roleplay an evil character

> roleplay an evil character
> always regret what you have done and lose will to continue
Who else just can't into evil?

I'm right there with you, buddy. Always feel guilty when I treat imaginary people badly.

I can do evil so long as its cartoon super villain evil.

I'm not trying to edgefag but if you kill all who you wrong, then you don't have to feel bad, or atleast as bad as leaving them around in their ruined life

But as you kill them, you leave their family and friends to suffer. To have no one suffer, you'd have to kill everyone.
Which actually makes for a great Buddhist-themed BBEG.

That's basically the plot to Evangelion.

Wasn't evangelion more about collective consciousness, and TANG shenanigans ?

Either cartoon over the top funny evil, or no evil at all for me. Even in fucking video games. If there's a possibility to be a fucking goody-two-shoes, then that is the only option I will ever do.

I just can't get into the mindset of a character who would want to do evil things. Even my "evil" characters are saving puppies and doing any heroic deed any good character would want to do.

Yup.

Although not Veeky Forums Fallout: New Vegas is the most glaringly obvious example of this for me.

I set out fully intending to be an evil and ruthless monster but then Sunny Smiles and Doc Mitchel and I just can't be mean to them. So I set out to be an evil shit to everyone not in Goodsprings.

Then I encounter bloody Vulpes "poke the bear" Inculta and his smug fucking face and his arrogant twat attitude "if it bothers you then try and do something about it *smirk*" and then he and all his fucking friends die horribly and I end up finishing the game as the messiah. Again.

It's just one "I can stop being good just after this last good deed" after another.

You just need to find a good enough motivation for your evil guy. Something he'd do anything to achieve, that inevitably leads him to do horrible shit to accomplish it. Makes you feel like less of an evil asshole and more like a man doing What Needs To Be Done.
Warning: May make you genuinely evil.

I'm actually excellent at being evil, such that it has become expected of me and I'm the one people turn to for that sort of thing. But I hate it, I don't like the thought patterns. I've never been sad to retire an evil character.

I have that when I play chaotic good.
Fight and kill a paladin and his entourage of knights to defend the live of a small child who is infected with lycanthropy.
Then on a full moon when the werewolf breaks out of her containment cell, kill her too and cradle the body of the small child when she dies in your hands.

>bad ending unlocked

Probably because you're looking at the evil mindset wrong. Sure some are just deranged lunatics that love killing for killing's sake but there are also those that are doing evil things because they think its necessary. They have deceived themselves into thinking what they're doing may be horrible in the short term but in the long term will lead to a better tomorrow. They might have a utopian vision of the future that can only to accomplished by utterly destroying the current world or seizing it by force and becoming a despot for a while to create that utopia and then everything will be perfect forever!

Well, that's how a lot real life people that have be called evil seem to think anyways.

>Not knocking out the Paladins and Werewolf.

The end justifies the means, or Pious Fraud, is usually the excuse of evil characters. At least, that's how I play it. Evil gets shit done.

It was a high lethality D&D clone, so non-lethal blows where pretty difficult.
In both battles we were extremely hard pressed and both parties were prepared to die for their just cause.
The werewolf slaughtered a dozen innocent bystanders, everything went to shit so fast, we had to kill her.

The child was an orphan in a circus and had a crappy life, but after I had struck the fatal blow, she reverted to her original form.
She touched my face with a bloodied arm and with whimpering voice.
>O-o-only w-w-wanted t-o m-m-m-make y-you s-mile

>bad ending unlocked

To be fair, new vegas' moral system was horribly flawed. I killed the legion because I hated them. They looked annoying and their first reaction to me was to take a piss on me, so I wanted to kill them all.

Petty as hell. Even evil. But new vegas rewards you good karma because the legion is "evil".

Try Planescape Torment.

Those absolute madmen thought so far ahead, there are even speech options where you can apologize to your party members for your evil actions.

