WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuf Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Threads:

I'm trying to convert roboute gulliman(?) into lion el'jonson, and this is my first serious attempt on working with greenstuff, and it's breaking my balls and spirit. My entire model and work place is covered in vaseline because i wanna avoid fingerprints on the greenstuff...

looks bretty good thus far user, keep at it

Not bad! You can use a brush that's wet with a bit of water to smooth out the surface of the GS without deforming it.

Hope that helps.

Anyone got anything from creature creations before? Thinking about picking this up to use as a nurgle daemon prince with wings

>spilled my pot of Devlan Mud
Fuck!

Also, getting back into the hobby after a gods-only-know long hiatus. First model, watching all the Duncan tutorials to help with painting.

i hope the photo isn't too bad

I just picked up a couple packs of WizKids' new pre-primered minis. Word to the wise: make sure you scrub the shit out of them. My paint did not want to stick on the one I started, and I wanted to get started on it right away and didn't scrub it. Huge mistake. Otherwise, the details are okay for what they are. I bought the pack of Kobolds, and the facial details are muddled, but I assume its because they're small. The whole "leveled up adventurer" is a cool idea, but you can totally get away with using them as two different characters. Overall, 7/10. If they continue to put out minis, while keeping old stock "in print" they'll definitely give Reaper a run for their money. At my FLGS, they were actually cheaper or nearly identical in price than Bones.

I don't have any WIP or completed pics because I'm at work

Reposting
Hows my greenstuffing?

So I figured out the colour for most the model, any idea what to make the back part? Keep it the same skin tone as the top half or change it?

it's nice. What are your plans to do with this model, I'm curious?

Forgot pic

Did a little more magnetizing and started gluing on shoulders. I think it's impossible for me not to love these stupid bat helmets.

How big is he in comparison to Artemis?

Does the mint in-box model of Artemis come with a helmet option?

Afaik it doesn't.
The helmets were part of the bitspack range for Inquisitor.
I know that there have been some inconsistencies with the exact contents of the Inquisitor miniatures though, it could be possible that later runs might have had it.
Usually you only get the unhelmeted version of him though.

The helmets are exceedingly rare these days.
It's the reason I'm asking if the plastic Gulliman fits in terms of scale, since he comes with a helmet.

Hey my fa/tg/uys, I saw a post on a sales page from a while back that had sold about someone doing a arbites conversion out of Admec + other bits, can anyone point out to me where they found the body/weaponry bitz from?
I'd like some cool arbites to use in my Only War campaign coming up and this conversion really struck my fancy even though it isn't 100% accurate.

I've always been a fan of silver, especially on blue.
looks nice, user!

Forgive me user, I don't think I specified, the picture in question is a conversion that I saw that is made out of different conversion parts that I'm not familiar with.
I was wondering if anyone was able to identify the body and weaponry of the mini.

that's a sister of silence

that's inquisitor greyfax with the crossbow part of the bolter ripped off

Finished up a batch of 20 Skitarii Vanguard and Rangers. Had these guys sitting on my desk for a while, was painting them all assembly line style and procrastinated finishing them for the last two months. Glad to have them done so I can move on to other projects, planning on the Imperial Triumvirate next.

The bodies the in the pictures you've posted are Inquisitor Greyfax and a Sister of Silence respectively. I'm not 100% on the weapons but I think they may be admech.

If you want to make some arbites, good sources of bits are the Genestealer Cults Neophytes (shotgun, webber pistol, nice armour), Skitarii (tasers, batons, pistols and augs), Tempestus Scions (for armour, mostly). If you wanted some female ones, add in the Sisters of Silence and you'd be set.

And some of the Rangers.

Holy shit user I've been scouring the internet and my dumb ass didn't even bother to check gee dubs.
Thanks user.

Going to buy a light primer so I have another priming option except black for the lighter paint schemes. Is the Vallejo 601 Grey Primer good (ie, not too dark so I can paint light colours straight over it) or is White better?

I'm leaning towards white since I'm not sure on how dark the Grey one will be.

