MtG EDH/Commander General

>MTG EDH/Commander General
>Where's my bike-Edition

>Last time, on /edh/:

>RESOURCES

>>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
>mtgcommander.net

>>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
>tappedout.net

>>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
>edhrec.com/

>>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
>manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>>Official search site. Current for all sets.
>gatherer.wizards.com/

>>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
>magiccards.info/

>>Thread question
>What is your favorite card or way to steal spells or permanents? Do you keep the stolen stuff for multiple turns, return it at end step or sooner with a sac effect or something like that?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/liliana-dark-madness/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-12-16-landsdec/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghave-control-combo/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Personally, I enjoy Corrupted Conscience. It's a Mind Control that can be a win-con against the right decks.

i run this with norin.

I personally took my old Kokusho Deck and did a build around Gonti with stuff like conjurers closet and panharmonicon and colorless flicker effects along with blade of selves for maximum shenanigans and steal your goodstuff effects I want to achieve the dream of stealing someones combo and using it against them to kill the table or just to have counterspells in a mono black deck

Anyone have a Borborygmos Enraged decklist just got done building one however its mostly just gruul goodstuff with stuff that synergizes with bobo as a secondary.

If it's my turn and I draw a miracle, can I play a land to help cast it?

Discuss. Is it still Overpowered?

no miracle is a replacment effect at instant speed during your draw step you have no opportunity to play lands to help cast the spell

No its only really op in duel commander in multiplayer its usually not good enough to outlast three opponents.

I don't know, i think this assumption is counting too much with "hate" from other opponents. It could be blown the fuck out in the early game, but i think a normal play grould would not do that.

Miracle is actually a triggered ability.

sorry I am not a judge but I was pulling from memory from one of the ask a judge threads

Turns out this is my only Grull Legendary. I know she's shit but are there any tricks with her?

She is a cheap dork.

I love brewing with legends in my binder. But she's pretty shit.

Yeah I was thinking I"d just go goodstuff ramp. I've got a lot of RG Goodstuff cards but I live in the ass end of nowhere and don't want to wait 2+ weeks to order a better commander in.

>live in the ass end of nowhere

Where do you go and play...?

I've got some friends and family who play. Most of them are quite casual.

Also once every two months or so if I'm in the nearest city (200km) I'll go there for a few games.

Living in a tiny town like that just seems awful desu. Anyway, you should brew something with cards you already have. It'll be good since everyone's casual anyway.

Yeah it's pretty shit. I'm hoping to move overseas next year but by then I'll have to most likely have to learn German well to be able to play over there.

It's worth noting that because everyone else is super casual I do win 90% of the time. They never get annoyed which is nice.

Try elfball with actual fireballs

>used to play and build EDH obsessively
>would play all day Saturday and Sunday
>did this for almost a year
>stop going to shop in January
>other group gets busy with real life
>lose all interest
>friend wants to play in 2 weeks

Fuck. I kind of want to play, but I haven't touched my decks in months. Some of them are half built and missing shit, and I have ideas I want to put together, but just don't have the motivation.

That actually sounds quite fun. I've got quite a few decent mono green elves and adding some Fireballs to use all those mana elves to blow people up could be fun.

Throw in Savage Ventmaw and Hellkite Charger.
It's not technically infinite because the moment you stop punching or Radha dies, you lose infinite. Back that shit up with some Rosheen + X-sized fireballs. Eat, breathe, and shit excess mana.

>friends stop playing EDH for a few months
>still want to play EDH
>can't justify spending $12 or whatever to go to EDH night at the LGS
I hate that I can't play casual EDH without prizes on the line, and I can't really suggest otherwise since I'd be actively taking money away from the store.

Sounds terrible

How do you sit down and focus on one or two decks, tg? I feel like I need to build a million and one different decks. Then, when I win a game or two, I take them apart because I feel like I've hit the end.

So this guarantees that the new gods are all mono colored, right?

They fit into the number crunch as monocolored Invocations.

Maro confirmed monocolor

new spoiler

Fuck yeah now I can cast my Chainer's twice and my creatures twice in pauper.

Any spicy Bruna tech?

What's your prize deck, /edhg/?

What's your most fun deck?

Hit me with those themes, ideas, key cards. I'm curious.

Nice Trips

I only have one deck, but it's my baby. Ideally I one hit players with Wound Reflection+Sorin Markov/Exsanguinate/Gray Merchant/Hatred

Ashling was super fun, I loved gaining hundreds of life in big pods in monored but she showed the game down so much that it became a chore to use in my LGS's pods. I had the same problem with Archangel Avacyn boardwipe.dec but that deck did amazingly well.

Marchesa is the final evolution and is basically a Mardu tokens list and grinds games really well but not so damn slowly.

>What's your prize deck, /edhg/?
>What's your most fun deck?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/liliana-dark-madness/
Fun for me at least. I have a bunch bunch of madness and recursion while keeping the average cmc down. At one point, I accidentally had 28 lands, and my average CMC was still low as shit and still won, too.

