EDH/Commander General

Good art, bad card edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What's your favorite color combo?

Other urls found in this thread:

edhrec.com/commanders/endrek-sahr-master-breeder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What's your favorite color combo?

Right now it's Black/White. No one told me how fun constant life drain and taxation could be. I feel cheated.

Red

Red is my favorite color combo.

>RKF
Man I miss his art style. So many of the great MTG artists left around Lorwyn-Shadowmoor

I just made this connection and it blew my mind.

>cast Gideon
>immediately pop emblem
>scoop
God I feel bad for Standard players

>Good art, bad card edition
Just ordered a foil Tariel. I'm not a huge Wayne Reynolds fan but her art is pretty fucking metal. Face is a little derpy and the detail sucks, but hopefully that won't be noticeable in card form.

I also like the colors and I wanted a go-tall reanimator deck. I have a cleric deck which also plays reanimator but focuses on cheap creatures and mass reanimation like Rally the Ancestors, Wake the Dead, and Return to the Ranks. I think I'll build this one to force as much sacrifice and discard as possible, then reanimate fat demons and shit.

Scooping removes Gideon from the game.

GRUUL, NIGGA

>ramp like a maniac
>cast gigantic creatures
>cheat huge shit into play
>go fucking hypersonic fast and set everything in your path on fire
>make a fuckbillion little guys and unload the PAIN BUS directly down someone's throat
>Smack the shit out of people with your god damn lands

Gruul is the fucking king

Best Doomsday LabMan piles in UB

pls help, control is a strange and unfamiliar beast to me

i've got a janky deck 60 card deck built around 3 CMC cards (mostly creatures) that work well with Blasphemous Act and come back with Sun Titan; I think I might be able to slot a Gideon in there, but I'd have to take it out at the expense of Domri Rade who has more immediate presence in the deck and can make their 8/8 fuckwhatever fight Boros Reckoner

No one cares.

It's either Boros, Orzhov or Azorius. I don't like Mardu, USA or Esper that much though, even though I have tried all of them and am brewing a sphinx tribal discard Zur, Espertai or Triple Tits, haven't decided which one, but probably end up with Zur

The decks I mostly play are Stoutarm, Hanna and my super janky Ayli cleric tribal, which has been much more fun than I originally anticipated.

RW voltron is best.

>post yfw blood moon gets played

>mfw Blood Moon gets played
>mfw I'm the one playing it

Predict, Lab Man, Reanimate, Gush, Probe.
Also Unearth and Meditate can be used to good extent. Most important thing is to use the best low CMC shit, even if it costs other things.
If you play Doomsday, you go all out, since if you don't win the turn you play Doomsday, you're going to lose anyway.

Why bother. That does jack shit against anyone playing red. Just play the better one.

Thanks, I'll run a couple backups since the group I'm rocking it against isn't super high-powered. I just want to see them get mad after winning off of Lab Maniac

>Please teach my group this, as I have tried to teach them the stack and how instant speed actually works and they just whiff every time
I think most players in this thread know the struggle. I've plain given up on some of my kitchen table.

>mfw I'm mono-green

It's terrible. They are of the mind that things can just... happen if they have instant speed, giving no mind to priority

>Just play the better one.
You posted the wrong pic, user. Here, let me help you out.

Sultai or Esper.... it's really hard to choose. Green is deeper but white just unlocks so much...

>still posting the wrong picture
Let me give you a hand

What did he mean by this?
>still lets opponents produce mana
Eat shit. Contamination is worse than Blood Moon, since it requires a sacrifice to keep the toilet clogged.
Back to Basics is the only way to go.

>cumulative upkeep
>5 colour identity
My fucking face

>Needs a 5c identity
>Only messes with lands with basic types

Try harder

>Implying sacking creatures is a downside
It's like you've never played black.

Used to be 5c until I played 4c sans black

Sans black is the best color combo
Sure black has powerful draw and tutors but for casual decks sans black just flows so much better and you don't need to worry about killing yourself with drawing or having too much swamp dependence or excessive tutoring

>not playing a 5 color chaos deck

>5c basic land deck
:DDD
>4C Non basic land deck
DDD:

Damn you're bad.

That means that you're losing it if you don't happen to have creatures you dense mongoloid.
Saccing is fun sure, but needing to feed shit constantly to that piece of shit ruins the whole card. What's the point even playing that if opponents are smart enough to play artifacts?
>playing chaos
Neck yourself my man

>What did he mean by this?

