Veeky Forums whats with the allure of beast races? I despise furries and scalies of all kinds...

Veeky Forums whats with the allure of beast races? I despise furries and scalies of all kinds, but I always seem to fibd myself gravitating towards beast races when I make a character.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PhiSgXz_l20
youtu.be/DKgVR2ZdVgg
youtu.be/k7ZcvDHX44o
youtu.be/J52elJRuPPI
youtu.be/mobtxEJHhY4
youtu.be/aaSdnHVXxqE
furaffinity.net/view/21826667/
furaffinity.net/view/22517878/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cool different aesthetics, tend to be good for barbarian / fighter / shaman characters

The combination of humanoid and animal characteristics is one of the oldest motifs in art. "Furry" characters are a specific stylization of anthropomorphic animals.

Furries and scalies are sexual, while beast races are for being badass.

>Beast race potential
Tails that can act as 3rd arms, horns and claws, roleplaying something that's senses are different from humanoids, different culture, etc...

>Furry/Scalie potential

Fetishes, sex, gay coloration, and too many genitals.

Basically, beast races = cool experience as something not as human, but human enough to be enjoyable to play. Furries/Scalies = In it for orgasms, fuck all seriousness the GM has tried to instill, pander to my fetish.

>beast races are the equivalent of a degenerate fetish

This is your problem.
You like beast races because beast races are cool, you dislike furries because they are fags.

There is no contradiction there, Stop thinking in memes and like what you like.

>"Furry" characters are a specific stylization of anthropomorphic animals.
Sadly, that definition doesn't cut it anymore, especially since you can have highly stylized, cartoonish anthropomorphic animal characters and still have the game grounded (or rather, not devolve into magical realm).

It's entirely based on the group of players, not the characters or the art. "Furry" has sadly just become a codeword for "anything with animal features I don't like, sans moeblob animu monstergirl stuff which I hold exception for."

>that PDF
This is really neat but I don't think I'd ever play it.

lizardmen are extremely colorful and as a result fun to paint. as for in rpgs idk lizards are pretty filthy and disgusting animals in real life.

Usually just aesthetic, although personally I think beast races aren't used enough to play with extremely different mindsets/philosophies, and physiology. You'll rarely see people play straight up coldblooded lizards who have to worry about the temperature, or who don't understand certain cultural taboos of other races.

This. Their reputation ruined some really kickass shit.

The sins of the few can destroy the greatness of the many.

I just want to listen to my songs about werewolves crusading in the name of Christ without it being called "Furry music" damn it.

Furries and scalies are people who throw their stupid obsession on characters

Lion-people and lizard-people are fucking badasses who will rip your face off.

The problem is when OTHERS do this association for you.

I mean, a misunderstanding where a furryshit believes I'm like him because I play a cat-man is not gonna ruin my day, but I'll rather avoid it if I can.

What's that race called in the pic? Looks pretty cool

I really enjoy 5e's VGM take on lizardfolk: emotionally detached utilitarians who focus more on the day to day as opposed to the far future.

I also like the whole intelligent swamp predator thing too.

Say what now son?

Powerwolf.
Rad metal band, you should check em out

> youtu.be/PhiSgXz_l20
> youtu.be/DKgVR2ZdVgg
> youtu.be/k7ZcvDHX44o
> youtu.be/J52elJRuPPI
> youtu.be/mobtxEJHhY4
> youtu.be/aaSdnHVXxqE

The band's name is Powerwolf. They have a hard on for two things. Jesus and shapeshifting engines of murder and destruction.

Ahhhh, thanks mate. Here I'll give you a metal album suggestion that you may or may not of heard off. Galaktikon by Brendon Small. Fun album.

I always play lizard men or bug men.

I think it's a Warhammer lizardman.

It kind of makes me want to make a monster that combines "stereotypical" features of dinosaurs.

Like what you like, don't be a dick unless the other person is one first. Don't worry about what other people think.

