Late night, come home, Break sucks, I know
Spicy Opinions on Porcine
Backer Surveys went out!
Abuse Slavs
Discussion on /ourvidya/

The KS link & Opaque's website
kickstarter.com/projects/2006613790/song-of-swords-tabletop-roleplaying-game
songofswords.net/

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. The Kickstarter was nearly 300% funded, and we're on the fast track to kicking ass baby.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements. It's NOT what's currently on Opaque's website, because Jimmy is Jimmy.
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

Last Thread: The Legend Lives On!

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/races/other
m.youtube.com/watch?v=396rERpXHCU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So, one of the visionary nobles here. What do you guys plan on getting drawn/canonized?

We've unanimously agreed on Alligator Crocodile Man

is this a discord meme

I'm just an ex-Con trying to get my kids back through realistic medieval combat

Probably the BBEG of The Boar game.

You mean that half-man, half-gator dude who kept biting people to death?

Your autism isn't funny. Nobody knows what the fuck you're talking about.

>The croc degenerate is back
Thankfully this time I have prepared a ward against his heresy

I'm getting one of the fechts I ran canonized, should be good fun.

Fuck Mang, I'm out

Reposting from the last thread. Please help.

I have a player who really wants to play Fetchlings or something very similar, as a Tier 2 (maybe 3) race If I make them Tier 3 then they"ll need more buffs AND some penalties. Don't worry, it's not for the Tattered Realms.

How can I expand on them or make them different, mechanically and fluff wise from PF Fetchlings?

So far I took the abilities I thought I could translate from PF ( d20pfsrd.com/races/other races/featured-races/arg-fetchling/ ) into SoS.

Tenebrae, Tier 2 Race
>See in Shadow: When in low-light conditions, Tenebrae treat each stage of Lighting as one step less severe on the table, because of their excellent eyesight in the dark (i.e. Pitch Black becomes Poorly Lit, Poorly Lit becomes Dimly Lit, and Dimly Lit becomes Evenly Lit). However, they cannot see colors when in the dark.
>Shadow Blending: Enemies take -2 Combat/Missile Pool when targeting you in when you're in Dimly Lit, Poorly Lit or in Pitch Black environments.
>Skilled: +1 bonus on Stealth checks.
>Shadowy Resistance: -1 damage from Cold and Electricity damage.

That honestly looks fine for bonuses, I'd just give them + and - a couple of stats.

Fine for a Tier 2 race, balanced against Zells and Dwarves? The only thing is that they lack any kind of penalties. Zells have Glossophobia and Strange Tastes. Dwarves have The Call of the Deep.

Then again their benefits aren't very major. Maybe I can just give them -1 STR and END, and call it a day?

Shadow-din

Night Eyes:They can see + stage of light

Ethnic Minority: When in Dim Light, if they are the target of a missile treat them as being in X stages darker

Operational Operator: When using the Stealth Skill count 1 die as if it has already succeeded.

Insulation: Ignore 1 damage from heat & cold damage. Also they ignore stun from the Burdinadin Shock upgrade.

+1 Agi, -1 Wit

Always Beautiful except this art, jesus christ

No, that might even be too much of a penalty. Zells and Dwarves don't have stat penalties, so keep it to -1 STR or -1 END, or none even since you aren't giving them any stat bonuses. You are paying PCP for this, don't hit them too hard.

There's not a good way to do -Wisdom in Song of Swords other than giving them brain damage or increasing the cost of skills.

I'd dare say you could make Proficiency/Schools harder but any player who can figure that shit out deserves every single point he pays for.

We've already got a slightly off color race that has +2 AGI so- whatever is fine really. +2 and +1 to whatever attributes

It was less -wisdom and more of the description "Superficially, fetchlings resemble unnaturally lithe—bordering on fragile—humans. "

Lads I once again pose the question of the thread iconic. The following has been suggested.

