Heroes of Might and Magic 5 simply have the best city design and theme in all of fantasy this could also be attributed...

Heroes of Might and Magic 5 simply have the best city design and theme in all of fantasy this could also be attributed to Paul Romero being great soundtracks as well .

I have yet to find anything else that can give me the same level of visual feels. any of you know of anything that can ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0_06EJIO4FU
youtube.com/watch?v=fEFAMMq5S0k&t=326s
youtube.com/watch?v=BKWtwJ38EjE
youtube.com/watch?v=TJuPBBw-l-M
youtube.com/watch?v=bLU4IPX82Os
youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo
youtube.com/watch?v=lrLCLfoxKb4
youtube.com/watch?v=I-gnjMemqdE
youtube.com/watch?v=7jSCbUKBqsI
youtube.com/watch?v=4VZC6Bogos4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think HoMM3 has better music, but HoMM5 cities do look really cool.

I know I'm being a soulsfag, but seeing Anor Londo for the first time was pretty cool for me.

Here is an example as this pretty much shows us the wonder and beauty that comes from the vanity of wizards.

youtube.com/watch?v=0_06EJIO4FU

Step aside kids, best fantasy boss theme incomming
youtube.com/watch?v=fEFAMMq5S0k&t=326s

this was more a thread about city design but sure can agree that The Witcher 3 OST is gold.

youtube.com/watch?v=BKWtwJ38EjE

Well not a city, but location ambient:
youtube.com/watch?v=TJuPBBw-l-M

HoMM 5 is criminally underrated because it is hard to not compare to perfection that was HoMM3 which five clearly tried to be.
Especially the expansion that added secondary upgrade to all units makes game really good (tho few of them are strictly better in 9/10 situations which is a shame)

HoMM 5 was pretty good in terms of mechanics, but I had two main issues with it:
First of all, the graphics always bothered me. Literally the worst HoMM game in that matter., it looks too cartoonish, with too big colour contrast and bad unit models. Both the earlier, as well as the later games looked way better.
The second problem I always had with it was the AI. For some reason the AI took way too long to finish their turn, especially in late game and on big maps, it got to a point when you literally had to wait up to a minute for a couple AI to finish their turns.

HoMM 4 is the most underrated HoMM game of all time though. It had some problems, but I just loved the hero units in battle. The music was one of the best as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=bLU4IPX82Os

HoMM 5 has less to do with HoMM than with Warhammer. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to make a Warhammer game, were told to fuck off by Crazy Kirby, and made a HoMM game with the same assets anyway. I mean, just look at their fucking Dungeon.

I don't think it's underrated. People usually rank it on par or slightly below HoMM 3.

>it looks too cartoonish, with too big colour contrast
So, exactly like HoMM 1 and 2?

Even HoMM 1 and 2 didn't have such awkward models, and the contrast was a given with such simple graphics. HoMM 5 has literally no excuse.

>Even HoMM 1 and 2 didn't have such awkward models
HoMM 1 and 2 didn't have models. And if you don't think the animation was awkward, well, did you play with your eyes closed?
>the contrast was a given with such simple graphics
This makes no sense; and the graphics weren't simple for their time.
>HoMM 5 has literally no excuse
And neither does it need an excuse for something that's good and faithful to the series.

>HoMM 5 has less to do with HoMM than with Warhammer.
>LeDroit
>Warhammer
kys brit

Disciple II > HoMM 3

Imo 2d animation in the late 90's looked less awkward than this, yeah.

Simpler graphics require more contrast, yes. Pretty much all the older games have lively colours, because it makes it easier to actually tell what's going on when actual graphics aren't enough. HoMM 3 and 4 had way more more "toned" colours than 5, and looked way better.

>And neither does it need an excuse for something that's good and faithful to the series
I said it's good mechanically. I still think that it is a good game, graphics aren't everything, I just mentioned that it was something that always bothered me from day 1.

