Mtg Lore Thread/Fanwallker General: This Again Edition

Right so with the adventuring on Kaladesh done and Amonkhet info slowly being revealed I figure now is as good a time as any to start this up again.

This is a completely new thread so new walkers please.

Please don't. You'll summon Vronak.

I'm taking that risk; I actually enjoyed these threads before all that nonsense.
There were some interesting characters made.

How about no.

Why aren't there like thousands of walkers in every world ending event? Like Tarkir being re-written, the Eldrazi taking over two whole Planes.... Phyrexia.... things like this.
Why do they only introduce like one new walker?>

Cuz the odds of having a spark is very limited (can't remember the percentage) and the odds of having your spark ignited is also very limited.

One in a million iirc.

But there have been multiple walkers from one plane before; like on Tarkir. Narset and Sarkhan are of similar age I think. Same thing on Innistrad with Tibalt and the werewolf walker.

And that number is just in what I'd call low population planes.

There are only as many planeswalkers as the plot demands.

You're trying to apply logic to the flavor text of a children's card game.

But some walkers don't interact with the plot. Rade never interacted with Jace to my knowledge.

was Kaladesh that boring people don't have any new walkers to make?

>undead
>planeswalker

Isn't one of the more important planeswalkers a vampire? and another a robot? I don't see why an undead can't be one.

Innistrad/Zendikar Vampires never actually die, and Karn had a spark given to him through exceptional circumstances.

Vampires on Innistrad aren't undead. Undead and constructs can't normally have sparks, they need to be given one by another being with a spark. Karn's spark is donated, he couldn't normally be a walker.

And, as a note, his original spark wasn't JUST donated - he was fused with Urza and the rest of the Legacy (which included the powerstone that included Glacian's spark as well.) His second was given to him by Venser, yes - but we don't know if him having one previously is what enabled that to even happen in the first place or not due to his being a construct.
And every time someone makes a snowflake that is an exception to the rules for no good reason, it just leads to more people doing the same, because 'look at the ones already there, one more won't be too bad'. Then you end up with legions of unnamed premending walkers sacrificing themselves for random people for poorly defined reasons.

Narset and Sarkhan are a bit of a weird case. Sarkhan is from original timeline Tarkir which doesn't exist anymore except in Sarkhan's memory, and Sarkhan doesn't exist in new Tarkir. We also don't know if Narset had a Spark in original Tarkir. So it's a bit of a weird situation.

Dominaria though, Planeswalkers are like mushroom after the rain, tons of them.

I also have been guessing since Amonkhet was revealed that it was created by Bolas to be a place that forces people with Sparks to ignite, which still seems to be the case.

I imagine it like this, and I know it's not the canon, but all that goes on in the MTG storyline is the "local cluster" so to speak. The multiverse is infinite, but all the planes we've been too so far are "close" to each other and so we see planeswalkers from the same planes show up a lot.

There is a reason why this used to be called Snowflake General. Expect the impossible.

That's because being a planeswalker, IN AND OF ITSELF, is a special snowflake thing (lorewise).
The fact that so many people went BEYOND that - or didn't even care, with undead/created/nonsapient walkers who Just Sparked Because - is BEYOND that. And THEN they had extra stuff ON TOP of that.
That's not a snowflake. That's well past snowflake
It's another word that begins with an S.

Stupendous

And then it was the cock

I think that both versions of Narset had the potential to become planeswalkers; just that Old Tarkir's Narset never got to awaken that power because she got involved with Sarkhan's feud with the orc and then got re-written.

or the Sliver swarm
Or Gaia and crew.

This shit's coming back?

Huh. Maybe I'll get to writing again.

New characters are preferable to old ones.
Make one from Kaladesh or Amonkhet, or from any other plane. Just make it new.

Who are you to tell them what to do?

>tfw made a joke flake some time ago
>tfw deleted the pic because I thought these threads would never come back

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP SENPAI

Sue, Mary?

There we go.

All walkers are sues in some way or another. Just look at Jace or Nissa

...Jace is a perpetual fuckup and even being the Guildpact is less 'cool powers' and more 'horrible responsibility nobody should be saddled with'
Nissa...Nissa is a plot device rather than a character.

