/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Starter-Spells.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: A Trio of Subclasses
sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v7 (replace space with dot)
bit do/5egtrove

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
Do you allow your players to research and create spells?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1Qjfbz4aMat
strawpoll.me/12670701
vocaroo.com/i/s0RFyaqYh8eu
mega.nz/#F!ZPQlGZJQ!jU1poX1a5BJn48uM6urQQA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've just recently picked up D&D with my group of total noobs to roleplaying games.
How do you go about roleplaying situations as the DM when the players suggest they will do something utterly idiotic? Like last time they attacked a constable in a city (veteran stats) and got the whole city to attack them. How do I stop that as the DM?

Also if a player suggest to do something how do I best react?
>The chest/door is locked
>I try to smash it open
I thought about this later and should let them roll a Strength check and maybe have fragile items like potions inside the chest break when it's smashed. Any tips?

We were on page 9.

What happens if you give a creature immunity to nonmagical attacks, immunity to 7th level spells and lower and at will domain spells?

Druids
are
GHEY!

Breaking into chests and doors is covered by the rules. Page 246 of the DMG.
A wooden chest, for instance, has AC 15, and 10 HP on average, a door would be 18 HP.

Having the fragile objects inside break would make sense.
Personally I'd note anything fragile inside, and have any excess damage be applied to the things inside. (So if you hit the chest for 8 damage, and then hit it again for another 8, you'd do 6 damage to things inside, breaking the pair of potion bottles inside)

As for the "common sense" problem, I'd have them roll a very easy wisdom check, and then give them a warning on a success. "Do you really want to get into a fight with the entire city guard?"

So I posted an earlier version of this here a few days ago and finally go around to taking some of the criticisms you lot had for me and implementing them.

Version 0.4
The main method of regaining Quintessence is now a natural attack that is not limited in number of uses a day.

The penalty for an empty Quintessence pool now no longer interacts with the Exhaustion system, which should in theory make emptying your pool less immediately punishing, and make recovery less of a pain.

Things I'd like feedback on:
- The Quintessence pool abilities. There was no general consensus on whether they were too strong or too weak the first time.

-The amount of maximum hit point reduction one takes over time for extended periods with an empty pool. I feel like it would quickly kill a low-level PC (though that is consistent with the racial flavour) and might be TOO punishing to be worth playing the race. However, I also feel as though lowering the maximum hit point reduction over time would make it so the penalty for having an empty pool would become not punishing enough for higher level PCs. Or is this a non-issue?

-Formatting and structure. I'd like to remain as close to the source formatting as possible and I've tried to do so, but I will inevitably miss things.

Thank you for your time and whatever feedback you choose to give, Veeky Forums, peace.

it's shit

Is anyone playing stone sorcerer? is it good/fun?

Yeah I like that.
It's just a matter of imagination and coming up with things on the spot. I'm not very good at either but the wisdom check definitely seems like a good way to tell them not to attack someone.
Or even a perception check
>You notice there are armed adventurers gathering outside due to the mess you are making
>Are you sure you want to continue making a scene?

>stoned sorcerer

Dumb homebrew poster.

My review of this piece of homebrew: vocaroo.com/i/s1Qjfbz4aMat

>stupid suggestions
First, figure out if they are joking. If not, play through their bad decisions with logical conclusions, up to and including characters getting arrested or killed. Don't have a single townsfolk NPC be so powerful he can solo wipe the group, but a reasonable guard force would attack in force and in large numbers depending on city size to repel the group of bandits your party has become. Throw a series of 3-5 hard guard encounters against them. If they survive they can escape the town, but are soon wanted fugitives with wanted fliers across the nation.

If you dont punish intentionally dumb decisions, they have no reason to stop making them.

>react to non-standard problem solving
DM has to be on their toes, and react judiciously and quickly to nonstandard solutions to keep game pace flowing. It's usually better to have a quick and dirty reaction now versus looking in the rulebooks for the 'right' answer 5 minutes from now.

In the example given:
>moderate DC pick lock
>hard+ DC pry open with crowbar str check
Someone with bludgeoning weapon tries to bust it open, without looking at books I would do attack roll and damage. Describe the effect of each die (accuracy of hitting just the lock easier DC/AC, if the damage from a single hit is enough to pop it). Replace some of the gold inside with some broken potion vials, increasing the amount lost ifthey have to take multiple swings at it or if they wiff and accidentally slam the chest itself. Just don't break magic items in this way or your players will get severely assmad.