I played a dragonman a long time ago (what 3.x would later call a half dragon) because the claw, claw, bite attack scheme that was house ruled fun as hell.

Because standard characters are overused and boring. Fuck tolkien. I want to make a warforged ur-priest who powers himself on the divine.

>Veeky Forums whats with the allure of beast races?

As a willing-forever-DM kind of guy I have a strict tendency to not just use intelligent races willy-nilly as the target of a kill quest, for cannon fodder, and instead save them for the 'really' important combat situations.
I'm a monster-hunter DM first and foremost and I want my PC's hunting monsters.
It makes intelligent races all the more intimidating and encounters with them more impactful.

Except Animal People.
Animal People are the bridge, they're that uncomfortable in-between.
They're the wild card that can pop up in the worst situations; especially the ones capable of convincingly mimicking regular animals.

That's at least why I like throwing them in there.

I hated it, but I've learned to not give a fuck, mind you is noire like a theme with me, where if the option exists to play as bad ass beast man barbarian I take it but other wise I don't go shoving it on people or getting weird with it

You're a furry in denial if I've ever heard of one.

Don't worry about the faggot memes, just embrace what you like.

Because sometimes you just want to be an asian themed shark man who rides his raptor mount around the world, sharing his people's myths and legends.

I still don't understand why people differentiate between the "beast races" and "furries/scalies".
They are the same thing. Yeah, a lot of people who play furries/beast-races/anthros/whatevers are pretty annoying, many, if not most, are just like other players with a like for the aesthetic of animal people.

As long as it doesn't get magical realm, I don't see the problem of "furry" characters or NPCs or what have you. And to be fair, there are just as many people with Orc/Goblin/Slime fetishes as there are with furry fetishes.

Also, to answer your question, we see humans everyday, it's not odd to want to play somthing other than one/a short one/a green one/one with pointed ears. Also they look pretty neat. And claws and teeth make for pretty cool weapons. And other things make people want to play them, I suppose.

>I still don't understand why people differentiate between the "beast races" and "furries/scalies".
>They are the same thing.

Saurus from WFB = beast race

Anthro lizard, that dispate being supposedly reptile still somehow has mammaries and other mammal/human features = scalie/furryshit

They are NOT the same and you now it furryfaggot.

>lizards are pretty filthy and disgusting animals in real life.

Get a load of this hamster-hoarder

Human features, like walking upright, thumbs, clothing, more humanoid facial structure. They're anthro lizards, fur/scale/feather shit is all about antro animals. There's scalies who don't want tits on a lizard and would be into a more cleaned up version of your pic. No need to throw a fit because you and some degenerates think similar stuff looks cool.

>No need to throw a fit because you and some degenerates think similar stuff looks cool.

Who are you replying to?

Are cute anime foxboys and foxgirls okay?

Because you already play a human character in real life all the time

I really like boar folk.
It is so rare to see good art of them.

They are cool? They only turn to shit when people fetishise them, Warhammer lizardmen were cool as hell. Beastmen in most settings are either run of the mill average or interestingly cool. Only furries etc actually ruin them

>>>/pfg/

>Anthro lizard, that dispate being supposedly reptile still somehow has mammaries and other mammal/human features = scalie/furryshit

>They are NOT the same and you now it furryfaggot.

I'm sorry but how new are you?

Do you actually think furries don't draw lizards without tits all the fucking time?

Like, do you actually think that furries don't find Sauruses completely on-model like your picture attractive? Because I found pic related on furaffinity after 0.5 seconds of searching.

>furries don't like warhammer lizards
WHERE DO YOU THINK ALL THE "THEY FUCK OUR WOMEN" SHIT IS COMING FROM

Because humans get boring after a while

source?

racial bonuses?

Source?

furaffinity.net/view/21826667/

Here's some shitposting material for you

warforged were better when they were made with alchemy

where is this Uncensored

Were they ever? All I ever heard of warforged was that they were built in huge-ass machines called Creation Forges, which normally just built golems.