>Zellish Guts, adherent of the Rade Stark ideal, and possessor of encyclopedic knowledge of arms and armor.
>The Waifumancer. A foppish sop obsessed with all these rough women with their wild ways. He chases, always, Gizka and Eskarne, Joan and the Pontifatrix, and the Moon, too. His hunt has no end, and he can never rest, but he is glad. He knows he is on the path of virtue. If only he could leave his mother's villa...
>Crocodile Man
>Genoized Zell adventuring for fairly earned money with which is purchase a ship.
>Gallian Squire who was knighted as his master died, but no one believes him, so he adventures on Errantry to prove himself.
>Karthacki Cartographer and Naturalist who is yet another fool seeking to map the world, but also categorize its fauna, monstrous and not.

It seems that we are torn over the age old question of whether or not we meme.

How about we make the last one a woman who obstensibly identifies as a gay man to please SJW transniggers but it's actually just a plain waifu?

Cartographer.
Suckstart a shotgun, leave that shit for MtG

>being this mad

Least it means I care

I like the cartographer and the squire. Probably the cartographer a bit more than the squire.

Cartographer.

Is the Squire supposed to be like Don Quixote in his adventures or is he more bland? I support him only if he fights windmills

I posted all the information related to the characters. Feel free to develop them as you see fit.

cart

Cartographer is a trap option

You are literally shitting away your slot on a guy who bought ink and paper.
Probably has 'Knowledge: Maps' as a skill.

Very enticing.

>Last time on SoS
>/sos/ discusses the most incendiary political topics of the day with total indifference
>More people are concerned about whether or not it is safe to pet police dogs than in the fate of nations

Top kek at the best board on Veeky Forums being one thread on Veeky Forums.

>Implying no survival or combat skills
The guy is supposed to be one of the premades for an AP, don't be such an obtuse fucking bitch. Besides, it's dangerous out in the wild what with bandits and invisible tigers

Is this Gaia

Please user, this is a blue board.

Hi there. user/Lurker since the previous thread, since I learned about the game shortly after the Kickstarter. *cries a little*

Would it be too much to ask for someone to explain Schools clearer? Or at least, clearer than 1.9.9 does?

I can try.

Okay, say you want to make an Officer school, the most important thing to look at is the "Cost" entry, in the case of Officer it's
>Cost: [1]+2 per Primary at adoption, +1 per Secondary
So you pay 1 proficiency point as base cost, that is the [1]. And for every Primary proficiency you pay 2, and for Secondary profs 1 extra.
Another important point is this entry:
>Proficiencies: 1-3 Primary [+1], 1-6 Secondary [+0]
Which means you MUST have at least 1 Primary and 1 Secondary prof, and can have as much as 3 primary and 6 secondary profs. And primary proficiencies get treated as being 1 level higher than the school level (that's the [+1]) and secondaries are equal to the school level.
Apart from the costs of adding the proficiencies to a shool, you must also buy the "Proficiency Core" which is an additional 1 Proficiency Point per proficiency added (the first entry on the table on page 186 of the regular SoS pdf). Unless you are human, humans don't pay that cost.
After you have chosen, added and paid for the schools (+the base cost) you have the school at level 1 and can level it as if it were a single proficiency using the table on page 186.

So for example you want to make an officer school with 1H Sword and Polearm as primary proficiencies, and Grappling as a secondary proficiency:
You pay The base cost of 1, two times the cost of adding a primary proficiency, and one time the cost of a secondary proficiency, on top of that if you are not a human, you pay 1 additional point per proficiency. So:
[1]Base cost + 2* 2 Primary cost + 1* 1 Secondary cost + (if not human) 3* 1 Proficiency Core cost.

>be shot
You mean
>be ventilated in a hail of gunfire because we chose to charge a man with an SMG while we had next to no armour instead of hiding around the corner

So I can take a set of proficiencies, and once I've paid for both the Proficiency Core and the individual costs of my selection, I can level up the set as if it were one Proficiency?

Pretty much, yes.

>quads of indisputable truth
R I P

Bannerlord soon?

Nothing, because no dollars no life.

I weight my votes from most to least as
>Squire
>Cartographer
>'Croc Man

Yes, Lewis and Clark were such push overs, being military veterans and all.

Thanks, fellow user.