If anyone is interested in pig iron miniatures, these heads I ordered came in.
They look pretty nice and pretty similar to gw metals

They're lead though, so watch out.

Really nice for 50 cents per head, got 40 for 20.

You sure they're lead? Their facebook says they cast in pewter.

Yeah, Packaging on the baggy it came in said contains lead.

it's usually a mixture of pewter and lead.
Considering how bright the metal is, I'd say the majority is probably pewter.

Making minis out of pure lead or mainly lead isn't really done anymore these days.

That mean it's a pewter mix with lead, not necessarily solid lead.
Usually no more than 5%

>Making minis out of pure lead or mainly lead isn't really done anymore these days.

Agreed. Lead is heavy, soft, toxic and cheap. Modern pewter is made mostly of tin which is shiny, (somewhat) brittle, and expensive. It's frequently mixed with bismuth and sometimes copper... and sometimes just a little bit of lead.

>They're lead though, so watch out.

Yes, gotta watch out so you don't accidentally eat one of your minis.

If you breathe in the dust from filing them down or get the dust on your fingers and then touch an orifice like your mouth or eyes it'll still get in.

Fitted on the head.
How's he look?

Spooky ghosts are coming along nicely

Let's try this again with a photo that isn't 2.5 megs...
Spooky ghosts are coming along nicely

doesn't look bad for me

Yknow. While the long flowing locks are a big part of the lions appearance,I feel like you could easily get by as long as you slap some bigass wings onto guilliman's helmet

>have 2 copies of the 4th edition CSM Codex
>one of them is really badly damaged and ripped, will propably have to throw it away
>look at my figure case, which I've planned on decorating for quite some time
>look back at the codex
>let'sfuckingdothis.jpg

I had the best idea ever. Time to do the other side, once the glue is dry.

>no company makes not-Imperial Army heads with tall fur hats and aquilas on them
>all you get in soviet hats with gas masks

Suffering.

interesting idea user, I like it

Rad.

Daily progress update:
Caught up the backpack to the rest of the primarch. Tonight I'm planning on getting the joints and cleaning some of the goofs onto the gold before I nuln oil the blue areas. Im thinking I'll do the toilet seats and other deets after I get the main armor 100%

Rad AF. I want a plastic case now just to do this.

noice

Absolutely heretical!

Thanks. The best part about it is, it was a cheap 10$ tool case I bought at a hardware store and it just happens to fit 3 layers of GW foam perfectly.

You put something over the paper to protect it from wear and tear after gluing? Either way it looks fucking rad. Rock on, fellow heretic.

A size comparison for the user in the last thread considering replacing their grail knights with Perry stuff. I wouldn't do it, they're great minis but much too slight. Most generous hat provided for comparison purposes.

Who was the painter that did the bright Orks and Tzeentch stuff?

Aaaand they're off.

fucking loaded brush technique, how does it work

>Who was the painter that did the bright Orks and Tzeentch stuff?

Louise Sudgen. Around here, she's referred to as SavageOrkAnon.

*looks at a spray can of purity seal*
*looks at the case*

I might have something.

I used to work in a Michaels, there's a few things you could get that would be able to seal that on, without marring the images on the paper. Simplest would be a little bottle of "mod podge", but if you want to go more heavy duty, there's some types of varnish that won't melt the paper.

>purity seal
That'll probably work too. Though I'd test it on some scrap paper, just to be sure.

Oh sure, I'll do some tests, still have to glue the other side tomorrow, and then wait a day before varnishing.
Wouldn't want to fuck it up after this much work.

I accidently black guy

Or he could glue a clear plastic cover over and around the paper. It'd be the easiest, safest method but not the most aesthetic.

Remember to matte varnish it, and then seal it with some plastic film, the kind you out on windows and shit.

Looking at your picture, I think I might have gotten an "original" veteran space marine then. I have 2 of the same model, yet one is much darker than the other standars colored metal I'm used to seeing.
I thought it was a recast, bu after seeing your pic...

So a friend of mine is a really big fan of Killing Floor, and I figured I'd make him a Patriarch since he's into figurines and stuff. However, I'm not all that great at sculpting things from scratch. Any suggestions for pieces and bits to use? Can be from any line, though I have an easier time getting hold of 40K where I live.

