sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/

Are the Mordenkainen's prefixed spells and the like pre-Weave?

>he cares about the lore at all
>not just using your own setting lore
what are you, a fucking pleb

Probably not? Since Mr.M appear in CoS.

What order would a mindflayer mystic be?

I know im late to the discussion on this one but.. what were you guys thoughts on the stone sorcerer. DM said i can play one in the next campaign an im stoked. But do you guys think they are a little bit over powered? Also do you guys allow unearthed arcanas at your table? I allow them at my table but only if i approve of them

some people like playing in established settings, there's a reason planescape and eberron have fanbases

Stone Sorcerer's fun. Your main shtick is Twinned Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade, Twined haste on you and someone else and being able to burst like a motherfucker.

Elemental Weapon with Twined and Quickened Booming Blade is awesome.

None of them? If you feel the need to stat it as a PC, Awakened, but since they are typically a hivemind and thus NPC race, just give them whatever disciplines you want.

They're a straight upgrade over Draconic but they aren't overpowered - they're still subpar as gishes due to squishiness, and multiclassing Paladin makes their AC and weapon/shield proficiencies redundant.

But as the other user mentioned, it's fun being able martial it up with the damage cantrips and self buffs.

Yeah thats what i was basically thinking. Went human varient and started with the tough feet as well for a pseudo d12 hitdie on level. Looks fun as shit and tough as nails

Yeah they can be a bit squish if you allow that to happen. But id definitely take con over cha (initially) and take the tough feat to give you similar health to a barbarian

Good choice, what's your stat array? I wasn't happy with mine but I lived as a Triton with 16, 12, 14, 8, 12, 14.

Do you make your players roll for HP when they level up?

Pretty happy with mine honestly. After racials and +1 con from tough im at:
>Str: 16
>Dex: 10
>Con: 16
>Int: 7
>Wis: 12
>Cha: 16
Rolled: 16 15 14 12 10 7

I allow all UA at my table except of the egregious combos like Nuclear Druid, or 1 level dips into Revised Ranger (3+ and you're good). I'm pretty flexible with making things work and willing to homebrew as needed. Likewise, the people I play with aren't generally abusive with leniency.

>tough
>+1 to con
read the feat

Uh, Tough doesn't give a +1 Con. Sorry man.

Nice rolls though.

Haha cheers blokes, thought it seemed to good to be true. Good job i havent played it yet. Ill probably swap around the str and con or charima and con in that case

So I just checked Stoner Sorcerer now (because of the thread) and they do seem pretty awesome. So you could actually ignore Dex and go for the big weapons. Reach would probably help a lot with your survivability, as well.

As a stone sorcerer, what would you prioritize between Str, Con and Cha?

Str, Con then Cha. Honestly Mirror Image, Haste, Elemental Weapon and other buff spells are best. Find a lot without concentration though.

BB/GFB are your main attacks and the rest of your spells can be utility.

I would go con, str then cha

Yes. Early on I give them best of 2 rolls, but after level 5 they get one roll.

Personally i leave it up to them, they can take the average if they want

If you want to gish, STR > CON > CHA

You need CHA for your ranged attack rolls and save DCs, but if you're gishing then you're not using it at all, and could in theory dump it.

If you use a Reach weapon you need Spell Sniper in order to be able to connect GFB and BB with it. Shields are nice, though, and PAM+Warcaster works on Quarterstaves (which can be your Arcane Focus) without the need for Spell Sniper.

Reach weapons are only worth it if you take the Spell Sniper Feat, because your damage comes from GBF, BB and smites anyway and the cantrips have a reach of 5 feat.
I would say go for a shield, because your weapons damage die isn't that important.

How would you:
-Buff STR
-Buff INT
-Nerf DEX

Not necessarily all at once.

I would overhaul the ability scores. Are you retarded?

Funny thing to have utility on a sorcerer. But that sounds good.

