Giants should have their own plane of existence like fey often have

Giants should have their own plane of existence like fey often have.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4UqFPujRZWo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>When manlets get so mad, they want a separate reality of their own

THEY DO, IT'S CALLED JOTUNHEIM

Consider the following: the giants should not have any planes of existence, and neither should faeries.

Literally just make up whatever lore you want.

/thread

As much as people hated 4e, I think it had some interesting bits of lore. Namely that "immortal" was a creature type, which were themed after the titans and some gods from Greek mythology. Planes where they lived were often very Olympus/Othrys themed, and some giants were said to have been descended from them.

Aren't giants fey creatures like gnomes boggarts and pixies?

That's for frost giants. I'd be more interested in something Greek themed rather than Norse, like , with places looking more like OP's pic than frozen wastes

They did in 4e, they were from the Elemental Chaos.

Personally I prefer the idea that their plane of existence is the material. It's their world, we just live in it.

Gnomes, seriously?

what about germanic folktale giants?

It makes sense if you think about all the races that live in the same planet. Get's pretty easy to swallow when you think they're only a few inches tall and have to deal with giant monsters all the time if they have to travel.

giants took all their height

So what would you have in this realm of Giants? I do like the sky picture from OP, so maybe floating islands?

Grand spectacular spires and castles. Flying buttresses everywhere. Full-on mount Olympus in the sky.

In my head cannon, Jack was wrong. An ignorant, foppish farm boy is climbs through a portal to the mountains of a world-4 plane of giants. He sees the clouds below and thinks he is in a world-5 cloud land. Thats the story he tells. Thats what history records.

It makes sense that there would be a whole world of beings that are normal height in their world but who project as very big when they step through to the material/physical/real/adventure plane.

A few giant castles, which can be floating islands, volcano lairs or what-have-you. But they're few and far between.
The lands are exaggerated versions of real life. The trees are taller, the mountains more vertical and the rivers wilder. Animals can talk, but they lie all the time. You're safe from the wild magic as long as you stay on the path. Communities are often ruled by a giant, or otherwise terrorized by lessere ones.
Pretty much everything is magic in giant land, but it's not very useful or constructive magic. Plants with weird effects, rivers with emotions, bugs that eat gold. The giants themselves do have the ability to use that magic for their own gain, seven league boots, spyglasses of farsight, polymorph amulets. That sort of stuff.

Almost every single part of that already describes the feywild

you know, in faerytales not in D&D monster manual.

There's also muspelheim

Oh shit, yeah

Anor Londo was literally the land of giants.

I don't even know what that is, can you give us some details?

Land of the fire giants.

Giants were one of the first kinds of beings, and walked alongside the Gods.

Giants being Fey could make sense. Not all Fey have to be creatures of the woodlands after all.

Is everything fire and the rest on fire?

So a Cyclopopolis?

Probably.
It's mainly were they come from to fuck everything up at Ragnarök.

Yeah, they're pretty big on the whole 'fire' thing.

Then Surtr and the Muspell charged across the Bifrost and broke the connection between Asgard and Earth.

I mean, there are already fomorians and leshies

In D&D 3.0 oriental adventures they introduced a creature "supertype" (was a subtype but worked for many Types of creatures) called Spirit.
Fey, Giants, Elementals, Outsiders and some Dragon and incorporeal Undead could be Spirits.

Alice in wonderland. The garden part with the bugs and the sizechanging.

Consider this counter-proposal: while they don't necessarily need a whole other plane of existence they could have "secret places" in the world where they hide their communities and such which could include extradimensional factors.
You can also have these places coincide with ley lines and magical nexuses.

Some book also had a class "spirit guide" or something like that which got a spirit companion and the ability to rebuke spirits.
I can't remember how effective the class is but considering how wide the "spirit" category is they could at leats interact with a large variety of creatures.

There are Giants in the sky...
There are big, tall, terrible Giants in the sky...

Like the underdark, but in different flavors.
The Sky Isles.
The Deep Woods.
The Great Spire.
The Lost City.
The Hidden Webway.
The Mindscape.

That's true in 4e too. Titans and primordials shaped the world.

In 4e gnomes were made more of a fey-like woodland dweller race when Tieflings got promoted to core

Wizards even made some videos about it and the other changes with 4e

youtu.be/4UqFPujRZWo

was 9 years ago
>>feels like it just happened

Well now I feel old

Yeah, fairy circles to fairy towns, giant doors to giant tribehomes, the ley nexus on the cloudy mountaintop where the cloud giant kingdom hides.
This also allows you to play around with space some and more easily hide the more magical communities and their realms from mortals.

I want to steal all of these and replace the Giants with insect people. I'm imagining the Lost City being connected, and almost built out of, something like an endless bee hive with spider silk bridges.

Use it, it's all yours my friend.

The Sky Isles is the realm of giants.
The Deep Woods is the realm of fey.
The Great Spire is the realm of gods.
The Lost City is the realm of necromancers, also every uncharted game.
The Hidden Webway is the realm of insects.
The Mindscape is the realm of ghosts.

Mount Olympus. Plus maybe Tartarus.

The greek Gods/Titans/etc. were essentially giants loaded with magic items, who regularly ate/drank food that extends longevity.

