Which of the Outer Planes would you most want to spend your afterlife on? (Or maybe even visit during your lifetime.)

Which of the Outer Planes would you most want to spend your afterlife on? (Or maybe even visit during your lifetime.)

Which do you think you deserve?

I think I deserve a job as a jet pilot if I can read any name on your pic

>Which of the Outer Planes would you most want to spend your afterlife on?
Ysgard
>Spoiler
Gray Waste

Bytopia
Pandemonium

But my vision is to bad to be a jet pilot.

The Far Realm.

Abyss sounds like the most interesting one, but I want to have a full protection from all the fucked up shit that's going on there. Otherwise, Arcadia.

Elysium. You can lounge on a beach all day erry day.

>actual destination: probably Limbo or Tartarus.

Care to give a brief description of each, for those of us who don't know what these are?

I'd want to go to Ysgard, it would be an eternity of glorious and honorable combat and constant struggle that is granted inherent, positive meaning, such that what could be seen as a Sisyphean condemnation becomes the joy of striving towards accomplishment granted to you forever with no laurels to question its worth on. The exhilaration we all feel in tabletop combat, in the flesh, every day without ever growing tired of it, with a mead hall of brothers-in-arms to await you after your daily heroic sacrifice worthy of the ages. Of course, in actuality I'd probably end up in the Madhouse in Pandemonium for spending my days lying around in utter anguish at the prospect that even our most glorious triumphs are but ash.

lmgtfy.com

Blessed Fields of Elysium (Good):
A place where everything is nice.

Happy Hunting Grounds of the Beast Lands:
Druids and hunters fap to this.

Olympian Glades of Arborea (Chaotic Good):
Fey Courts at the bottom of Mt. Olympus.

Heroic Domains of Ysgard:
Ostensibly the Norse afterlife.

Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo (Chaotic):
The 4 elemental planes, but just 1 plane. Peopled by insane frogs.

Windswept Depths of Pandemonium:
Dark, breezy caves. The echoes drive men mad.

Infinite Layers of the Abyss (Chaotic Evil):
Demons build armies, then lose them after picking fights in route to hell.

Tartarus of Carceri:
Space jail and home of the rust monsters.

The Grey Waste of Hades (Evil):
Selfish ghosts turn into bugs because of angst.

Bleak Eternity of Gehenna:
Species of furry Charons puppeteer fights between their allies, at their own expense.

The Nine Hells of Baator (Lawful Evil):
Ostensinbly Dante's Inferno.

Infernal Battlefield of Acheron:
Budget Ysgard for Orcs and Goblins.

Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus (Lawful):
80s computers sort everything, question not their mysterious ways! (their answer takes forever)

Perfect Order of Arcadia:
Yet another place where everything is nice.

Seven Heavens of Mt. Celestia (Lawful Good):
Ostensibly Dante's Purgatorio, crammed full of Paladins.

Twin Paradise of Bytopia
Liberals on the ceiling, conservatives on the floor (or vice versa).

I'd love to see arcadia. Seems chill.

I'm going straight to the Abyss. They know what I did.

Or Elysium. Either. Both. Ain't gettin in either tho.

Elysium or Mechanus

In one the world it is a paradise and the world itself bend slightly to aid you when it can.

In the latter everything is in it's place, and everything move when and how it's suppose to. (Basically the thing I hate about other people the most... Doesn't exist)

I probably get Gehenna or pandemonium

Definitely the beastlands. As a respository of every non-sapient animal to have ever died, it'd be an absolute heaven for zoologists, biologists, or just anyone who wants to see some weird-ass beasts

Anything between Mount Celestia and Ysgard really.
Does anyone go to the Outlands in their afterlives?

Better question, which planes could be combined to clean up this mess?

Ofcourse they do. And if you are really really careful those hard core planescape fans can even go to Sigil when they die.

>what do I want
Bytopia
>what do I deserve
Depends. If it relies solely on one's actions toward their fellow man, probably somewhere like Arborea. If inner thoughts and desires count, probably Limbo.

Is there any "your soul simply ceases to exist" option?
Probably Baator, I guess? I don't really contribute anything to the lives of those around me, I mostly just sit around and complain and mock people.

Elysium sounds nice.

The Beastlands.

A lot of the "good" ones sound pretty generic or could potentially be different locations on the same plane:
>Blessed Fields of Elysium: A place where everything is nice.
>Perfect Order of Arcadia: Yet another place where everything is nice.
>Seven Heavens of Mt. Celestia
>Olympian Glades of Arborea: Fey Courts at the bottom of Mt. Olympus.
>Heroic Domains of Ysgard: Ostensibly Norse afterlife.
Isn't norse afterlife even supposed to have different halls/places for different gods and their followers?

Likewise, a lot of the battlefield and jail planes could be combined into different parts of one gigantic diverse battlefield and across the heavens with spots of organised fortress prisons:
>Infinite Layers of the Abyss
>Tartarus of Carceri
>The Grey Waste of Hades
>Bleak Eternity of Gehenna
>The Nine Hells of Baator
>Infernal Battlefield of Acheron

And some of the chaotic/wild planes could be combined and turned into something of "geographic" features between the other planes:
>Happy Hunting Grounds of the Beast Lands
>Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo
>Windswept Depths of Pandemonium
>the Outlands

>A lot of the "good" ones sound pretty generic
The upper planes aren't very interesting, and consequentially received very little attention from writers.
>Isn't norse afterlife even supposed to have
It's also supposed to have a magic goat you can milk health potion booze from.
There's a reason I said "ostensibly."

>a lot of the battlefield and jail planes could be combined
The battlefields are redundant, but the jails are nice and unique.