Both are great. I wish Disciples 3 wasn't so bad, I loved the concept of this series.

I thought 4 looked terrible, and animated even worse.

5 was miles ahead in contrast, even if the unit designs really were a bit too Warhammer-ish.

I felt like in HoMM 5 the movements and models were exaggerated, as I said, kind of cartoonish. Like that crusader in pic above, clunky proportions, hunched, sword and shield far away for the body, it looks ridiculous to me. Of course it may be a good thing to someone else, it just bothered me.
As for 4, I actually liked how it looked, it was a more realistic approach. It had some cool ideas for the gameplay too, but needed some balancing imo.

>Imo 2d animation in the late 90's looked less awkward than this, yeah.
We will have to agree to disagree. It was really wooden and primitive. I don't mind though, it's harder by an order of magnitude to animate 2D sprites.
> it makes it easier to actually tell what's going on when actual graphics aren't enough.
That's not the issue. Really old games had a very limited colour palette due to hardware limitations. None of these limitations existed when HoMM came out. It was so cartoonish because the artists wanted it that way.
>HoMM 3 and 4 had way more more "toned" colours than 5, and looked way better.
I don't mind the comparatively washed out look of HoMM 3, though it was a step in the wrong direction and made the game more generic. However, it's generally accepted that HoMM 4's ugliness was one of the primary reasons why it didn't sell.

I loved the cartoon graphics in HoMM 2. In terms of look and feel I liked it better than the admittedly mechanically superior HoMM 3. My biggest issue with HoMM V graphics was that it was hard to see passability on the world map. Mechanics-wise I found the square combat grid lame.

Agree on HoMM IV, the soundtrack was especially great.
youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo
youtube.com/watch?v=lrLCLfoxKb4
youtube.com/watch?v=I-gnjMemqdE

HoMM4 was really ugly as shit dude. I mean, I know, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all, but the models were low poly, and what's worse, the textures were very bland, lacking a lot of detail.

I also liked a lot of changes to the gameplay though. I have a friend who still says 4 is the best because of the more granular grid (I think it's retarded "complexity for complexity's sake" but w/e).

>My biggest issue with HoMM V graphics was that it was hard to see passability on the world map. Mechanics-wise I found the square combat grid lame.

These are my complaints for HoMMV as well. It otherwise had pretty good things going for it.

Let's look at the Dungeon units:

>Dark Elf Assassins
Warhammer
>Dark Elf Wyches
Warhammer
>Minotaurs
HoMM
>Cold One Knights
Warhammer
>Dark Elf Hydra
Warhammer
>Dark Elf Sorceress
Warhammer
>Black Dragon
Warhammer/HoMM

So we have the grand total of ONE legacy unit that came from the previous incarnations of Dungeon. The rest are taken straight from Warhammer.

I like Olivier Ledroit as much as the next guy, but he just drew a couple of promotional arts for HoMM V. Everything actually in the game was designed by Russian concept artists.

>So we have the grand total of ONE legacy unit that came from the previous incarnations of Dungeon.

Hydra was actually a Dungeon unit in 2 you fucking hipster.

Derisions aside, in HoMMV they shifted from "what thematic are we going from towns" to "What sort of things would actually be living in the same town". There was really no reason for medusas, minotaurs and hydras living in the same town aside from "Myths!".

Oh poor baby remind since when elves in your warhammerthrash weared more than generic latex or generic edgelords black plates?

Since forever? it's pretty clear you don't know much or anything about Warhammer. Besides, there's no hero in the game that looks like your art (I can only assume that it's supposed to be Raelag)

HoMM II hydra was a multiheaded snake.
HoMM V hydra was a copy of the Warhammer design, a multiheaded diplodocus with bone plates on its head.

>Since forever?
And nothing close except black-purple colours

So, exactly like HoMM V?

>It's the same because of same colours
typical warhammerpleb

No, it's pretty much the same design barring the different artstyles.

