Sup Veeky Forums...

Sup Veeky Forums? I've been considering running an Assassin's Creed game when it's my turn to run a campaign for the group. What do you think would be a good starting location/time period? And what's the best way to handle multiple Assassin's working in a group?

Golden age of Piracy.
Be a bunch of pirates who shank few assassins and steal their shit.
Wreck assassins and templars shit while having a blast.

Set it somewhere around the public destruction of the Templars. Assassins hunt down and attempt to purge the remaining Templars in Europe.

What are your three essential elements of Assassin's Creed?

What system would you guys use for an AC game?

inb4 Gurps

Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent.
Hide in plain sight.
Never compromise the Brotherhood.

Rogue best AC game.

Blades in the Dark.

I was once thinking about writing an AC system with PCs being modern assassins using the Animus for training/information gathering. The sessions would alternate between modern "real life" and historical simulations in Animus. Players would create separate sheets for they real character and the ancestor whos memories they are "playing through" By playing according to their ancestor's stated personality they would increase their synchronisation and get advancement points for their modern out of simulation characters through due to the Bleeding Effect. However, their real life characters would also start gaining parts of their ancestor's personality and eventually loosing track of their own personality. This could work both by having to roll willpower from time to time or acting as your ancestor would have and by the player itself slowly loosing track of his "real" character personality by having to roleplay both him and ancestor as part of the same campaign

>What do you think would be a good starting location/time period?
The Assassin's Creed series prides itself on using time periods and locations that aren't really given a lot of attention in other video games, so things like Civil War America or WW2 Europe are somewhat out of the question if we follow their logic. I'd also say that they pick periods of political strife where small changes like a death here or there can utterly change the course of history (the Crusades, Renaissance Europe, the two great Liberal Revolutions... not so much Victorian England but let's be cynical and blame it on the deteriorating quality of the series). They also pick periods and places with a somewhat iconic look to them. Whether it's the Holy Land during the Crusades, Renaissance Florence or Industrial London, you can tell these places apart at a glance.

Combining these elements I'd say that a good time period would be Belle Époque (1871-1914) Paris, assuming your players are at least somewhat familliar with the period. I think this would be a good period and location for multiple reasons:
>There is political turmoil, but it's not overt. The Third Republic (especially early on in this period) is not popular and by many seen as a transitional council. The royalist and bonapartist pretenders are still alive and kicking. A good chance to support them or "get rid" of them and blame it on something stupid like a Zulu spear.
>The period has an iconic 'look' (though that's less important in a TTRPG I presume). This is when the city becomes what it's famous for today: the Hausmann reforms have just finished and replaced the narrow medieval streets with wide, open boulevards (fun fact: this makes suppressing revolutions easier!). In this period we also see the construction of the Eiffel Tower, Sacré Coeur and the rise of the Moulin Rouge. Especially the latter is interesting for roleplay: drunk men surrounded by beautiful women tend to be talkative.
cont.

>International tension. Keep in mind that a lot of Frenchmen were kind of butthurt about Alsace (though there are also a lot of pacifists willing to let things go). Once again, a few deaths here or there change everything. Do you want to steer the Republic in a jingoistic direction or keep things as they are. And what will you do abroad? Does Bismarck get a "food poisoning" before meeting up with the Austrians? Or perhaps Wilhelm II dies instead, never becomes Kaiser and a more diplomatically capable candidate takes over. Maybe the anti-French diplomatic network never collapses.
>The existence of undergound societies. Freemasons, noble groups, communards and proto-fascists all have their secret meetings and all have their own designs. Great opportunity to join them or overthrow them.

Though a lot of the above could also be applied to Imperial Germany, on the flipside. In fact, I imagine such a game -regardless of your allegiance- would involve you skipping the border a lot. You'd better have characters that can speak both languages accentlessly. Though that's not beyond the realm of the plausible with French being the diplomatic lingua franca and German in this period rising rapidly as a scientific language. In this period both the (educated) French and the Germans eagerly learned eachothers languages.

This sounds like a fascinating idea. What's some good reading material about the Belle Époque?

Your setting?
AUSTRALIA, 1932
A storm is brewing in the wastes as the dreaded Emus mass their forces. Attempts to hamstring the Emu forces through deniable ops and bounty hunters have proven ineffective. If there is to be any hope of standing against the inevitable assault, the Australians will need to supplement their forces with intelligence regarding the Emu's plan of attack.

Your goals?
The right assassin in the right place in the right bird costume could be the silver bullet the Aussies desperately need. Due to their advanced command structure, it is impossible for outsiders to know who the Emu leaders are. Only a specially chosen team of spies could have a chance of preventing catastrophe, and they are your PCs.

Will your assassins manage to uncover the secrets behind the Avian War Machine? Or will their actions be seen by history as the spark before the fire?

Time will tell.

I don't know man, it takes some real skill and balls of iron to recreate the horror of Emu Wars in tabletop.

What an amazingly stellar shitpost.

Well I guess Emus succesfully derailed the thread into oblivion
Goddamn Emus!

They're inside.

Austria-Hungary shortly before ww1

>cool architecture
>a bunch of nationalities to choose from
>interesting political system
>a foreboding athmosphere where you can feel the coming war
>a lot of nice cities to explore

>Mention Austria-Hungary in an assassination-centric game
>Fail to mention the Black Hand
For the rest I agree with you though.

>Australia
>But not around Ned Kelly's time

You fucked up son.

it could work, but only in reverse. Your goal is to prevent assassination of royal family and other important people in order to prevent war, only at the end finding that arch duke Ferdinand was killed by non-Templar

you mean, do from Black flag its own series

The French Foreign Legion is pretty mythological.

Later half of 1200 in Japan. Assassin's thwart Kublai Khan Mongols invasion by creating a typhoon in the Korea Strait with a piece of Eden. Twice.
All assassin's die going down with the Mongol ships or betrayed for the piece of Eden leaving only their children or their students. As the descendants of the assassin's move on forgetting their heritage the warring states period begin over artifacts or power.

>Ninja working against and with Assassin's at different points
>A particularly good Samurai might be able to counter a hidden blade attack