Make drow society make sense in a modern technology/magic setting without resorting to 'lol lolth magic'

Make drow society make sense in a modern technology/magic setting without resorting to 'lol lolth magic'

lol horniness

They first showed up in Sweden

The constant feuding is no longer useful or possible in a modern setting with huge centralized states so instead all the former feudal conflicts between rival houses are now corporate feuding between enemy corporations.

In practice its just a bunch of Queen Bee professional woman trying to sexually embarrass each other or abuse their secretaries.

The stereotypical backstabbing shit are long drawn out affairs that takes years of planning and sabotage so that when they finally end their target they're set up to gain all of the person's wealth and power without anyone ever taking vengeance for it.

Counterpoint: Sweden

It's just rampant Capitalism but with a veneer of vanity and expectation of women being in charge.

Soo... San Francisco?

Shadowrun has a depiction of modern drow, but not amazingly so. Check that out if you're really looking for inspiration.

Other than that, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a defence company headed by drow that create great and flexible ballistic protective gear out of super spider silk. Maybe they'll do something with alchemy or invent sun-contacts or something

Uh, the original premise is that it only worked because 'lol Lolth magic', it's designed to not make sense with out that....

Don't the drows(at least the FR ones) also have to do with Ed Greenwood shoehorning his fetishes into everything he makes?

that pic pretty much sums them up. Their girls would covet high profile business positions, likely be involved with gang activity or on gang payrolls. they would be everything wrong with capitalism, the 1% elites who sell out the country for personal gain, the ones pulling strings from behind the scenes.

Basically Hutt society in Star Wars.

>Nothing is off-limits - the only right is success and the only wrong is failure
>Wealth exists purely to be flaunted - be it slaves, weapons, elegant clothing, jewelry, etc. Those who do not flaunt their wealth and power clearly do not actually have it.
>The only loyalty (other than to cold hard cash) is that to family. Drow "families" aren't so much biological kin-groups as they are adopted clans headed by a matriarch, with biolgoical kinship granting a massive boost in internal standing for the individual. Betrayal of family is one of the very, very few sins in Drow society, and they are hunted down and ruthlessly exterminated as gutter-trash on the name of the family.
>No business is too good for a Drow cartel - drugs, guns, slaves, you name it, they buy and sell it. In the eyes of the Drow, these markets will always exist - so why not be the ones who capitalize on it, rather than pretend to be "too good" and allow some lesser race to cheat the Drow out of their rightful place as masters of the underworld?
>The Drow are absolutely and completely unashamed of their bodies, and dress as such. The only thing they care about is making other drow look bad in their presence - therefore, they dress and sculpt their flesh to match.
>Their cultural hearth is considered by most to be an absolute shithole, but because it is where the Drow come from it is actually one of the greatest places that ever exist. The fact that its harshness means only the Drow can survive there only further proves this point in the eyes of the Drow.
>Females dominate because of either religious traditions (though the willingness of the Drow to acknowledge their old gods is sketchy at best, and typically only done as a justification for self-advancement) or because of some sort of internal pheromonal control by females over males.

Soo....South Korea?

Literally every family is a rival mafia.

like any capitalist society. high profile business people who are associated with crime syndicates.

Honestly I like this. Particularly the pheremonal control, and not just because it's my fetish, but because it makes sense.

Militant feminism taken to its logical extreme.

you mean that country being run by shamans?
>yfw real life is actually shadowrun and have no face

>you will never be one of the secretaries

My GM's distant scifi setting has a matriarchy that isn't evil but was fascinatingly explained and very interesting. I don't think I'll be able to do it justice but I'll relay a bit for inspiration.

Like I said, there are some problems fitting them into this prompt: They aren't drow, they are genetically engineered humans with perfect beauty and uncanny social/emotional intelligence, so kinda elflike but still different. They weren't any more evil than any other powerful people tend to be, And the distant scifi setting meant society was in a state not significantly different from what would likely make sense in a "modern" setting (virtually post scarcity).

Basically, their society was built around the principle that the average citizen wanted craved social fulfillment, not success, due to over saturation of resources and the lack of meaningful community relationships that emerge from any modern or post-modern setting. "Matriarchs" were basically community managers who attracted citizens to their house through displays of art, beauty, and decorum, and kept them there through careful social engineering, pseudomaternal nurturing, and maintaining a glamorous cult of personality. "Matriarchs" cant give personal attention to all of their citizens, however, and delegate much of this to other trusted females of their race.

Males don't hold political or economic power because of this cultural paradigm, which views men as the masters of pragmatism and women as the masters of culture, and their society as more in greater need of culture than pragmatism. On the other hand, Ladies are only basically allowed their income and power through "gifts"(taxes) and only men can actually hold positions which produce wealth directly, or something.

dunno, thought it was cool

Internet Nazi warlocks are dispatching irl teams of riggers, deckers, and sammys for the world's greatest game of CTF versus a Disney channel celebrity. It's already spanned two continents so far.

No, because a lot of the bondage stuff was Gary Gygax.
Greenwood DOES have a lot of fetishes but those particular ones and ones he did not invent.

sounds, interesting

nothing about drow society makes any goddamned sense in any fucking context

You're both morons. The femdom bondage was Salvatore.

Constant humanitarian aid from countries that want to stay on their good side because of their geographically tactical position and to keep them from allowing the armies of the evil empire from passing through.

No, it was more a general amalgamation of a number of authors and influences, of which Gygax and Salvatore both played a part.

Salvatore based his drow houses on the Italian Mafia.

except my dick

And that's perfect for a fantasy setting enemy civilization, either in modern or medieval period.
Veeky Forums too autistic to realize nobody like overly detailed and rigid lore that they can't change on the fly to fit the plot of the session or of the campaign.

Your dick is part of drow society?

We matriarchy nao

Oh boy I fucking wish

I want to fuck Snadhya'rune

What? Drowtales are stillvrunning? Are we past civilwar or what?

Impossible, drow society only makes sense in a fantasy context because of LoLth magic.

Saudis but with the Male and Female roles reversed.

So basically everyone involved with D&D was super into bondage.

Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man would be a good example how a drow would work in a contemporary fantasy setting.

You can't make sense of a society that literally requires a goddess babysitting it 24/7 to even function normally.

Everyone else becomes even more disfunctional because reasons and now the drow are the competent ones?