>yeah, we know this shit is REALLY evil, so you can backpedal if it gets too bad mate

The best evil character I've been able to play was motivated by fear. Started as a true neutral human cleric, and slid down to neutral evil. He was close to the party, insofar as they were trustworthy. He avoided being violent as much as possible; due to his childhood he feels it's wrong.

However he manipulated anyone he could to put himself on top. He played both sides in conflict as much as possible, so he appears as an ally to everyone. He craved power, but not stature. His goal before the campaign had to end was to put into motion a rebellion by the dragonborn clans living in the slums. They were the target of significant prejudice due to being immigrants, and my character wanted to destabilize the government of the kingdom he was in so he could be there to pick up the pieces and try to place himself in a position of power. He was a bit of a hypocrite, because he didn't care about violence that sprung up from his actions, just as long as he didn't take part in the fight itself. His moral degeneration might have continued, leading to eventually him believing the best way to avoid violence is to strike first, and strike hard. It's a shame the campaign didn't continue to completion.

i'm not morally inclined to evil, if anything i'm obsessed with consistency. there's moments when 'evil' is the consistent thing to do, given past series of events, but i don't feel like it comes out of me per se. it's like the universe is making its rights out of wrongs.

my characters go in and out of character to stay focused on the task and avoid derailing the plot or antagonizing the party too much, as it's our 'contract' for the campaign. my last two characters have been control heavy characters with very little if no damaging options, but i wouldn't still get out of my way to stop my party from murderizing someone, because antagonizing the party would violate the contract. if they decide to do something thoroughly anti-ethical i'm more prone to leave and let them to their devices.

i wanted to play an outright lawful evil character but my dm didn't let me, it would've been a nice experience. and he was just 'evil' because he needed to eat brains to survive, that's just nature, how come that's evil?

I feel bad if I play a character who is middling evil. I play a character who is a little bit evil (maybe being ruthless but not enslaving or murdering innocents) or one who is completely, irredeemably evil (completely letting go of any sense of right and wrong) and be fine with it. It's the ones in between that trouble me, where the concept of morality hasn't been wholly discarded, but where their actions really can't be rationalized or justified. Maybe you just need to find the sweet spot?

>Play a seriously sick sociopath, who despises anyone of his own race
>Has a disturbing thing for asphyxiation
>Betrayed basically every NPC encountered
>Gets accepted into a small village community
>Starts making a name for himself as a helper of said community

Even let a defenseless man run away after finding out his death would be actually useful to the party.
I just told the DM that my character plans to betray and choke the villagers. That it's all part of a ruse.

[spoilers] He's just glad to finally be accepted and he ain't choking anyone.[/spoilers]

It feels so good to play the asshole pretty much everyone despises and start turning said asshole into a decent human being.

I know how you feel man

I've tried to make villains before because a couple of my friends bitched that I never contributed in the BBEG department, and they were the most uninspired most uninteresting characters I could have made

I just don't have fun playing evil. I like being the white knight faggot.

Coincidentaly this also leads to my characters being shit stomped into the ground half the time they go against important enemies

Can always play an "end's justify the means" type of character.
Let them be blinded by some kind of Ideology, and even if they hate themselves for doing something utterly wrong, they can internally justify it by striving towards an end goal which the believe is worth it.

Once I played Fallout 3 thanks to the Tale of the Two Wasteland mod, this is a basic rundown of my character:
>Sneaky bastard whose main weapon was a baseball bat which he used to deal insane crit damage.
>Unable to use healing items other than stimpacks while being on hardcore difficulty.
>Resorted to cannibalism to not have to spend all of his money on stims.
>Took any available resource if possible, even if a few (most of the time one) bat swings were needed.
>Had what some would call a 'problem' with chems, being most of the time under the influence of at least one at any moment, that is if you don't count alcohol.
Basically a raider.
Did the mothership Zeta DLC, became your standard nice hero from the fallout karma point of view.

I've tried making evil characters before, but the best I can really do is make a character that's neutral, and even then it always seems to lean good.