>No, it's pretty much the same design
Then where exactly renaissance suff here

>worst homm

holy shit fuck yourself, ledroits artstyle was the best in the series, it was simply different but it was also unique.

Look at the garbage speedart that came after it.
Just because you liked 3 better doesnt mean that the next two games werent complete garbage compared to 5s aesthetic.

Holy shit you're a mongoloid. Kill yourself with your shit-tier knowledge of anything.

Also, here's the best music from any HoMM game ever:
youtube.com/watch?v=7jSCbUKBqsI

HoMM 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HoMM 5 > HoMM 6 > HoMM 2 > HoMM 1 > HoMM 4 > HoMM 7

Prove me wrong

Where's 4?

So I'm actually at the point where I no longer like 3. After playing endless hours of multiplayer, beating every campaign at least like 5 times, all the Chronicles and with WoD - I'm essentially burned out on 3. They can't offer anything more to me. I have it installed and can replay it periodically, sure, but at this point it's just nostalgia rather than true enjoyment.

>Holy shit you're a mongoloid. Kill yourself with your shit-tier knowledge of anything.
What a great argument

Forgot 4. Updated list at

Heroes III > Heroes V > Heroes II > Heroes IV > Heroes I > pile of dragon shit > nuHeroes

3 is not an infinite game. It can get repetitive over some time. But for what it is, it's a great game.

Also to come back to city design discussion
Ill say that indeed, heroes V cities were very nice looking, altough i do think that they did force circular theme too much in some instances.
Heroes IV cities were absoulte dogshit though. On the other hand, that game has probably the best adventure map of all parts.

I might be an oldfag, but I personally prefer old HoMM's subdued WRPG style to new HoMM's rather generic WoW-esque style

I feel that WoW has permanently poisoned fantasy designs to a point where you have to more far away from traditional fantasy worlds to attempt to escape from unoriginality

P.S.: I obviously know that WH was first, but it was WoW that popularized that style for vidya

I am abosultely in love of Sheltem & Corack - Era lore and a Forgefag, so yeah. I pretty much religiously hate anything that Ubisoft churned out, even if gameplay in HoMM V and DM was really solid.

>hire Ledroit to do the concept art for the game
>don't actually incorporate that style into your games

I mean, I get it. If they did, it'd have been something like Disciples 3 in terms of visual style.

But I still love Ledroit.

I kinda prefer the classic 80s vallejo fantasy feel HoMM3 had as well, yeah.

That's IV.

In V heroes are back to the back lines.

>RIP Forge

I am SO salty about that. I want to know who the autismos were that were against the Forge town? Like, it LITERALLY would've integrated seamlessly with the lore, and it would've been a nice contrast to the typical medieval fantasy stuff.

If Age of Wonders did it, why couldn't HoMM?

Why did it fail so hard?
Disciples 1 and 2 had such an amazing atmosphere, shame we'll never get more.

Although HOMM IV looks doofy as fuck, it has one huge advantage -- its the only one in which you can really just do a full adventurer party.

I wanted to make one where it scales up in difficulty level in a single map to a crazy degree, you start with a party of level 1 dudes and its you against a world full of insanely OP foes. Unfortunately its a crazy amount of work.

I want to fuck Malassa.

-Very- vocal minority.
Like i don't blame people for not knowing about Might and Magic series, but that really sucks.
It was nothing like DI and DII. Speaking of which, i recently marathoned whole Disciples II with expansions. Shit was cash and the presentation is this game is top-notch.

Order ain't free. The web of Asha gotta be spun with the souls of the dead. Urgash aka the creator of demons is not my god. He is chaos incarnate and probably madness as well :DD. SKELETONS and vampires not imps and SUCCUBI ok .Asha uses all.

Literally best dad.

Has there even been a necromancer more stylish than Sandro?