I think it's cool. I'd play it if my DM wasn't a dick, good job user!

>DM has to be on their toes, and react judiciously and quickly to nonstandard solutions to keep game pace flowing. It's usually better to have a quick and dirty reaction now versus looking in the rulebooks for the 'right' answer 5 minutes from now.

This is damn right.

samefag

Keep telling your self that pal.

SAMEFAG

I just like races with natural attacks and think it's cool how this one rewards you for it. I'd post a happy animal picture with this, but then I couldn't prove my innocence.

>What's wrong with you?
Who knows.

>Why even make a race like this? Why not just refluff something?
For fun? To play a race of artificial humanoids that don't look like robots with down syndrome or faceless industrial waste people?

Who knows. Here's hoping that suicide attempt goes well though.

pic related.

I can tell they were not joking. I ended up letting them yield once the guards overwhelmed them. Threw them in a prison and took most of their extra money they had on them for breaking the peace. I think they got the hint from that.

Right I understand I should try come up with quick reactions instead of pondering for a while. I've watched some of the Critical Role guys playing D&D and hopefully I'll pick up some tricks on improv trough them.

And on the lockpicking yeah I saw what they did Critical Role games. A character with no thieves tools tried to pick a lock so the DM let him roll to pick it at disadvantage and probably with a harder DC as well. It's a matter of improvisation and I will definitely improve as I run more adventures, I will hopefully also design one of my own soon-ish to get a feel for making adventures.

We've also made a deal since there's only 4 of us playing (one is DM). We will probably change DM every now and then (one shot adventures mostly). The DM will play his characters but should keep metagaming to a minimum and the character basically just keeps up with the party and can help with combat and skill checks but he isn't allowed to tell the party to stop because he 'smells' a trap.

Is there any homebrew you did like? How'd you feel about the Martial Options one that was posted way way back?

Anyone?

When revamping stat blocks or making new ones for creatures with weapons, do you build the damage from the STR/DEX stats and the weapon, or do you just make up damage numbers to fit what you want?

Is there any reason for doing the former over the latter?

What's your favorite cantrip or spell from the new UA?

strawpoll.me/12670701
strawpoll.me/12670701
strawpoll.me/12670701

What's stopping you from building with or without the rules guidelines?

it's good

Could go either way, really. If you have an expected CR for this creature, you work with the DMG table to figure out its average DPR, and thus which damage dice it should use and how big should be its attacking stat.

On the other hand, you can just build a creature however you wish, using weapons or some arbitrary dice for damage, then later you calculate its CR and adjust as needed.

Wow that's some overly complex garbage. Most of it seems fine if overlyversatile and offers more abilities/shit than you should see in a singular race, but stackable effect on kill effects will never be and cannot be balanced.

Thanks m8
can you review it in a vocaroo?

Nothing stopping me as such. Following the system in the guide means for higher CR hostiles, you either have to make a powered up weapon (which means it could plausibly be looted) or put their stats up pretty high in order to get their damage up. Or use one of the various other options.

It's not a major concern, I was just wondering if there's any harm in fudging it and just declaring their damage is X.

Yeah, it's mostly stats vs. weapons I'm wondering about. I don't like building new creatures, there seems like a lot that could wrong. Mostly I just use existing stat blocks, but I feel it's worth learning these things.

uhh ok i guess

It's immune to those things. And can do that. What are you looking for?

>user posts shitty homebrew
>Gets told is shit
>Begins autistic screeching and accusations of samefaggotry
EVERY TIME
Remember that fag who posted his playable undead race with five hundred resistances and immunities? And than began feuding with the whole general?

>Remember that fag who posted his playable undead race with five hundred resistances and immunities? And than began feuding with the whole general?

You're going to have to be more specific.

Another good reminder on why homebrew/3pp is cancer.

WARNING

this is a terrible review and I do ramble

vocaroo.com/i/s0RFyaqYh8eu

it's okay user not everyone is smart

>Overly complex.
A fair criticism, however I'm not really sure what to cut in order to make the class less complex.

>too versatile, more abilities than one race should grant.
Versatility was the point, though I tried to balance that by making the abilities not that impactful. Advantage on one save per short rest at a large cost is the most powerful ability they have.

