A kingdom of honorable knights

>A kingdom of honorable knights.
>Except they are ghouls and eat evil beings in the name of their god.

Could they still be lawful good?

Yes

Kind of sounds like the broken lords.
Except the other way around. Previously chivalrous and just knights who now have to resort to feeding off innocents to stay alive.

>knigths fight evil
>knights eat evil
I don't see the problem.

It totally works. Alignments are what you want them to be. If in your setting undead aren't inherently evil or maybe there's a way to create neutral or even good undead, sure, you can do that.
Especially when they have a god which supports it, since that god is probably good and/or lawful as well

>Doomguy but hungrier and with actual morals

Yeah sure. Could be a covenant of redeemed undead or sumfin'.

They could definitely be good.
Lawful is a bit of a harder swing but still possible. If they have a strict code of chivalry then sure.

They have their bows.
Do they have a Good patron deity?
If yes, then yes. If no, then it may be debatable.

>lawful good means you must be good and lawful
That's not how it works and you know it

Good and bad all depend on culture and/or context.
If you want to make an action a good action, then go and justify it however you want.

Go away relativist, you're not needed here

>relativism

Knights don't use bows.

Capital G "Good" is not the same as "good". The former is an alignment, the latter is an evaluation. To a society that is Evil-aligned, Evil is obviously "good". But that doesn't make it Good.

The problem is what if the Evil doesn't come out to play for a month? Who do you eat then? How long until you start eating the innocent peasants and simply calling them evil to soothe your conscious.

No. No they can't. See above. The moment they start chomping on the long pork, it's game over for the being good.

Brother, that is of the utmost radical of justices.

Seriously, that sounds awesome.

>but what if they eat good people

That's not the question.
Ghouls can wait a ridiculous amount of time before withering away.
The question is whether or not you could cannibalize dead evil beings and still be lawful good.

The answer depends on the setting. I'd personally say yes.

In D&D and it's many Me Too settings evil is a real, measurable thing and all undead radiate it.

So no, they couldn't. They also wouldn't be the type of people who have the thought "But we'll only eat people who are bad guys!" because they are the spawn of fucking Orcus.

>what if the Evil doesn't come out to play for a month? Who do you eat then?

Then you declare a crusade against an evil elsewhere. Crusades are knightly, pursuing evildoers is knightly, ought to go hand in hand.

>The problem is what if the Evil doesn't come out to play for a month?
Then you go and find some evil.

Shouldn't be too hard, my party can't seem to go more than a week without running into a group of bandits, cult to a dark god, or a settlement of Always CE goblins.

Why are you assuming that they wouldn't allow themselves to wither away and die if evil was banished and there were no more evil beings to eat?

Wait hold up. An entire kingdom of just Honorable Knights?
These fuckers have an army large enough to lay siege to hell itself what are they doing lazing about around here?

The sun burns. I leave the tunnels, and the sun burns. White light, beating upon my head like fists on a drum, driving out thoughts of anything but escape.

The storyteller says that it is a curse we must bear, for we are the children of Cain. She tells of a time when the sun was as gentle as the moon, and our tribe walked the lands above with nothing but stars as our firmament. Back when our homes were felt tents instead of soft loam and wooden caskets. When our food was bread and wine, instead of splintered bone and rotting marrow. Before we were driven beneath the Earth-mother's skin, and warped in her image.

I do not trouble myself with such things, nor do the others of my caste. When the sun falls and the others eat, my kin and I do not follow. There is work to be done, for we are not alone here, in the tunnels.

There are other things, older things. Those which even the earth has forgotten. Things whose blood runs cold and bitter upon the tongue, and whose bones are strange and harder than cruel iron. They are dead, like us, but with time and starvation even the shape of men has been lost to them.

They are mad with hunger.

And they never stop coming.

Ours is not the un-life of stolen feasts in the graveyards of men. That is the life we buy for those above -- a tithe we pay gladly every night. We grow gaunt with hunger. We grow wearier with each battle. But honor, and cruel necessity, demand nothing less than victory each night. We owe it to those we have sired upon this earth.

To save our children, we eat the dead.

Lawful Ghoul

Explain your reasoning, and I'll dig up Gygex to stop his corpse from rolling in his grave.

My DM wouldn't let me play Dox Quixote as a death knight.