Run horror campaign

>run horror campaign
>ask players to give me a very personal story of their characters to be used in a joint nightmare sequence
>get various memories good and bad, of families, friends and lovers
>and then there's that one motherfucker
>personal story is fighting a serial killer in the forest with his dog
>try to prod an actual story by asking how he came across his dog
>"he was a stray and I kinda bumped on him"
>a stray peurebread Great Dane
>change encounter to a ghost fight instead
>he gets passive aggressive once the dog gets spooked to near death by the apparition
>all his encounters are "I google what we found" since day 1

Tell me about that one guy that never got the tone of the game.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Margaret_Garrud
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Delta Green.

>"I take a pic with my phone"
>"I take a pic of this"
>"I take a pic of that"
>"I take a pic of everything"
>bitches that the pics make him lose SAN or even fuck up his phone

>"We deal with things like the one you just burned, to protect mankind. We're with the government. Come join us. One chance. Think wisely."
>the thing in question made him adapted to violence and switch to fight-or-flight mode two times in one session
>motivation: "defend his country"
>"But what's in it for us?"

>there's a loudly clicking geiger counter on a table
>"I pick it up and proceed further."
>"What do you mean I lose CON?"
>"I couldn't do anything, bullshit! I had a geiger counter! Why didn't you warn me?"

>"Of course I tell the therapist the truth. I need that SAN."
>"I want a Kriss Super V!"
>"I want a full set of SWAT armor!"
>"I want a sniper rifle!"
>"I dual-wield my pistols!"

>"Can I play as a mage? No? Not even a psychic?"

>"So this is a Vietnam War campaign? Cool! I want to play as a voodoo priest from Louisiana who's a an FBI occult expert!"

Victorian Era Mage the Awakening
>I want to play a woman
>She's young, unmarried, independent, and knows Kung Fu
>She acts cutesy and thinks she's super endearing
>Hey GM, I want to go out and buy knuckle dusters, personally
>Of course I have my own money, who doesn't?
>I'm obviously going to have my own Dojo, in London
>Oh, he was rude to me? I'm going to break his arm, to teach him a lesson
>I want to join the Sentinels, and the best way to do follow them around and punch people for them

That Guy thread? That guy thread.

To be fair, WoD history has equal rights for women since the dark ages

what you gotta do in this scenario is slowly reveal to him flashbacks from his past which he had suppressed, ultimately revealing that HE was actually the serial killer that he fought, and the person he fought and killed was actually who he thought he had been all along.

but then he's killing himself! THat's a terrible thing to do to the player

and you are SUCH a scua faglord

wow he sounds like a scua faglord

>scua faglord
What is this

Someone trying to force a meme

>>personal story is fighting a serial killer in the forest with his dog
>>try to prod an actual story by asking how he came across his dog
>>"he was a stray and I kinda bumped on him"
>>a stray peurebread Great Dane

... Shaggy?

I think your player was playing shaggy

It truly is a world of darkness

I think it's like skub?

>finally talk my players into trying something besides D&D
>start running horror games (CoC and DG mostly) almost exclusively because I like spooky stuff
>players aren't very good at investigation and almost always favor trying to blow the monster up instead of rummaging through clues and old tomes for a way to quietly banish it
>usually make combat encounters much more forgiving than the system intends
>feel unsatisfied whenever a session goes off without a hitch, but worry that if I step up the difficulty and kill more PCs the players will lose interest in the game and want to go back to D&D

What the fuck do I do?

>personal story is fighting a serial killer in the forest with his dog
>a stray peurebread Great Dane

Ruh roh Raggy

You talk with your players about it and stop trying to accommodate their comfort zone.

Stop mucking about

Have you considered making your monsters immune to dynamite? Some shit should shrug off physical damage. Blowing up a corpse fiend, sure. Blowing up a ghost? Good luck.

Or provide other incentives/disincentives to immediately resorting to the holy hand grenade. Make weapons/ammo rarer. Make monsters smarter or quicker. Give your monsters resistances and then stick to them- if your players run in on something that's completely immaterial and try to shoot it, they should get fucked up. The knee jerk reaction to just shoot monsters is born by a lack of fear of monsters.

So what's the problem with wanting to purchase knuckle dusters?

