Stat in CP2020. Can it be done without losing all humanity?

Stat in CP2020. Can it be done without losing all humanity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lNY53tZ2geg
mediafire.com/?kcmk3dhqmw2jr0e
youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The only thing that's not cybernetic is her ghost in the shell. And even then, that's debatable.

You tell me if she'd have any humanity left?

No

But isn't the point of the franchise that humanity and life is more than flesh and blood?

youtube.com/watch?v=lNY53tZ2geg

I wouldn't know, but if CP2020 is anything like Shadowrun, then I'd imagine "Humanity" is similar to "Essense" in that it measures how much of you is still meat you in relation to how much of you is metal you.

That's the issue here. One of the most important questions for transhuman cyberpunk to answer is: what makes humanity human? Shadowrun takes the down-to-Earth perspective that the more meat you replace with metal, the less human you are, and humanity/nature/magic is inherently incompatible with technology, while GitS take the more spiritual side, saying that there's something a bit more to humans. I imagine it's like trying use Dracula's rules for killing vampires in a V:TM game. The fictions are at odds with each other.

Although, all that said, I don't know about CP2020 either, so I can't help OP.

I'd actually say the spiritual and the down to earth attributions you have are switched.

Why? It sounds to me like if you downloaded your brain onto a computer, then trashed your meat body, you'd be technically dead without a soul.

I suppose in that case it's just a matter of stream of consciousness, because I agree with you. Assuming just because your body isn't your fleshy meat body you'll be a different person seems a lot more spiritual than just thinking of yourself as a program running on a computer though.

She's a Gemini full body replacement out of Chromebook 2, page 76. With combat options after the fact.

Couldn't upload the pdf here, so here's a link for said pdf.

mediafire.com/?kcmk3dhqmw2jr0e

Really? Seems to me that thinking you'll be the same person assumes there would be some continuity between the two - whether a soul or something else entirely. Seems to me that if you believe only in the physical, the robot you is really just a copy that acts like you, and the real you is dead.

Fair point. I do remember a character in Shadowrun: Dragonfall who got the oldest, bulkiest pieces of chrome she could in order to shred her essence so she could try to hide from a malevolent spirit that had attached itself to her.

The character's name was Glory, and it wasn't a malevolent spirit she was hiding from, it was literally Satan, the Adversary. She had drawn his attention, somehow, and was trying to shred her essence so he had less of a hold over her. Given how series the Adversary is in Shadowrun, she made the right choice.

Also, there's a further complication to the matter of essence in Shadowrun that was raised in Shadowrun: Hong Kong by your rigger in that game, Racter. He was technically 50% cybered, more than was supposed to be possible and still be alive, which raises some questions about how cybering and essence really work.

With vanilla Cyberpunk 2020 no. Cyberpunk 2020 is heavily inspired by A.D. Police. The more cyberware you get grafted, the less human you become, culminating in cyber-psychosis.

In some older thread I posted the idea that instead of losing humanity, you could have to pay for anti-rejection treatment. The weekly cost of such a treatment could be something like HLx10eb, plus an annual check up that could cost 100eb per system (systems: neuralware, cyberoptics, cyberaudio, cyberarms, cyberlegs, implants, cyberweapons, linear frame). Of course you could make a chart where the first 5 points are free, or say that fashionware doesn't count, up to you. It's all a concept and I never used it.

Get some fashionware (light tattoos, shift-tacts, biomonitor and a contraceptive implant) and the cost remains pretty low (about 25eb per week). Get some serious cyberware (neural processor, interface plugs, kerenzikov II, pain editor, cyberoptics, low-light, anti-dazzle, timesquare marquee, cyberaudio, level editor, subdermal armor, cyberarm, cyberhand, wolfers) and cost will be about 400 bucks per week, plus 500 bucks annually for the check up - quite a sum considering that most corporate employees make 600eb per month. Being a Gemini-class cyborg with a few options would cost about 800eb per week plus a 1000eb annual check up. Needles to say that without corporate sponsorship, it becomes very difficult to finance this.

Failing to get your treatment in time stops the body's natural healing process (wounds cannot be healed) and causes cumulative damage of 1d6 per week. Failing to make your check up means that your cyberware will start to bug (cyberoptic shuts down randomly, linear frame gets blocked in a certain position, cyberarm starts shaking uncontrollably...).

I find that this system suits a Deux Ex: Human Revolution-style campaign better than classic humanity loss, as cyberware has implications on the character's lifestyle.

>Timesquare marquee
I never really understood the purpose to that one.

Basically it's a HUD that can display text and image - about what you need to benefit of augmented reality. You can display maps, see visual navigation signals, have video conferences, luminous symbols will indicate emergency exits...

How frequently do you get pop-up ads?

>50%
>over the limit
>laughing six-cyberlimb/eyes/ears girls.jpg

(Though, to be fair, it's not easy, or even possible using standard grade without biocompatibility)

Depends what kind of virus you contracted visiting shady VR sex-parlours.

Time Square Marquee Plus: youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

In four years CP2020 will take place in the past.

>GitS take the more spiritual side, saying that there's something a bit more to humans
I'm certainly not GitS expert, but the way I see it GitS pretty much ends up saying there ISN'T anything special that makes humans human. Even the Tachikomas, who are 100% machines, are implied to have the ability to gain a Ghost if they're allowed to develop their AI for long enough without reboots (with maybe the aid of some random glitches).

The core concept of a "Ghost" and how it defines the difference between a human cyborg and an AI robot is a bit of a red herring IMO, because first of all a Ghost can't really be defined and it's shown that pure non-human AI is just as capable of human reasoning and emotion as actual humans. Whether that's called a Ghost or not is trivial at that point.

GitS deals heavily with what it means to be human in a post-human world, but much of the reasoning behind that question is inherently flawed because the characters dealing with it are humans. IMO the Tachikomas imply that the answer is that there is nothing uniquely human and either the Ghost is a misguided anthropocentric concept to begin with, or AIs are just as capable of having Ghosts as humans, as long as they're allowed to develop freely.

Space Odyssey happened 16 years ago.

>IMO the Tachikomas imply that the answer is that there is nothing uniquely human and either the Ghost is a misguided anthropocentric concept to begin with, or AIs are just as capable of having Ghosts as humans, as long as they're allowed to develop freely.

Or both. It could be an anthropocentric concept that sufficiently self-aware being are predisposed to associate with themselves and others. If allowed to develop freely, and become more self-aware, and thus less group-aware, their individuality would then lend them to consider the idea of themselves to have a "ghost" individual of the rest of the others.

And Space happened 2 years before that.

And Rise of the Chaos Wizards 7 years before that.