/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------
Urbie puttin’ on the ritz, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – UPDATED (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

(new)
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-03-29 - Still getting worked on & now has 11429 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-03-26!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/battletech-april-fools-day-operation-total-freakin-awesomeness/
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=2521.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

claim your battletech waifu

Omi Kurita, obv

Well, if you're going that route, let's start the thread off right.

Star Captain Fiona Cooper. Girly Inner Spheraboo Elementals are the best.

First Girl=Best Girl

Reposting Piranha doodle alongside the doodle of the Striker someone asked for a while back.

Piranha just needs M2s jutting out of the chest, rather than full shrouds. It ain't worth butt if it ain't got that jut.

Strikerfag here; also the user who asked for the Merlin. Just want to say this looks fucking great.

Do you think you could give the nightstar a go, maybe looking more like the shimmerauder?

Lisa Hayes.

This man speaks truth. I like 'em a little thick in the hips.

That's a lot better than my Striker redesign, I gotta admit. Makes me want to revisit mine.

I thought that was the ERMcL version, not the MG version. (also the LA laser mount is longer by about 50-75% than the RA one). Really like the backside, though - that's a good profile period, and it really recalls the fish without being too much, well, furry faggotry.

Who is Lisa Hayes?

AKA Misa Hayase. Look, just go watch Macross on Amazon, you'll be glad you did.

Got a quick question.
There are landmines, but are there inferno / napalm land mines not just to deal with mechs, but to cause tanks and infantry unbridled hell?

Submitted the issue last night, thanks for the help.

The original art and models had minigun barrels on there for the Pirahna. I'm kind of usin Alex' weapon styles between clan and inner sphere to try and keep them thematically tied to their tech base.

You know, I just happen to have a really rough doodle of it I made in preparation for a commission, but that never really went anywhere.

>I thought that was the ERMcL version, not the MG version.
It's the PRA-1. 2x c-ERMcL, 1x c-ERSL, 12x machineguns

>(also the LA laser mount is longer by about 50-75% than the RA one).
Yeah, the laser on the left arm ended up too long and slim.

A character from user's pedo cartoons.

Post your Striker, user.

That actually looks pretty good, almost a bit like a King Crab/marauder hybrid
Any interest in finishing it?

I gotcha.

Do husbandos count?

>wanting to fuck somebody who killed his own mother

In Clan Occupation space, waifu claims you!

it's pretty low on the priority list. I've got other pieces I'm working on, and after ones like the Pirahna, Bane, Striker or the Lobo, I have two dozen other 'mechs to work on.

You certainly made some interesting choices for 'Mechs to work on. Especially intrigued that you are futzing with the Crimson Langur and Hellfire. Was a bit shocked at the Piranha too. Hopefully you can get most of this done before you get inundated with more requests.

Also, I'm curious; have you ever posted a design of your own creation? I'd like to see what your aesthetics are when it comes to stuff 100% out of your own head.

I'm not a 'mech designer, I have no clue how to start building the 'mech itself.

I mean, I can draw a bunch of unique robots but they won't be legal designs by a long shot.

>Post your Striker, user.
Apologies for the crap scan, I'm using a phone-scanner because my printer died ages ago. This is more of a sculpt breakdown at the moment, but I'm happy with the general arm and torso architecture, and the more beetling rear torso compared to the CGL "slab with a heat sink" bullshit. Please note that this is supposed to be a Star League-era design, and I'm cribbing heavily from the BLK and Mackie. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing..

I remember a few threads back you posted a list of books you learned/were inspired from. Can you repost it?

I can't for the life of me remember anymore. Basically a couple of anime art books, art books from the guy who made the original robotech designs, loads of vidya game art books.

To be perfectly honest, you're probably much better off mastering google-fu and buying a portable harddrive for reference material. I've got nearly 2 terabytes worth of science fiction artwork, screenshots, 3D renders and film clips that I mainly browse through to "inspire" myself with shapes and details.

YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME?

Does anyone have a picture of Bailey Jay in a neurohelmet?