Ah, I see. Why would you pick PAM, though? If you're gonna use BB and GFB, you can't make the bonus action attack... Opportunity GFB when they enter your reach sounds neat, but not really worth the feat. I'd rather get mobile, twin BB at the enemies, back up and taunt them.

STR also apply to initative.

Do you want to train your player to cheat at D&D? If not then no.

Only thing that bugs me as a Sorcerer is that you want concentration spells to buff yourself (and maybe someone else if twinned), but then you can't cast you smites. Smites aren't that important, but with the number of spellslots you got they should be well worth it.

>nerf DEX

Make it so that AC bonus can be calculated off con or DEX at player discretion (This will get rid of AC/HP tank differences and just make tanks go for con, a little less build variety I guess but it doesn't really matter)

>Buff STR

Make intimidation an STR check instead of charisma, make every 4 points above 10 in STR give 1 AC penetration (i.e your hit is calculated based on your opponents AC-1*multiples of 4 above 10)

>Buff INT

Every 4 points in INT above 10 give an extra 25% increase in spell damage or duration, if both damage and duration are applicable (i.e DoT) the 25% bonus goes to the damage per round rather than any other potential effects of the spell rounded down if INT is your spellcasting stat (likewise this should apply to CHA for sorcerers just to make it so that sorcerers aren't getting fucked by wizards even more)

>Buff strength
More heavy-armor classes. Make heavy armor generally more beneficial than just 1-3 AC points over light-armor or no-armor characters.

>Buff INT
Bonus skill proficiencies

>Nerf Dex
Reduce the number of classes who can get insane armor bonuses while unarmored or in light armor.

What's the difference between 1 AC penetration, and +1 to hit?

I don't like any of these. STR being used for intimidate is RAI though, as the PHB says the DM can swap the abilities at their discretion.

Absolutely nothing, I am a retard please forgive me. I still stand by my idea even if it was said in a stupid way

That doesn't make even a little sense.

Strength is pretty important if you actually use the encumbrance rules and bags of holding are rare (as they should be). A character with 10 Strength can only carry 50 pounds before they take a movement penalty, and 50 pounds is not much.

>as the PHB says the DM can swap the abilities at their discretion

You can basically overhaul the entire game on house rules if you really want, I'm talking the rules which are considered the default (otherwise why have the player hand book in the first place, you could just make your own game)

Did you actually read the PHB?

>Make heavy armor generally more beneficial than just 1-3 AC points over light-armor or no-armor characters.
How about giving heavy armour the heavy armour master feat's damage reduction, no feat needed?
>Reduce the number of classes who can get insane armor bonuses while unarmored or in light armor.
Isn't that basically just... monk and barbarian, maybe rogue?

>Isn't that basically just... monk and barbarian, maybe rogue?

Its pretty much anyone with 20DEX and light armor.

5+12 (studded leather) = 17
17 AC HOLY SHIT

The PHB says house rules are allowed and encouraged. What's your point?

Hey guys,
What's the verdict on mystic?
I have a guy that wants to roll one in our next campaign.
I've only skimmed it so far and it doesn't seem ultra OP.

Any reason I should not allow it?

17 AC is hardly insane.

If you plan on getting to level 9 or beyond, don't allow it.

The Mystic isn't very well made, and from about level 8 to 11 will outshine everyone else. Before that they'll be about on par with HalfCasters. After that they'll outshine Martials though Casters will still have lots more to do.

Also alot of casters.

It's not a house rule. It literally says that any skill can be used with a different ability based on Context, as determined by the DM. That's a RULE. No house needed.

0+18 (plate mail) = 18
18 AC HOLY SHIT WHY AM I A STR BASED CHARACTER WHEN THE SKILLS AND SAVING THROWS FROM STR ARE OBJECTIVELY WORSE THAN DEX AND I ONLY HAVE A 5% LESS CHANCE TO BE HIT

I need to read over it again but from what i remember i thought it was a bit OP. Has an answer to almost everything given the 30+ pages of options. Just steps on alot toes

Immortal Mystic would go at least 20AC naked with 20 DEX.
UA, I know, I know.

