There are people who describe the details of their action before rolling

>there are people who describe the details of their action before rolling
What drives a man to do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

mangareader.net/reversible-school-life
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Modifiers might apply to the roll depending on how the character performs the action.

Shit system detected.

>there are people who role play
yeah fuck those guys

The only correct way to do it is to describe your action based on your roll, you moron.

When the system doesn't cover what they want to do properly.

>what is abstraction?

Is there any other way to do it?

/thread

Describing your action first, arguing for 15 minutes about the modifiers the GM gives you, then bitching that it should have worked when you roll low.

Why not?
>i bash the goblin in the head with my warhammer *rolls dice*
You miss.
>*rolls dice* I uh I miss something wait why am I rolling again
Announce your actions before you do them cunts OP is a shithead who never played a session in his life

Stop playing with goldfish.

Its infinitely more smooth than the alternative:
>i want to attack the goblin
>dm: with what weapon
>with my warhammer that I am wielding in my right hand.
>dm: where do you aim on the goblin
>i am for its head
>dm: roll a dice
>dm: you miss

Describe what you're attempting to do, leaving descriptors of success or failure for after the dice roll.

Oh shit, it's like I want to roleplay or something, instead of just throwing decahedrons around willy-nilly!

Contemplate suicide, please

I say "I attempt to" before I describe my action.
E.g. "I attempt to bash the Gobbo's head in with my hammer"

Truly the patrician way to play.

Much better than the tards who go
>Grabthar leaps into the air, executes three somersaults, and brings his hammer crashing down onto the goblin's skull!
>2 damage

Which is still not worse than the DM telling grognard he did that because his damage roll was high.

>the DM telling grognard he did that because his damage roll was high.
Where was that implied?

Look, you tell the GM what you want your character to do, and he tells you what to roll. Based on the roll he narrates your success or failure. That's what roleplaying is, and it has no place for wacky descriptions from the players.

>homo
>an insult
Smug anime girl, please. I would fuck anything as long as it's cute.
It's like you don't even subscribe to Roman notions of masculinity.
It's not shameful as long as you're not the one taking the dick. It's not shameful as long as you are the one in control. And it's definitely not shameful if the passion is mutual.

>girl
I see you're unfamiliar with RSL.

this is the enlightened way to do it

>him not even full on gay
wow kid get with the program

>not having an entire table working together to come up with cool descriptions and giving the player an attachment to his cool stunts

>I attempt to [detailed description]
>Roll dice
>DM: You miss because [detailed description]

How is that not better than
>Imma attack
>roll dice
>Hey, so since I've made a super roll, I'm gonna do a backflip and be super awesome

I can't believe you guys are arguing over such a minor point though. Like, its totally cool either way in the end

>I can't believe you guys are arguing over such a minor point though
this is literally a "passive agressively shit on PbtA/its players" thread

The problem is when the following happens:

>Player: I push him and send him flying across the room
>Roll dice, shit roll
>DM: The guy is about as big as you and is ready for you, you barely move him
>Player: That's bullshit, I'm strong, I should send him flying, fuck this game

This actual exchange (and many like it) happened at my table. Some people are so preoccupied with their character looking cool and being the "main character" that they get pissy when the dice don't cooperate.

It's fun narrating the actions ("I draw my sword and slash at him vertically" or "I plant my feet and push him with all my might") and I encourage it, but when people start narrating results before the dice are rolled, that's when it becomes a problem.

In summary:
>Narrating actions your characters takes: Great idea! Go for it.
>Narrating the results of your actions on the world: Don't even think about it.

Confirmed for having played RPG's, as well as being a decent player.

Oh. That would explain a lot.

Anyway, OP is a prancing la la homo man, and not in a good way.

>Best guess for this image: Prince
>as in, the musician

seriously, though, what's the source

So don't narrate the results before the action. Job jobbed.

Yeah I agree with you. Describe what you are trying to do, not what happens afterwards. The rolls decide that.

Well yeah, but faggots still do it. Which is why this thread still exists, I assume.

mangareader.net/reversible-school-life
It's about crossdressing.

Sorry son, this is a system-agnostic thread.

Oh. That's disappointing.

holy shit my players do this all the time, I really need to switch to doing rolls first

>rolling dice

Fucking plebs.

test

sfdg

"I try to do this thing"
>Roll
"Oh no, I shall now describe how my attempt actually manifested!"

THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT, ya dingus.

>fighting strahd
>paladin
>deal 80 damage finishing him off
>describe how you kill him
>I stab him and he dies

Next time, use a thread on page 9 and put sage in the options field.

Actual /thread

Personally I like that the dice tell part of the story.

For example in my current game my character is just one of those people who is surprisingly good at everything without much effort, though he's a bookish mage. So it makes sense that he fails his balance check when falling out of a tree, except I roll really high and he nimbly lands on a branch. I tell the dm some insane magic shit I wanna try and he gives me a huge number with multiple rolls and I destroy the challenge and pull off the spell perfectly. My character is just really fucking good at everything, due to dice rolls. Except divination spells, the target number is like 11 and I'll roll a damn 10 every time. It's an ongoing joke that the spell takes *two* minutes and costs a lot of mana, but nobody in character knows my character fucks it up every time cuz I just get it on
the second go.

Also our bard is really bad at stealth and aiming, he friendly fires on a regular basis due to bad rolls. And the player doesn't mind at all, she loves that we have these weird quirks as a result of dice.

One time my skinny mage was trying to shove our dwarven boxer back and again rolled amazing, so it's like your scenario except he's weirdly strong and everyone's like "oh, damn" etc. It's great.