I'm running a dungeon where my players will instantly revive after they die (in a safe place if they die down an...

I'm running a dungeon where my players will instantly revive after they die (in a safe place if they die down an infinite pit or something), but have a limited number of lives.

What kind of entirely bullshit, no-fair traps should I put in it?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1366/82/1366826811409.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There's a large room entered by an open doorway, there's an altar in the middle and a seald door in the far end. The altar has three buttons and a talking statue. The statue gives a simple logical puzzle (just find one on the internet) supposedly to work out which button you should press to open the sealed door at the far end. Actually all the buttons will disintegrate anyone pressing them. The door was never really sealed in the first place, and is in fact easily opened.

A merchant selling a knife that, so he claims, allows the user to gain three bonus lives by killing themselves with it.
This obviously isn't the actual effect, it instead just teleports some of the user's gear/loot back to that merchant.

Ooo, I could even use this for the world's shittiest binary logic puzzle.

This is also pretty hilarious.

I remember there was that book of bullshit traps that I can't remember the name of.

ON YOUR FEET MAGGOT!

ON YOUR FEET MAGGOT!

ask and thou shalt receive, my delinquent of ancient lineage

archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1366/82/1366826811409.pdf

>What kind of entirely bullshit, no-fair traps should I put in it?

Don't. Even with instant revival, and more than one life, it's still incredibly anti-fun and a kick to the nuts to do it to your players

Okay here's how to come horrible things in a creative way. Put off doing something that you're supposed to be doing until you have anxiety. Then on the weekend set your alarm an hour earlier than you plan to wake up or maybe an hour and a half. When the alarm goes off get up and turn it off. Go back to sleep. From the point that you go back to sleep until you actually wake up you will have incredibly anxious and frightening, but easily remembered, dreams. Basically you can use those design whatever traps you're thinking of for your players.

How about instead of traditional traps, make the setting itself the trap and you can only escape by achieve a certain goal and they have to collect clues or knowledge by reliving the same day over again.

This is a one-time thing in a larger campaign.

The goal is to get to a magical item at the core of the dungeon so they can use it to unlock a magical door and prevent a vampire from doing something really, really stupid.

I think they'll be fine with it in-context. They know what will happen if they go in already, and all seemed okay with it.

...I'll try it, I guess?

Invisible blocks. Make sure to conviniently place stones nearby them and a mention about the wind currents being off so an intelligent player knows to pick up a stone and throw it to see if it will deflect off.

How bright are your players typically?

That movie was surprisingly good

>I'm running a dungeon where my players will instantly revive after they die (in a safe place if they die down an infinite pit or something), but have a limited number of lives.
Pits, piranha plants and turtles.

Oh my god, Kaizo blocks. Holy shit, how did I not think of this.

Yes it was.

Fuck it, why not.

look up Grimtooth

After making it clear that they'll just respawn, flood them with traps that don't kill them but hold them in place until either another PC kills them or they starve to death.
>Teleport trap that places them in metal cages with no doors
>A magic vase or other object that forces them to look at it full time, they literally can't look away or move away short of passing a huge will check or dying.
>Fey dance-a-thon. Similar to above but with dancing and fey that like to dance. Dance until they die, days or weeks later.

Also a few traps that makes the other PC's think the PC that tripped it is dead while they're really in another doorless cage somewhere.

This is gold I'm stealing this.

>if the stabbed has no remaining items on them, their naked body teleports to the merchant, knife in hand

It was pretty great except for the entire final act and the bullshit ending.

I once played a game where an incredibly powerful gnome set us (A CE Gnome Rouge, A NN Cleric with split personalities, and a LN fighter with less AC than the rouge) on a quest to retrieve a certain item from a very specific plane. The 'Moons Tear' a gem of incredible strength. He set us to the world of Majora's Mask.

We kept our loot, money, and memories every reset

two important rules;
Every time a PC died, universe reset
3 days, in game, universe reset

So many bullshit monsters and scenarios came our way. So many good stories.

The bullshit caused y the time skips;
>Addiction to cocaine and cocaine accessories
There was a plant in the first dungeon that healed 1d4 every time you ate it. Add a scaling fort save, and you have a coked up midget.

>The Alice in Wonderland Module
We fought the excessively over powered Caterpillar (because we are idiots and didn't want to trade shit to him), almost killed it, then it cocooned and ended our day.

>Became the mini boss of the forest temple for three days
Planted my rouge in the temple because the party was off doing not cocaine (crafting i think). Managed to find some decent loot, kill link and get a master sword. Also more cocaine

Bullshit trapes included;
>Stalfo's hidden on the roof of a room, about 5 of them, all armed with spears that they have braced
>A room filled with mirrors and masks. If you looked into a mirror without a mask on, a shadow copy of you spawns, without one and the mask seals itself on you cause horror and only horror (we all got an instrument to abuse the music mechanics, so the song of healing was first on my list to learn).
>A puzzle that involved memorizing which floor panel explodes. We used peasants to figure out this one
>A room that made healing magic do damage to you, after a big fight, filled with hidden spiders
>log jumping with the odd high level croc mixed in
>Acid water, everywhere
>Trees that'll strangle you if you stop near them

I miss that game

Sometimes the classics are worth a try.

Adding to this, permanently debilitating effects that will disappear if they die, and so a player might have to make a decision whether to respawn or try to play with blindness/deafness/etc.

I like hiding illusory walls in pit traps.

Have the party attempting to make it through a trap filled hallway to the obvious door. The door opens to a dragon statue which works like a fire hose. Players are pushed into pit trap (poison, alignment changing rocks, dealers choice) and climb out, when really the door was in the pit the whole time.

Oooh, that sounds neat. My players are all sort of rough-and-tumble Brooklyn types (in character, at least), so the conversations that would generate would be quite fun.

That's trap number one, obviously. Gotta go with the classics.

That seems fun! I'll definitely add one like that.

Just use Grimtooth traps, they are incredibly bullshitty insta-death traps. The majority of his traps are so bullshitty they take a hard left into 'No Fun' territory

A floating, slowly rotating slate with their face drawn on it.
When picked up, it grants one extra Resurrection.
Sprinkle them around the room.s, in difficult, but not impossible places to reach.
The last one is suspended directly over a *slightly* too wide bottomless pit, and moves away when approached.

Had a GM run that dungeon of Doom for us in 3.5
I built a spellthief / dungeon delver kobold, just to be as small as possible.

That's fucking hilarious. I'm adding it.

What should happen if you touch somebody else's face?

unless you asked first, they'll probably be somewhat taken aback

You know what I meant.

user, i think i love you

Do you wanna know for sure?

I think another fun thing to do, is have them terleported to a puzzle where they have to use a modern motion-sensored game to get themselves through to the other side, but the sensitivity is through the roof, so every slight twitch makes them lose their combos, or clank all over the place.

.. And No, I am NOT bitter about The Force Unleashed for the Wii - why do you ask?

no, i prefer to live in hope

>enter a room.
>seems empty, floor's a bit slimy
>bits of loot and bones are strewn about
>players reach the center, realize that the ceiling is just one giant Elder Black Pudding and the gear is the shit that has fallen out
>The creature drops

Didnt read thread but here you go

>party meets a lich
>lich seems like a cool dude, he asks them to join his eternal dead legion
>anyone in the party says yes
>insta kill, no saves

>any time a TPK happens, just re-do the encounter, until they either beat it, or they run out of lives. they can't exit the encounter until one of those things happen, handwave in reasons

just do anything in pic related

That got me to flinch.

The entire book is full of awesome shit like this.