And while I'm here, has anybody made a magic system that isn't inherently/ somewhat evil or for monks? Say, one that resembles the usual DnD set?

The only thing right now would be Void Magic from Ballad I think.
Others I know of are The way of five which is also from Ballad (Monk~ish), Unkindly Magic (Evil), Dark Pyromancy (Evil)

Sorcery won't be evil but it's not done yet.

Way of Five is very monk-like but for guns, exception being paladins.

It's based off of equilibrium iirc

What kind of names do Ohanedin have?

Basque names.

Holy shit that's what I was gonna go for. This game is awesome

Just so you know, the Burds also use Basque names. The older they are, the more Basque.

Finally Iberians get some love

It was an unusual choice, but very cool.

Jimmy mentioned that they had actually been in talks with Taleworlds for a while about something. Maybe now that SoS is actually happening we'll get a Tattered Realms mod.

Squire.

You could have a cool guy who hits on all the stoic "too good for a man" females or you can have a guy who spent 7cp

In Ballad, are there space Muslims?

What about Dwarves?

>implying crocodile man isn't the best option

to be fair; Crocodile Man is the only character so far that has a written strategy for winning fights and isn't just 'guy w/ sword' or something.

>Find Faces
>Eat Faces

I mean, At least making Johnny DicksStabs stab dicks

Post proofs?

Jimmy, you gotta explain how the fuck day and night works in Ballad.

There are stars, right? You call them eyes? Are they literally eyes? Do they blink? Is rain actually tears?

Are there moons? Do they orbit islands? Do Islands orbit them? In the past, you've sort of implied that suns are different from stars, and that they give off light from a yolk. Is that still true?

If the eyes blink out at night, does that mean the Void has completely lightless nights?

>He doesn't want the comfy adventurer lifestyle of a cartographer who gets dragged into adventures while mapping the infinite steppe and the depths of the shwarzvald
Fucking shit taste

>an echo sounds from the past:
In Escher's defense, he absolutely does have time for girly things like combing his hair. He is one of the consistently best dressed and best groomed men in Vosca. He personally invented jackboots, cufflinks and cravats, as well as a peculiar style of nail-filing. Kar-Ischil also exports macassar oil in green bottles that are instantly recognizable across Vosca. It is broadly assumed that Escher was responsible for this as well.

It's in the archive somewhere, but he mentioned it once. Nothing came of it.

>mapping a shwarzvald
Seems like a Sisyphean task.

That only means that the guy is later made a saint for his heroic labour to impose order on a literal manifestation of darkness and insanity.

When have Genosians ever let a little something like utter futility get in the way of honest toil?

Jimmy, do you endorse the Alligator Man?

>Jingo Fett
>Old lore
Clearly that's not Jimmy

>>Zellish Guts
>not karthacki guts with massive club

How would you characterize Japanese armor in the system, specifically stuff throughout the Sengoku era?

At the beginning, I think it would all be lamellar stuff for the samurai. However, then we start getting "tosei gusoku" ("modern armor")which is described as being made from iron plates riveted together, and then the "bullet tested" armor which copied European designs.

How's this sound for a SoS chronology?
Lamelar
Laminar
Bullet-Proof Plate

Iron Plate: 8/7/6
Bulletproof whatever; 10/9/8

Those are the stats. I've got the book, I was just thinking about what matched.

What is counted as "bullet-proof" armor in the rule-set? I know historically they would test it at a long range and show off the dent, but that at short range it still didn't do much to stop people from getting shot up.

In the system, with 9 piercing AV and bulletproof, a bulletproof plate vest will leave someone shooting them with an arquebus loaded with ball doing only the damage that they get in bonus successes. Which is still pretty good I guess.

We don't have stats for layered paper yet, so it's hard to characterize.

I believe it's just the Chinese that did paper armor, the "bulletproof" Japanese armor was metal.

No no, I'm certain the Japanese had that lacquered paper and wood armour.

kys

I can't find anything on this subject. Lacquer was used to keep metal dry, but I don't think that wood was used in anything but decorative parts of Japanese armor.

