When did you realize that D&D is actually a terrible system only held up by its massive popularity?

When did you realize that D&D is actually a terrible system only held up by its massive popularity?

For me, it was when I played a d6 game with Lifepaths. D&D could never hope to achieve the fun and uniqueness of what both of those bring to the table.

Still making these troll threads? I thought you were done when you were BTFO the last ten times you spammed them.

At least you're using a different image.
Also, can you tell us what game you play? I'd love to hear what game you think isn't a terrible system so people can shit on your tastes.

Also, it would help us know what game you're ultimately hoping to try to shill for.

I'm actually not some samefag, this is the first time I've posted a thread about this
Since it's funny though, I'm gonna say that I'm shilling for GURPS

Mostly through two factors:
>playing nwn/nwn2 online on RP persistent words
>playing other pnp games than d&d

first one was basically a INTENSIVE course with all the shit D&D can produce. While nwn/nwn2 donn't portray all of the D&D mechanics it has enough of it, along with fuckton faggots do insisting on porting them in dice rolling non-engine forms and generally playing it RAW.
And it was "intensive" course because, contrary to playing one game a week with four or five people, you could just log there everyday and meet all sorts of players. Every single thing that could be wrong with D&D was quckly exposed to me.

Meanwhile I was playing pnp and reading even more games that I was playing and I realized that it is entirely possible to make things SO DIFFERENT from D&D - in awesome ways - that I didn't even imagine before.

Then I looked back at my PnP experience with D&D prior to nwn stuff and in hindsight couldn't evaluate it as shit and waste of time compared to what I can have with better games.

>spam thread.
>spam answer.

Come on man, you could at least do something besides imitate Virt. The fact that you do makes you even more sad than him, which is saying something.

GURPS? GURPS

>it's another "I hate D&D, and so should everyone else" thread

dnd sucks get over it already

But I have a lot of fun playing D&D and Pathfinder with my group, though. We've played other games, but D&D is what we're most comfortable with, and we feel like the system has a lot of wiggle room.

Hmm... It's almost as if the D20 system is perfectly fine if you're not a special snowflake, an autistic, or a little faggot.

I agreed with you until you said everyone who didn't like D&D was a special snowflake, autist or faggot.

Probably the moment I realized there are games that aren't D&D. Like I probably wouldn't have gotten into PnP games at all if it weren't for D&D and I have some fond memories playing it but after I found out that there is more out there than d20 based fantasy games I can't imagine ever going back to D&D for any reason other than nostalgia or the event that I can't talk a group of new players into trying something else.

It's still perfectly fine even if you don't like it.
Unless you're a faggot.

It's fine not to like D&D, just don't dedicate whole threads to "I HATE D&D AND SO SHOULD YOU! REEEEEEEEEE!!!!1!!ONE"

This is a bait thread but it honestly sounds like you're too touchy about people criticizing D&D

I mean, the reasons why D&D can be argued to be "perfectly fine" despite its flaws can be applied to literally every system in existence

Funny how the pro-skubbers talk about how autistic the anti-skubbers are, while being massively autistic while doing it

Seriously, this thread is only for people who don't like D&D. You're the shitposters at this point, go back to your containment generals please.

Exactly. The second they have their "perfect" system criticized, they go all out on screaming why you're wrong for having a differing opinion. It literally never fails.

This. I see D&D as Babby's First RPG, and it does that really well. 5e, that is. Aside from that, it really fails at a lot of other things. Constantly having a 5% chance of completely failing is such a massive flaw that I'm surprised that nobody at WotC has ever thought about maybe making a d6 version

>I see D&D as Babby's First RPG
I don't even think it's all that good at being that, it's just the only PnP game most people have heard of so it's seen as "less intimidating" by a lot of newer people. I usually use something really simple like Everyone is John when I'm running something for people who've never played a PnP game before and even then I've had people lean more toward wanting to go through all the bullshit of learning the ropes of D&D reasoning that it seems "easier" despite EiJ's rules being a single page long. Brand recognition is powerful dude.

>5% chance of completely failing
Only for attack rolls. People who use critical failures and critical successes for anything other than flavor on skill and saving throws are playing with a houserule.
That said I'd love for OpenD6 to get a resurgence. I mean there was going to be an update to Mini Six but the author's health issues have delayed that...

it's not. You might not like it, but that doesn't mean every edition of D&D is objectively terrible. They each do something different, check them out, there's probably something you'll like.

1e/2e AD&D: low power fantasy with heavier stakes
3.0/35: relatively high power fantasy, some weird decisions that make it really weird, comparatively safe
4e: ??? I've never understood what this brings to the table. Balance, I guess?
5e: as near as I can tell, a return to 2e aesthetics while maintaining the relative safety 3.0/3.5 imparted.

No, I'm fairly certain that every version has something that I'll hate in it.

>D20
>Massive skill list where only 5 of them are actually worth anything
>Classes

Even as the game has increasingly moved away from it, the dungeon crawl feedback loop is a perfect meta progression loop so you always have something to do in a given session,

>relatively high power fantasy, some weird decisions that make it really weird, comparatively safe

What did he mean by this?

Could we not? These anti-D&D trolls are so awful, they're not even trying anymore.

It's just system wars, except every day they wake up to the horrible truth that the game they hate with such a fervent passion is nowhere nearly as bad as they'd like it to be, so they need to exaggerate and reveal how little they actually understand the system.

We should pity these poor fools, because they are hatred and ignorance incarnate, but they don't even want that pity.
They just want to be treated like annoying vermin.

Cast them out, I say. Let them cry over how D&D wronged them, but for your own sake don't try to engage in their little charade of half-truths and misinterpretations.

I'll admit, I just lurk these threads and try to get a discussion about alternative systems going to shift away from the rampant D&D bitching, but it usually just results in more shitposting so I might as well give up.

>not looking at the other editions before judging them

Also just because your tastes are ridiculously narrow don't mean it's bad. It might just mean you're autistic.

which part don't you understand? It's higher power than second edition, some of the decisions are mad as fuck(putting magical work into creating a magical artefact... makes you worse at magic), and death is less prominent, largely due to some early fuck ups on the design level that kind of ruined dungeon design.

>Having specific tastes means I'm autistic
Wew laddy
Produce a D&D version that's as good as Mongoose Traveller and then come talk to me

>4e: ??? I've never understood what this brings to the table. Balance, I guess?

4e basically takes a D&D flavored MMORPG and then takes away the first M and the O, what with minions, same number of abilities for every class, and the Warlord.

You could see it as a cash grab that crashed and burned or it's own way to play D&D. I haven't played or researched enough to know if it got rid of the Linear Warriors Quadratic Wizards thing, but I think it made an attempt. Ultimately though people don't want their fighters to have a million different abilities.

DND is supposed to be babys first rpg. I'm DMing for the first time ever in, like, three weeks, and I'm doing DND. Why? Everyone is familiar with it, we all know what to expect. It's not the best system, but it's simple and well-known.

>this thread again

You got rid of quests for this. It's what you wanted.

Jojofags are even worse though.