>5% less chance to be hit
With 20 Dex, which requires at least two +2 ASIs (racials included) unless you roll for stats and get 18 Dex, in which case it's only one.
Plus fighters and I think paladins can get Defensive fighting style for another +1, and then there's shields which not every class can use, for another +2. So really, it's probably more like 20%.

It's, practically, 3/4s of a Wizard.
They have a lot of options, but they aren't stronger than a Wizard's and they can't get more on their spellbook.
Also, almost no feat helps them, and familiars can't do touchstuff for them.

As said, but this time with evidence.

Here's to hoping UA Artificer (Alchemist) gets buffed, or at least given more options and/or flavour.

> what is a mule
> what is a wagon
> what is a mastiff

Pretty sure 9/10 DMs never use any load animals so cut him some slack there.

Question

I'm looking at the character sheet for my first ever character (5e) and she's a half-orc battle master protection fighter. For some reason her battleaxe deals 1d8+6 damage instead of just 1d8. Where did that +6 come from?

I made the character sheet under the DM's guidance, so I'm not sure if I was being retarded then or retarded now.

>what are stairs
>what is a dungeon

Is Orc worth playing? Or is Half-orc just better in every way?

1d8+6 to hit probably.
Damage will be 1d8+Strength modifier.

I personally like the alchemist aftificer, although I wish the dex save on the acid vial was con instead. That way you're not fucked if you come to fighting high dex enemies by having your two damage dealers work off dex saves. Also the automaton needs some kind of scaling hp or make it another subclass of artificer

dex-based fighters are better than str-based fighters, as much as I hate to admit it.

Dex has a bonus to initiative, is a common saving throw, and has many more skills than Str - that come up way more often than just athletics.

Put a fighter in light armor, a shield, and a rapier and they have 19AC compared to a fighter in heavy armor, shield, and longsword with 20AC.

>With 20 Dex, which requires at least two +2 ASIs (racials included)

Both Str and Dex characters will typically spend their ASIs on their main stat so the opportunity cost there is moot.

Younprobably added your proficiency bonus as well as your str bonus instead of just str

It should be Strength mod, but I don't think you should have 22 Strength. If you have 18 Str then +6 to hit makes sense (+4 Str, +2 Proficiency Bonus), though, and that would mean damage should be 1d8+4.

> implying mule and dog can't walk up or down stair
> implying they can't fit into dungeon

STR has PAM and GWM. DEX has no games.

Dex based fighters cost less gold to get good AC, but str based get that greatsword and GWM afor superior damage

It's worth playing if you really want your DM or party constantly thinking about killing your character.

Pack animals and vehicles only help so much. Just run through the standard stuff a rogue would have:

Studded leather: 13
Rapier: 2
Dagger: 1
Shortbow: 2
Arrows: 1
Burglar's Pack:
Backpack: 5
Ball bearings: 2
Crowbar: 5
Hammer: 3
10 pitons: 2.5
Hooded lantern: 2
2 flasks of oil: 2
5 days' rations: 10
Tinderbox: 1
Waterskin: 5
50' hemp rope: 10
Thieves' tools: 1

Already you're up to 67.5, so you'd need a strength of at least 14 or you'll take a 10' penalty to your movement speed. Even just your armor, weapons, backpack and waterskin gets you to 29—not a lot of wiggle room if you dumped Strength with an 8 and have just 40 pounds to work with.

I play with a group of beginners so I give them what's in the book. Rolled stats, rolled health, and half hit dice back on long rest.

I am weening them off of critical fail/success skill checks though.

Um, what?

Is this some kind of paladin/sorcerer multiclass? If it is, you should just be spending spell slots to use Divine Smite; it doesn't break concentration and it's generally better than all those spells with "smite" in the name anyway.

