The Orks loot a ringworld

>The Orks loot a ringworld.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sR2296df-bc
youtube.com/watch?v=PJIwruvheLA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Ring_(habitat)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm not sure anyone in 40k is capable of building a ringworld to begin with.

DAoT Mankind or Necrons could. Necrons might have just to win the War in Heaven.

There's a Dyson's sphere near the edge of the galaxy. And Mars has an artificial ring around it.

They crash it immediately.

With no survivors? [/spoilers]

I think you're correct, but has of the latest point in the 40k timeline, none of the factions have the resources (tau), technology and time (IOM) or both (Eldar)

Depends.
Where did they land, and from what distance?
And how well built was the ringworld?

>the Orks join the Covenant and the Halo rings ACTUALLY turn them into gods

Dot Ring-wold don' got no rings innit, wot a gyp!

>Ork sticks a stick into the mud of the ring world
>lifts up ringworld over its head
>hits ork standing next to him with it

Stupid Ork rules.

They turn it into a giant wheel and roll it at the Imperium

>The Orks are looting a ringworld.

Fixed that for ya.

Da big ring don't gotz no fing on it. But if we couldz put da ship engine on da back...

>paint it red
>cover the outer edge of it in guns

They're going to become a green tide on a hamster wheel

So that's what a ringworld is. Looks silly as fuck but it probably works out (not). Silly shit

>paint it red
>cover the outer edge of it in guns

This.
It's probably take a while, but I'm confident they'd eventually turn it into some kind of wonky, horrifying, massive, spinning battleship.

No, they cover the whole damn thing in spikes, rivets and red/yellow checkered paint, find the nearest world with more shit to loot, and THEN crash it.

Scale of ringworld
youtube.com/watch?v=sR2296df-bc

Why the air doesn't spill over the edge
youtube.com/watch?v=PJIwruvheLA

Like a skaven death-wheel? Just.. really 'uge?

I'm a bit rusty in my Halo lore but can someone tell me why the Ark and its various installions are so huge and have habitable environments. Aren't they just super weapons to destroy the Flood.

Samples to repopulate.

But isn't that what worlds like the one in Halo 4 are about. Shelters from the installations.

They never really give a reason.

The Ark was specifically made to house members of the other races of the galaxy while the Halo rings fired to preserve them. After the rings fired, the AI attendants for the Ark gathered the species back up and put them back on their original worlds and left them be.

As for the rings themselves, they were kept with an active atmosphere and biome because they were used by the Forerunners to study the Flood. It's entirely possible they lived on the installations themselves while running their tests and therefore needed a livable atmosphere. The Forerunners were also really big into aesthetic design and they could have just built them that way because they liked the way they looked.

I feel like ultimately, the Orks lack the interest or know-how to maintain the Ringworld like its previous owners did. Eventually it'll just be a barely-functioning space station uninhabitable for anyone other than Orks.

>The installations are unfathomably huge for aesthetic purposes
This actually makes perfect sense

Is known if is human?

Well yeah, but these are the same guys who, if I'm remembering correctly, built a city the size of a solar system and used gas giants the size of Jupiter for decoration around it.

"But why?", I can hear you wondering.

For fucking A E S T H E T I C S

Needs more dakka...

The ring world will be hula'd by a omegaultradeffkilla gargant that'll rip worlds in half while firing bullets that collectively made up of more metal than can be found on a single world in the matter of seconds.

Retard.

It comes from a race that destroy another one out of spite.

Ancient humans ruined halo for me. I liked it more when it was imply it was just a lucky accident that humans could use the halo thingies.

what is there really to even loot on a Halo?

Ancient technology of unfathomable power.

Worst case scenario, it inspires a Big Mek.

They crash land, start to conquer everything on a stright line.
By the time they reach the next kingdom the previous one start to learn to deal with them but they keep going forward because fuck going back.

Halo didn't invent ringworlds, kiddies. Christ.

Well, yeah. But the Niven Ring has less shit than a Halo ring does, so what the fuck would orks want with an unstable ring trapped within the orbit of the sun which might be ready to just break apart? At least Halo can move and has a "Big Shooty Cannon" going for it.

In some fairness, the only other work of sci-fi prominently featuring a Ringworld is, well, Ringworld. Which almost no one's ever heard of and those who have need a Master's in engineering to appreciate it.

the dyson sphere is the outsider where he facilitates the hive mind

>The Orks loot a Discworld

So..like every form of Ork space vessel?