One thing that bothered me about HoMM V is the world map. It was their first time trying a 3D world map and it shows, it's very easy to miss things, the adventure objects don't stand out enough.

HOMM IV is objectively a bad game but I fucking love it. Making a kung fu lich that can summon 200 devils in one turn, shit like that. It also had amazing campaigns and music.

Sandro, for me, is literally how a stereotypical BBEG necromancer works now.

>Derisions aside, in HoMMV they shifted from "what thematic are we going from towns" to "What sort of things would actually be living in the same town"

That's kind of a problem in my opinion. Back in HoMM3, towns felt like epic congolmerations of different creatures, you got the feeling of a very vast and diverse world where creatures had to band together into alliances to withstand serious threats, a la Battle of Five Armies in Hobbit.

Since HoMM5, it shifted into a generic Warlordsesque (anyone remember Warlords?) race tribalism of "orc town" / "dark elf town" / "dwarf town" etc.

It's not -bad-. Its just worse than III, V and arguably II by quite a margin. It had lots of problems with amount of content, shitton of weird design decisions, but is ultimately still a -good- game. A solid 7 or 8 for me.

Got a Sword of the Dragonclaw with your name on it, fucker

THIS.
I absolutely love Ledroit as an artist, too bad they went the Final Fantasy route and ditched the individual style of the concept art in favor of a more mainstream style of the actual models

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't say bad, just bad compared to most other games in the series.

The combat graphics look terrible, the lack of unit upgrades and small amount of units per town are restricting and it's amazingly horrendously imbalanced, even compared to other Heroes games.

But it's probably the Heroes game I put the most time into, because it's just so much fun to break. Also, the campaigns.

post leanna

Veeky Forums - Retro Games

six this high? I thought it was just a watered down of 5 while tossing much of the complexits aside thanks to Erwin le Breton's faggotry

If you insist.

What was Phenrig's deal anyway? Does he get addressed in any of the endings?

Pretty much it, and also it pretty much shipped as an incomplete game.

>not even the lich

Nope.

Probably just one of the many wizards turned infernalists.

Couldn't resist the succubus booty I guess

Yeah exactly. I want to see a map that lets you play your characters the fullest, no level caps, arrows blotting out the sun, and so forth, for I, my wife, and my best friend to play together over the course of a month or so. Might start again after this.

Who in their right mind could?

How well would Might & Magic work as a Veeky Forums campaign setting?

Better not show that to Anita, she might get a heart attack

depends? Enroth or Ashan?

youtube.com/watch?v=4VZC6Bogos4

This has more feels to it

It might work

Who?

Well they're fairly normal fantasy RPG settings, so I assume pretty well.

Well, Heroes IV had excellent campaigns that focused on single characters (Gauldoth for the win), but they still were commanders of armies. Or you could just look at M&M games. In general, I think it would work the best following the formula of the latter - your heroes are important, but not THE most important for the story.

I'm mostly just wondering about how well some traits like the factions/towns and magic schools would translate.

Sandro is cool and all but I love Gauldoth.

>no nipples
Why does she even cover the boobs with her hair then?

Sandro works well as a villian. Gauldoth is a comelling anti-hero.

Good enough? I mean you've got the "races" you've got the towns which are like cultures that also provide bonuses, and then you've got all the monsters and whatever as the enemies.

Or you can try to find a system or make your own that does city management into an RPG and you can play that.

Which I thought was refreshing for an undead campaign.

Shit, now I gotta reinstall.

Two can play this game

Sorry to nitpick, but imo that's less a setting thing and more of a mechanical thing.

That being said, it could be very cool to see a Birthright adaptation for the style of HOMM games. It already had a concept of requiring various levels of Law holdings for different units, and you needed (iirc) a Province of that level first.

Didn't like the combat system so I just use Battlesystem.

I know he was OP, but Gelu was my fav hero, for some reason

I'm not gay I swear

What is this, a scrapped concept for ants?