I think part of the problem is that what I admire or desire from characters just isn't what evil is. I want to be good. I can't even really enjoy Chaotic characters half the time, because I like the idea of surety and order compared to 'do what I feel.' I won't rant farther on that here, since this is more about good and evil, but I find it sad how little I really enjoy alignments beyond Good and beyond Lawful or at least Neutral. I love paladins, but I feel like a faggot for always playing them.

The only time I can enjoy being evil anything is in videogames where I'm controlling an evil faction. Then it feels a little overblown, and maybe I actually enjoy getting to be petty and angry and just letting loose.

>Beta Ray Bill

In my personal experience people who tend toward evil characters are kind of weird. Like they take their character's alignment so seriously and have this sort of elitist attitude where if you don't want to play a evil character it means you're an inferior roleplayer.

>Who else just can't into evil?

Same. A corrupt roleplay can lead to a corrupt mind.

Do you genuinely believe this?

inb4 blackleaf

Yeah. I also agree with in that people who prefer Evil characters are a bit unhinged.

It's pretty easy for me to do a bad guy because I just imagine someone who does some bad things with good intentions but loses their way to the point where they just go full bad without realizing it.

Should have picked a better image.

Nox flavor of evil is easy to justify.

killing everyone and melding everyone into hive mind is essentialy the same. Individuality, ego, the I, is all life is.

praise Yisun.

I find that argument difficult to swallow, especially since lines and degrees are so blurry.

Because I'm playing a good-at-heart pickpocket, does that mean I want to be a thief? If I'm playing a friendly enough but violent barbarian, does that mean I have a lot of inner rage to work out?

I may steal that concept from you. That's a cool evil character that can work well in a normal non-evil party. Most evil characters are murderhobos and that's why they are so difficult to place in normal campaigns.

I regret nothing. My character was put down by a paladin, but not before potentially forcing him to question his convictions.

In Total War and EU, I've only ever fought defensive wars. I cannot bring myself to be an aggressor

I heaviliy disagree. I will go further: you're a dumb cunt.

Playing a role does not corrupt you, at all. As a comedian, I will even tell you that playing many different roles, very diffirent from yourself, actually widen your views, because you learn to think differently and see things from very different point of views. It allows you to understand people a bit better. I think, but that's purely speculation now, that this is way many comedians and actors are left leaning on social issues and very forgiving, because you try to see the views of even the criminal and understand his justifications and personal motives and can see his grief.
That doesn't mean you can't see it's wrong, or you can't see it's morally flawed, or that you can't see he's a fucking lunatic. But you understand his inner trouble and that allows you to be more compassionate.

Playing lawful evil right now, despite being with a good party.

I've found a niche always giving opponents the first chance to surrender to me, personally, and when they inevitably refuse, becoming increasingly merciless towards them.

Like that episode of Rick and Morty when the spaceship is protecting Summer - and does some dark psychological fucked up shit.

>said the retard who reads too much into bad cartoons

I have no problem being evil when I roleplay as a woman. Not sure if that's fair though

In Mass Effect; Good MaleShep. Evil FemShep every single time.

Parasites would be affected detrimentally by evolving the ability to empathize with their hosts, which is why all women are sociopaths.

I guess it's really hard for me to be a normal evil,because I don't know when to go over the evil side or when just play it normally.

Luckily I will master a party of evil characters so I can role some good shit to kill them all.

And laughable, in the end.

The trick to being evil is to not be the one calling evil shots. Hire a board of evil underlings to sit around at meetings and decide what cold hearted shit to do. That way you profit while remaining distant from the atrocities and blaming them on the board who in turn shirk responsibility to eachother and the boots on the ground claim to be "just following orders". This way they are all still shitty people but each have someone else to pass the blame to so they can feel better about themselves. Naturally you keep the soldiers on rotation so they each may only perform a few overtly evil acts over the course of a long career to minimize risk of snapping. During all this you kixk back on your yacht and throw spare cash at orphans or some shit so you can feel good about yourself.

Has any of your characters turned out like arthas?

Oh you mean prequel-trilogy anakin skywalker?