Gee, I don't fucking know. It's almost like green has an affinity for lands or something.

Sure smells like WE WUZ HOMOS here. Bantemur is obviously worst shit even of the precons. Why no play the most fun and powerful colour?

But that doesn't have anything to do with my original post. Only thing I gather is that green was only colour I didn't mention playing.

Not him but I run contamination in mono b and just having it out for 1 or 2 turns will give you an incredible advantage- much larger than the cost of saccing a couple creatures. Even if they have mana rocks out its cutting their mana production in half or worse most of the time and completely turning off their ability to cast spells with heavy color costs, that is invaluable.

>Neck yourself my man
It's called having fun :^)
>not giving everyone free monsters
>not killing said free monsters instantly unless they wanna skip their turn
>not making everyone not know what spell they actually casted
>not removing drawing from the game and replacing it with take the top card of an opponents deck instead
>not nuking the board 7 times
>not playing knowledge pool
>not making the game last 4 more hours than it should
>not playing havoc festival followed by wound reflection

>fun
More like make everyone miserable including yourself. I rather not play at all than play against grouphug or chaos memelords.

i play this endangered babar for etb like cathars' crusade

good idea/bad idea

Legends had so many cards that had top tier flavor and total shit for utility.

Care to elaborate?

Bad.

Bad idea

Note that the ETB effect isn't a "may" effect - you have to pay 2 energy and keep the card on the battlefield if you can. Which means you can only play him twice unless you have an energy outlet.

Not wanting to pay life is a super baby causal mindset.

My bad, I didn't even realize I replied to the wrong post. Not sure how I fucked that up.

Meant to reply to

>Sans black is the best
>black has powerful draw and tutors
>casual decks sans black just flows so much better
>you don't need to worry about killing yourself
>swamp dependence
>excessive tutoring

I don't think elaboration will help. You're bad. Play more. Get better.

Homo is fun as hell
I'm not going to lie
I foiled out what I could from the precon sans black list because it's a fun deck to play against 75%ers.

>implying me making everyone else miserable is making me miserable

so i have an aether hub

at worst it's a 3/4 chump for 1, at best it's three easy triggers by itself

This. I hate chaos personally but the fact of the matter is there is a finite amount of possible fun to be had at any table. I intend to have all of it for myself.

t. Cruel Control

A 3/4 dumbo isn't worth a whole lot in EDH.

If you're looking for ETB triggers just play cards which generate tokens.

>You're bad if you don't play black
>He's never killed himself with an adnaus or whiffed on a necronologia for 15
Edgy

not him but
>implying goblin game makes everyone miserable

not only is the life drain/gain super strong, WB is prepped for removing fucking anything. it's amazing, but i eventually had to go to abzan for the siege rhino drain also on a budget, so more expensive drainers like kokusho had to be left out

>>Sans black is the best
You do realize that the context for "best" is "favorite" Christ alive this general is autistic as fuck

A lot of the legends in legends were based of the dnd characters of the people at WOTC at the time.

Most of the time it's 3 ETBs for G ea
At best it's an endlessly reusable ETB every turn with Aether Hub, or more than once/turn with an outlet
At worst it's a 3/4 chump for GGG (not 1)

I don't think it's worth it, but if something happens to your commander (I'm assuming Roon) you have some backup ETBs. There are probably just better options (Displacer, Closet, Brago, Thrag, etc)

>singleton format
Tutors are great
>double normal starting life total
Life is twice as expendable

I really don't see why anyone would argue that black isn't spectacularly suited to EDH. I never said you have to be bad to not play black (personal preference trumps everything), but you have to be bad to not recognize its strength. All 5 4-color combos can compensate so well for the missing color anyway.

Did you read his post? He goes on a qualitative rant about how good sans black is.

How exactly is that just describing his favorite.

>What's your favourite colour combo?
at the moment Blue/Black
Exploit is a fun mechanic

bad, just use whitemane lion and its ilk

Currently BW. Hopefully Amonkhet gives me a new legend to brew outside of those colors. I have very little hope that the remaining Gods will be viable, so I'm counting on some kind of RG Cleopatra or UR Sphinx.

are there more cards like immortal servitude? besides that white spell that undoes a boardwipe.

i get the feeling the black god is gonna be sick as hell

What are the best sac outlets in black or colorless?

ashnod by far

You mean Phyrexian Altar.

vampiric rites is pretty good.