>Hit me with those themes, ideas, key cards. I'm curious.
A bunch of people were bitching about infinite combos in the meta, so I made sure I had none in mine (I cut P-Altar). The end result is a grindy value deck that eventually gets Lili's emblem into overwhelming value. I love it.

>themes
Any card in the deck that can have Liliana's art, does. Including Demonic Tutor. Also, Rise of the Dark Realms and full art Liliana's Spectre are pet cards. I also have the SDCC black flip Liliana, but I still just use the normal because it's easier to read. Finally, I have a bunch of foil zombies I use for her flip trigger from SoI.

Unrelated, I'm also getting a beta Sacrifice to have a black bordered one.

Definitely my Azusa. It used to be a competitive build until I tuned it to this. I need to get aholf of New Emrakul and the old Eldrazi for it tho.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-12-16-landsdec/

Our LGS has a commander night and they don't charge us. We ultimately buy more food, drinks, accessories, and singles than any other night they have too. Even more than FNM.

$12 is a little high too. Maybe $5 and keep the prizes low ended.

I was fiddling with a red/green deck that used fast mana for eldazi for a while. The commander was borborygmos

Squee control. Just board wipes while grinding out card advantage with Squee recursion. Combo out with some artifact bullshit or end it with Eldrazi/Blightsteel.

It's the only deck I've kept together for more than a few months and the only deck I've ever bothered trying to pimp out. I'll never take it apart.

I'm trying to build my manabase and this card piqued my interest, but i don't know the actual mechanics behind phasing in and out, good thing this is just a land, but when i put it on the battlefield, is it phased in from the start and phases out at the beginning of my next untap step? So it's essentially unusuable for 2 turns?

>12$
Jesus fucking christ, do you play in a club or something? What are the prizes, because that's some high amount of money, unless you're a spiderbong.

It's bad.

First turn, tapped.
Second turn, phased out.
Third turn, you can finally use it.

A basic island nets you more mana over a game. You're better off using a bounceland if you're multicolor. Even pic related is probably better, but still bad.

Turn 1 drop it, phased in (but tapped)
Turn 2 it phases out before you untap it
Turn 3 it phases in before you untap it, then you untap it and can use it
Repeat 2 and 3 indefinitely

Pretty much the only playable cards with Phasing are Shimmer (to fuck with your opponents) and Vanishing (protection for Voltron).

thanks, no wonder that land is dirt cheap

>Making the invocations hard to read was intentional

If thats seriously the case, and this isint just an elaborate april fools, then the least they could have done was make the actual words in the name and type lines shine a different color in the foil distinct from the random glyphs. That way you can still have the confusing from certain angles, but be able to pick it out with some jostling.

I am seriously hoping that wizards spoils the gods today or tomorrow and they are absolutely terrible and make everyone super pissed. Then on 4/1 they release the actual borders and gods and we all get a good laugh out of it. God I hope.

The cards are already printed. What we see is what we get.

You don't think if wizards wanted to troll us they couldnt print up a few fakes to throw us off the trail?

>then the least they could have done was make the actual words in the name and type lines shine a different color in the foil distinct from the random glyphs.
But they did

If you say so. In the twitter gif I saw I didnt see any difference in color between the letters and the glyphs right next to them.

It's a company, they never troll. The few people that like the spoilered invocations would be pissed as well.

it depends how shitty you want to be, she is only good in rg ld.
you play a bunch of mana elves and Stone rains, decimate, rack and ruin etc. things that give your mana dorks haste, and anti blue anti counter shit. it's really good in 1v1 mediocre at best in multi-player.

Is Archangel Avacyn fun? Should I spend lots of money on a deck for her?

Do you like Boros Charm?

Damn. Here I was hoping I'd get some solid gypo cards to go in my boros deck and instead they give me nubians. NUBIANS!

Yes.

Looking forward to the "You may exert creatures you control as they attack, if you do..." enchantment to go with this dude

She's not bad, but she's not that great either. Giving her lifelink and flipping her is nice, but what strategy would you even use with her?

>What is your favorite card or way to steal spells or permanents? Do you keep the stolen stuff for multiple turns, return it at end step or sooner with a sac effect or something like that?

I run a red deck. I run a red creature jack deck. I run barrage of expendables.

Turning all of your Wraths into Plague Winds obviously retard.

I didn't really think of a strategy. I just felt like playing white/red and thought that wiping the board with my commander would be fun.

Frontline Medic, Selfless Spirit, Boros Charm, Ghostway and Eerie Interlude

Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Chain Reaction, that new C16 Wrath, Blasphemous Act, Nev's Disk, Magus of the Disk, various amounts of shitty 5-6 drop Wraths

Fast mana, Pearl Medallion to go off with just your commander and a Wrath, powerful token producers and Planeswalkers to accrue value.

Bam, a whole deck built around Boros Charm: the Commander and I've still left you enough room for like an entire major theme.

Why not both?

tell me about the squirrels

11/10 flavor

Nice.

Needs Sands of Time to lock out phasing, then it's pretty legit. Otherwise it's very slow to pay off.