Got my warhansa mechs assembled and the initial paint on them.
Left to right; Griffin, Urbanmech, Highlander, Marauder, Shadowhawk, Thunderbolt, and the King Crab for my wife.
Tomorrow we are playing a match consisting of 170 ton lances, inner sphere, succession war/age of war/star league era tech, tournament legal rules.
So far I'm thinking of running a medium lance; WTH-2, CLNT-2-3U, BJ-3, and either a PXH-1b "Special" or a PXH-3S.

>Random ruskies in slavland can produce high-quality plastic mech miniatures faster and better than CGL.

I would just like to tell the user who commissioned this, that after reading about the Scorpions conquest of Waypoint 531 in the Wars of Reaving (pg. 128) that this design could have existed omitting the interface cockpit. God I love the wars of reaving, it made the homeworld clans look like the monsters they are.

Right? Definitely 10/10 gonna order again.
Wife wants 2 Crabs to go with her King Crab.
I need to think about what else I'd want or need. I don't think there are anymore unseens he has. (I have the Warhammer, Rifleman, Archer, Longbow, and Phoenix Hawk in addition to what I have here )

I DON'T NEED WAIFUS, I ONLY NEED TO JAG HARDER

>The event that eventually led to Clan Burrock and Blood Spirit being denied the grueling, crawling over each other, brutal bloodbath they both deserved to have and instead had Star Adder and their Burrock boytoys collectiviely ram them like Isis.
>Star Adder
>S T A R A D D E R
Guess who I dislike

I'd like to get some but the local group near me is run by A CGL Demo guy
Yes, its like how you think

>Wife wants 2 Crabs to go with her King Crab.
CRABBED.com

Fucking wank snakes
There would actually probably be clanners who think like that, wouldn't there?

Is he like the one we have here were he only lets us use his minis?
I didn't play there again.

Is the IRC down?

Thin your fucking paints nigger

She has a hardon for the C3i variants for both.

>star adders
The first time in battletech history where a Drakensis fanfic was less masturbatory than the canon events

That Marik Shad is delicious. I don't like Hansa's version of the bigger 'Mechs (especially the Thud and its weedy little gun), but the smaller ones are pretty tasty. And that King Crab.. Mmmm.

He follows the rule about MWO miniatures veryyy stringently and hates non-battletech miniatures in his games.

Damn that sux. My group here gives no fucks. The only downside is one of them is a introtech 3025 only grognard.

I want her to brake my arms for trying to reach into her dress.

What is the best use for ultra-light designs? Are they worth it? Post your custom ultra-light designs

Get out, you illiterate gayboy

>brake

>noun: a thing that slows or hinders a process.
>"user's parents put the brakes on his mental development by dropping him on his head as a baby."

Doctor Pavel, I'm the society.

>Are they worth it?

No

I mean, it isn't what I meant, but the idea can stand on its own.

blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/battletech-april-fools-day-operation-total-freakin-awesomeness/

1. FAST. Or else industrialmechs that don't need to be any heavier to do whatever thing they're made to do.

2. Not all that much. Just as you're better off with a two ton assault BA than a two ton protomech, 10-15 ton protomechs are generally better for stuff than mechs of that weight.

>What is the best use for ultra-light designs
Using the maximum number of weight-saving tech items to go absurdly fast

I made it four paragraphs into the "story". What are the odds this is what WoB plays on repeat in it's reeducation camps.

He clearly stole that story from someone because it incorporates no characters of a Scottish heritage or references to the American Civil War though.

Thoughts on the Gotha aerospace fighter?

Specifically the -400, -500, and -600 variants?

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=2521.0 ?

Gothas are slow. 5/8 is not the best since it limits you to going after things that are, usually, 20-40 tons heavier. They will have better armour and more guns on average. They also have just one ton of ammo for the LRMs, which means that after 4 turns you can be stuck with a quarter of the Gotha's mass as dead weight.

The -400 has fairly weak armour, so you'd better hope you get a lot of decisive thresholds from the PPC and/or LRMs.

