How much would a Ghostbusters team charge to remove a ghost?

How much would a Ghostbusters team charge to remove a ghost?

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2017/march/trump-clinton-debates-gender-reversal.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It wasn't voiced in the movie?

$4000 for entrapment
$1000 for proton charging and storage

That was a special offer though.

"No job is to big, no fee is to big."

Or at least the proton charging and ghost storage was on special offer.

Should I adjust for inflation?

the 80s was awhile ago

Probably, proton packs can't be cheap.

-Minor manifestations (like tiny fae and harmless poltergeist) : 100 $
-Medium manifestations (ghost, wraiths, specters, aggressive poltergeist, haunts, demons, devils...) :1000 to 5000 $
Major manifestations (Fae nobility, historical figure ghosts, zombies, ghouls, mythic monsters...) : 120000 to 500000 $
Alpha manifestations (Demon Lords, archangels, demigods, gods, Great Old Ones...) : 1000000 $

bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
5k in 1984 adjusted to 2017

>$11,722.95

damn

Is this from the WEG book?

I can look and see if it has prices if not

I think if an alpha manifests you have bigger problems than money

Well Gozer would be an Alpha manifestation and they ended up beeing sued for that.

It should be noted that Venkman was following Egon's lead in quoting that price, with the latter signaling how much to charge their rich asshole customer via finger signals.

Which suggests that rich dicks get charged more than your average Joe, most likely.

>Rule 63 Ghostbusters cosplay
Noice

No. That was from an old WEG campaign since the prices weren't specified.
It is based on what is seen in both movies and both cartoon series plus 80s greed.

Yes, that is also an important factor. That was however the only time I could remember them accually naming a price.

>bigger problems than money

"Money, my boy, makes the world go round. No goods are too expensive to be measured in money. No service is too valuable to be paid for. And if I'm being requested a service that I now only I can do adequately, you better damn well believe I'm going to ask for compensation, my boy."

Homebrew we did play*

That's true. I just wanted to point something out that a lot of people miss.

Only a million to stop the world from ending? I would bump that shit to hundred millions. In fact, all of these prices can be bumped up an extra zero. 100$ for dealing with things that no one else has the equipment for? Better quintuple the price just because you have a monopoly on it. Now if there were other hunters then it's a different story.

Well I would expect there to be exorcists if there are accual ghosts.

Whatever the market will bear.

Martin Shkreli, please.

Keep in mind those are prices per pest captured in a campaign were there are franchises all over the world.
The minor manifestations price is only 100$ because that would be the most common denominator of blue collar interaction with the supernatural.
Medium manifestations are most likely to happen in middle to upper class environments.

>Well I would expect there to be exorcists if there are accual ghosts.
Faith doesn't work against the supernatural.

Only science.

Methodology works the same, regardless whether you know the principles behind it.

I'm just saying, the priest better bring an atomic battery if he wants that crucifix to do any good.

>nuclear powered crucifixes

Imagine if an exorcism involved branding with a hot silver crucifix; that would've gone out with witch burning, meaning exorcisms wouldn't work anymore. They had a ghost problem, and as far as the audience was shown only the Ghostbusters' technology could deal with it.

>Other hunters

In the old cartoon the Ghostbusters discovered that Eiffel was a precursor so competent he created the biggest ghost trap and container in the world.

How much would they charge to remove this?

They bust ghosts, not goblins.

Is that Harambe?

>Only a million to stop the world from ending?
You want to be somewhat reasonable with your end of the world prices or this might happen:
>Gozer would be an Alpha manifestation and they ended up beeing sued for that.

About tree fity

Racist
I keked anyway

They can always return the ghost if the customer has any issues with the fees.

They were also literally broke just an hour or two earlier after buying Chinese dinner. They had to make bank fast with this first field customer. I would think that Egon, being the bean counter and showing little to no ethical failings besides wielding unlicensed, untested nuclear accelerators, was being reasonably accurate though.

> Fallout idea brewing

I didn't know they remade Monkey Ghostbusters.