>And some of the chaotic/wild planes could be combined
Wild planes yes, but Limbo would have a tone conflict with the other chaotic planes.

Really though? Planescape was balls.
Planescape: Torment was a good computer game.
Tpby DiTerlizzi is a good artist.
Planescape is balls.

Planes in general are balls.
You should be able to walk to fantastic locations from mortal locations.
It's how it works in myths and, more importantly, it's more interesting.
If you absolutely require the afterlife to be in another world, and can't be assed to write your own, repurpose Ravenloft.

Oh I didn't mean combine the jails into one but rather have them be interdimensional fortress prisons among the multi-planar battlefield jealously hoarding their treasure or imprisoned souls and rebuffing attack from multiple forces.

What about limbo being the edges or deepest part of the chaotic realms?
Honestly I think you could even combine limbo with some of the other in-between places like the astral plane.

To be fair there are myths and legends of fairy portals and such that lead to other realms along with all sorts of portals and travel to other worlds and realms in the sort of pulpy fantasy that inspired d&d.

>Honestly I think you could even combine limbo with some of the other in-between places like the astral plane.
If you're reworking the transitive planes, you should probably take a few cues from the pre-Great Wheel cosmology.

The inner planes are all layers of the Ethereal, with special naming because you happen to be using the name scheme made by the people who live there.
The elemental planes all have planets, satellites, and star but is mostly vacuum. The quasi- and para- elemental planes are pocket dimensions where bodies overlap.
The "Prime Material Plane" is actually just a pocket where 4 planets are of similar size.

The Ethereal has a finite size, and you can reach the Astral by crossing the edge. Because the Ethereal is *inside* the Astral, just like any Outer Plane.
And by inside I mean: is literally fully and physically contained within it, to scale.

>The inner planes are all layers of the Ethereal
Tbh I already kinda thought that should be the case, or something like "regions" if not layers, but Idk if it strictly needs planets and satellites and stars and space like the material plane.
When you're talking about the planes I think you can afford to get more vague and metaphysical than normal spatial constraints. Yes the ethereal is "inside" the astral plane but crossing the "edge" is less like going from one country over the border to another and more about knowing where and how to "move" in the planes.

But yeah I thought the ethereal within the astral and outside the astral the far realm which is basically a catch-all for stuff outside this reality.

>pre-Great Wheel
RC is not pre-GW you dingus.

True, but Rules Cyclopedia is basically BECM.
Manual of the Planes was '87, Master Rules were '85.

>I think I deserve a job as a jet pilot if I can read any name on your pic

If you're a Chinese jet pilot then maybe - just maybe - your boys can stop 'em from getting the book.

>and outside the astral the far realm which is basically a catch-all for stuff outside this reality.
It's ambiguous as to whether or not the Ethereal and Astral overlap.
You may or may not be able to enter to Astral without traveling past the Ethereal's edge.

But the Outer Planes are "stuff outside this reality."
They're strange worlds with different (and not necessarily internally consistent) laws of physics, were even metaphysical rules like morality have alien and monstrous forms.

The AD&D PHB, however, is 1978. It doesn't have the Outlands or Sigil, though.

Well I mean "this reality" as in the structure of reality that is the great wheel and everything in it.
The outer planes are outside our physical reality but they also make up some of the fundamental forces of this world just like the elemental planes.

The far realms is "other stuff" outside everything that falls under the familiar structure of being.

Don't have it on hand, I'll reference it later, but it doesn't go any further than the names of Planes IIRC.

And names aren't even entirely consistent,
The Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus is Nirvana when the name is shortened, instead of Mechanus. Etc.

If outer planes are familiar enough that you need something that's alien relative to them, you're doing Gods wrong.

It's exactly two pages. Appendix IV.

Which afterlife lets me chill in a nice cabin on the edge of a river in a cozy patch of woods with my garden and my chair on a nice scenic spot while I spend my days hunting, fishing, gardening and entertaining friends who visit from their respective afterlives in the evening?

>Spoiler
Reliving my life over and over again, being aware of the consequences of all my decisions but not being able to change anything.

So it's wrong to have angels and demons and gods separate from Lovecraftian nightmares from beyond known reality?

I mean you're welcome to your opinion and not including far-realms shenanigans in your game but it exists and is literally "stuff beyond reality".

One about a One World cosmology, where you have locations in the world that are the analogue of the planes that you can travel to with mundane but likely very difficult means?

What planes would it make sense to represent in the world?

>Which afterlife lets me chill in a nice cabin [yadda yadda yadda]
Bytopia, which seems pretty popular in this thread. Also the Beast Lands, but that involves slightly less chilling.

>being aware of the consequences of all my decisions but not being able to change anything.
Baator might have an ironic hell thing? Otherwise, I don't think any do that.

>What planes would it make sense to represent in the world?
One's appropriate to whichever not!Civilization you copy-pasted into the vicinity of the entrance to each plane.

>One's appropriate to whichever not!Civilization you copy-pasted into the vicinity of the entrance to each plane.

Not even that. I mean that there are physical locations in the world that each represent the planes figuratively and mechanically. A lost form of Faerie, The Nine Hells is literally really far underground,, there is a wasteland of grey. If there are "planar locations" like the realms of gods or demons, they would be more like pocket dimensions that have a place in the world and are reached through a specific way.

>Not even that.
No, I get what you mean.
>that have a place in the world and are reached through a specific way.
Be buried alive with a corpse during a funeral to reach hell, yadda yadda.

I was just saying that not!Olympus should be near not!Greece.

Which one has my waifu in it?

Be a bit more specific?
post pics

Probably Ysgard if I had to guess.