The -500 improves on the armour a little by giving it Ferro-Aluminium,but it's still slow, the armour still isn't up to modern levels, and the LRMs are still going to exhaust their ammo too fast. The -500b shits the bed by making the PPC a Large Pulse Laser which reduces its range and damage, then adds Artemis to the LRMs so you can waste 17 tons after 4 turns.

The -600 still has shit armour and sacrifices a lot of range for what it gets. At least the change in engine size means it moves as fast as the average medium fighter, but the use of an LFE over an XLFE means that modern fighters will still slap its shit in since they have more guns and more armour.

Looks pretty badass though, for what little that matters.

You could practice by doing other people's customs on commission. Or free. Or however you want. There's no shortage of people with custom rides they'd want art for, and if you have any notions about doing stuff for the /btg/TRO you'd need the practice translating concepts to paper anyway.

Looks quite a bit like the Loose art; I'm guessing you were looking to correct it?

Fun fact: with an XL engine and Endo Steel, and LFF armor, you can make a Wasp 1A at 15 tons, saving a lot of materials for other things. It costs less Cbills than a base 1A to boot. I considered making some ma & pa firm that does ultralight versions of the Bugs because they are even cheaper than the standard ones, and being lighter means they would be easier to store in say, a city as a police unit or something, which is what ultralights excel at.

>police unit
What are the best mechs for police units?

>and if you have any notions about doing stuff for the /btg/TRO you'd need the practice translating concepts to paper anyway.

Are you working on that?

Anything with Machine Guns, because they can use rubber suppression rounds, or Fluid Guns for water cannons. There are also Tear Gas rounds for the SRM. There are a few existing actual 'Mechs like the Copper and the Peacemaker, but I've read a few places that Bugs are in use as well, usually modified.

Nah, I just mentioned it offhand. I'm not cruising for free art or anything either, if that's a concern. Just jawing with you about it. You're a good artist so I was just waxing about possibilities. Truth be told I would like to see some of your stuff in the book though.

>you'd need the practice translating concepts to paper anyway

This is harder than it sounds.

Oh I know it is for sure. I've been trying to draw a single 'Mech for weeks. I have... a rough idea how I want the shoulders and forearms/hands to look. That's really it. I have like no art skill at all though so it's really slow going. Mad props to people who can draw technical/mechanical stuff. I used to be able to draw people a long time ago but never was able to git gud at drawing tech.

>blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/battletech-april-fools-day-operation-total-freakin-awesomeness/

>Lieutenant Cody Whiplash Brightstar- callsign Tight-Testicles, piloted his family’s Stinger ™ with ease. BattleMech’s ® had been the cross-dressing kings of the battlefield for over 30 centuries (give or take 28 centuries or so).

Blaine Pardoe confirmed ancap

I am not convinced rubber rounds out of .50cals will be less than lethal. I mean if you get hit in the knee that joint is wrecked, if it hits you in the head you are dead. Maybe a hit to your side would just break ribs. I guess technically this is an improvement over fmj, just not sure how much of one.

Eh, they're in the rules is all I was saying. Whether they're actually viable/realistic is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

>Any house caring about police lethality

Hey Shimmy you on? Got a question for you.

Just picked up your new Wasp mini at Guardian(you know the place) and was wondering about one of the parts. It "looks" like a three "barrel" comm antenna but i've only got one of them and none of the art for your Wasp has it included.

Anything you can do to clear this up?

Beanbag rounds out of shotguns are roughly .60 cal so your statement doesn't make much sense. A 'mech's machine guns are electrically driven, so they don't need impulse to cycle the action like a regular gun would.

I would imagine that they'd have very light loads under heavy projectiles, more like a 12 gauge beanbag than anything else
Hell, maybe more like plastic shells full of rubber balls, shoot at the ground and throw stingballs everywhere

I feel ya.

Your right. I was just trying to think through in my head the consequences of this. I didn't know of this ammo type previously.

I was going to talk about mass and velocity with you, but makes a good point. Maybe the load these rounds light.