>stackable on-kill effects aren't balanced.
Would you mind clarifying what you mean? The only on-kill effect is a way to refill your Quintessence. Do you mean the temp hp?

More like
>user posts shitty homebrew
>gets told it's shit
>wait there's actually a positive post in there
>everybody else begins screeching and accusations of samefaggotry.

Oh my god. That homebrew was salvageable but it just turned into a shitshow and he refused to give up.

>A fair criticism, however I'm not really sure what to cut in order to make the class less complex.
maybe making creatively designed, fun classes is harder than it looks and you should just give up because you certainly don't have the knack for it

>everyone is autistic
>everyone but me

What are the best martial memebrews/3pp?
Beyond damage dice...?

Well I like your posts.
Not the homebrew as it stands, but having something to talk about is nice.
Also, being able to take criticisms without becoming a screeching retard is something rare in this parts.

I truly enjoy your reviews. But what about the Martial Dice mechanics?

Goddamn you fucks, 5eg really has fallen far.
Give him actual fair critiques. Homebrewer, stop being autistic.
Everyone stop screeching and curb your autism. God fucking damn it.

I never said I wasn't dude. I'm probably somewhere on the spectrum, my friend, but I've never been tested.

Everything gets better with practice? Also, it's a race, referring to it as a class was a slip up on my part. Sorry.

OK. I mean, this is Veeky Forums, I would have been disappointed if I hadn't gotten at least some type of shit thrown my way. Plus I did decide to post at early-as-fuck EST.

Playing a oath of ancients pally, constantly trying to not allow my party kill people who don't need to die. It's like wrangling a herd of cats.

I mean I tend to ramble and don't play martials, but it reminds me of the expertise dice a bit from the early playtest. It's a good way for martials to get some spell-like abilities and makes certain skills such as Religion more interesting and thematic.

Want me to print out and cum tribute the homebrew for you?

"Why medieval social structure can't die? I'm giving them glorious magical communism."

Should I play super edgy Shadow Sorcerer taken to 11, a Circle of Dreams Druid or a Light Cleric?

how do you get the quintessence back?

Light Cleric

>calling your race a class
So you recognize that there's a problem

>On the quality of the abilities
One is the Goliath's big good trait, one is better than any racial ability in existence (A stronger effect than Haflings have more often), and the last either does nothing or saves campaigns.

>On on-kill effects and stacking
First of all, temp hp is a beautiful boy that never did anything wrong. Not-stacking is fucking built into it, which is why any free repeatable abilities want to look to them as an example of what they should be.

The (technically *my*) issue with on kill effects is that 5e is built around an adventuring day for its resources and resource recovery and abilities that don't interact with the adventuring day, which either means that they don't line up with expectations for how often you'll be able to utilize a given ability/ if you want them to line up with aforementioned adventuring day, you can ignore the bullshit additional mechanics and just reflect the intended balance and expectations in other ways.
How I'd fix it:
Remove Unnerving. Make Soul Drain into a Lizardfolk bite + ability reflavor or something much closer to it. Remove the Quintessense point pool and all of its consequences. Make the Quintessense abilities weaker and have something along the lines of "once per short rest you may do ONE of:" or make them signifigantly weaker and have "once per x rest you may do Each of:", perhaps taking inspiration from the Tielfing/etc. spellcasting progretion or the Firbolg abilities. Justify speaking Draconic.

Yesterday I asked about minis for PCs of uncommon races and was pointed to heroforge. I checked it out, and I can get pretty much what I'm looking for. My question is how good is the finished product on those?The "premium plastic" material says there are some visible layer lines. Is that something easy enough to clean up before painting?

I really wish they made the Potent Cantrip and Divine Strike a choice. I'd much prefer to be an Elven Light Cleric with a Sword then one casting Toll the Dead on repeat..

As you said, lots of options. If the monster is bigger than Medium, his weapon could deal twice, thrice or even four times as many damage dice. Then there are traits like Brute, which just flat out give another damage die. And then there's multiattack, as many as needed. And then features that give extra damage on hit, like sneak attack, martial advantage, poison, etc.

do you have nicknames for the other people in your party, Veeky Forums?

in my party there's woody wolfjob (druid that wears wooden armor and transforms into a wolf, his portrait is wolfjob), exxon-mobil (his name was exreal or something) gobbo (filthy goblin), and fredrick (his name is fred yeb)

I'm sure you could ask your DM, its not too big a deal.