GO AWAY LOCHNESS MONSTER, YOU AIN'T GETTING NO THREE FIDDY!

Take care of it or there isn't money anymore and your species becomes pre-industrial edible slave labor. If any civilization understands the gravity of your trapping it and believes you'd release it if not paid enough, you're likely to be executed.

>a zombie costs more than a ghost
What? It's a lot harder to remove a ghsot from a place than to remove a zombie from a place.

Why go to them if a priest or equivalent can get the job more or less done for free, with less collateral damage?

It's never just one zombie, and they have to contract out the cleaning service for after they put down the zombies. Sure, they can charge you less, but that means you are cleaning up rotting flesh all by yourself, and besides, the guys they use are pros, you wouldn't know there was an undead Locus swarm building up in your basement had they not tried to eat your flesh after these guys are done.

It was literally their first job and Venkman is the least involved in the actual science behind catching ghosts, he has no idea what it actually costs so he was following Egon's lead.

danke

This is the future user. Stop living in the past and get progressive. Women aren't held down by men any more, they can be better ghostbusters then those old farts in the OP and put another nail in the coffin of the Patriarchy.

>Ghostbusters (1984)
>Budget: $30,000,000 (estimated)
>Box Office: $238,632,124 (USA)

vs.

>Ghostbusters (2016)
>Budget: $144,000,000 (estimated)
>Box Office: $128,344,089 (USA)

That's only because all the men refused to give up their privilege and show that girls can do it better than boys.

The female Ghostbusters are the future. The male ones are the legacy of a brutish and dim past best forgotten.

>Progressive Virtue Signalling: The Movie lost money
>it's the audience's fault for being insufficiently virtuous
Okay, sport.

If you want to adjust for '84 inflation, just multiply it by 2.3 (2.309 to be precise)

And since it wouldn't work that way, they would instead charge 2500 for proton charging and 10000 for entrapment

So then going by 's numbers, Ghostbusters (1984) cost half as much to make and made more than four times as much at the box than Ghostbusters (2016).

Women really are hilarious.

Their price probably kept going up the busier they got, especially with all those "free repeaters".

People like you are the reason Donald Trump became president.

In my defense, I voted for Egg McMuffin.

The cartoon series actually show them using magic or magical artifacts from time to time. Hell, Egon has magical ancestry according to one episode. But yeah, the Proton Packs are probably a better way of catching ghosts, without too large a risk of disaster if you fuck it up, ( looking at you Ghost Smashers).

>BIG MEANY TRUMP BECAME PRESIDENTZ BECUZ OF YOU!

Not an argument.

But it's true. Sexism is what ultimately got Trump into the white house. While Males refused to give up power and Trump is the last throw of their dice. After Trump the power of white men will be forever discredited. And it all started because of Ghostbusters and the male backlash against it.

No, actually the toxicity of the left during the last election cycle kept many independents from voting for Madame President

It's funny that you believe that.

nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2017/march/trump-clinton-debates-gender-reversal.html

think about how much rent is for a warehouse, probably like 40 grand

think about how many ghosts need catching

10 a month?
8 thousand beans, gotta make a profit

yeah those prices sound about right, at least for the 80's

also anyone else watching The Real Ghostbusters now that it's on Netflix?

There is only one Ghostbusters, and that is Filmation's Ghostbusters. Little Care for "The Real Ghostbusters"; Jake, Eddie and Tracy WERE THE ORIGINAL REAL GHOSTBUSTERS

XGB is on Hulu too

People don't hate the movie because they're sexist.They hate it because it fucking sucked.

During the Gozer incursion, pre-containment unit release? They were definitely dealing with more than that. We have no idea what the normal level of ghost activity is when there isn't a surge in the PKE levels from some greater being empowering them but it isn't certain that their business model would hold. Sure people die all the time, but how many rise back up without mooching off of things like Gozer or mood slime?

Ultimately, based on Ghostbusters 2, their business seems to have imploded under the weight of lawsuits against them.

The Real Ghostbusters isn't bad. Ghosts in spaaaace, Ghostbusters versus Citizen Kane. The goddamn boogeyman. But that may be nostalgia goggles since I grew up with stuff like this on Saturday mornings.