Yes, you can talk mass and velocity all day long. Which is why I mentioned the electrically driven part. They don't need recoil to cycle the action yadda yadda. They can shoot soft, like how beanbags are fired and typically out of pump-actions since low-velocity/low-recoil rounds like that don't cycle reliably in semi-autos.

This just in, sky is blue, water is wet, and rubber rounds have light loads. News at 11.

>Looks quite a bit like the Loose art; I'm guessing you were looking to correct it?
Kind of. I want to have a few, but the design is so goddamned fucking ugly. So I'm doing a refinement concept to start sculpting with. I really like the back and gun-mounts, and the Mackie-derived AC makes me happy. Not sure if I'm going to keep the original asymmetry, but regardless I want it to be recognizably a) Star League and b) a Striker. Just not so fucking hideous.

Because Knights in Shining Potatoes.

Well good luck user. I kinda like the Striker myself, but I like mass-produced generic troopers like the Striker, Merlin, and Vindicator, so it'd be good to see a mini of it that's decent. I honestly was kind of hoping MWO would grab it since it has no "unseen" issues and we'd get an FD version but between Sketchanon doing his, which looks great, and you trying to update the mini, I can't say I'm entirely unhappy.

>A Binary

I don't know if anyone's seen it yet, but this BT april fools post is hilarious.,

I can feel the brain cells dying. 10/10.

>used tanks for rollerskates and greased their actuators with the blood of dead infantry who dared oppose them.

God, this makes me miss Citytech rules.

>tfw cant pick from Clan Nova Shart or Ivory Poachers

Those were my two favorites too. But Ivory Poachers are my favorite, as the natural rival of Clan Space Jew.

okay, random drunk thought.

Is there any mention in BT of RL strange interstellar phenomenon like Black holes besides the blakist hyperspace bases?

Why the fuck is hyperspace in autocorrect?

Yes. Certain places are very hard to traverse or took a long time to colonize due to various stellar phenomena. The Pleiades Cluster, Pirate's Haven Cluster, Draconis Rift, Veil of Kerensky, and lots of others fall into this.

Rarely comes up in the novels though since you either have people that have routes calculated through the crap over hundreds of years or nobody goes there.

Also, Blakist hyperspace bases weren't real. They're just the rumors of Blakist hyperspace work, the first real advancement in that department in over five hundred years, turned up to eleven. Liberty Station could have easily been "a secret hyperspace base". Not on any map. Place where they developed Clarion Call, built the first SHPG, and wrote the programs for superjumps. So it was both a secret base and devoted immensely to hyperspace stuff. Contrast that to the rumors of MD's living on the surface of suns in some kind of shifted dimension.

>Also, Blakist hyperspace bases weren't real.

>Republicucks actually believe this

>You could practice by doing other people's customs on commission,

Doing that.

It's not translating concepts or vague ideas I have a problem with, it's the technical side of building a battlemech or omnimech that fits within the ruleset of the game.

If I started designing my mech idea, I would end up with stuff like dual ATM9 dual heavy PPC, guardian ECM clan XL things, or dual shoulder mounted HAG 20 and fucktons of lasers quad 'mech with a bipedal mechs upper torso.

This reminded me of something interesting. Did you guys know that out of all the allies of the Word of Blake, the only ones that never abandoned them or didn't die were the Taurians?

Even at the end of the war, you have the Taurian leadership bemoaning the WoB HPG crews and training forces leaving Taurian space for reaches unknown and going "Our friends are leaving. Why? Do they not think we can protect them?"

that Piranha side view, I love you.

55 ton trio getting their 2017 redraws.

Don't worry bullbros, we'll be back someday soon

>No art of Taurians and Wobbies drinking beer together and launching nukes

>Blakist hyperspace bases weren't real
>basically everything in Jihad Conspiracies was confirmed as canon
>"weren't real"

Well Taurians are one of the only objectively good countries in bt.

A while back (like, a year or two) we had two idiots stinking the thread up, one babbling about IS protomechs and the other about Savannah Master swarms. I made this to shut them both the hell up. (It failed, of course.)

I'm from Brockway and I say kill 'em all!