Does anyone have examples of Reilkland Fleshshade Gloss over Retributor armor? preferably on Stormcasts.

I can't find any example pictures of it in action and I didn't want to just start lathering it onto my models.

Mantic's Infected range, one of the bigger models is pretty much perfect for the Patriarch with a simple arm and leg swap.

>I'm tired of these motherfucking tyranids on these motherfucking ship!

we wuz imperiuals and shieet

There are all sorts of things that can discolor the various types of metals Citadel has used over the decades. There's really no telling if you're buying them second-hand. The first and most obvious is models that were previously painted but have now been stripped.

I forget, what was the real name of retributor armor? Ghenna's Gold?

I have a few sigmarines laying around, and I don't mind ruining them, so if you give me a few hours I could test for you.

You mean this one? Looks pretty nifty.

Gehenna's gold and retributor Armor aren't the same colour.
Retributor Armour and Stormcast silver are the new metallic paints that are actually pretty fucking good.

retributor is a new, brighter gold, ghenna is old and darker.

I thought they just renamed a bunch of old metallics after sigmarine ranks?

Eh, can't test for you then. Sorry m80.

Thanks

nope, they put out a few shiny new paints to go along with them. retributor gold and stormhost silver iirc, both the shiniest of the two metals.

The way he's holding the pistol is breaking my immersion.

Nice work, user. Love the Plasma effect.

>are actually pretty fucking good.

I'd go so far as to say they're amazing. Best metallics from any line I've painted with in a long time.

Five as of the release of stormhost silver, skullcrusher brass and fulgurite copper

IIRC they're basically all stronger versions of older, really thin equivalents

How would I go about casting things in pewter/lead?

I fucking hate this model so much. It's so busy and I just had to assemble it into the torso before doing anything with painting. Least the bottom half I was able to paint nicely.

Fucking Ballsarius Cock

>RTV heat resistant silicone
>pewter
>gasburner like for camping if you don't want to do it inside
>a spoon thingy of which I forgot the name

The usual rules for casting apply in terms of escape channels, but you might want to preheat the mold before casting. You probably still have a few bad pulls before the mold is hot enough to not cool the metal before it has filled the mold.

Personally I switched to resin cause it's cleaner, easier, faster, less dangerous, I can do it indoors, at night and in my bathrobe.

Anyway personally I think resin is a better way to go cause resin is cheaper and considering the amounts you are gonna cast for personal use a little goes a long way.

Anybody got any tips for bitz sites?

What is this supposed to be in the catachan command squad spure?

Two jars of gram grams homemade preservatives.

binoculars, I believe. Or two bottles of torp juice for victory parties

Piss jars.

"canisters"

they look about the right size for the grenades in the grenade launcher, but could be just about anything

binoculars.

What do you guys think about my freshly put-together Sorcerer of Nurgle?

They're filled with Emperor Juice - a tasty IG drink ration that is filled with vitamins and nutrients that any command squad needs in the field.

Doesn't really read as a sorcerer. An Aspiring Champion, maybe.

spare promethium flasks for the flamer is another possibility

YEAH BUDDY NURGLINGS

Reminds me of the art from Hordes of Chaos.

And I agree it doesn't really read as a sorcerer but a shield and armor are something chaos sorcerers have access too.

Are the citadel painting guides even worth it? Do they give any advice that just watching tutorials online won't teach me?

No.

Check the op.

Citadel painting guides are shit. All they do is meme washes and technicals.

Any tips on how to make stuff look hastily painted over by your dudes without just looking like you yourself did a sloppy job?

'S for my Deathskull army and their habit of looting shit, slapping blue paint on a saying "iz an' 'eirloom, 'ad it all along"

My Lord is now getting paint. So far, though, mold lines spotted. Like on the sigil. Also, despite a fair bit of sanding, I'm somewhat disappointed in the cape texture. I'll show that after painting, but right now it's obvious I need to get better at sanding greenstuff.
Otherwise, though, it's going well