MTG Modern General

Anyone else feel like the powerlevel for this set is really, really bad? I mean even by standard's standards these cards just seem weak as fuck nigger.

Cycle Lands might see some play in some grindy ass control or maybe some Loam build but in all reality they're not meta defining. Some lands always find their way in desu.

Playing? Hating? Brewing? Sideboard tech? Memes?

How much better do you think new sets would be if they didn't have to waste mythic slots on unplayable shitty Planeswalkers?

I personally find Planeswalkers lazy as fuck, they push out so many they're rarely playable or interesting.

Also infect babbies confirmed retarded without perfect knowledge lmao.

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

New fucking Gideon's have arrived

You almost got me.

Playable or not?

Finally a good white card. It's been years.

Alright boyos, here it is, the elusive and mysterious deck. Includes full sideboard plus alternates to adapt to almost any meta.

Very playable in my opinion, I think he's going to be a 4 of in control decks, he negates a big threat from the opponent, and literally has to be answered

Maybe hatebears?

Scooze is just better

>Anyone else feel like the powerlevel for this set is really, really bad?
I honestly haven't really looked at the set yet, but that's the nature of the beast. It's better if they make cards that aren't powerful enough than to make cards that are too powerful, so they try to err on the side of caution. Sometimes they go too far and sometimes they miss something (or put something in to sell the set, you know what I mean), but that's the general idea.

This proves that OP is full of shit.

>1 Good planeswalker
>Still just a shitty Gideon Planeswalker
>Won't be good in Modern
No

Dies to Bolt and Decay

>shitty
Nigga you're stupid. This is whites Lotv. Shit is going to be super annoying.

How does this effect ad nauseam? Do they play a split of Gideon and Unlife? he gives a potential beatdown backup plan while playing a similar role to unlife. He's a bit easier to kill though.

Doesn't die to bolt if he comes down and pluses, have you ever played with Lotv or JtmS?

You have priority to plus it after cast. Bolt won't work unless the player is dumb enough not to plus it.

So it exiles everything else, but the cards that are relevant? Seems complete and utter shit.

prevents delve and shuts off delirium. Still dont think its modern playable when you have stuff like relic instead, the 2/2 isnt going to be worth the drawbacks

Only in early game.

GotT is good, but he isn't the white LotV like has been mentioned. A big factor of why cards like Lotv, JtmS, JVP, and Nahiri are so good as 4 ofs is they strip excess copies from your hand for value. GotT can never do that. He is objectively more powerful than a card like Nahiri, but to clunky to play in a control shell, and where else does he fit?

It doesn't give card advantage or kill anything. Only time I can see it being good is as a late game finisher. I guess it stalls pretty well, but in the end you have to already be controlling the board state to an extent to have him stick.

are you autismo?

Did I say anything incorrect?

His post was correct

Accurate?

Extremely.

Kek, it says any gideon, that is retarded. It's annoying how they push planeswalkers so hard.

There are currently 89 planes walkers including this Gideon, could you imagine if instead we had 89 actual interesting magic cards that got these slots and development time?

Don't you think this guy is strong?

>Update
No he's fucking trash

Is she good enough for Modern?

Kinda. It's not that she's bad, it's that she has no good deck to go in

>Update
What did he mean by this?

Is U/B Eldrazi or B/R Eldrazi still viable in modern?

What a shitty ult.

Omniscience is shitty?

As a planeswalker ult yeah.

Might be worth something in zoo

Does this have potential?

This is the modern thread

Mardu vehicles is modern playable though

What advantages does it have over any other aggro list?

No it doesn't. Mardu vehicles is only good because it is completely unanswered in standard.

>Where else does he fit
Seems very good against ad nauseum

I'm not seeing how he is good against ad nauseum

and in ad nauseam. Ad naus mirror matches are about to get even more retarded.

Top kek

he only helps vs lab maniac, still dies the same against lightning storm

>still dies the same against lightning storm
How?

But it doesn't.

You can't use planeswalker abilities at instant speed and you can't target something just because you know it's name

What are you talking about?

You can throw him down on turn 3 and ultimate immediately. Ad nauseum doesn't have a way to interact with it really. Unless they can remove your Gideon you can't lose, and they can't win. They only run one lightning storm so they can't use it to kill your Gideon and you. They would have to kill your Gideon with lightning storm and then play lab maniac + serum visions in the same turn. So ad nauseum + angel's grace + lightning storm + lab maniac + serum visions = 12 mana. That should slow them down long enough for you to bash in with Gideon enough times for the win.

I'm retarded. I didn't even notice his ult is a zero

What the actual fuck.

You didn't know this? Wow

How important are Hierarchs to Abzan Company? Is there another card that can work in that slot or are the turn 3 cocos too stronk? Looking to buy into it and shaving the hierarchs off means I don't have to wait until my next paycheck.

No I mean, what the actual fuck are you talking about? Nothing in Ad Nauseam can interact with a planeswalker on the board.

I mean, you could run Avacyn's Pilgrim if you really wanted a budget replacement. The other obvious choice is BoP.

Birds of Paradise. Weaker because it doesn't have exalted, but it's almost as good and a whole lot cheaper. Plus it's a flying blocker and can tap for black.

This seems absolutely fucking nuts. Still not as good as some T3 Planeswalkers tho.

Seriously ikr. Fucking tron.

Wait, why do planeswalkers get priority over instants?