Jeb?

Wrong circular shaped world buddy, that's a few authors over in the library.

There's also Stellaris that portrays ringworlds.

That's bullshit. I liked the book, and I haven't even obtained my BS in physics yet.

Been a long time since I read the Niven books but was the Ringworld even close to being fully explored? Might be lots of neat stuff still undiscovered. Anybody ever do a size comparison between a Halo and Niven ring?

Thought Louis Wu managed to stabilize the ring with some of the remaining attitude jets, or was that a stop-gap measure? Those jets might make good weapons in a pinch.

I'd like to see what would happen if Orks were to land on Ringworld, only to discover one or more Pak Protectors who are rebuilding/repopulating it. Or maybe Orks vs. Kzinti.

The size comparison is massive if I recall correctly, I mean one is barely the size of a small planetoid and the other is the 1 AU in diameter. Quite a stark difference in my opinion. A Halo could be explored in a matter of a few years whereas a Ringworld couldn't be explored in even a few human life times.

Wait, I stopped playing Halo at Reach. Humans are the Forerunners? Sounds like a bit of a cop out.

Radius not diameter, my bad. Still massive though.

>The Orks loot 2 ringworlds and build a giant warbike.
>They begin the search for enough red paint to cover it

Honestly, by Ringworld standards, the Halos are pretty fucking small. The one in the original Larry Niven book was as large as a regular planet's entire orbital path. In comparison the Halo in the first game was small enough that it orbited around a typical gas giant.

No, Forerunners had a war with the humans way back when and then they forcibly de-evolved humanity.

The humans were on the Ark and, long story short, became the inheritors of the mandate to protect all life (so they can use all the Forerunner shit).

Wasn't that either implied or stated in the very first game? I thought that's why humans were able to mess with the rings

Eh, even in the first Halo there's implications that the humans are somehow special. It only gets reinforced and even by Halo 3 at least humans and the Chief specifically are being referred to as Reclaimers when none of the Covenant races were, so there was some kind of connection going on.

you were saying?

This.

tbf that could also refer to a world with a ring around it like saturn but you're probably right

Maybe, I have a vague memory of thinking it would be humans all along so maybe they hinted at it more than I remember. I just feel like the whole humans falling from grace and starting over only to find powerful artefacts from their past thing has been done so many times before.

Source? Im interested.

I'll have to find a copy of that RPG some time. The Niven ring idea was the only one I knew growing up, and while fun it always seemed too big. Just one of the two Great Oceans contains full 1:1 scale maps of every world in Known Space. The Halo ring is more appealing because as you said, it's feasible to explore.

My vote is the Orks try to loot but get their shit pushed in by a group of insane Puppeteers.

Its probably because that's happened in actual history a few times now and, if shit goes bananas, will happen again in the future.

Technologically speaking, it was probably the case that, for the Forerunners, creating ecosystems on the rings required such a small opportunity cost in relation to the main purpose and technologies contained therein that being aesthetically displeasing had more downsides.

>I want something in 40k
>But none of the current factions can make that!
Option A:
DAOT did it

Option B:
Ancient Eldar/Necrons did it

Option C:
Warp Sorcery

Option D:
Some combination of the above.

The Halo rings are more comparable to this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Ring_(habitat)
But hey those are still pretty big and probably still plenty of fun to explore. Speaking of the rpg I have all the pdfs for it if you need em, I am actually about to run a campaign of it. Kzin being the crazy warrior people they are I bet they would easily figure out to just burn all the Orks.

there actually are ring worlds mentioned in 40k...

>I get lots of popcorn.

>Ringworld
>obscure

Next you say most people think the Three laws of robotics were introduced in I, Robot.

Holy shit dude for real. SPOILERS EXIST FOR A REASON!!!!

How do they deal with so many turtles? It's turtles all the way down after all.

>Eldar
>Necrons
>Daemons because they can
>Very powerful psykers
>probably the Old Ones at some point
>Humans with Dark age technology

So what would happen if the Orks unearthed the Flood?

Looted flood or flood infested orks, hilarious yet terrifying either way.

No it won't. We've mined out the easy resources on big chunks of the planet. If civilization falls before we get self sustaining offworld colonies and asteroid mining, it falls for good. This one's for all the marbles.