In fairness, the flavor text makes Jace seem like an edgy faggot. It's only when you read the stories that you go "Wow, this dude's a loser."

Some day we will actually meet Flavor Text Jace. And he will say snarky comments to Actual Jace.

Relax, he's just some chucklefuck who thinks "Mary Sue" means "any character I don't like"

No I meant that Jace has like the cliche amnesia story and Nissa is the last of her kind, magic wise. She's the only elf that can talk to entire Planes.

Thing is that he doesn't dwell on it and all of it has been self inflicted except the real early stuff and has been used to protect himself.

Didn't Jace meet a duplicate of himself and was unnerved by how smug he was?

Honestly that was pretty funny.

I have a question; what colors would bard-style magic be? Like I'm trying to make character and I'm just not sure what colors to make them.

Artistic expression is generally red.

But I'm not going for artsy.
More like this person can channel magic through their voice. They sort of mimic the helpful nature of bard magic, bolstering their allies. Maybe momentarily take control of enemy monsters... Might eventually dip into Black mana for the -1s.

Anyone still have the template for OC planes?

People make up their own planes?

We play Magic. We're a bunch of autistic nerds. Of course we do.

Vronak?

That's red dude.

I'd argue that anyone who would have had their sparked ignited would have had it done sooner in the revolution, and at the climax of it.
It would be weird from a story stand point to say, "As Chandra bitch slapped some weak ass guard off a high rise his spark ignited, and the dude swooshed on out of this place to somewhere else." It would probably just frustrate readers at the massive loose end to the plot of who hell is Bitch Guard is and when he'll be relevant to the lore, if ever.

Oh man I haven't seen these in forever. I guess I'll remake some of my old OCs and see if I actually want to do something with them.

Turns out I had a curator phase for a while and have a bunch of OC documentation on my google drive back from when this first started out.
Anyone want links to this Veeky Forums brand OC?

I found a filled one.

I feel like Ish is going for a complete 32 at this point the way she talks about them.

Green is confirmed for the color of storytelling and bards.

Bards really feel RG to me. The passion of music, and the honor of the ancestors.
I guess Temur would also fit, but the U feels a little pushed.

Green first, red second, blue at a distant push.

Green's focus on history and community fits the original intention of bards as storytellers and bearers of oral history. They only start becoming red the more modern you get, with the focus being on art and how appealing the music is and the emotions it inspires. And you only get blue if you want to view spreading history as spreading knowledge.

I'd say it's safe to say that bards should be G first. RG's plausible for them though.

Still proud that my 'joke' description was that she was 'remarkably well balanced'.

Anyway, is this happening? Should I write something?

I think G first and R second is best, and really anything can fit board line. I don't think U fits it any better then W or B sense U has no use for honoring the past, only knowing it.
G honors the past because the past and the present are the same for it. And tradition.
R does it out of love and glory.

It's a shame I never got to writing much for Izari. I enjoyed daydreaming stories with her.

If a new one does start, I'll do what I always do and make the collage for it. I'm hoping it doesn't though. The return of unmentionables is inevitable.

You're saying you'll work on something you hate? That seems... I mean what, are you doing penance for your sins?

Hate's the wrong word. I enjoy the creative exercise. What I dislike is when it turns into a circlejerk or when it becomes dominated by unsavory elements, which is when I usually stop doing updates. And it's always a little sad when I do stop.

>This is a completely new thread so new walkers please
It's 2:30 in the morning and I'm too tired to write a new character so I'm posting my one from last time and there's nothing you can do about it!

Fine. One last hurrah.

That makes it sound slightly less flagellating. I suppose the way to see it in that case is that the bad is the price to pay for the good.

Quick read makes this p. reasonable. It's a small thing, but I'd recommend you maybe find some white cards for preferred spells. As-is, a quick glance raises questions about the white identity. (It's only towards the tail end with the Selesnya in the bio wherein it makes sense.)

Also, small detail - the first word of the bio is mispelt. Tobais. But yeah, p. good. It'd be nice to explore his personality more, how he applies his pacifism, for example.

