/WFG/ Warhammer Fantasy General

Rave in Athel Loren edition.

> Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
RPG: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux

> Some links have gone dead, we want these novels for an alternative archive
pastebin.com/H95TSZWU

> Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
Tomb Kings Alternative: tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

> Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer: store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Vermintide: store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Return of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=plUPJ0inN4c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here's my homebrew again. I've reduced the encumbrance of gunpowder and firearm shot and have added swivel guns.

Maybe I could try my hand at various war machines.

To this day, I still have a hearty kek when I think of that Karl Franz death camp mod for TW: W.

Do you guys still start new armies or are you content to just play with the ones you have?

>tfw starting Wood Elves but Glade Riders, Warhawk Riders, Treekin, Waywatchers, Great Eagle, Wardancers, and most Spellweavers are discontinued

I have only ever finished one army in my many decades of life, and that was for Dust. It all gets bought, sits for a year, sold, and reacquired.

Sort of regretting that habit these days - During the end times I bought what came out to 4000 points of Tomb kings, mostly on sprues, for $150. Really, really wish I still had that.

Still want to start a Dwarf army at some point.

I can't say I'm content to play with what I have - I always want a little more, or to build up a new army - but I'm tight-fisted with my money, and I don't get many opportunities to play since I got into the hobby so late.

I'm just glad that I got a Bretonnian army, even if it's a small one. I should try and get some Grail Pilgrims and a whole squad of Pegasus Knights though...

Any of you fuckers know where I can get some Tomb Kings Ushtabis? I need those for conversions

Short of getting lucky at a local store, ebay, or bartertown, not really. Some companies like TMS and Mantic have suitable proxies.

>TMS

I started a chaos army, an undead army and I rebased and expanded my dwarves over the course of the two last years.

So got a high elf army on eBay for 130 britdollars

Silverhelms x 15

Sky cutter

Sea Guard x 50

Archers x 20.

Bolt Throwers and crew x 2

Frost Phoenix x 1

Tyrion

Teclis

Mages x 3

Spearman x 50

Reavers x 20

White Lions x 20

Korhil

Caradryian

Great Eagles x 2

Shadow warriors x 5

Hand maidens x 10

2 KR cases.

Prince Imric.

And bunch of bits including a chariot.

I'm aiming to make a Kings of War force out of them so i can multibase to my heart's content.

Did i do good?

>this
>130 ounces
What the shit

Tbf he hasn't posted it yet so he could have just run off with the money.

He can't run out of britland you silly. It's an island.

>/pol/ack
>high elves
A match made in heaven indeed.

Apparently the skaven were trying to manipulate the empire and bretonnia into all out war like they did with Bretonnia and Araby. If they actually succeeded and Bretonnia launched a full blown crusade into the empire, what would happen? Could it lead to an all out war like the war of the beard? Or would one side easily defeat the other? Where do the dwarfs and elves and other old world humans stand in this conflict?
Assuming Chaos isn't ascendant and they don't just jump in and BTFO both sides,

True i better blow up the channel tunnel (haha just kidding gchq) before he escapes.

>Not enjoying the dankest memes

I also have 50 black orcs in the mail I'll have you know you fucking bigot

Don't unintentionally start this shit again

Some autismofest happened last time over bretonnias relevance as a faction since the empire BTFO on previous occasions.

Bretonnia crusades towards the Empire all the time, it's LITERALLY NOTHING due to the the empire having firearms and artillery. In earlier editions, Bretonnia would have won, but not nowadays.

I was the empire poster, that topic is done and over with since clearly no one agrees. I have no intentions to bring it up again. Genuinely want to see where this goes since Brets and imperials hardly have any full scale wars, and there aren't enough conflicts between 2 order factions in the setting

>someone posts lore
>autismoefoest
Are we only allowed to talk about army lists here?

Does anyone know how big this model is? It's from Iron Wind Miniatures. I'm looking to get a necromancer lord for my mantic undead legion, and I want to make sure I'm not buying out of scale.

>autismoefoest

Please spell it right.

>æutīsmœfœ§t
Please spell it write.

Show me the wiktionary entry so I can spell it right.

You can only talk about oldhammer, armylists and Role playing as a rat catcher, kindly no anything else

>Please spell it write
>write

Please spell it wight

You can still start a Wood Elves army. Many players of [new game which shall not be named] turned around and sold their discontinued minis on ebay because the rules won't be getting any GW support in the future. I got a lot of the ones you mentioned for dirt cheap. Threw them all in a bucket of Dawn Power Dissolver, went to bed, and took a denture brush to them the next day. Very happy with how they turned out and almost done painting them.

Honestly it's probably on the small side but stick it on a suitably impressive rock and it would be great regardless.

I love you

don't have to be from /pol/ to find that funny

wait no I didn't see the second image

I kind of like that Wight because it has what is probably bespoke mail and plate armor, and probably a dwarven sword, ages and ages ago. And things haven't really changed significantly. Not in the period of time one would assume. In all that time they've transitioned to oh... Gothic style plate? The transitional period between mail and plate in any reasonable universe not getting knocked on it's ass every few decades or centuries by Chaos is more like a few hundred years if that.

But not the Old World. oh no. Dwarves also sort of don't like changing perfectly good stuff which contributes.
And you know a lot of it's probably Dwarf because the Empire gets it's best stuff from them too, generally. And some petty pre-Imperial King sure as hell didn't have anyone who could match that degree of sophistication working for him. Except a Dwarf, on retainer. Probably several because you would specialize in that kind of thing and farm parts of it out to apprentices and decorative stuff to other craftsmen as required.