No, that would be retarded.

You don't leave a family to suffer if you kill the whole family.

Trying to play secretly evil person. Hiding plans from the party etc. It's slowly coming out in a way I liked and the DM has done a good job of the story with it but I'm finding it hard to do anything actually evil beyond evil aligned magic. Plan is to become a litch drop a tear in reality to fuck with the party and peace out with the loot but I like the party too much now and they've saved me so many times I'm not sure if I can do it anymore.
Just not cut out for this cultist shit

>play an evil character
>he ends up being a generally helpful guy who helps quite a few people out, but continually claims it's because in the end it benefits him more than not helping
GM probably should have been shifting my alignment but he never brought it up

No the plot of Evangelion was "We have no idea what the fuck we are talking about, but weebs seem to be lapping this deconstructionist shit right up regardless."

The plot of ReBuild was "My arm is getting tired from hitting this dead horse with this stick, what about you? How much blood are you getting from that stone?"

I've never had that problem, but I did see it happen once where it was pretty crazy.

A guy who always played paladins and Robin Hood types, standard goody goods, decided to roll up a priest/cleric type. So in this setting, there was a group of custom gods who granted magic to their priests, and he choose the goddess of winter, who, if you read the one paragraph description, was very clearly a goddess of cold, death, and decay, about as close to an evil god as was available. I asked him about this because it seemed out of character, but he brushed it off. Not sure if he hadn't really read it or didn't quite "get" it.

So, about forty minutes in, we get into a fight on the road in the woods, traveling with some soldiers. He tries to roll to summon magic from his god to cast like a blizzard type thing on the bandits attacking us. He rolls a pretty massive critical failure. It was a die pool, and he rolled something insane like no successes, four 1s or something. So the ice spell backfires and hits the friendly soldiers, flash freezes like a dozen men, instantly killing all of them.

The guy was fucking horrified and bewildered by this, and seemed to feel it shouldn't have been possible. He was so upset about it that like half an hour later, he told the other players that when they woke up the next morning, they found his character in his room hanging by the neck, having committed suicide out of guilt.

You could just, like, agree with the Legion and compliment their handiwork. Vulpes likes that and won't treat you like a profligate.

It's easier to do if you're playing Legion Evil and not some other variety of evil.

No he was good, the cube just lied to him.

The key to playing an evil character is to have fun. Good or even neutral characters are very limited in their choices, while evil characters can do absolutely anything. You should try to savour this freedom and do shit you'd never do in a normal campaign. Just don't do the Saturday morning cartoon crap like "I torture the captives to death just because I want to lol", only retards and faggots do this and it ruins the game for everyone.

Not that guy, but I've always found this point of view interesting. The more I understand other people, the less I respect them, the less I care about them and the more they seem to blend together.

I'm still a big old leftie, but that's because I believe everyone should at least have a shot at a decent life. That way, the odd person who's actually worth shit gets a chance to float to the surface of the cesspit.

You probably feel another degree of separation.

I was successful one time because I had to out evil the other evil player for dominance over the world. I was more manipulative evil than dumb evil so I had a blast there. But fuck man EVERY OTHER TIME I couldn't pull myself to even continue after the first or second kill or "fuck that guy" moment. It fucking sucks being evil.

We have an evil campaign going on, and I do realise I try to circle the issue by having my character be a coward, a lunatic or too petty too do horrifying things.
I guess I chose a goblin for that reason, so I can get distracted by shining things or a sudden whim when needed. I still let shitty things happen and work under a dark lord though.

When everyone else is brooding their dark past or when the stakes are high, being small-time and petty can be quite fun.

When most people think of power fantasies in RPGs, they think of murderhobos sauntering about pillaging and raping. My idea of a power fantasy is just having the power to help people and doing so, because in real life peoples' problems are too complicated to be helped and that pains me.

I once played a mentally retarded goliath barbarian that raped and killed all the other PCs during the final confrontation with the villain. Doing this somehow allowed me to defeat the villain so I'm not sure where this sits on the spectrum.

