Modern General

Why the spikes edition?

Playing?

Hating?

Thoughts on Mox Opal?

Opinions the price spikes?

Thoughts on the format right now?

How do you feel about Wotc's choice of bannings and policy for bannings lately?

Do you think they're guiding the format like they should?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Wizard just killed any Brain in the Jar decks with their new rules on split cards.

Needed, but also sad

>Bionicle block
Just the thought of that makes me wet AF.

>Why the spikes edition?

What is modern season buyouts

>Playing

Seismic Swans

>Hating

Infect

>Thoughts on Mox Opal

Overpriced and bannable

>Opinions on the price spikes

It sucks for poorfags which means less homebrew meta

>How do you feel about WOTC's choice of bannings and policy for bannings lately

They like to ban cards without actually playing the game at a non GP level

>Do you think they're guiding the format like they should

No. Modern Masters was a mistake. Its only going to cause issues in the future and force them to print new sets that are modern legal ONLY.

Whens the time to buy baubles?

2 months ago

April 24th three seconds after the ban announcement.

Mox Opal is fine. I'd rather it didn't exist, but it do, and banning it would just be a waste. April 24th will be another "No changes" announcement, although I admit a Street Wraith ban would be hilarious, if disheartening.

Price spikes are for fags. I'm more bothered that Wizards knew they were printing cycling lands, but didn't do another Loam reprint in MM17 to fight a spike. Even in the announcement, Sam mentions it's use in Loam decks, except expensive Loams means less brewing with it. Sam was even on the MM17 team. I don't know why he didn't push for a reprint.
Why Living End spiked baffles me a bit however. It just means I'm going to buy up CoCos before some chucklefuck tries making it into a $20 card again.

>brewing
Shitbrewing with my old BW token deck. Someone posted about Nightsky Mimic a while ago and I'm tempted to make it work. Beckon Apparition works well with the deck, and gives mainboard graveyard hate. I've already got Zealous Persecution and the Sorins, Batwing Brume protects against creatures in general, big or wide, while Cauldron Haze + Intangible Virtue already in the deck saves from sweepers.
I'm thinking it could actually work okay.

great post

>overpriced and bannable
>hating infect

Not quite my tempo

tempo...

.....tempo.......

BUY GUTTERSHOT HOLY FUCK

BUY THEM NOW

DONT ASK WHY JUST FUCKING DO IT OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Guttersnipe x4
Grapeshot x4
Mountain x52

I guarantee you this will win any tournament and will become the new meta now.

Mountains are about to spike.

Modern gets extended back to include everything back to 7th edition. Does this change the meta in any significant way?

Why would they do that instead of banning 8th and 9th edition?

Because in this scenario, WotC is a company that does fun and interesting things with their game.

counterspell gets used
tolarian winds probably finds use in a meme deck

Dredge will use Tolarian Winds I think

>banning 8th and 9th edition?
Are there people that actually advocate for this? I thought it was just a meme.

Static orb control

Hey man, banning 8th and 9th is a meme. Personally, I advocate for banning 10th as well before us westerners catch on that the Japs have found a way to break Warp World.

You know what, let's ban everything that isn't from the last three or so blocks, and ban the oldest legal block every time a new one comes out!

I want something even deeper than banning 8th and 9th.

Done.
Where's that change.org link?

"Free Skullclamp"

>break Warp World.
not buying it until you provide a list

It checks out make it be meme gods

Terrible Jank synergies only!

Does it have a place in Soul Sisters?

No. Too weak.

This card breaks cat tribal can't believe wizards printed this

Eh, it'll never dethrone Kithkin so I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not supposed to be an Ajani's Pridemate. It'd serve a purpose closer to Lingering Souls. Yes, I know flashback is better than embalm. But W is hard to beat, and lifelink is relevant.

Also I haven't been following the deck at all. Why didn't pic related bring it into a tier? Was it just eating bolt every time it tried to flip?

>needed

u wot m8

does nobody here play Junk/BGX??

I play Bant Eldrazi, which is sort of the same thing but all of my effects are stapled to awesome creatures. Does that count?

absolutely haram

I started putting together Melira, then Midrange. They just felt boring and linear to me, so I made Knightfall.

Infect was Tier 1 until the Probe ban.

I play Abzan

Someone test this asshole please

he's a mean mofo and genenally just to inteligent for most minds to grasp

Dies to bolt.

he's a scua faglord

Test him for what? He's terrible

This guy has always been super interesting to me.

He sees play in fringe stuff but he just seems so good in red stuff. Why isn't he played more bros? Especially for sideboard hate.

Living End spiked because if any powerful cycling cards are printed in Amonkhet and find there way in the deck, Living End could become a much more powerful deck in modern. It has a handful of great game 1's.

Who knows, but most likely nothing too good will be added if anything else is added at all. That new demon will replace Jungle Weaver though.

No one relies on counter spells. It's why Grixis is so popular. Kill creatures with Push or Bolt instead of hoping for the best with Spell Snare.

I understand that, but this guy just seems too good to be played in virtually nothing.

Too good in what way? At best he's a niche sideboard pick, but even then there's tons more cards I'd grab from RG before him.

Why play a card you don't need? Same reason Rakdos Charm doesn't show up much anymore with Twin gone.

if control ever becomes the top deck in the format then he might be played. you have to be affinity/dredge/infect tier degenerate to start getting people to dedicate sideboard hate to it.even then, he can still be removed with path, bolt, push, anything. if he was an enchantment instead of a creature would be much better.