If you're just a sorcerer and you're using the word "smite" to mean offensive spells, you can cast those while concentrating, you know. The only spell that breaks your concentration is another concentration spell.

Orc is better for flavour I guess?

She has +5 strength so I have no idea where 6 came from. But yep, I've found the relevant part of the PHB now. It's so annoying how they split everything between at least two sections in there. The base damage for a weapon is under 'equipment' but what you add to that is 130 pages earlier in the character creation section. Thanks guys

>I am weening them off of critical fail/success skill checks though.
Not in the book

>I play with a group of beginners so I give them what's in the book. Rolled stats, rolled health, and half hit dice back on long rest.
Standard array and taking the average on hit points are also in the book.

I think its the stone sorcerer m8. It has access to a bunch of the smite spells

Yes but they already have the "nat 1 means real shit is about to happen" And I don't not enjoy them, so I'm keeping the crit fails to no really doing anything, but if they crit succeed, I have to explain that's not how it works.

Yes but this game is for fun and having the stats for fun is good.

Question. If I'm going to be using a halberd, do I get polearm master or great weapon master at lvl 1 as a variant human?

Do I forego an ASI at level 4 to bump my str to 20? (yeah, yeah, rolling for stats, roast my balls over a fire)

Finally, do I take great weapon fighting or tunnel fighter as a fighting style? DM said he would allow tunnel fighter.

oh they got infected by the meme? fug.

Thanks guys, it's going to SKT that caps at lvl 10 so I will allow it for this campaign.

Is it just me or are Ropers and Piercers not that intimidating? Like a 1 roper, 5 piercer fight is supposed to be hard, bordering on deadly, for a 4 man, level 6 party, but honestly the damage output is just laughable.

Polearm master takes priority cause it means you can bonus action pummel more. And forgo the ASI and get sentinel or something I guess.

Damage output isn't everything

>he judges difficulty by damage
>thinks players will only respond negatively to their HP lowering
Uh...

Ropers have a crazy high AC for a monster, but indeed the action economy of pumping out damage is sub par, only one bite means it wont be downing anyone.

But remember the difficulty scaling is meant for you to be doing encounters like this 5 times over. Give the creature three turns and he could down someone.

I never listen to the difficult cause I usually average 2-3 encounters a day, with really powerful monsters. I know what my players can deal with.

You think Sentinel would be better than GWM? GWM in tandem with Polearm Master is really powerful since you can still take the -5 to attack on your bonus action attack to get 1d4+10+str damage.

And would that outshine bumping my str to 20?

Sentinel lets you do attacks not on your turn. If an ally is hit, you get to hit the enemy who hit him. At level 5 you can attack with your halberd three times and then bonus action pummel.

Plus it actually helps your team cause keeping enemies still who want to run but are faster than you are very important.

If you are minmaxing damage output, variant human PAM/GWM and get the other at 4

How important is it to bump a paladin's Charisma to 20?

>Ropers and Piercers not that intimidating
You know nothing.

Thanks. Sentinel will have to wait until Str is bumped to that sweet sweet 20.

Not as important as strength, more important than everything else

Holy hell, I just read that yesterday.

honestly, the end had me on the verge of crying.

I'm getting ready to start a campaign, nominally set in the Forgotten Realms, and one of my players is asking what the major events of the last 40-50 years have been. Is there a specific year 5e Forgotten Realms starts in so I can go back and look at the recent timeline?

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is probably the best bet.

What reasons would player characters have to come together?

So far I've been in campaigns where we're either escaped slaves, or generic "You're all in a tavern"

I'd like to avoid either of these if I can. Ideas?

Some questions about tomb of horrors but no spoilers please:
>What level should a 4 man party be at?
>Any classes that would be totally useless (like monk maybe)?
>Any classes that are a must have (probably wizard I guess)

That's something you do in Session 0. Let's everyone think together as a group. Maybe The fighter is a Wizard relative? Maybe they share the same enemy?