Why are dwarves associated with technology?

Why are dwarves associated with technology?

>inb4 2/3 of the entire thread talks about the movies
>again
Please /tv/, leave. We had this already. They forge, they live underground and you need technologies to to make the underground habitable.

Because dwarfs are industrious. Industrious-industry-technology.

They are associated with craftsmanship.
They take a known concept and autismo over it to the point of it becoming extremely nice and valuable.
They don't drive fundamental science/technological innovation the way gnomes do, and they don't make sords as applied objects of art the ways elves do. They just take a sord and make it an excellent sord because they obsess every step of the way. Like bearded unwashed hardcore linux users argue over which distro is better instead of doing fun things like algorithms. And even if they did algorithms they'd just obsess over crap like conventions.

It's sword, user.

Fuck you what the fuck do you know I killed 4 men

Expertise in mining leads to expertise in engineering.

Realistically the dwarven race is one Raindwarf away from establishing the difference engine in most settings.

Because Israel gave us the flash drive, Merkava tank, Tavor rifle, some desalination technology, etc

They truly are an inspiration

That's just "their thing". Fantasy races should have something more than height to differentiate them.

Because they don't have magic. What else are they supposed to do?

Don't want to argue about the LOTR dwarves or movies in terms of concept, but holy shit that scene is total crap. I would've laughed out loud if this was in the theatrical release.

>What else are they supposed to do?
Drink heavily.

Because the dwarves were the source of all sorts of artifacts in norse mythology I guess. Crap like superb boats that could be folded into a pocket hankerchief, glowing boars crafted from pig skin, and gold rings that made copies of themselves.

Like in The Witcher?

Because Tolkien based Dwarves on Jews and Jews are smart

The biggest cinema letdown I had since I've chosen Mummy 3 over Kung-Fu Panda.

Dwarves are mechanically minded and are tinkerers, in general lore.

Because the alternative is to have gnomes in your setting

Why is your mom associated with all those pies?

Is that an edit? Because I for the life of me can't remember those things.

>it's a "subhuman ape hates gnomes" episode

Bilbo Goldstein go home!

GNOMES ARE THE BEST
>hot
>smart
>beat everyone

Are they really? Gnomes and goblins are more associated with technology in my experience.

Gnomes and gobbos are more experimental and unstable, while dwarves are more about simpler technology polished and refined to the limit.

>Because they don't have magic
That's stupid. You must be stupid.

Because every since fucking ancient Germanic myths when Dwarves were just Dark Elves, they were associated with metallurgy and smithing which naturally moves into the idea of technology.
Try google next time, nerd.

The extended cut of the film has a dwarf/elf battle which is honestly the only good part of the film.

The elves get BTFO.

I just love how you used autismo as a verb.

In general lore they're magical craftsmen

Dwarves traditionally have a thing for metal, both acquiring various metals and they're typically described as being excellent smiths. It's a relatively short jump from making the best weapons/armor/etc to making clockwork gadgets and so on.

Dwarves are also typically portrayed as being sort of the opposite of Elves, and Elves have their whole nature schtick. Nature is typically portrated as being the opposite of technology.

And finally, they also typically live underground and make all sorts of clever hidden doors and the like. That's also getting pretty technological.

That is one of the most genuinely ridiculous things I have ever seen.

Honestly the stupid battle shit was the closest part of that movie to redeemable. It was shlock of the highest degree but it was fun on a mindless level.

Sure better than the dialogue.

I suppose if you could get those anti-arrow things to work they'd be pretty effective.

Thing is, you'd need to hit your enemy's clump of arrows in midair, you'd want to hit their army when the things land, and any sort of volley fire would fuck them over.

So I suppose they're a pretty reasonable thing to use against Tolkein Elves.

Not to mention mining goes hand in hand with the concept of the Industrial Revolution. Mining is slow, shitty work. It's an easy logical step to building something to make it easier.

I always saw dwarves and gnomes as conceptually pretty redundant. You could easily have them be one race and nobody would bat an eye.

>Why are dwarves associated with technology?

Well from what I always understood; in ye olde times Dwarves made all the shit the Gods used: Thor's hammer most prominently and the Doors that opened up to the various other (painted) worlds within the Yggdrasil multi-verse.

Like, they weren't even that great at clothing themselves; they'd just DIG and MINE and SMITH.

That was ridiculous but this is just retarded. Poor Ian McCellen.

They live underground. All they do is mine and smith all day.

what the cunting fuck?

And drink, don't forget drinking.

what the fuck are those ballistae?

only two of those things are useful, and israel did not invent the flash drive, lol

Cell phones?

they had to develop complex machinery to fend off the mammoths and kobolds.

Because most people riffing Tolkien weren't paying enough attention to know that Orcs were the metaphor for industry.

lots of people were working towards mobile phones, seems juggernaut US phone companies had engineers that developed the concept

don't need anything advanced to fend off a kobold, just make a squad with an axeman and issue a kill order

Go dig out adamantine, cunt.

you forgot the uzi

Yes but it feels like something dwarves would actually make.

how did you do it

Very carefully

In tolkien's stuff it was actually the orcs that were associated with technology and the mechanization of war inspired by his own experiences in world war one.

But user, those Germanic myths are pretty new compared to the magical short people of the Egyptians.

They're mountain jews. Mountain jews make clocks

With a sord

Because necessity is the mother of invention. And dwarves have many necessities.

What sort of sord was it?

The flash drive isn't israeli

However pretty much all non-ARM CPUs are designed in Israel since Intel's US teams are apparently a bunch of drooling retards.

How do you make booze when you live underground

>Raindwarf

Just find out in the archive, you fucking scrub/ Seriously, fuck off already

>Because they don't have magic
>Not writing dwarf wizard-priests into your setting
or
>Using 2e's race/class combos as the standard for how demihuman races operate

..When in lucifer's name did this happen? I've only seen bofa maybe twice, but this seems like something you'd remember

The same way that you'd make it overground, but with less worry about sunlight. And everything is automatically lagered.