Did Samurai Jack have the best setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-TbZurasU
youtube.com/watch?v=HC6hlEWi2jE
youtube.com/watch?v=Bdjb6__goC8
youtube.com/watch?v=LWtc-Hpk8tg
youtube.com/watch?v=DtTQ-8npkWY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If by 'best' you mean 'most easily adaptable' then maybe.

The actual setting for Samurai Jack almost doesn't exist thanks to how kitchen sink it is. It exists purely as a backdrop for Jack's conflict with Aku, and therefore is about as deep as a large puddle. It works great for the episodic and personal journey of Jack but there isn't much to the setting beyond what we see directly in the show.

>Great excuse to use a fake offensive accent

SJWs actually think pretty highly of Phil LaMarr, impressed by his ability to use weeb inflection without dipping into Micky Rooney impressions

>> Martials and casters are balanced

Doesn't Jack (a fighter) defeat everything he comes across?

Yeah, because he's higher level, not because of an innate imbalance issue.

yeah it can't be racist because he's black :^)

nah, just kidding, he does a really good job of it. when I first watched the show I thought it was voiced by an actual japanese man (like Aku is)

Guys, I have the strangest feeling. I feel strange words backing up from my throat--
>SKIBBIDY DOOBITY BEEP DABBITY BAP BOOP BAP--
Guys, I can't control it! Run before I--
>DIBBITY DAB, BABE, SKIBBITY DABBITY DAB

>[scats]

I FEEL THE SCAT OVERTAKING ME

> COME ON, JACK, WHIP IT OUT, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

Some would argue thats exactly the kind of setting good for a D&D campaign. A cool backdrop for awesome adventures. Most players dont give a shit about 99% of the setting beyond immediately relevant shit.

Like aku was, now he's voiced by Greg Baldwin

May the world always remember Mako Iwamatsu

It's important to note that Jack was already at a double-digit level when he was flung back in time, having had several adventures under his belt prior.

I don't remember there being a whole lot of magic in the the show, compared to technology. When jack does encounter a strong magic user, he gets flung out of time

He lost to entire armies of robots like twice, got defeated by siren things and needed the Scotsman to save him and got fucking DESTROYED by the blue guardian.

There were also a few fights where he would have lost without backup.

Even that guardian asswhooping failed to compare to what he got at the hands of the minions of Set.

I'd forgotten about that.

I hear he totally would have lost to pic related but felt intimidated and cheated.

>dean23
STORYTIEM, how many dean pictures do you even have?

>Just started watching Samurai Jack for the first time (Except for the occasional episode when I was 10 or something) a few nights ago
>Dat art style
>Dat voice acting

HNNNNNG this show is so comfy.

The following three are excellent episodes, probably some of the best in the series, if you're not too worried about watching every episode in the series in order.

>Jack and the Lava Monster
youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-TbZurasU
>Jack and the Haunted House
youtube.com/watch?v=HC6hlEWi2jE
>Seasons of Death
youtube.com/watch?v=Bdjb6__goC8

Are you me bro?
Haunted House was and is a god damn masterpiece and no one can convince me otherwise.

I was in the same boat a couple months ago, it's good shit.

Why have see seen Norse, poo in loo, and kangz gods, but no Nipponese gods?

He traveled across the world as he grew up.

>no Nipponese gods?

Name 1 japanese wolf god

The one you're going to say has no connections to wolves outside of a really good game

The SAM MOO RAIH was truly the strongest champion of the universe.

youtube.com/watch?v=LWtc-Hpk8tg

It does, the episode where he first encounters Aku powered bots has them. Forgot the name but a scientist builds some bots for Aku as a bribe. Aku gets the death bots, the scientists gets to keep his villages. Of course being Aku, backstabbery happens.

> Great excuse to use a fake offensive accent

My DH group just kinda does this anyway. For instance our administratum nerd is basically just Tuong Lu Kim.

The Minions of Set episode is fucking great.

It's also a giant, really dumb pun!

I got them from some other user a while ago, they aren't numbered properly.

I have 58 (though some of them are various faces he makes at the diner scene with the squirrel). The numbers go up to 72 and not all of them are numbered. Pic related, for example.

Aku himself gave him a thorough ass whooping
youtube.com/watch?v=DtTQ-8npkWY
The only reason Jack isn't dead is cause he has an artifact level magic item

Horo.

Where's the sword, Jack?

7th Edition Gamma World would make excellent rules to play Samurai Jack. The storyline is that something weird happened with the Large Hadron Collider in 2012 and every possible alternate reality converged into Gamma World, thus allowing for any character or monster. It's not that big a stretch to think that Aku had something to do with that.

Those people would be wrong because that's the best setting for player who don't want to be invested in exploring it. Some players are driven by wanting to finding things out and a well fleshed setting with layers of content is better for them. Some other players just want hack'n slash and the least the setting get in the way of that, better.

There isn't a majorly dominant crowd so we can't say what's best for the majority, let alone best for all.

i recently rewatched the first seasons and cought myself crying at 2 in the morning because of the lava monster episode.

>believing the vast majority of players give a shit about elaborately built settings and don't simply want to just kill things and get loot
You shouldn't lie to yourself user

Don't you go *whack*,

no more no more no more no more

He said specifically there is no majority one way or another.

And he would be wrong

Oh? Oh? Ohohohohoh!
Don't tell me, baby!

Isn't he multiclassed into literally every martial class?

His DM let him make a gestalt class, but he has to go through a setting where the DM's evil is law.

>0% weeb
It's as weeb as it is possible to get

Samurai Jack actually gave me an idea for a setting. It's kind of kitchen sinky, but not in a way where everything meshes together.

The basis of the idea is that it takes place on a mega-planet. A planet several times larger than the size of Earth, but not with all of it populated. There would be giant highly advanced city-states, tribals living in great tracts of largely undisturbed wilds, and various races that have evolved to survive in the massive biomes.

Not sure what I'll do with magic yet, but it'll probably be something where it's mysterious and rare, and regarded as just a fairy tale by the more advanced peoples.

No space stuff. Not even all of the planet would be explored yet.

Yeth

hello edgy contrarian who has no idea what weeb means

I wonder if he's still innocent now that he's got kiddo blood on his hands

He's indubitably still good, but is he truly innocent in a sense of purity? Pure good? He's entirely justified, but he's still stained with the blood of people who, really, had no choice

What kid? She's an adult.

Eh, he saw them as kids I'd assume. And he's killed at least 4 to my recollection

They were all adults. He was just a bit shellshocked because he's never killed a human before. He gave them the chance to run away. Not once, but twice. He even confirmed that they were going to stay and fight. They made their choice, and they faced the consequences.

dint kill some humans in the merc ep?

Gendy confirmed they didn't die.

>flavour of the month meme shit

Wait which mages were there?

Aren't they all 17?