their creators should be fired.

A few minutes in photoshop. How much better is it?

It was MEANT to be a mistake, just like delver, snapcaster, jace, and splinter twin in standard with deciever. People love them! Its just a small vocal minority who dont now but will later, just watch!

t. (((Maro)))

How much negative feedback can WOTC possibly ignore?

>Loyal Retainers

I don't mind the crazy art

Yell I'll just use my modern masters ones

Shit, that Spell Pierce art is pretty sweet. The color contrasts. I don't mind getting this even though it's 'just' a common.

You don't get it, being unreadable garbage is a FEATURE

>10 blue invocations
>0 green

welp

Players love drawing cards! Players love blue! Players love EDH!

Should've used that art for Force of Will

The artwork on these is insulting. Using highly contrasting blue and orange to make them eyecatching instead of just making the art good is a cheap trick.

>Everyone getting mad about cards they are never ever going to get in a pack.

wew lad

Better yet
>Everyone getting mad about cards they secretly wished to get in a pack.

That's what I thought as well, then I pulled a planar bridge and meekstone at the AER pre-release. You never know when rng is in play.

>we're going to take those cards you wanted reprints of
>and make them super-mythic
>and also make them look fucking trash

Better yet
>Everyone getting mad about cards they secretly preorder at the very first opportunity anyway.

It's actually a feature when you take your head out of your ass and realize that the contrast of the incredibly different border along with the art and unreadable text makes you feel like you just discovered an ancient egyptian artifact when opening your booster pack.

It's the wild difference and strange looking formatting that makes these so interesting to look at, WotC attempted to do something different with the whole Egypt theme and i feel they did a great job, maybe the border is a bit too big but the idea was fucking amazing.

But hey. You guys want your generic uninteresting fullart premium foils that have been done for the course of the game a million times.

That's not how you spell Terese Nielsen or Rebecca Guay.

All of it, as usual.
People are all 100% agreeing, everywhere on the internet, that the frame, text, "heiroglyphs", and art shrinking are all complete shit on these, even straight to MaRo's face on his twitter, but he's ignoring it.

twitter.com/maro254/status/846879106574663680

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/158953269553/did-you-anticipate-some-of-the-negative-criticisms

>it's a feature that these don't even look like Magic the Gathering cards
>to both inexperienced and experienced players

These look like shit!

>It's not. It does looked better in person.

Except it doesn't. If anything it looks worse.

>mfw I pull an Invocation Force of Will and am only able to sell it for $35 because they look like shit

If that foil force of will is only worth 35 I'll commit suicide live in screen cause that will literally never happen

>People like Full Art Cards
>Let's print cards with more strange borders and less art
Why

SHIEEEEEEEEEEET

>FORCE OF WILLI

>If that foil force of will is only worth 35 I'll commit suicide live in screen cause that will literally never happen

I'm being slightly facetious, but honestly, the only people who these cards will appeal to are:

>autist collectors who have "pimp" decks but drive a '91 Camry
>people with no taste

I'm expecting for them to go for above EMA Force of Will prices but probably below the foil EMA Force of Will price

Don't forget that the only reason Damnation got a pass in the first place was because JewWater continually shilled it would "sell the set" on it's own

>Guys, we're losing too much time and money on having to print these really different masterpiece cards
>I know, let's print the ugliest pieces of sin we can, then pull the old "completely misinterpret player feedback" shtick and say "oh, people didn't like masterpieces as a whole, so we're discontinuing them
>Brilliant!

I guarentee it.

Look at the knob-gobbling YGO shitlord. Go the fuck back to school you piece of garbage. Good game design means READABLE content, with CLEAR, CONSISTENT DESIGNS. all these lolrandum generic card border alters are ruining Magic.

One thing I noticed is a lot of the cards they are printing are Legacy staples. I think they can take it a step further and interpret

>Oh well we tried to get Legacy players to buy Standard packs but they didn't so fuck Legacy

still shit

You are speaking like these fucking cards are going to be in 1 out of 3 booster packs. Get the autism out of your asshole and realize that these are supposed to be extremely rare collector's edition cards.

If you open 6 Booster Boxes at most you will see maybe ONE or TWO of these cards, this shit isn't going to flood the fucking market, it's supposed to be special, you aren't going to walk into fnm after release and get eye cancer when your Timmy player pulls out his Legacy deck with a playset of Japanese Invocation Force of Wills.

If you'd get MaRo's cock out of your mouth for one second, you'd realize that the consensus across the internet is 95% against and 5% in favor of these shit masterpieces, and that's being generous to those in favor.
Just about everyone everywhere agrees these are shit.

just because they're rare doesn't mean they have to look shit

they can look different without being awful looking

the one thing they shouldn't fuck is the black borders. those are what make magic cards recognizable for me. mess around with anything else, just not the borders.

Straw poll on opinions
strawpoll.me/12631235

>I expect negative criticism about every thing we do. It’s the nature of the internet

Jesus, MaRo is so sad at this point that I honestly feel bad for the guy

here is a poll i posted on Veeky Forums yesterday 3 minutes after reveal

strawpoll.com/ybrdze9

it seems like both polls offer the same answer: lot of people dislike them, some love it, no one likes to give them an average score.
it looks like a lot of people who now thinks they are ugly would prefer to hold off their judgement until they see one IRL.

how long until Wi$ards release a statement blaming the criticism of the masterpieces on "alt right Veeky Forums anonymoyus gamergates"

>Anywhere between the EXTREMELY narrow range of $70 to $370
No shit user, these ugly fucking things are definitely going to be worth triple digits money. I'm just glad that if I open one I can sell it for a regular Force and some cash

The difference this time is that I only want them for the money they'll fetch: not that I want a rare card with a unique design.

