>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/638ws6/torrential_gearhulk_and_aftermath_ruling_from/dfsccuj/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Playing?
Affintity and Storm. I like that Storm has a lot of intricacies and you really need to know the deck to play it optimally.

>Hating?
Price spikes

>Brewing?
Eldrtich-osaurus combo.

>Expecting any meta changes?
Not really.

>Thoughts on the spike?
I was about to build dredge and/or living end but the speculators did their moves before I could buy anything. Fuck them.

Any uses for Ranger of Eos? Card seems really powerful but I havent seen decks use it other than Soul Sisters.

>Playing?
Esper Control

>Hating?
I would say Tron but I've been doing pretty well against them recently

>Brewing?
Some kind of control deck with the new lands

>Expecting any meta changes?
No

>Thoughts on the spike?
If I end up with on RUG or BUG build and I have to buy Loam it's gonna suck, but it's to be expected

are pauper threads ever a thing?

How to fix modern:

BR
Sorcery
Name a card that isn't a basic land. Target opponent reveals his or her hand. Exile all cards with that name. If a card was exiled in this way, exile all permanents with that name. If a permanent was exiled this way, search that player's graveyard and library for any number of cards with that name and exile them.

Oops, templating fix: The third sentence in the rules text should be "exile all cards revealed this way with the chosen name"

How about you fix a 9mm to your brain at several hundred meters per second? Tron is not oppressive, draw-go would be shit even without it and you need to stop bitching and kill yourself.

>don't mention tron
>tron fag still gets butthurt

Hah. Get fucked tronshitter.

You (or at the very least retards like you) have ruined several threads with your asinine custom card "format-saving" bullshit, just fucking stop.

I know the kid has a full set of bolt and terminate. I think he's also running 2 dreadbore main and some number of fatal pushes and doom blades. I'm not really sure exactly how many creatures he needs to be running with sufficient hand attack backing it up - I think it's safe to say the deck probably wants about 16-18 threats?
Thank you for the list of threats. I'll definitely look them all over and go over them with him next time I get the chance.

>Any uses for Ranger of Eos? Card seems really powerful but I havent seen decks use it other than Soul Sisters.
Maybe some Death's Shadow or Delver shitbrew.
In hatebears he can find Militant and Forge Tender.
Could be cool in Bogles.

The problem with him is that CoCo is just better.

Mostly it's just butthurt tronfags such as yourselves who ruin the threads in response to genuine suggestions.

Here's another format saving suggestion:

REPRINT WASTELAND

>paying 6 mana for a 3/2 and 2 1 drops when you could pay 4 mana at instant speed for 2 3 drops
Makes me think

>Deaths shadow Jund
>literally just shit your hand out and push every card they play then thoughtseize shit you can't push
>Literally just topdecking the entire game
Why is this gay shit allowed?

>more shit for jund
Just kill yourself already

>tron
>can't be inquisitioned or thoughtsiezed because every key combo piece is land based, and wizards hates land hate, even as it apparently loves land based combo.
>convinces delusional faggots that they're playing a control deck.

Ban tron, then we can talk about death's shadow.

>living end
Did something else get bought up? Or are you referring to fulminator

>6 mana for 1 body you want plus 2 other bodies you want
>or 4 mana for the chance at 2 bodies, half of the time 1 body, and sometimes absolutely nothing with a high chance of just hitting creatures that do nothing at the time
It really doesn't

Did Karn touch you as a child?

there's only one thing that needs to be done to make Modern a truly great format, and I think we all know what it is

Unban Punishing Fire

Away heathen.

t. Jund player

In an punishing fire, blood braid elf and death rite shaman desu

>No banlist Modern Jund is the exact same as Legacy Jund, minus duals and Hymn to Tourach
BGx was a mistake

Reprint Hymn to Tourach, Sylvan Library, Badlands and Bayou, then unban Dethrite Shaman, BBE, and Punishing fire tbqh

>In an punishing fire, blood braid elf and death rite shaman desu
I'm a jund player, but lets be real: only BBE is safe to unban. The rest is good where it is now.

just to entertain the idea of Punishing Fire for a minute, i think there are basically two questions

1) Can Death's Shadow decks still exist in a format with Punishing Fire (assuming that such a format is not just 100% Punishing Fire decks)

2) Are there control/combo decks that can beat Punishing Fire decks

DRS definitely needs to stay banned though

Amonkhet:
What do you guys think about Anointer Priest in Soul Sisters?

