What are some real-yet-extinct animals you have used in campaigns or worldbuilding?

What are some real-yet-extinct animals you have used in campaigns or worldbuilding?

Best marsupial related.

And a bonus for your nightmares.

Aurochs, baby

If you like your cows bigger and meaner

The Warrah.

Marsupial lions are scary.

Oh so no hell pig...

I like Chalicotheres as alternatives to regular beasts of burden.

I had an idea for notWestAfrica civilization that uses these things for 'jousts'. Instead of rushing at each other the animals would do a sort of standing wrestle while the riders try and both stay mounted and knock their opponent of with some sort of nonlethal blumt weapon.

Wooly rhinos.

They were cool as fuck, criminally underrated.

Mother Fucking Dinosaurs Bitch

Honestly, I want to work on a fantasy setting where most of the monsters are extinct animals or the more down to earth cryptids, instead of dragons, unicorns, and other overtly fantastical creatures.

Obligatory

Great Elk, Mammoths, Aurochs, Saber-toothed Tigers, Short Faced Bears, Dire Wolves, Giant Sloths, Woolly Rhinos, Megaladons, Cave Hyenas and Neanderthals.

The homeland of the elves was somewhat unkind to visitors. And cold.

>Chalicotheres
Going to be adding these should the opportunity arise.

They haven't made it to the actual "civilized" places yet and the neanderthal capital (only) city. This will definitely be the local pack mule equivalent. Fucking thing looks awesome, like the best parts of a horse and a gorilla.

My players are cornering an enemy druid. Thinking the so far useless druid will die, the players let the druid one last word. The druid beast formed into pic related.

I had Macrauchenia as beasts of burden in a mesoamerica themed campaign. I'm sure they inhabited vastly different niches and temperaments in reality but I think they make for funny looking horses.

Good news, they actually live in about the same environments as horses. Only difference is they tend to eat a lot of leafy vegetation in addition to (or moreso than) grass

>Australia could have been a crazy jungle filled with amazing megafauna
>the natives decided to burn the entire fucking island down to the ground

I could have seen a 6000 pound wombat in my life.

>the natives decided to burn the entire fucking island down to the ground
It's fucking Australia, the place had it coming.

Wow. America was like Africa plus. What the hell happened?

6000 pound wombats man, Echidnas the size of large dogs, the adorable carnivore in pic related, actual dropbears, Super Emus, and a six meter long crocodile that ran down it's prey with it's developed running legs that looked like a fucking dinosaur.

You know how cool that would have been?

Ice Age ended, and the environment they were specialized for rapidly disappeared and was replaced with thick ass forests.

I love Glyptodons!

>Giant Sloths
Sword bears.

Well, technically?

Global warming.

>leaving even a chance for those THINGS to get off the island and destroy us all

Think of the children, user!

This. I think the Abbos deserve their supply of petrol and mentholated spirits as payment for their destruction of the threat.

>your party is exploring an ancient underwater ruin using water breathing

>all of the sudden this badass motherfucker appears

what the fuck do you bitch ass faggots think you're going to do while snippy the sea scorpion pinches the shit out of you?

Not extinct, but this subclade of arachinds is underappreciated.

>snibeti snab
fug :DD

showderp stop leaking

Is there ANY party that could take on Citizen Snips in his fully powered up final form?

>6000 pound wombats
>Echidnas the size of large dogs
>the adorable carnivore in pic related
>actual dropbears
>Super Emus
>a six meter long crocodile that ran down it's prey with it's developed running legs that looked like a fucking dinosaur.
You answered your own question.

I for one am glad there aren't gigantic murder-reptiles that run faster than horses and eat everything made of meat in the world

>ctrl+f
>no entelodont
>how and why

Sabre-toothed cats motherfucker!