Are there any good speech quirks that don't get super annoying after three minutes-umuu?

Are there any good speech quirks that don't get super annoying after three minutes-umuu?

Or should players just avoid speech quirks in general-umuu?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L-LyFMCIpok
youtube.com/watch?v=ULslwGCpOdc
youtu.be/TT2GRpwwS8M
youtu.be/L5rsWqL2Kl4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

shut up, nano desu

>asks about speech quirks
>sent to containment board for pseudointellectual snobs

Well, there's accents, for one. If they fit the character and you don't do them terribly, they're fine. Stutters are generally okay too, if they're not overdone. Some characters have different speech patterns, such as saying "like" a lot, or never saying someone's name without a "sir" or "miss/missus" before it, or just using overcomplicated words as a force of habit.

Ending every sentence with a phrase is a good example of one that usually doesn't work, but I played a character that ended everything with "yes" and the group loved it. The moral of the story is that any character quirk, speech-associated or not, is fine if you write/play it properly, I guess.

Scottish accent.

Yeah, that one gets annoying after two

user has it. Be it fondness for a particular word (like like), an accent, over-contraction, if done well and not obtrusively it's fine - if occasionally a bit annoying to understand

YOU SCOT HATIN'

You can do anything if you are a cute girl.

Anything.

Even have a scouse or accent?

I once played a gangster who talked like a hybrid of a prohibition era mobster and rodney dangerfield. It never, ever, ever got old.

Anything.
You could murder people and never get caught.
When's the last time you heard of a cute girl being a murderer?

Balance it with something else and don't take it too far - if you can't immerse yourself into it when you talk in-character, it's probably also too pervasive for a real person to fall into.
My most recent Mage character tends to lift her eyebrows impatiently when listening to people, lean her chin on her hand a lot and talk all the way back in her throat, going up half an octave and snapping out her words when she gets worked up, very occasionally slipping in some slight Slovenian sentence structure.
A "speech quirk" doesn't mean "adding something to every sentence". It means "a quirk or peculiarity in how your character speaks".
Equating that with tacking something pointless on top of everything you say for little particular reason is the height of ET-tier autism.

youtube.com/watch?v=L-LyFMCIpok

Quirks that are largely unobtrusive and flow well in regular sentence structures are generally not too annoying.

I played a character who tended to add ', yes.' to the end of every sentence longer than 2-3 words, which is one of the more cliche examples, but nobody seemed to mind. It was explained in-character as a product of the setting and the area in which his backstory took place. I eventually got so used to doing it that it slipped into my vocabulary outside of the roleplay and I had to actively restrain myself from saying it in everyday life until the campaign was over.

youtube.com/watch?v=ULslwGCpOdc

I played a changeling winter witch that talked exactly like Bjork. I spent an hour before every session watching interviews of her to match her Icelandic-Cockney accent.

I am a grateful grapefruit.

Stealing this.

One piece villains having unique laughs was pretty cool(they don't keep them in the dubs though).

That's literally my favorite part of OP.

I'm personally a fan of simply having a saying which you frequently insert, but not ALWAYS.

(Watching One Piece, and recently met Vander Decken who frequently appends "I suspect!" to what he says)

Only if you add "devil" to everything.

Make it something you can be creative with. Adding a word at the end of a sentence would make me want to murder my players. Something like having to use the word fuck in every sentence could be silly, but you would get leeway in how the quirk comes out. Broken speech can also be good although it's less of a "quirk." I have a goblin with an annoying as fuck voice and a weak grasp of English, but the players seem to find him amusing.

This is the only way to do it right.

youtu.be/TT2GRpwwS8M

youtu.be/L5rsWqL2Kl4

Shit like the OP is too far, because it's an example of a speech quirk that simply doesn't exist in the english language.

Shit like umuu or desu or whatever the fuck is purely a quirk of the japanese language, and therefore has no place in an english-speaking rpg group.

A character could, however, have a stutter, or maybe a raspy voice as a result of an injury, and of course its always fun to get Roight Orky when playing an Orc.

>"G-gao."
>*boink*
>"Itai"

What the fuck is this shit?

One of my favourite characters ended most sentences with "yes."

>I think so, yes.
>Don't go left, it's trapped, right must be safer, yes.
>My notes, oh, they are for whoever wants to read them, yes.

If you play a robot this is a must.

I once played a robot who's only programmed phrases were "halt", "you must renegotiate" and "we must renegotiate".

He was an ex security droid.

The end of every encounter would be him just going "halt!" and shooting a guy in the leg, then demanding he renegotiate at gunpoint.

personally i just sort of change the pitch of my voice, or the speed that i talk, and most people will instantly know which character i'm doing as a DM. i don't really do "voices," but my players like what i do.
i've done "voices" for some villains before, like trying (and coming sort of close) to a zorak voice for a villain. that was hell on my throat though so i was clearly doing it wrong.

Nevada-tan.

Desu is literally just a verbal period in Japanese sentence structure, funnily enough.

You don't know if she was cute. The picture most anons throw around of her is in reality some cosplayer, the real deal taken off any media since it was a minor in times where people didn't stream everything left and right.

Nothing beats a good MYAAH!

I assumed it was so that everything they said would be a question.
>You're hungry, yes?
>You want I should die, yes?
>I go now, yes?

Played a robot like this. After gaining self awareness he thought that his name was Roger, since that's how people addressed him over the radio.

So what I'm getting here is playing an orc with no concept of pronouns would be bad.

Playing as an 6 INT Kobold I had fun never calling anything by its' proper names

>all objects are "the thing"
>all animals are weird dogs
>all weapons are jabbers or smushers
>anything valuable is shinies

Not that guy, but the character I played who did that had basically adopted it from a region where it was considered polite to show you had considered everything you said after you had said it. This led to people taking a brief pause before affirming it once more. Then the noble cast who did this ended up being abolished when the nation was taken over, but the speech quirk stuck around, though the pause was dropped.

So you have a regional dialect where people constantly append 'yes' to the end of every sentence, not as a question, but as an affirmation.

Of course, much of the reasoning behind the quirk had been lost by that point, hence there was no longer any pause between sentence and affirmation, and it was specifically regarded as a little strange in-setting, since the people from that region rarely travelled.

It's kawaii as fuck, nigger.

Nyah, I played a foxgirl in Shadowrun who added 'nyah' once or twice every sentence, nyah. Everyone thought it was endearing, rather than annoying, nyah!

I mean, the internet still found class photos and spread them far and wide.
It's weird that you mention the cosplayer at all, like you weren't around at the time or something.

There's a fine line to walk

Irish accent straight out of Father Ted.

OP is the epitome of executing speech quirks well. But only because of how absurd and goofy the setting is are the laughs and quirks at all tolerable

>doreshishishishi
>boyoyoyoi
>shurorororororo
>gishigishigishi
>etc