The only deck that I can see wanting him is maybe Mono-Green Stompy, and they already have solid anti-blue cards in Thrun and Choke.

You could get roughly almost the same effect with a Dismember on most creatures commonly played in the format. What creatures do you need to make have base power or toughness to be 1? Everything needs to be on par or better than the Bolt/Push test in Modern and has to have a strong ability that is worthy of winning the game.

Why is there always chatter about how useful something that stops counterspells is?
I know a guy who cracked a foil lotv and has been trying to trade it at FNM for a playset of Cavern of Souls every week. He wants it for an Elf deck, which makes sense, but every time I see him trying to trade it I just wonder who actually uses counterspells?
The closest thing in the local meta is a guy on 8 Rack. We're all just racing aggro against midrange really.

Now we've got this Serpopard and there's the same chatter from him and others. They want a playset for reasons I can't fathom.

Why is there such paranoia over counterspells? They're such shit that I don't get it.

doesnt die to tarfire, decay or kcommand. obvs sb card for shadow.

Why would you do that when you can just use Push?

Great SB in devotion meme decks

How many fetch lands do you think I own ?!!

What did he mean by this?

>if it's 5cmc it's shit
>if it's less lol dies to push
Would you rather windmill slam a Kalitas, Rhino, or that sick cunt when facing down Death's Shadow BGx, the objectively better version of the deck you're playing?
He's Jund/Junk's last hope.

You're fucking stupid m8.

So are you. Stop overestimating Push.

Im simply to inteligent for you to understand next level sideboard tech when you see it, just like my boy Vhati

>durr my 4CMC jank ass legendary is the ultimate tech! XD
>No way hard removal that costs 1/4~1/2 the CMC is better!

Fucking kill yourself.

Used to play him in Hulk Footsteps during the Twin metagame

Banaman truly is the best creature is Modern.
>inb4 path to exilefags show up

>implying Path stops bananaman when you're in the colors to just Essence Flux him away

>He's Jund/Junk's last hope
This has to be bait. Is this a meme?

Well, if we're including Odyssey and Scourge blocks, I hope there'd be a Mind's Desire deck. Outside of that I can't really think of anything. UG Madness is too slow, Wake is definitely too slow, Slide is probably too slow. Maybe there's a Tog deck IDK.

They should definitely do it, though. Those sets are sweet as hell. If they need to ban a block, they should look at Alara, Zendikar, and Scars block.

>Essence Flux

wait VHATI IL DAL is the card this conversation is about?

ahahahahaha you maniacs

>implying I'm not playing hallowed moonlight
nothin' personnel kid

How long until the buyout and [Card Title] ensues?

How long until Americans find out about the tech.

Thats not the image I posted at all.

Thanks Moot/Hiro

>Those sets are sweet as hell

It's the reason I specified that period of time. There's a ton of seriously fun cards I wish I could run present in those sets.

do you run hierarchs my man?

Not telling

>This card exists
One more card for my Zurgo Bellstriker EDH deck

Counterspells are the boogieman, user. The most terrifying thing to a Timmy is tapping their mana and nothing happening.

Sacred cat is cute, CUTE!

Also, why did WOTC had to change rulings with fuse/split cards?

None of those decks were even near being tier 1-2.

I haven't played since invasion came out, im old schoolness.

I look at cards now and wonder when it turned to yu gi oh combined with pokemon + gundam.

whatever happened to good old norwood priestess and thorn elementals... sigh.

I digress.

Yes, my meta is full of retarded blood moon and tron decks I can never beat. Life is suffering

All of the recent 5-0 lists on modo play hierarch, I personally don't play it anymore because it didn't really do anything in my experience with it and it was an awful top deck. Most of those same lists also play Grim flayer which I am convinced is unplayable

Because that was not how those cards were intended to work, the fewer silly meme decks in the format the better

4cmc do nothing. No reason to test it.

Creature cards just are now on par with old sorceries.

Probably because they realised the old rules were retarded. No idea why they waited till the set after the fuse cards which interact with them though.

what does your list look like? undisrupted hierarch opening is godly though and i do like the flayer topdeck fixing

Has a single card from Amonkhet even looked like it could even be sideboard material yet?

So did the banning of probe an infects subsequent demise prove that infect players are completely retarded and trash at mtg without perfect knowledge?

quads of truth desu

>More unplayable trash spoilers and edh shit

Kefnet the Careful
2U
Legendary Creature - God
Flying, indestructible

Kefnet the Careful can't attack or block unless you have seven or more cards in hand.

3U: Return a land you control to it's owner's hand. You may draw a card.

Holy shit what fucking garbage. Might as well just be a shitty indestructible enchantment with that effect

Is UW control going to be the new boogieman with this? a 3 mana flying with indestructible is busted in a sphinx's rev for 15 deck.

fuggin sick maymay friend xddd

Tron players are the worst, literal human garbage, and modern would be better if we banned 9th edition, simply because it would get those wastes of oxygen to fuck right off.

>Spend 3 mana turn 3 on this, or a Liliana
Tough choice desu

It curves into Supreme Verdict nicely, and it's not hard for Esper to have a full grip early in the game or later on after a Rev. I'll have to test it.

This might be the worst card I have ever seen desu

Hmm, this seems alright. It helps a control deck turn extra lands into cards, and provides a basically unbeatable blocker.

>Tough choice desu

Same, I'd rather hardcast a Stinkweed Imp than this shit