The cube didn't really tell him anything, he just went legit crazy.

You are a hero that defeated the evil with your child-like innocents according to stephen king.

>Yisun

Reach heaven by violence, etc. Good choice of webcomic, user

>Try to have an evil character
>Never have fun doing cruel/evil things
>Only ever enjoy when playing to the few affections/relations the character has
>Wind up later playing an exceedingly similar neutral character and having infinitely more fun
I suppose it requires very specific situations to work for PCs.

>playing a role does not corrupt you
>playing many different roles...actually widens your views
Saying that you feel bad for the criminals shows that playing evil had indeed corrupted your mind so that you feel bad for evil at the very least. You proved that other guy's point.

You can hate the crime and still feel bad for the fact that they suffered from whatever situation caused them to feel it was the best idea.

That ye old Christian thing of "hate the sin, not the sinner" or whatever you want to call it.

You don't commit the kind of crimes that get you called "evil" on a lark. Something has to happen to make you think this is the best idea you have, and often you even think you're doing the /right/ thing.

But you wouldn't know that, would you, Mr. A?

This sounds like a good way to go about it.
Damn. That's a shame you weren't able to continue. Sounds great.

>not joining the Legion
>not realizing killing the profligates is a morally good act as it cleanses the world of their moral sickness
Why would you think that the people of Nipton deserved anything but death?

Oh. My. Gods.
That just made me remember why I love tabletop RPGs.

Because you can't run a functioning country as nothing more than an army of slave-soldiers. The reality of the post-nuclear world is that everyone is too used to retaining autonomy if not outright independence. It will take all of the East to hold the West, and you can't risk that sort of thing in the kind of world where one delivery boy is all it takes to bring an army of super robots, a Vertibird, a B-17 bomber, artillery, and/or all other manner of Pre-War technology against your pseudo-Romans.

Nipton, a town seeking to retain its autonomy, played the major powers of the region against one another instead of picking one and becoming subordinate to it. If not for the outright brutality of the Legion, this would have been the best strategy for any such small town.

>Because you can't run a functioning country as nothing more than an army of slave-soldiers
Early in the writing the Legion was supposed to be a temporary entity, one that would cleanse the land for a true empire to rise from the ashes. All of mankind began as small independent tribes, but here we are in massive nation-states.

And said delivery boy can side with the Legion and crush the NCR, not an argument.

Nipton was a town that sold debauchery to both criminals and enemy soldiers. On top of that they sold the lives of their patrons for a very small sum of caps. They reaped what they sowed.

It is horrible!

My nigga.
You would also love happy endings with satisfying conclusions, even for lesser characters? Because I love It.

I couldn't even play Renegade in ME.

I could only do it as femshep, and even then it wasn't a complete Renegade go at it.

Isn't it sad Millien?

I might be wrong, but I think Renegade was more rough and erratic or "tough but fair" in ME1 so it was still fun to play, but in ME2 it felt like the more generic "look at me I'm an evil dick" you usually see in CRPGs. Never bothered to replay ME3 with a Renegade character.

Same.

But it got easier to become more snarky as things went on.

Best way to ME is to go paragon but don't be afraid to take renegade interrupts.

Then when you get to ME3 renegade the fuck out of the quarians because jesus fuck you dumbfucks are too dumb to live why do I keep saving you.

Not the guy you're talking to.

Nobody argues that Nipton wasn't a bad place. The people in power were cowards and monsters who needed to be deposed, and many of its citizens may have even deserved death. I couldn't tell you, I never saw the place before someone burned the bloody thing down.

The problem is that Vulpes believed being stronger than them meant he had the right to do anything he wanted to them. He killed noncombatants, toyed with their lives through a lottery, and is the sort of man who kills a bound and defenseless person through hours of torment because he's there for the suffering. He's a scavenging mongrel who hides behind numbers, kills when the enemy cannot fight him back, and sees cold-blooded murder as his right simply because he can.