There was definitely something arcane about them though, often there was made no distinction between a god and the concept they represent. For instance, you shouldn't speak hades name, because naming something has a chance of summoning it and if you summon death someone dies.
But you know, giants could be like that as well, gods of wild things like natural disasters that humans don't pray to.

Scandinavian giants and gods interbred and interacted freely, there's no indication that they're a different kind of being, but scandinavian giants weren't called giants until modern translations and may not have been conceptualized as particularly large.

Of course the usage of "giant" to mean something big is kind of a reversal.

It's more likely that their name, gigantes, referred to being the offspring of Gaia, and their size was just a thing about them. But things kept being compared to them in size, making it become a word for big.

Kinda like cyclopean.

Yeah, that's probably the case for greek mythology.
But I don't think de ice and fire giants ever get mentioned as being large in the Edda.

Well duh, Giants live on vast floating BATTLEBURGS, that are immense floating islands floating above the clouds (like in jack and the beanstalk) and from which they sometimes descend to raid the little world below them.

Of course "above the clouds" is less a physical place as a metaphysical one, so the Battleburgs of the giants might appear anywhere in time or space.

Are they there own ecology, teeming with giant animals who dig tunnels that reach deeper than even the Burg seems to?

What would you call the land of the giants above the clouds? If it's the opposite of the underdark, I'd think you'd go for the same kind of wordplay. Or completely different, I dunno. The overworld?

Of course! Also, regular geese.

>Or completely different, I dunno. The overworld?

What about Überwelt?

I like that Sky Isles or Great Spire of the Clouds the other person mentioned.

Otherwise, you could just say "Bloody Feywild" and call it done.

That sounds more like an injury, but I wouldn't mind using the term

Given the Islands in the Air theme, how about the Skysea?

YES

What do you think it should look like bruh?

or... the highlands.

Heh

Wait, were these from other books or the old Planes from DnD?

>gothic architecture
>Mount Olympus

These things don't typically go together.

They do, it's called the material plane.
There's just a severe pest problem

>Giants should have their own plane of existence like fey often have.

So how would you handle putting Giants into a Modern day setting?

Cloudlands

Only if you're a fetishist.

Giants are actually just humans and demi-humans from prime material planes that are much larger in scale than our own.

>We want you to PLAY with us some more!

>HEH HEH!
>IT WAS F U N PLAYING WITH THOSE CHILDREN!

Could Giants be considered kin to gods? Like the Jotun and Aesir?

>PCs get pulled into a plane where they're the giants
>the natives explain that a dragon from their plane has summoned a small kobold tribe from the party's plane and convinced them to follow it
>they're just regular kobolds, but no one can fight them because of the scale difference
>players must save the world from a tiny dragon and its army of waist-high giant monsters

They could, but when is that really going to come into play?

but giants are fey anyway right?

When the PCs meet Giants.

What? Are they going to be talking about their cousin twice removed who has his own paladin order all the time?

No, but they will have the levity in their portrayal worthy of something like a demigod. Something close to gods.

So you're thinking about toga's and golden auras on your giants?

For some. Cloud Giants probably.

So every cloud giant has a silver lining?

I'd expect it to be pink normally.

Well for certain the favoured metal of cloud giants now is silver.

>Wandering near insect hives let's you recreate scenes out of Starship Troopers

So how would you handle Giant Space aliens Veeky Forums? Is there any system that would let people play as them?

I was thinking Ultraman since the party and the kobolds are giants and everything else is tiny.

Fuck you.

>Giants should have their own plane of existence, like the fey
>Dragons should have their own plane of existence, like the fey
>Goblinoids should have their own plane of existence, like the fey
>Slavs should have their own plane of existence, like the fey

The only way I can see planet sized space monsters working as characters is if the universe somehow runs on shmup rules and a regular character could fight them by flying around in a tiny spaceship and shooting their cores or something like that.

underrated post

>>The Great Spire.
>It's the Tower of Babel
>populated entirely by giants

If the feywild exists those totally should too.
Alternatively, do away with alternate planes and make it lost regions like

Sounds like a great epic-level campaign.
>Clear a floor every session.
>There's like 50 floors.

Are they knock-off versions of other pantheons? Find a Giant that looks like Shiva and you have to stop from knocking down the tower while you're in it?

That's the boss battle when you reach the roof.
From behind the horizon, knees below the clouds, the engine of destruction approaches the building, as big as the tower itself.
It proceeds to destroy the building, causing the party to swing heavily back and forth on a shaking ground.
They must use all the power they have left to destroy this literal walking mountain.

They do, it's just everything over 8'.

Their own "plane of existence" is just the top shelf that the little people have problems getting to.

I think something more like a Land of Giants continent that's away from the main campaign land.

What's the relation between Giants and Titans?

They're both football teams.

I mean mythologically

Titans are specifically the gods of the olympians - basically dieties but often of a more primal nature, gods of the earth, the sky, the depths etc... rather than wisdom, hunting, the hearth etc...

They are often taken to be bigger than normal people (and even the olympians) because the theory of "ages" held by plato and some other greek philosophers put it that each previous age was purer and better and also bigger, so people of the golden age were fuck huge, people of the silver age quite large, people of the iron age (which was the "current" age for plato) were normal sized.

So to the titans, in preceding the olympians, would have presumably been bigger than the olympians.

Seems like that would make a cool campaign. Exploring the Old World as the tiny, mouse sized people of the New One.