They really do look a lot better in paper but making the names hard to read on purpose is beyond stupid

do you feel bad for a guy who spend his life in a dream job that gains him millions and is pretty good at and loved for, when he just fucks up something?

he'll learn, he'll correct it or he just won't give a fuck and be just fine.

i would prefer to feel bad for the stakeholders and his higher ups who bet money on a company that was looking to boom up and instead is wasting resources and opportunities to do better due to the retardation of a dozen people at R&D.

Those are so fucking hard to read.

well considering he's a pathetic unpaid WOTC intern desperately trying to impress someone instead of getting coffee, its no wonder he's towing the party line like a good little brainwashed drone.

Masterpieces are garbage, MTG has been garbage since Innistrad

I don't feel bad for the guy for succeeding, that's stupid.

I feel bad because this IS his dream job and he's trying what he feels is his best and it's come to the point that he just expects people to shit on his vision.

I mean, It's overall not a good vision, but I know I hate it when people shit on my dreams.Plus, being the voice of the company means that every time something goes wrong, everyone blames him, or at least bitches about it to him. That's gotta wear on the guy

As someone who doesn't play magic, the cards are already a pain in the ass to interpret. Why bother notching up the difficulty?

I think this shit looks ugly as all hell.

Imma buy 4 FoW and slam them in manaless dredge

>Contrast is just a cheap trick to make weak art stronger

go back to facebook games you disgusting faggot

MtG, at least in the last 15 years, has the clearest and most functional card wording of all card games i know.
for almost all cards there is only one way to word them and only one way to interpret them.

There is indeed a large amount of keyworded abilities, but that happens in every game.

>Doesnt look like a MTG card
>Color is shown with stripes
>Mana symbols not colored
>Hard to read CMC
>Hard to read card types
>Hard to read name
>A/D is set up weird
>Rules text is centered
>Artwork credit takes up a lot of space
>Legal words do not match the rest of the card
>Attempts a "3D perspective" effect but looks 2D as fuck in real life giving an extremely fake CGI feel to the card

Holy fuck man who approved this shit? The worst part is my last point Obvious CGI art is bad enough but the whole card screams early 90's CGI and it looks horrible.

It's more than that, I think.

There's no way he doesn't know that Magic has only become more and more corporate, with decisions being made entirely to rake in a large audience and not to make a good game with an intriguing story. I would be surprised if he isn't a little sad that they have to pander to the tumblr market and make a story that's trying to shove a mockery of the superhero formula into a fantasy world.

And he has to defend all this. He gets hate and insults flung at him for things that weren't even his decision. For all we know any given point of contention he could have fought tooth and nail to NOT HAVE, and now he has to sit there as people tell him it's his fault that thing is ruining Magic, and then defend it using his polite doublespeak.

That's not to say he doesn't love his job and love interacting with the Magic community. His tumblr blog and his podcasts are both done completely on his own volition. But at the same time, you gotta have some respect for a man who serves as the hate sink for an entire team of people of which he only controls a fraction.

Its more of most players realize they will likely get ONE masterpiece series draw in their life. They are mad because that one lucky draw could turn out to be one of these ugly pieces of shit.

>be in bed with SJWs
>use tacky egypt font with random ass hieroglyphs to make it seem more """egyptian"""
JUST

Maro is a hollow corporate shill who does whatever his paycheck tells him to. Stop idolizing filth you disgusting SJW assbag.

>Doesnt look like a MTG card
it looks like one, it just happen to also look like a yugiho one.Technically all unique border cards are bound to not look like a mtg card.
>Color is shown with stripes
and? you can still point it out easily since it's the only color in the borders
>Mana symbols not colored
but they are perfectly understandable and they look sculpted in stone. fortuantely they didn't print any card with complex colore mana like cruel ultimatum.
>Hard to read CMC
it's pretty clear.
>Hard to read card types
>Hard to read name
oh no! i have to spend an extra half a second finding out if it's an istant or sorcery on a highly recognizable legacy card. Oh wait, it actually reads better on paper due to foiling highlighting the true name and types.
>A/D is set up weird
how dare them trying something slightly different! It's not like everyone will understand on first sight the upper number is power and the lower toughness...
>Rules text is centered
looks good and different and majestic, especially for cards with little text. text positioning won't kill you i swear.
>Artwork credit takes up a lot of space
first you cry out that you can't read shit, now that words take too much space. Artist need to be credited for those fantastic artworks, you know?
>Legal words do not match the rest of the card
what does that even mean? if you mean the glyphs any 3 year old will understand they are to be ignored.They are a decoration and they are not letters. I guess they will make you happy by writing a side note in the official rules.
>>Attempts a "3D perspective" effect but looks 2D as fuck in real life giving an extremely fake CGI feel to the card
medieval frescos had that window effect too.Go tell Giotto he looks CGI.Before criticizing something you barely know think if you'd really be able to do any better. you may think yes, but the truth is NO.