If you bolt a 3 counter planeswalker, it should die before it can activate a sorcery speed ability. Did they have to add a special planeswalker rule to make this not so?

Please don't talk about priority when you don't know how it works. The active player receives priority after something resolves or the phase changes. So when their planeswalker resolves, they can activate it before their opponent gets priority to cast that Lightning Bolt. And since loyalty counters are a cost to activating the ability, it ticks straight up.

They didn't change ANYTHING in the rules. You just don't know the rules.

>I don't understand priority

Ask yourself this:
After a planeswalker spell resolves, who gets Priority?
The active player, who is usually the player who cast the planeswalker.

So what, planeswalker abilities count as mana speed because they're snowflakes?

I haven't played magic since early mirrodin. Back in my day giant growth worked upon declaring defenders and the game was better for it!

>So what, planeswalker abilities count as mana speed because they're snowflakes?
Kill yourself my man.

Planeswalkers are bad and you should feel bad for what magic has become.

t. Someone who doesn't understand how priority works

Instant cards aren't "cast whenever" they're "cast when you have priority", and on your opponent's turn you only have priority when it is passed to you during a phase transition or while a spell is resolving. If the active player wanted to they could put ten spells and ten abilities on the stack before they pass you priority and you get the option to counter their first one because they can hold priority.

You're just stupid. It works the same way with a creature that has an activated ability. In order to do something at intNt speed you generally need to respond to something on the stack. When permanents enter the battlefield their entrance doesn't go on the stack. You also get priority before switching phases, resolving a planeswalker (or a creature) falls under neither of those scenarios.

You already want to be running at least 3 birds in abzan coco. Nothing replaces nobles. Not well, at least. You can throw in any dork but it won't do the same job that noble will.

Heirarch is good but the difference between it and a regular dork is vastly overstated. Why give your Goyf exalted when your mana dork can just have 1 power to swing with?

>Why give your Goyf exalted when your mana dork can just have 1 power to swing with?
Oh God. What am I reading

>Why give your Goyf exalted when your mana dork can just have 1 power to swing with?
Because then you can't use your dork for mana. Also you risk losing it.

I don't think heirarch is irreplaceable if you're on a budget, but it's really fucking good.

I assume it's because it's easier for creatures that aren't your mana dork to get damage through.

Oh also because you can't swing with the mana dork you just used to ramp, dingus.

What are you swinging with in the early turns?

Only with Bushwacker.

with the hierarch, dingus

If you don't need the mana and don't have better options, T2 swing with Heirarch does just as much damage as a T2 swing with Avacyn's Pilgrim or Llanowar Elves. It also doesn't die to a 1/1 chump.

>HEIRARCH IS GOOD BECAUSE IT CAN PUMP WHILE PROVIDING MANA
>But you're rarely swinging with things while you still need the mana anyway
>IT'S THE HEIRARCH THAT'S SWINGING BECAUSE YOU DON'T NEED THE MANA DUH
Veeky Forums, everyone.

What are they chumping with? The only dorks people play are 0/1s :^)

So he dies to removal? Doesn't sound all that op,but still very nice indeed.

>>But you're rarely swinging with things while you still need the mana anyway
Literally nobody said this. It's a valid argument but it wasn't brought up.

>What are they chumping with? The only dorks people play are 0/1s
Man I don't even know what you're talking about. It seems like your implying token decks don't exist but I'm not sure.

Since we're back to talking about Modern, is Skred a boring deck to play? I just need something in a student's budget.

Personally, I like it. It's what I started with and it's pretty easy to upgrade it over time until you're looking at a 2 or 3 color burn deck.

Tokens don't play dudes on turn 1. I'm being baited so hard right now.

>Tokens don't play dudes on turn 1.
That's why we're talking about turn 2. Going second is a thing, yeah?

Hierarch is strictly better because not only does it tap for 3 colors instead of 1, it pumps your creatures. All for 1 mana.

It even pumps them when you tap it for mana. No other card can do all of that. It is simply too efficient. There have been countless games where that 1 extra damage has led me to a win.

I was never arguing that Heirarch wasn't better. Only that the difference between it and other dorks is vastly overstated. My god you autistic fucks are so black and white.

It''s really not overstated, though. It is a massive difference.

Don't even act condescending after outing yourself as a retard who can't tell the difference between hierarch and any other dork. Actually neck yourself

>Only that the difference between it and other dorks is vastly overstated
Yeah. Except it's not. Unless you're talking about it being overstated by people saying that there's literally no reason to use another dork, which was never a claim pushed here.

The difference between heirarch and another dork literally wins games. That's not an overstatement.

Ok Veeky Forums, post em'

You people must've screamed audibly when that Swans deck won a large event. A sub-optimal deck outperforming decks with TOP TIER cards in them? He must've been cheating!

He was.

that one suits storm more imo

Sub-optimal is fine. Strictly worse is only justifiable if you're on a budget. Money's the only reason to use other dorks (besides birds which you should be running anyways) over heirarchs because the ONLY thing avacyn's pilgrim does better is let you swing with multiple at once, which shouldn't be happening very often at all.

I think you have autism m8. It's time to stop posting.

>I have nothing to refute their argument. Better make a witty comparison to another deck that managed to win!

It's clear you don't understand how good noble is. You can just admit it.

>Strictly worse is only justifiable if you're on a budget
It's fine if you just don't give a fuck.