It was used by Inuit people in their (frankly shitty) leather laminar armor, but that's not really in the same ballpark.

he's trolling probably, almost everyone knows that the wood armour thing is a meme that the porras took back to europe after seeing them use it in stage productions

Wood was used on Japanese armour, it's just that the samurai didn't use it, but they weren't the only warriors in Japanese culture

All of the examples of use of wood as armor seem to be either for purely aesthetic purposes, or from cultures that had yet to discover metal. Given its limitations as a material this seems rather reasonable.

Are there any examples you can cite of functional armor from Japan which used wood as a part of the actual armor, rather than ornamentation?

Hi there. Same user who asked how Schools worked here, and not the guy talking about wooden armor

I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't give/make citations as that would take forever, but I can leave a link that might help.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=396rERpXHCU

That's the video of The Metatron answering whether or not Wooden Armor in Japan was a real thing, specifically in regards to the Samurai/Chosen in For Honor wearing the stuff instead of the usual metal armor they'd have had.

Hope it helps.

The Metatron is what I always imagined Jimmy to be like in person for some reason, they seem like very similar people. We should lock them in a room together and force them to eat pasta and compare broadswords.

The best actor in that entire series.

You mean katanas and gladius?

>Metatron:
I think katana is a better weapon against a gladius, unless it has a Scutum in which case it is a better weapon because the defensive potential--

>Jimmy:
When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil’s walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.

>Metatron:
Wew

>Jimmy:
Pinochet did nothing wrong, now let me tell you about elves.

tl;dr, yes, it was a thing in Japan, but we're talking centuries before samurai were even a thing.

As said in the video, the equivalent would be the typical army soldier wearing Plate Armor against modern bullets.

Onto something more related to the game; specifically, how some parts of the current PDF is structured/typed.

Some parts are more clearly described than others, while others... not so much (I'm looking at you, Schools). But another thing is how it suddenly throws an acronym or term you've never read before into your face and decides to let you guess on your own. Some are easier to guess than others, like AVC/P/B, but the point stands.

I understand that this is anything but the final version, but still. It'd be nice.

Plate armor is useless, but chain armor with visor and a metal shield would actually work against a few rounds of non AM bullets.

Which was his point. Wooden armor Vs Katana/Naginata/etc. would be comparable, though not exactly the same. That set might work, but I'd obviously prefer modern Kevlar against modern bullets. Much cheaper, as far as I can tell, and lighter than a suit of armor any day.

You guys like blades, I made one.

Knives aren't my thing, but it's a nice looking knife.

Use it to cut someone in the shoulder really hard. If you bisect him then you're good at SoS IRL

Gut them instead. Much easier than trying to cut through bone with a single-edged knife.

Too bad my irl STR is really shit.

Not in SoS

Maybe it's the newfag part of me, but how is bisecting a man with a knife harder than cutting open his stomach with a knife?

It's a joke about the description of level 5 cutting shoulder wounds

There's a lot less bone in the second example.

I'm in the process of making a sidesword. Potato phone, and not yet done, but here it is:

Blade was laser cut from 6mm thick 1060 or 1070, after which I beat the distal taper in from 6 to about 2mm. After that, I put a bevel on the edges to get the right cross section. Then I did the rough grind and straightening, while working on the hilt and pommel. The hilt was cut from the same steel and consists of a crossguard, knucklebow and some loops to protect my fingers and knuckles. The pommel started as an offcut that I welded some rebar to and shaped with a rounding hammer. All that's left is heat treatment and then furnishing and cleaning! It's my first proper smithing project and my first sword, but I think it's coming along nicely. Because it's a practice weapon I rolled the tip, and also I don't really mind if it ends up being a little wonky or rough

close up of the hilt. The longer loop is meant to protect my fingers when fingering the hilt, but on its own it doesn't really do the job. From most angles it does fine, but a simple cover against a blow to my outside would bypass it entirely. So I turned the second, more squat loop 45 degrees up, and now basically only thrusts can hit those fingers. However, the squat loop was meant to protect my knuckles and now provides less protection, so I'm going to spread it a little bit so that it covers them a bit more