How do you world-build in your campaigns if you run original stories?

how do you world-build in your campaigns if you run original stories?

I just steal all my shit from Star Trek episodes.

i be creative and plan out my universes ahead of time, adding anything i like or am certain hasn't been done before and think i could do it justice

you hack

dude, name me one culture/society and I'm pretty fucking sure Star Trek has done it.

Her name is andrea wendel, thank me later

will she help me worldbuild my homebrew DnD campaign?

Start with something the players might be familiar with (or at least appears to be) and work from there. "World-building" in the literary sense isn't necessary if the players have the liberty to ask whatever and go wherever they want. World building even on the fly is a lot simpler than in writing, because pacing and flow is a lot less of a concern so long as you don't take any old "what are you up to, nameless peasant?" as an opportunity to ramble on for minutes at a time about the nation's debts and the terrible beasts threatening to consume the puny continent the adventure begins on.

Ancient robots who live inside of a massive robot who have become tribal individuals.

>name me one culture/society and I'm pretty fucking sure Star Trek has done it.

Bioship of Jackie Chan clones searching the galaxy for a dragon medal with their immortal overlord chinese master and a small child.

I don't plan stories. I plan locations and encounters. Stories are what my players tell about the games we play. I think the plot-driven on-a-rail-games are tabletop RPG cancer and completely miss the point.

The Next Generation TFF season 3 episode 5

>I don't plan stories
>I plan locations and encounters
>I plan

if you plan you are a bad GM. All your work should be done on the fly.

Fucking normalfags I swear.

Nah. Players can tell the difference, they might put up with bullshit fudge rolls for a while, but if they feel like there is at least a deterministic scene going on, it adds to the (this was built before I got there) vibe rather than the (this is springing into existence in response to what I do) vibe... but well thought out encounters with tactical elements can get the real men interested, real roleplayers will provide plots without the DM even trying, loonies... we;lp, and munchkins are easy, just give them loot and let them feel big.

Sorry.

If you want to play a game, design locations and put encounters in them. If you want to write a story, just fucking write a novel and stop trying to force other people to play it in real time.

She sort of looks like that girl from that other pizza image. You know the one where she is looking at it, like it is the bestest thing ever.

doing things on the fly is the only way to avoid railroading and quantum ogres senpai

Use random encounter charts and release your ego from your Dungeon Mastering user chan.

Players.

Seriously, i let players world build if i don't have anything for it, which is rare but it happens.

It's resulted in some cool/stupid/fuckedup shit; pc races being added (one a physic flying jellyfish of doom), weird villains (Steve the Lich who Just Wants to Boogie as an example) and just plan wrong things happening.

One inclusion (a giant animated stuffed godzilla) became the main plot for awhile because of how impossible it was (Steve's fault in the end)

Another had a GMPC loli vampire join the party, things got magic realmy after that (player choice, i just went with it, they voted for best idea and 'sexy vampire loli' won outright)

I love my players.

WHFB's Mourkain, and it's "Undead and the Living coexisting for mutual benefit" society.

Cannibal elves who absorb the memories of the dead by consuming their flesh and thus constitute an ever-growing immortal collective.

That's basically the Dominion Founders.

I draw maps until I come to conclusion that I'm a talentless hack that will never amount to anything, then I keep going till I make a map I like and then I lose interest in the campaign Idea.

sucking at something is the first step toward being sorta good at something

use DF's map generator and edit the result. It's so much faster and 90% of the time gets you a better result than any regular joe could produce on their own. Also, this Nobody starts off good at things. Only time that's even sort of the case is when you're all dumb kids who don't know what "good" looks like.

I build for the immediate adventure/area, extrapolate from my PCs further world details, add places I think might be cool that the PCs could go to later.

I don't design from top down, the world builds as we play essentially.

It's the same girl. She also played in Birdemic.

>Implying traps eating pizzas are not relevant

>I just steal all my shit

The answer was inside you all along.

Star Trek may not have done it but I'm pretty sure that was a Doctor Who episode.

....with elemental abilities?

This. I've done a few campaigns in the past where I just world build to no end and realize that 99% of it will never be investigated or used. I said fuck it and just made up shit on the spot as the situation demands it and wrote it down in a little book I got as I go along. Worked well enough thus far.

I also keep a list of historical events and shit that I pop out and use from time to time.

Thanks that's the only reason I came to this thread. Well that and world building but mainly that
>she looks like a female and her picture is on Veeky Forums, she's a trap meme

You glorious motherfucker

The softcover books of the original series also have good plots, although their grammar and sentence construction is terrible. You can find them at used bookstores for under a buck. (Although the books do get a boost from the mannerisms of the characters being well understood from the television series.)

I'm gonna thank you now

Don't reply to trolls, dummy.