I'd comment, but, well, with the best will in the world, this is old hat now. Even so, nice to see these things again. Weird to feel nostalgia for something within the last year, but there it is.

I got bored and decided to try, and ended up nostalgia tripping a bit.

Consider a more readable font.

I was thinking that most forms of bardic-style magic would be Green, and then how the performer utilizes it would change the secondary colors. Like this would be some combination of WBUG.

You sweet summer child.

How much Etherium would prevent you from becoming a Planeswalker?
Or would that not matter?

Zombies are considered animated corpses, which means they have died. Typically, undead creatures like these are incapable of possessing sparks.

The Scornful Aether-Lich is a creature entirely converted into etherium and counts as a zombie. This leads me to believe that full etherium conversion is effectively undeath, which wouldn't allow an aether-lich to hold a spark.

But with Etherium production now possible on Esper there could be more people like this punk.
Has he replaced too much of himself with metal that he will never have his spark ignite?

Is he a zombie?

If not, no.

>only posting the second snowstorm
Silly. One dead snowstorm is just as dead as the other.

Better?

Much better

Better.

I'd still keep the old copy, just for aesthetic purposes. It suits the Rebecca Guay look down to the ground.

Bump

It's better that the thread dies naturally than says alive through bumps.

This kind of thread is driven by OC. If there's no OC, it shouldn't exist. Either let people make OC or let it die.

Different guy. The question in my mind is whether or not this is going to be a "thing" again. As in is this the start of a new snowstorm, or is one person going to post a flake and that's it?

If it gains traction (which it looks like it isn't) it won't. It does, it will be the new snowstorm.

Rate my rat

2015/10

Incomplete/10

Honestly the backstory seems a lot more Rakdos than Boros.

Thanks man

I have an idea for an Amonkhet walker.
I'm going to have to wait to see what the lore is of the plane and the role of gods.
My idea is that in ages past a Blue mage was testing out various types of wizardry and came across different types of cloning magic.
Ends up making a pact with either a God or Demon... Something strong and whenever he died his spirit would seek out a clone and meld his spirit to theirs.
Essentially it's like a really strong Avatar of this guy who has lived for a long time and managed to become familiar with every color.
One of the clones became a planeswalker trying to fight off the possession, cut off from Amonkhet and the Pact allowed him to become the dominant personality.

I feel like there is some potential to develop further and come up with an interesting character but I figure I would float the idea around here see what other's have to say.

I thought that the Kami were peaceful now?
And I am not really seeing the Black in this character's nature, other than the fact that they are a rat folk and that's what color they were on Kamigawa.

It isn't common knowledge that the Kamigawa block took place millennia ago.

>that picture
AWAKEN MY MASTERS

Funnily enough that picture was inspiration; I was going to come up with my own Egyptian themed plane a while back but forgot about it.
Got some cool pictures though.

Going bump this to see if anyone has an opinion.

Fill out the template and post it, and we'll either tell you it's good or insult you with image macros.

If I did I'd have to hope this thread survives long enough for all the Amonkhet lore to be released.
This is just a speculative idea until then.

We postin' flakes or what?

One thing about a clone having the spark of a planeswalker is the issue of a clone being created. It's not born, it's fabricated and fabricated creatures are incapable of holding sparks.

Candidates for ignition of a spark are naturally born living creatures that haven't been killed or experienced the identity death of compleation.

One way of making this work - and perhaps a reason for the host to care enough to fight against the possession - is to instead have the immortal wizard instead breed a dynasty and select his host from the strongest, fittest and most intelligent of the heirs that he has bred.

Additionally, the ambition of immortality is a thoroughly black thing, made even blacker by the fact that he does it through the parasitic method of possession. At the very least, he's black-blue and even that requires some emphasis on a thirst for knowledge.

Final point I have to make on the matter is that the only instances of any mage being so experienced that they transcended their color boundaries are Ugin and Urza - and even then, Ugin abandoned conventional magic and Urza still didn't dabble in the nature magic of Green.

>tl;dr
There's a lot of moving parts in this concept and you're going to have to be very careful to pull it off without disrupting established lore somehow.