What's Veeky Forums's opinion on online RPing servers/communities?

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on online RPing servers/communities?

Personally, I've found them to be creatively bankrupt compared to meatspace sessions I've had.

I don't know whether it's limitations of the game/engine/computer, but everyone's plotlines just revolve around contriving a battle between two groups or going somewhere to kill something.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rqiE30L8uOA&list=PLrJ8nFyja94WcGQ73KOflX0GxvMewtR0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Used to do WoW RP a few years ago. Mostly Hordeside, occasionally Alliance.

It could sometimes be fun, but most people took their characters way too seriously. Especially Horde, where it was just a bunch of Orcs getting into /pol/tier arguments and making idle threats at each other because the game can't actually facilitate bar fights. It also got incredibly boring sometimes as it was almost always "Let me tell you about my character" and "Please, let me let you tell me about your character".

The most fun I had was reading cringey Blood Elf RP addons or playing as characters who deliberately flaunted what people expected from RP characters. Mostly ones with no delusions of being tough stuff or were just too thick to actually appreciate or be impressed by all the grandstanding.

Great if done well. OPs pic is a pretty good example of gaming communities done pretty well, if you can find your niche

There were some good persistent world servers a few years back, no idea what the scene looks like now.

Emote fights were the fucking worse.

People acting like big shit because there was no mechanical way their character could suffer.

Arelith is still a server that exists. Amia, POTM, Sinfar. Idk. There's potential.

I used to play this game called DragonHall many years ago. I've seen a few other anons bring it up before. It was really cool, had a very friendly community, was small and inviting, and lasted a few years.

That's the last time I did a persistent world "Freeform" game. I have a lot of good memories and stories from that game. But it was taken down a long time ago. I think a couple owned it, and the husband died, and it just sort of shrank until there weren't enough people to justify the cost of running it or something.

>Potm

Fuck Prisoners of the Mist.

Potm, like all these servers, suffers from insularity, stagnation, and dms with heads up their asses.

Also *crosses arms*

I played NWN persistent Worlds for at least a decade, it was my primary form of role-play for a long while. Last one o was on was Escape From The Underdark. It was ok. Good people. Had problems. In the end I just couldn't do it schedule wise anymore. Too much time investment, too much frustration, kind of got burned out on the scene, started working nights

I still think about it sometimes and start theory crafting builds and concepts before I catch myself. I probably would.never have matched the importance I reached during the end of EFU:A where my cleric of Chauntea basically kept everyone supplied while we were under siege.

RP in vidya can be fun, I think Space Station 13 is best with light to mid rp (heavy rp gets to rules heavy for my liking) and some lite rp in ARK: Survival Evolved made this great series
youtube.com/watch?v=rqiE30L8uOA&list=PLrJ8nFyja94WcGQ73KOflX0GxvMewtR0s

Sadly there's not very many good public lite rp server for ARK.

#Fantasy on f-list is like that but with the bonus that it's not a single setting.

100% of RP on #Fantasy is a human fighter/gay dickgirl explaining the setting they came up with to another human fighter/gay dickgirl, who then gives the bare minimum acknowledgement of the other's storytime before doing the same.

Catgirls watch from the rafters, but say nothing.

I've always wondered how that shit worked. I think I might read in to how to join the f-list.

Personally, I've been playing Arelith recently. The grind is an economy sized bucket of nigger dicks, but otherwise it's a pretty solid experience. Would recommend.

>People acting like big shit because there was no mechanical way their character could suffer.

I remember playing a mouthy Blood Elf chick who couldn't keep her mouth shut. One day she bugged the wrong orc and he used an emote to smash her face with a wooden mug. I rolled with it and gave her a broken nose.
then the orc gave me an epic mount from the auction house for being a good sport and not pulling any *teleports behind you* garbage

sad tragedy with that, not enough people roll with the consequences of their characters actions and few people would enforce them. I've seen the same motherfucker on a server chimp out in the middle of a bar and have his

character "be possessed" or some other gay shitty excuse to be a dick. then when the smoke cleared and either he would be arrested or executed a bunch of people rush him off to everyone elses irritation and then everyone would act like it never happened.

>Catgirls watch from the rafters, but say nothing.

I feel like that could be a writing prompt.

"They stare with their enormous, heterochromatic eyes. When I move, the eyes follow, and if I touch the door knob, the entire lot bristles, as though ready to pounce - and it is only then that a hint of emotion creeps into their faces. Anticipation. Bloodlust. They lick their fangs, and I lose my nerve. By the gods, I shall starve and die, or go mad and dash for the door.

"But they shall have me, in the end."

I roleplayed in WOW too.
My first character was pure shit. Some highborn human dude who acted nice to everyone but was actually a warlock who went full crazy edge whenever he put on his mask and did nasty shit with his coven like burning Goldshire (not like anyone gave a fuck about that) or kidnapping random elves.
My second character was a huge improvement. I was basically an undead soldier who got his brain too damaged when he died so he was a brute who just went around punching the shit out of people. Had a good time with my Forsaken bros.
I made a point of bullying elves with both characters because fuck them.

Did anyone else here ever RP in custom games from Warcraft III? Games like CotMRP and DoBRP were the shit.

you know he only bought you that mount because he thought you were a girl IRL

Don't care, free mount.

Funny thing, I remember on my Alliance side toon I had a book-dumb lady paladin who people always hit on. The best one was this edgelord Worgen who went full-on Nice Guy with me.

I didn't like playing female characters this much, but it was a surefire way to get people to do walk-ups with you. My Tauren hunter didn't seem to catch much attention.

I was big into Arelith from about 2006-2012 or so. I eventually quit because of the simply insufferable grind and some very very bad DMing. People have tried to get me to go back, but honestly I don't have another 3000 hours of my life to devote to it and the payoff was just sitting in empty areas for 6-10 hours a day just so that people who arrive at your faction HQ will have someone to talk to.

Theres a Veeky Forums chat room in the private tabs in F-List Chat. Generally its okay but there are a few morons in it, but compared to non tg rooms they are more tolerable, better quality assured and less prone to shit storytelling.

>payoff was just sitting in empty areas for 6-10 hours a day just so that people who arrive at your faction HQ will have someone to talk to.

This has been my experience with PWs as well, simply because of all the custom systems inevitably in play to.prevent you from treating it like an MMO and grinding content for levels and loot.

>there are a few morons in it
It's kind of a hug box and those morons are usually mods or their friends cause it's a giant popularity clusterfuck

Been on Arelith for the the better part of 2014 and '15. Lot of fun, but the problem was that when you logged off so much stuff happens within 24 hours its almost impossible to keep up to date.

Also, Underdark RP was -god- awful.

I play on Arelith as well. It is alright.

>EFU

I wish I had joined when it was good, and people hadn't become snarky, embittered assholes. It's not just one or two individuals either, it's the whole community. It's pretty sad watching legit new people grow gradually more jaded and quit.