Fuck you Boogeyman, you absolutely destroyed my childhood

I had nightmare about you for YEARS after seeing that episode ONCE.

I personally don't think it was near as bad as all the bitching about it, but it ultimately fell pretty damn flat. The original Ghostbusters was kind of a rags to riches story and them dealing with sudden outbreak of fame even while the job became a grind until big G showed up and stepped on a church. The new one was just kind of a bunch of bumblefucks stumbling around and supposedly being funny. Not to mention the original GBs had to wreck the shit of a Sumerian god and later a dark wizard. The new ones had to fuck with some poor autistic fucker with Aleister Crowley's little black book of the damned. Not exactly "epic." The worst sin, I think, breaking with the "rules" of ghostbusting. There weren't many but yes Ghostbusters had established rules on how you catch ghosts. You couldn't kill them, after all, they were already dead. But the new one you could apparently pew pew shoot them and grenade them or whip them and they sort of somehow collapsed. Hell, they way they dealt with ghosts made it more like a Frighteners reboot than Ghostbusters. The new one didn't seem to have any rules, it just did whatever the fuck it wanted.

So yeah, plot and villain were weak as shit. Still it apparently went through so many rewrites they're probably lucky it actually was as coherent as it was, which isn't saying much.

He was pretty disturbing when I was a kid but never traumatized me. I think because I kept trying to figure out why Egon had a twin who was some kind of elf/goblin man.

How did the old video game handle it? I remember having to drive around in goddamn herbie the love bug with a ghost sucking vacuum stuck on the hood.

>During the Gozer incursion, pre-containment unit release? They were definitely dealing with more than that. We have no idea what the normal level of ghost activity is when there isn't a surge in the PKE levels from some greater being empowering them but it isn't certain that their business model would hold. Sure people die all the time, but how many rise back up without mooching off of things like Gozer or mood slime?
>Ultimately, based on Ghostbusters 2, their business seems to have imploded under the weight of lawsuits against them.
of course this only applies to the Movie continuity, and only the Movie continuity by itself, things are overall more prosperous in both the RGB/XGB timeline, and the Videogame/IDW Comics continuity

that kinda depends on whether your only accounting for Ghostbusters 1 & 2, or also taking into account RGB/XGB and/or the Videogame/IDW Comics universes, cause while it's overall easier to just capture ghosts, there are ways to more violently disrupt them

The animated series presuppose that Gozer's attempted crossover into our dimension caused a permanent baseline increase in the amount of ambient psychokinetic energy necessary for lesser entities to manifest, resulting in a steady stream of business because supernatural activity never dropped back down to pre-Gozer levels.

The movies don't address it directly, but they make it clear that something big has to be going on for lesser spirits to be empowered; which is why the Ghostbusters only had any work in the immediate prelude to end-of-the-world type events as the coming of Gozer or rebirth of Vigo.

I think you'd need that kind of surge, really. Yes there are always a certain level of spiritual activity, Slimer after all was known to the hotel staff, though as the one guy pointed out he was never quite this active.

I imagine without some kind of energy exciting them, causing manifestations and amping up their activity, the number of pesky ghosts in populated areas is probably fairly low and you'd clear them out pretty quite. Of course there would be plenty of ghosts in abandoned shit, I'm sure, but who is going to pay to clean up abandoned sites unless some developers want it cleared or you get a standing contract with the city?

I think a standing contract is what they did in the 2009 game. They definitely had insurance for the damage they caused.

It was a pretty fun game, all things considered, and sadly the last time you can hear all the original Ghostbusters (plus Janine! But no Dark Helmet!) and also Bill's brother as the mayor. They even had Peck.

The rules weren't really all that different to the movie, in fact I'd say they weren't different, just added to a bit. They expanded the types of entities since they weren't all ghosts. There were extradimensional critters, animated objects, even mood slime based entities. If memory serves you could weaken or destroy with just about every weapon but different every type of enemy had different weaknesses. Trapping rules were the same. The biggest change for gameplay reasons was slamming ghosts around with your proton stream to weaken them to make them easier to capture.