How about the bicycle lands in Splendid Valakut?

I'm new to modern and starting to pick up UWR control staples as they're probably as cheap as they're going to be for a while (fetches, snapcasters etc.).

I've been looking at jeskai nahiri decklists and will probably play something similar when I eventually have all the pieces but that may take a while.

What sort of budget deck should I play in the meantime to get a feel for playing modern? Burn?

>What sort of budget deck should I play
Mono-Green Stompy, always and forever.

With threats like this, why isn't stomping good enough?

Because it's a vanilla 4/5 that dies to everything besides bolt

The deck suffers from the fact that it's just a tad too slow (in my experience playing the deck it's about a turn slower than most other aggro decks), its removal options are costly or inconsistent (dismember or fight spells) and the sideboard options are very limited.

That said, it's still very solid for what it is and can hold its own against most of the field. I feel the deck might become something real if it just got 1 or 2 great cards printed for it.

4 drop amonkhet croc any good?

>4 drop
Afraid not

Sounds good, got a deck list?

Here it is. The only really big deviation from normal lists I run is the 2 copies of Dungrove Elder. If you don't like them they're easily replaceable with 2 more copies of Scavenging Ooze or Kalonian Tusker.

DRS being unbanned would make dredge fair again. It is the perfect model for a graveyard hate card: good enough on its own, the hate is incidental to the main effect.

>I've never played with drs

The problem is that it's *too* good on its own.

That may be true. They could reprint some versions of it with limited modes. Like a birds of paradise that needs to exile a card from a graveyard to produce mana.

Either you never played with DRS, or you played with him and just want him back at all cost OR you are a fucking dumb ass who dont understand modern at all. Pick one.

What's with the anti-tron fag? Does he play some tier 5 kitchen table deck, and the only real deck he's fought is tron? Is that why he keeps spamming his retarded custom card in these threads?

>Hi I didn't play modern until 2016!

You don't say.

Now what if they print one of these with an effect that punishes Jund?
>whenever you cycle or discard a card, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player

WotC loves pushing at least one card in each color for each mechanic so they can claim it wasn't a complete bust because something made it into Modern.
How will they do it this time, and what would be the best for Modern?

Now what if you fucked off to the thread for faggots like you and their shitty custom cards?

Well, to be fair, tron is for mouth breathers and nobody likes playing against it

fucking custom card fag
FUCK OFF

>literally a worse Swiftspear

I want the customfags to go. They're as bad as the fags who insist cube is the best format.

I like playing against it fine, because I'm not an autistic sperglord like you.

I play Mono-U Merfolk, btw.

I don't think you'll ever get the tron players to admit that they are literally the villains of the modern format. Even in eldrazi winter, they commanded more disgust.

>Samefagging

Quick, post what deck you play anti-tronfag, so we can all laugh at how retarded you actually are.

nice try tronfag.

Grixis Control

>it's just one person
Tron is just ultra linear and polarizing. Either it get a crushed by aggro or crushes slow decks.
I'm not ass pained because your superior intellect beat me out. Pls get over yourself

I just play Tron desu

>5 seconds in paint

>there are people ITT that can't deal with tron
>they're so upset that they resort to inventing custom cards to fantasize about beating the deck

It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

>being this assblasted
>d.d..don't hate tron reeeeee

>there are people ITT that can't deal with tron
Not liking something and being unable to handle something or entirely different. I can't expect tron players to understand this though

no
it literally took you 5 seconds in paint to make that

On it's own it fails the bolt test. Can pass if you are willing to put the -1/-1 counter on one of your other creatures.

>Everyone who calls me out on being retarded is a tronfag!

I bet you're a trumpet too. Your brainless mantras sound alike.

>anti-tronfags don't know about Ghost Quarter, Tectonic Edge, Bloodmoon, Fulminator Mage, Spreading Seas/Seas Claim, etc. etc.

Please understand the format before talking about it, thank you.

Oh, one cool trick is if you have a Young Wolf or other creature with undying, if it already has the +1/+1 counter, you can put the -1/-1 counter on it. The counters get rid of each other and the undying creature can come back again.

But I want to beat Tron fairly, with creatures.

Dealing with tron is not hard, but that doesn't mean dealing with it isn't annoying as fuck.

#MMGA
#ReprintWasteland

>ghost quarter
Not good enough. It puts them ahead on lands, meaning they can just hardcast the expensive spells.