Maybe that's acceptable to some people but at best that puts him as being on the same level as the people he killed, and burying him and his lapdogs was the biggest favor anyone could've done for the region nomatter what faction they were with.

Hmm. Sounds like something in your brain isn't wired right, might be genetic. Protip: don't reproduce.

All my evil characters just end up being heroes who are also complete cunts

Lawful Evil red half-dragon Paladin of Bahamut who spends half the time rescuing peasants from orcs and the other half trying to convince Bahamut not to cut them off for making snide comments and coveting booty.

The easiest way to make an evil character is to make an extremely selfish, 'petty evil' character. Someone who's genuinely selfish, but pragmatic enough to act like they're not. That's the character I'm playing in now, in the midst of a party filled with good or neutral characters.

I never really pretended I was anything but evil, but the players all think I'm just 'token' evil, when I'm going out of my way to help the king's men and helping save the world from an apocalypse, but... Well, even an evil character lives in this world too. That and she's planning on trying to seduce and marry the prince.

She's not exactly a 'do whatever they want because lul chaotic evil', it's more 'do what they want after a lot of planning and forethought'.

No.
Later in the season 2 we see Qilby talking to the Cube as if it was a sentient being. It doesn't answer back, but Qilby knows.

>literally explicitly stated in the series
>reading too much in to it
what

Only really sits on the autism spectrum.

I feel you man. I can't play rude/evil/jerk characters no matter how hard I try. It just doesn't feel satisfying, except when the whole point of the game is to be cartoony evil and your enemies are even worse than you, like in Overlord.

I always wanted to play an evil campaign if only out of curiosity, but I'd probably not be able to play a "so evil they eat babies" type of character.

go lawful evil,you do what you have to do for the greater good,if you have to kill a village to save a town so be it.

For me, Could only play lawful evil seriously. Manipulative, but had certain principles. He respected intelligence and vision. Race and Creed didn't matter to him, only results and if the job was done correctly. His viciousness was fueled by struggling as a squire growing up, dealing with ignorant knights or entitled lords. Thinks lawful good is naive, and Lawful Neutral too ridged if not gutless. He thought he can do better. Would save an innocent now and then, but only if they grab his attention and eventually they would have to work for him .

I find playing outright evil characters pretty hard, but on the other hand I'm good at the hardline lawfag asshole character types, who will do shitty things because 'Well, I made a deal, just because I wasn't entirely aware of the consequences doesn't mean I can break my word'.

I once played a character that in hindsight was probably a cingewrothy edgelord character. Basically it was a hedonistic elf who only cared to have fun/pleasure and he didn't had a sense of scale. So he raped a tavern wench, in another occasion deliberately tripped a npc companion when being chased out of a dungeon by a great number of vicious kobolds and all the party was spent. And he also got challenged to a duel by a half orc in a tavern and when he won, he executed him needlessly as he was getting up, because he was angry that the guy had put a scar on his otherwise handsome face.

The cringe part was mostly the rape bits and he was bald and had a bunch of tattoos, prefering black leather to anything else.

My point being, after a scene where me and the evil bard gnome offered ten gold to a starving peasant girl if she let us spitroast her (gnome climbed on a short stump), I got positively disgusted by the character and couldn't play him any further so I got him killed eventually, because the thought of retiring him and him being 'out there' made me physically sick.

Keep this in mind:

A well-made evil character is the hero of their personal story. Before playing an evil character (or any character really) you should have a clear goal in mind for them. Even if that goal is to hunt the most dangerous game.

The Quarians were pretty retarded most of the time. Only reason my Renegade Shep went for the Peace solution was because he was fucking Tali.

I'm playing a character in a Modern Exalted game who's a thoroughly misguided sorcerer, trying to make the world a better place. Essentially, summoning demons to take out powerful criminals. Even then, I kinda want to play a different character. He's still too evil for me, and I am too emotional for it.

Can't change the character though as the current story's kinda built around him. Maybe I should try and make him a better person. He doesn't feel like a good person though.