Had a much better story than the 2016 movie, too, and more interesting enemies. God that serial killer ghost lady turned literal black widow. I think the rules, gadgets, etc, would make for a great tabletop adaptation.

Trump got into power because Hillary was a steaming turd (nearly as big as Trump) and demos were lazy. They thought it was a sure win. No need to show up at the polls its in the bag. Except, polls started showing her losing numbers in the last few weeks. She lost by like 1k votes in PA and a few other places were really close. Why? Because of three scandals in a row in the last two weeks, Obamacare price hikes, and party fatigue. Not to mention her failure to ever deal with the DNC fixing scandal.

It always was a who I shouldn't vote for race. The country is still around 50/50 for conserve/liberal. Hillary was always a shit option for conservatives who had enough of the liberal agenda for 8 years. Dems thought they could never lose. And then they paid for it.

That game was fucking great. Game play made you feel like a ghostbuster. It was pretty funny as well.

Now, here's a question: how's that they never got some direct competition from the government?

I mean, the entire city know for sure that ghosts and other supernatural beings exists, and they can wreck shit in a concrete and direct way, like blowing buildings and so on.

So, why the government haven't seized their equipment to reverse engineering it, and keep Egon as some sort of scientific consultant at the pentagon, or the area 51, or whatever they have secret bases?

Fuck, I'm starting to imagine a bunch of scientist working on some sort of ghost bomb. Capture a bunch of angry ghosts, seal them into a trap, throw the trap into whatever shithole you want to wreck and enjoy the fireworks.

See that would be a creative idea for a ghostbusters sequel, or even a reboot. Like why not have the all female team be a new division or something? But this is Hollywood and the shit must flow, so we got the film we got.

wow usually i have to read a fucking reddit thread for this level of shitty political discourse

Wasn't the entire point of the first movie being recognized as a public service that would be given government money?

I'd imagine they're salaried, with benefits.

45k/year, minimum.

please stop playing with yourself in public

>Budget: 30,000,000 (1984 USD)
>Box Office: $238,632,124 USA (1984 USD)

Brought forward to 2017 and corrected for inflation:
Budget: $70,337,728.59 (2017 USD)
Box Office: $559,494,718.99 USA

vs.

Budget: $144,000,000
Box Office: $128,344,089 USA

I don't think anyone has their dick out for that.

well in the comics at least, the Ghostbusters end up getting government oversight(and in NYC at least are contracted to the city government), with Walter Peck of all people as their government liaison(he's still not a big fan of the Ghostbusters as people but by the time of the comics has come to realize that they are needed)

It is pretty much Ghostbusters 3, isn't it.

>Have you found Venkmann?
>shrug
>Did you look?
>shrug

It's the closest we'll ever get now, at least with the four originals.

I'd love to see the dialogue from the game set to traditional animation.

There's Let's Plays on youtube without the 'host' chittering like a retarded monkey. Not many, but they exist.

Man and considering how A-list the original cast was to begin with, these numbers are freaking hilarious

Unless they go international there won't be much market for professional ghostbusters, specially if they make that kind of collateral damage.
Combine that with the fact that only a tiny part of hauntings involve actual apparitions and you'll instantly get a business in red numbers.

Having a monopoly on the technology and expertise: whatever they want.

Ghostbusters 10 years later: the team's become shiftless and corrupt, charging millions for each call because no one else can hope to compete.

both of you are thinking from too much of a "Realistic" perspective instead of one that'd make for a good story and/or game

I find the opposite is true, that normal people got tired of dangerhair genderspecial queers constantly screaming at them for micro aggressions and shit.

Well, with the improvements in technology, perhaps the tech's gotten more affordable, but I imagine the service is still pricey.

But:
>Not setting your ghostbusters game in the 80's or early 90's at most

Also, this should go in CYOA but this thread is more important right now.

>Women really are hilarious.
Came in here to find some residual asshurt over the remake, leaving satisifed

>no hears option
dropped