And that's in Ebberon. Most games don't tend to take place in any specific setting, but usually a custom setting where, say, Creation Forges don't exist unless a player wants to be a Warforged.

Nice digits. The pic is by "doomsatan666". I has an account on hentaifoundry.

Can't find it

It's linked right there you fuck

Great the thread has been infected...

It lasted a whole day at least.

Lizardmen are immune to disease, luckily.

Lizardmen are asexual.

In age of sigmar, it depends on how the Slann remember them :^)

s-source?

My beef with toon is that it's just GURPS Ultra-lite with cartoon rules implemented. It really doesn't feel like the seamless cartoon rpg that I want.

For fuck's sake for a thread about furries in denial you guys sure need to be spoonfed

The most exciting part of a fetish is often the denial of its nature, to fold it in shame a thousand times and to feel it thrust upon you by another.

Veeky Forums is no stranger to this.

Alright, but I'm actually not fond of many of this guy's stuff, due to retarded multidick

furaffinity.net/view/22517878/

THEY FUCK OUR WOMEN

Honestly, I think D&D just tends to come up with more interesting fluff for its beastfolk races given the chance, whilst many of its more conventional humanoids can be bland or outright bad.

I mean, there's stinkers in terms of beastfolk fluff too, like the "chameleon-men" from Mystara, who are essentially a race of not!Aussie Aborigines with color-changing skin who are all male and reproduce by dreaming each other into existence, but it rarely gets to quite the same level of bullshit as kender, gully dwarves, and Krynnish gnomes.

I mean, yeah, it's gonzo, but what's not to love about a swashbuckling wolf-man Paladin with a tricorne hat perched jauntily on his head, a wineskin at his belt, and a faux-French accent on his lips? Or a samurai catwoman from the moon come to battle evil and redeem her stained honor?

>what's not to love about a swashbuckling wolf-man Paladin with a tricorne hat perched jauntily on his head, a wineskin at his belt, and a faux-French accent on his lips?
My Mystara lovin brotha!

I so want to update the Playing Lupins from Dragon to 5e. I've got subraces built right in with the Tribal, Nomad and Renardie Lupin, I just can't figure out any decent abilities to give them...

I don't even know or care if I can use them in my post-apocalyptic fantasy setting, I just like the Renardie Lupins that much.

Why are pirate themed beastmen almost always automatically awesome?

Hm...

Because, much as Veeky Forums likes to shit on people admitting to having sufficient xenophilia, beastfolk are awesome, primal and often kind of sexy in a rough, feral way, whilst pirates are awesome, primal and also often kind of sexy in a rough, feral way.

Basically they're two similar themes that strengthen each other, when you don't try and make them comedic like the Hadozee.

What he said

Why did you post the guy that I had tiff with?

I find the combination hilarious and that automatically makes me inclined to give something the benefit of the doubt and enjoy it.

I really like that concept, I also see potential for scenarios where they're just a little smarter than the players have come to expect.

Wish I could help, but I don't play 5e. I've been torn on how to implement them in my PF setting though, so we got that in common.

Pirates are awesome, beastfolk are awesome, pirate beastfolk are super awesome.

PF's not that different to 3.5, so you can probably pull them across with fairly limited changes. You have access to Dragon Magazine #325?

Yeah, its more like where to place them and interaction with other races. And the mechanical problems are more like, I need to come up with a fuckton of little fiddly bits for the class bonuses, race specific archetypes, feats, and some other things. PF can be surprisingly complicated to make things for if you want to really incorporate a race as a core race for a setting.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that sort of fiddliness is why I prefer 4th and 5th edition D&D in terms of crunch. PF does have some more interesting lore compared to 5e, though 4e lore still tops it out for me.

It's more the way they're drawn, I think. Psuedorealistic vs. cartoony stuff you see most often in the furry fandom.

Be fair, it happens the other way around a lot too, with people going all "yiff in hell furfag" just because you rolled up a kobold or kenku or whatever.