Ashnod's Altar
Phyrexian Altar
Blasting Station
Viscera Seer if you need a lowered curve
Fallen Angel has done a surprising amount of work for me
Attrition
Spawning Pit

Plenty of good non-reusable ones too, like Dread Return and

I agree with everything here

I'd also recommend Altar of Dementia if milling or self-milling plays into your strategy

and I forgot a bunch, but just look here
edhrec.com/commanders/endrek-sahr-master-breeder

Oh and Fallen Ideal may or may not work better than Fallen Angel depending on circumstances

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

Want to make deck with this shitlord to Infect my way to victory! How do?

>vampiric rites
>non reusable
uuuuh its a 1 cost enchantment

Fallen Ideal is pretty nice since it can sac the creature its enchanting, and it recurs itself.

My bad I was thinking of Diabolic Intent
>Vampiric Rites
>Vampiric Tutor
>Diabolic Tutor
>Diabolic Intent
Only 4 degrees of Kevin Bacon, I'm not too ashamed.

>mfw red is my favorite edh color
>mfw im the only one who plays blood moon

Mirror Gallery and Blade of Selves

Had my first few games of Ravos/Tymna tonight and had a blast

>Yosei locks
>Kami of False Hope loops
>Righteous War protection
>Edgewalker acceleration

Anyone got any hidden gems for this deck? It feels so grindy and resilient, it feels like a fairer mix of Edric and Karador.

Leovold Doomsday faggot here. My ideal pile, assuming an empty board, is predict, lab man, unearth, street wraith, probe. Total cost is 1UB and four life. Replace either of the cantrips with gush if you're at low life.
Pro tip, for every cantrip you already have in your hand, you can replace a draw spell in the DD pile with some kind of protection, like a counter.

Does anyone else get a volcanic, pulsating dick from this card? You get not one, but three(3) *artifact* creatures, plus a free 3CMC bonus of your choosing. Holy shit, do you know what this means?! First off, that's potentially four creatures for 1 mana each. Four etb triggers that make blockers and perfect fodder for sac abilities(Ashnod's Alter ramps you for a colorless refund) or other effects. That last creature can also be just about any hate bear or utility creature you need. No creatures? No problem! Throw down a Vindicate or Detention Sphere instead. Did I mention you also get artifacts? You now have Puresteel Paladin with metalcraft built in. The only thing this card doesn't do is fuck your wife while you're too occupied winning games!

It also makes 3 artifacts and shits a card in breya for even more combo.

Temur is fantastic but essentially any RG(x) works for me

I have a question about proliferate. What exactly gets increased and by how much. Let's use this as an example.

Opponent has 3 poison counters. My planeswalker has 5 loyalty counters. My creature has +1/+1 And my opponents creature has -1/-1. After proliferating those 4, what do they become?

>I'm the dedicated red player at the table
>only other guy with red in his deck would be Narset

They all get +4 counters of each because there are four kinds of counters with four targets.

>Opponent has 3 poison counters. My planeswalker has 5 loyalty counters. My creature has +1/+1 And my opponents creature has -1/-1. After proliferating those 4, what do they become?
4 poison, 6 loyalty, 2 +1/+1 counters, 2 -1/-1 counters?

Each of those things get one extra of each of their respective counters if you chose to proliferate all of them

Add exactly one counter of the given type to something that already has it. You couldn't wiki this?

>that's potentially four creatures
Think bigger

I've been wanting to make a control deck, most likely Esper. If I don't want to win by combo, what are my options for wincons? I know in 1v1 you can win with BS utility creatures poking but that doesn't seem like an option in multiplayer. And as far as I've heard in modern and standard it's just about dropping a big threat they can't deal with. Is that the plan here? Could use some help.

Thanks

Scion of the Ur Dragon with Skithiryx/Moltensteel combo. Is fun. Don't do multiplayer.

Cards like stormtide leviathan? Blue sun's zenith?

So a big threat or massive mana needed to kill

An easy control esper deck is lifegain oloro.
Win cons being aetherflux reservoir, felidar sovereign, test of endurance, and maybe mechanized production.

It's simple, it's easy, and arguably overpowered.
People will bag on it for being the """thinking man's deck""".

In the end, play what makes you happy. Just be aware some people may think you're that guy.

Well you did say you didn't want to just peck them down- but Milling is a thing for UB if you don't want to slap them with -large- utility creatures

Would Sheoldred or chainer be a better commander for a mono resurrection deck?

Sidisi desu