>paying the wrath mana + Avacyn (with tax) for a onesided boardwipe
That's 9 mana minimum with two different spells. What if someone stifles? What if someone counters avacyn if you respond to the wrath with her?
Might as well use the original Avacyn, since at least the ID stays on.

Did you not read literally anything else in my post?

Plus you could run Cloudshift and several other blinking effects to make the cost reasonable. Regardless it's still ridiculous card advantage in RW while still playing relatively decent standalone effects. It's not like casual EDH games don't get to nine mana to hard cast the combo, let alone four-five to cheat the effect in somehow.

But your post was literally "turning your wraths into plague winds, retard".
There's no depth in it and it's not obvious that some other post is yours, since you're not a namefag or a tripfag and thankfully so.
Still, it's a meta thing. She's best used as utility and really shouldn't be focused on too much as in giving too much cards that don't do much without her.

Wraths in a white deck are hardly a "focus" and are included in a decent amount of decks. They're your main way of downplaying the fact that everyone has a better deck than you.

I don't really agree with her being used as utility because you're giving up the only huge advantage she provides and now you're just playing RW, which is obviously fucking awful.

I don't know about your meta but cheap Plague Winds are pretty useful even against T2 decks like tuned Edric.

Sure thing. My meta is really creature-light, so it might explain it, but I really don't see how she's powerful. At least with Boros Charm you can nuke lands, but AA affects only creatures

I run both of these in Thromok, it's great.

former jew-gi-oh here who is tired of Konami's shit and would like advice on getting into MTG. Is it worth it right now? Any other bros who came from ygo?

>mono-color

So we are getting two core sets we in a row.

My girl, Ruby Misreader. Innistrad flickers are the obvious spice with her but shit like Perplexing Chimera is really juicy especially in a control shell.

Hate determines threat assessment and how much people don't want to have to play around that deck to execute their game-plan. I don't think one can definitively say what the average group would do because it's all about power level of the deck and the group. If we're talking full fun Oloro Stax mode in a playgroup averaging about the power level of the latest precon decks, anyone with half-decent threat assessment will target the Oloro player. But that hypothetical makes a lot of assumptions which loops back to my point that it's difficult to say what the average group is.

EDH is the wacky weirdo version of Magic. Play some rounds of casual magic first before going for EDH.

>I don't know about your meta but cheap Plague Winds are pretty useful even against T2 decks like tuned Edric.

>Wrath is 4 mana
>Avacyn is 5 mana
>Plague wind is 9 mana
>"Cheap" plague wind

Are you telling me that you think that you think 4+5 is less than 9?

This is why people aren't agreeing with you. Also it's more vulnerable, since they can counter either half of your combo, making the board look like they want, instead of all or nothing like plague wind.

Start with some random casual with friends if you can. This format is casual but has an enormous card pool and often faces very obscure rulings due to so many cards that are never played in other formats.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghave-control-combo/

Does this look accurate? Or do I need more control elements added?

>tired of broken kew shit
>wants to get into MTG
No, run away.

Read my posts.

Like seriously any of them.

I play both. What did you used to play in YGO?

Korlash or OG Drana? I just got a shiny pre-release Korlash, which admittedly looks pretty pimp, but I have remarkably few basic land ramp cards, and Drana would fit better with all the rocks I've shoved in there, but I'm already running a ton of cheap spot removal.

Any spicy tech for either of them?

Magic is a lot more straight forward than yugioh. Getting mana screwed will piss you off, but actually being able to read the cards is much better. If you build a midrange deck or a ramp deck, you'll get the hang of it really quickly. The lack of complicated summoning conditions is refreshing.

>not good enough to outlast three opponents
That's where you're wrong, sport.

cubics

>Cubics
Go back scrub ok just kidding
If you are interested in playing a similar deck take a look at Ruric Thar lists. Big creatures and punishing burn effects.

Yeah that's right but sometimes I wish I could assemble more Rube Goldberg machines in EDH, that's probably why I still play both.

Oloro does nothing to stop you from getting steamrolled by combo.

That's what Ghave is for my man. I just wish there was the equivalent of lava golem and wave motion cannon, but clearly that shit would be broken.

>Wave-Motion Cannon
Check out stuff like Jinxed Choker and Idol.

>I wish I could assemble more Rube Goldberg machines in EDH
isnt that what most artifact decks are?

Except being in the colors most equipped to deal with combo.

Yeah but artifacts are too damn expensive for my tastes. I can assemble combos for cheap in YGO most of the time. But there's other options in MtG as well like complicated spellslinger wincons.

Tell me how to distinguish your posts, since you're apparently too retarded to use a name or a trip.
At least justify your retardation in some way, faggot. No one knows which posts are yours and no one cares enough to do guesswork.
Besides, a good deck has won anyway by the time you can get your christmasland Magus of the Disk.

What's the most degenerate deck that you run?

I'm looking to transition from a casual to a high power meta, and I'd like to take a peak at what other people have going on. i

As is Chromium but no one calls him too strong.