Lads, would you bed this little Calishite fire sorcerer who has a branding fetish? She's... too hot to handle!

I use Heroforge for most of my groups miniatures. I don't buy into their more expensive models (the clear or brass) and I sometimes ... Sometimes. Find lines on them, but It's pretty easy to clean up by smoothing them over.

What I find common, is the more shit I slap onto the model, the less Lines it has. It's strange, I know. But I've seen this happen quite a bit. So my advice, don't go basic. Try to kit those fuckers out in full plate + cloak + Sheathed weapons on them.

Nah, I just value your opinion, and wanted to see your views on that part specifically since I'm considering homebrewing something similar.

That's fucking stupid.

Well if she was white and a man, I'd let him brand me because I'm into that.

the nose knows

okay

you're stupid

???
WTF are you talking about? I'm playing a decent dude with will powered celestial/nature magic and weapons training.

no anons we are stupid

The Hobgoblin in my game gets called Gobbo a lot.

What the fuck is wrong with 5eg these past few threads?

Your mom
that's what

So the new UA thing was basically nothing ?

You need to be over 18 to post on Veeky Forums.

Awesome cantrips and some cool spells that'll only come up a bit..

Naw it gives some fun new spells for classes when they are just starting out

No, it was a bunch of spells that were almost all really cool and good. Best UA in weeks as far as I'm concerned.

HEALING ELIXIR

Are they already in the 5etools ?

Too many random caps

The need to get the last hit on enemies to keep yourself alive will naturally cause tension in the party, especially if a party has more than one of these things.

hello

Why don't wizards just get something like this at level one, so silly to waste a spell slot on it.

>Mage Armor
>While you are not wearing any armor or wielding a shield, your Armor Class equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.

So don't. Just take Shield so you can cast it when you need it or be an Enchanter for their cool level 6.

It's also because that would make them have higher AC then Rogues and Warlocks without giving anything up.

Soul Drain. You must drop an enemy with a challenge rating higher than 1/2 to 0 hit points with the ability. You regain 1/4th (min. 1) of the creature's CR in quintessence.

>So you recognize that there's a problem.
Yeah. I mean, I posted it knowing it was some flavor of over or undertuned, and leaning much more toward the over side.

That and I'm working on other stuff.

>The quality of the pool abilities is too high, either rivaling or exceeding other races in their own defining feature.
Noted.

>resources gained from killing an enemy do not line up with the expectations the system has about balance as it focuses its resources around the adventuring day instead.
OK, I see what you're saying. I tried to alleviate some of that by making it so the pool abilities still relied on the adventuring day resources.

>make soul drain into an unarmed strike replacement ability.
Soul Drain is actually just Gift of the Aetherborn, except with cantrip scaling, finesse, and the quintessence subsystem bolted on (the finesse and scaling were attempts at quality of life changes on my part.) I had actually toyed around with making it an unarmed strike replacement, but I'd worried that it'd make it too appealing of an option for monks.

>Remove the pool and its consequences.
Not something I was keen on doing, but it seems like I will wind up having to do anyways.

>Tiefling spellcasting progression
Which one? Abyssal and Infernal are quite different.

>too many random caps
If I remove the quintessence pool, that will likely resolve this entirely, but good looking out.

>Requiring the killing blow will cause interparty tension.
I had considered this, but I had come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be that much of a problem. Could be wrong.

>Boo hoo muh precious level 1 slots

You get arcane recovery, quit your whining.

NOO!

trove link is dead

Which.

>bit do/5egtrove

it's down retard

This homebrew is so fucking bad

Here you go.
mega.nz/#F!ZPQlGZJQ!jU1poX1a5BJn48uM6urQQA
I asked you dingus.

Also, just import it.

Thanks!

Why is it bad? Don't be a tard.

We had Captain Bluebell, who was a blue dragonborn who kept trying to buy a boat.
My character referred to a Lady Moonstar as "Sparkles" and it stuck.
Ithtiel sounded like FTL so we call him "FTL: Faster than Light" quite a lot.

One of our party is called "One" because they started with a readymade character sheet for "Human Barbarian One".

This general is only good for the trove anymore anyways. The majority of posts, from what I see, are either from theorycrafters or autistic folks screeching at anything that could possibly be perceived as infestation from the Pathfinder general.