The problem with all the things he mentioned are that they're incredibly improper for the setting (Kung Fu, a liberated woman) or improper for a lady

Why would you want to play a fighter when running Mage? Mage is for wizards and shit, I don't join V:tM and go 'hey I'm gonna play Frankenstein that cool'

This is from four different players.

>not playing mixed-party, no holds barred WoD

Oh fucking God
He probably does
brb gonna fucking kill him and the dog

Well now you're just being a dick. If you couldn't pick up on the Scooby-Doo vibe about a guy in a horror situation with a Great Dane then try to kill off the dog because you cant into a joke then you are a piss poor dm.

I don't care, you don't bring joke characters in a dead serious game. He gets the axe.

>no fun allowed.

Yep, dick dm, and a stupid one that cannot add 2 plus 2.

To be honest I'm with the angry GM. Even if I'd "thanks, but no thanks" his game premise myself.

The guy already had shown that he's missing the tone and is merely fucking about. Being a joke reference character is just the last straw.

Well he IS having a horror game.

If you hate it, don't join it, rather than tag along with no interest in getting into it.

Don't you dare mention that unholy substance here!

Did the DM ok the character? If so why is he being an asswipe now? If he had a problem he should never gave the character an ok.

>Did the DM ok the character?
I was expecting a paranormal conspiracy nut that wanted a combat equalizer animal companion, not fucking Hanna Barbera cartoons.

Did you ask any questions, did you ever try to roll with what the guys gave you? Doesnt seem like it. It seems like younare one of those terrible rocks fall everybody dies asshole dms who cannot handle something going off the rails you set. He uses a phone to google stuff in game? Boo fucking whoo, make it so phones dont work in the area, make his battery die, make it so that when the mob gets close the phone physically starts janking up. Layer some horror into your game dumbass, do some actual dming.

But skub is fantastic and he's clearly using scua as a negative

Depending on more description I might give him he geiger counter, unless you specifically told him it was high/bug out now. They click loudly all the time, it just depends how fast the clicks are.

>Hanna Barbera cartoons
>Not serious horror.

Well fuck you too buddy I sure as hell wouldn't play in your game.

Pretty sure they're illegal in London.
They are in Aus

Tasmania would make a good COC campaign
>Inbreeding
>rampant cannibalism

>Unholy

I bet this guy can't even afford skub.

If a lady has an enemy, she has a gentleman fight for her. If she doesn't have a gentleman - implying that she must be slovenly and unattractive, because even lesbians have beards - then she'd fight with a civilized implement such as a pistol or saber; demeaning herself by choosing a barbarian weapon is tatamount to admitting defeat already.

Would a reinforced reticule with a fashionable chain strap not be appropriate?
One should also consider the utility of hat/hair pins and fans, particularly given that the lady in question has an interest in Oriental culture...

>Ruh roh Raggy
My thoughts exactly.

>If you couldn't pick up on the Scooby-Doo vibe about a guy in a horror situation with a Great Dane then try to kill off the dog because you cant into a joke then you are a piss poor dm.
Is it a joke game? Then don't bring a joke character. It ruins the mood.

In this particular case, I'm not sure what I'd do. If there was nothing other than the great dane, I'd probably admonish the player but otherwise let it slide. If there's more stuff (he drives around in a van looking into mysteries, etc.), I think I'd write the character out.

>Hanna Barbera cartoons
>Not serious horror.
Scooby-Doo is pretty far from being scary.

That last one sounds pretty rad for a different sort of campaign. Not a dark serious horror game obviously, but a pulpy "punch Cthulhu" type game

>Scooby-Doo is pretty far from being scary.

I guess you never saw the episodes where swamp witches were stealing the life essence of tourists to stay forever young resulting in a zombie horde.

>its a That DM doesn't realize he is the problem thread.

Should have seen that coming when I opened it honestly.

They are the tools of brutes and Irishmen, unsuited for aristocrats, much less aristocratic ladies.

What, you don't know about Suffrajitsu?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Margaret_Garrud

I'm shocked you didn't pick up on that immediately

(admittedly it's a little later than the Victorian era but still, she learnt it in 1899 which was the tail end. Plus this is a fantasy world full of magic and shit so whatever)