>tec edge
Yeah, good luck stopping a turn 3 tron with tec edge.

>bloodmoon
Literally part of the cancer killing modern. Terrible design, has too much collateral damage. It is a very powerful effect though.

>Fulminator Mage
The first alright answer you've suggested

>Spreading Seas/Seas Claim, etc
This can be fun, but it's only really playable in 2 decks.

Pretty sure that could be done by one person with a proxy. I'm even more sure I don't really care if you are a same fag.

>Complaining about decks that are apparently easy to beat

Typical American

>>bloodmoon
>Literally part of the cancer killing modern.
Go back to frontier, nobody wants you here

Ban 8th and 9th edition.
Ban 10th too. Warp World carried a deck to 2nd at a Japanese GP. Old cards are inherently broken.

>implying

If anything, Magic has undergone powercreep over time.

>ban blood moon
Kill yourself and shove your faggot 5 color deck up your ass

>not playing six "colors"

W E W

Compare Serra Angel, considered a top tier card in its time, to Baneslayer Angel, a card that doesn't see play in any serious decks.

Now tell me that old cards are, on average, better than new cards.

This dude is correct. At the level of Vintage and Legacy and even Modern a little bit, over the years the power level has increased. Mostly this is because the really ridiculous spells they used to print are still in use, and in modern sets they've tried to increase the power of creatures to match them.

Indeed, we're playing in the era of hyper-efficient creatures. The Hearthstone generation is afraid of moderate to high levels of interaction, and this has been reflected in the design of MtG sets. It's why shit like pic related is getting printed, despite there being no truly threatening control options being printed for years at this point.

Only creatures and auras

>crying about a questionable version of Loxodon Smiter
That card will only be good in Standard or against Mono-Blue. There is no reason to expect it will see anything except sideboard play (no matter how strong U is) because it fails the bolt test, and WotC has been increasing the methods U has to stall the board, precisely until they can dig out a proper solution to problem cards.

SPLIT CARDS CMC WILL ALWAYS BE THE COMBIMED CMC NOW (except on the stack)

Bird brain, dark dwellers boom//bust, expertise fuse are all dead

The point isn't about the specific card, chucklefuck. It's an illustration of the current mentality of the design team: Efficient creatures, low interaction.

Yeah, people don't realize that we're not getting that card for standard. We're getting it to push modern.

It's also monocolored which, weirdly with how modern mana-bases work, makes it less likely to see play.

Bogle was printed in 2008. Don't get me wrong, the design team is a group of chucklefucks, but this isn't terribly new.

I maintain hatebears isn't a healthy archetype for the game

It's been the overall design mentality since thragtusk
Creatures aren't just creatures now, they're spells on etb and enchantments

Source?

the rules for split cards have always been retarded

now they're retarded in a different way

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/638ws6/torrential_gearhulk_and_aftermath_ruling_from/dfsccuj/

Haha, Ponza is dead. Dead!

So, what gets an indirect buff and what doesn't?

The existence of hexproof is not on its own a sign of this. We've had hexproof as an effect since Mirrodin (and technically 3 Kingdoms). However there were 2 hexproof creatures in mirrodin, 1 hexproof creature in ravnica, and 2 hexproof creatures in Lorwyn-Shadowmoor.

Kaladesh block had as many as all those combined.

Ponza uses no fuse or expertise..

Sunforger gets weaker

Fuck wotc for always working to dumb down the game.

Show me an artifact that is better than any of the moxen or black lotus.
A better ritual than dark ritual.
Better lands than duals, tolarian academy, strip mine or library of Alexandria.
Better counters than FoW and mana drain.
Better draw spells than ancestral recall or brainstorm.
Better tutors than vampiric and demonic tutor.
Wewew lad, such powercrip

Oh boy, more shitty rule changes for people who don't even care or worry about such things. I love catering to the lowest common denominator

Speaking of, Shroud getting the boot was exactly that. The excuse being that some players didn't understand that they couldn't target their own creatures.

>Now tell me that old cards are, on average, better than new cards.
>on average
>Cherry picks from the power 9 and a few other busted examples

Confirmed for total fucking retard.

>Better counters than FoW and mana drain.
I can agree with manadrain but FoW should not be with it.

Regenerate might be a better example of WotC gutting effects because underage pack-crackers didn't understand it.

And for each of those examples, there's dozens if not hundreds of examples of old cards being obsoleted by newer ones. Are you so stupid you don't know what "on average" means?