Speaking of, I'm confused - is there anything lesser than a Wight King? Are Grave Guard wights?

Yes, wights refer to the ancient warrior dead while skeletons are more recently deceased.

Brets would be outnumbered and outgunned.

BUT Skaven manipulation is involved and presumably they want this war to drag on.

Kicking off some kind of civil war or simply making some states unwilling to help or distracted could start to balance things a little.

Or the Skaven otherwise helping the Brets covertly.

Get that stick out of your ass you faggot.

I can see Skaven opening up some fortresses and cities for the Brets. They have a fair chance on the field, but the defenses of the Empire must be a pain in the arse for them.

Is this sarcasm?

I don't know if all-out war could even happen: and no, I'm not saying that in a narrator's wouldn't allow it sense.

Bretonnia would find it difficult to charge through mountain passes into the Empire, and vice versa - though the Bretonnians would have it harder, since the Dwarves are on the Empire's side and would close off the passes.

They could travel through the Wasteland, but that would upset Marienburg's tenuous position. And the High Elves are more eager to keep Marienburg independent than actually chose Bretonnia or the Empire, so what should be a stepping stone to northern conquest for either side becomes a no-fly zone, so to speak.

Even then, neither side could really handle an all-out war - this is before the era of total war that came with the modern age. The Empire has twenty different threats to ward off already, and Bretonnia has some of that too, and an economy that can't really support an extended campaign of any length or real size, let alone enough to smack down the Empire.

Reasons for Brets to suicidally go to war with the Empire can't be all that complex.

What are the Bret's most holy relics, somehow those relics end up over the border in Reikland.

Suicidal Bret's combined with Skaven fuckery could certainly cause some nasty casualties on both sides.

It's not that there'd never be reasons for it, it's just there are so many reasons that make it less feasible than it otherwise would be. I don't think either would be able to defeat each other - Bretonnia would not win against the Empire on their home terrain with their advanced weaponry, and the Empire wouldn't win against Bretonnia with their peasants all massed to defend their lord's lands and with the damsels and grail knights in force.

That's why I was thinking about the whole retrieving stolen items thing.

So the goal isn't to wipe each other out or conquer but something else.

With the Skaven gaining from the conflict in the long run.

I've been playing Fantasy for about 15 years and I only have Dark Elves and Warriors of Chaos.

I don't feel limited by only having two armies, though. I'm constantly changing my army list, adding new units, trying out stuff I wouldn't normally etc. It keeps things fun since I'm not the WAAC power gamer type.

ebay's dried up since Fantasy was axed. There's still stuff out there, but most people sold their shit off long ago

If we assume the bretonnians actually functioned like how they're portrayed in the 8ed BRB and not just as an army of historical knights like some retards insist on doing, the empire would be in for a long fight. Magical enhancement that allows the bretonnians to fight on their own terms even though it makes no sense would even the odds and make gun powder weapons far less effective. Not to mention the bretonnian air force dropping in on war machine crews and mitigating that advantage.

I think the brets would make a solid thrust in the Empire at first but get bogged down and get into nasty gorilla warfare when they try to occupy the area.

a war between the Empire and Bretonnia would eventually end in a stalemate.

If one side would gain the upper hand the Wood Elves would intervene.

On top of that, there is no good land Route between the two, The Passes over the Grey Mountains aren't as easy to navigate as TWW makes it look, and the lands north of Marienburg are swamps and marshes, treacherous and difficult to navigate.

A major War between the Empire would be mostly center around Montfort and Helmgart, and even then neither side could amass enough forces there to break through.

It would eventually come down to naval slugging fests in the Sea of Claws, but neither force is capable of mounting a naval invasion on each other either.

In any case, a major war between the Empire and Bretonnia would require all the Duchies and Counties to unite behind their King/Emperor, which isn't very likely for a purely Human conflict.

wouldn't the Wood Elves join in on the side of the Bretonnians?

if the Bretons were loosing, yes, if the Bretons got the upper hand they'd intervene in favor of the Empire. They are not interested in Bretonnians making any gains.

>They are not interested in Bretonnians making any gains.
But why? They've got their finger deeply in the Bretonnian pie, why would them expanding not be in their interests?

if the Bretonnians become too powerful they may become a threat to Athel Loren.

yes, it's not like the empire has a wider array of magics to choose from, their own institutions of magic and access to large amounts of firepower to overwhelm what number of forces the bretonnians pull up.
Magic is well and all but the empire has
>a wider selection to choose from
>their own champions of faith that are on par with muh ladyfags
>more effective artillery, infantry and a more disciplined cavalry force.

Wood elves aren't really interested in territorial gain.

t. Durthu

I've never felt the need to collect an army that isn't lizardmen

except when I started high elves because I didn't know lizardmen existed

for the treekin you could easily convert the kurnoth hunters with various shit to make them more monstrous

the hobbit has some neat great eagles

with a mix of harlequins and witch elves you could get some good old style wardancers

glade riders and warhawks are a bit more difficult if you're not willing to deviate from their original themes, because I believe converted terradons with draconic heads and with moth-like designs on wings could be a good alternative (you could even add small upper limbs to make it a forest drakes cavalry)

Remember that time that guy set fire to his entire dark elf army because of Age of Sigmar?

Ah, good times.

The absolute madman.

What an idiot

youtube.com/watch?v=plUPJ0inN4c

found it back

8:45 for the actual burning

what a good lad

>good times.
not really

Turns out that hobbies that involve spending hours building and painting little figures followed by hours arguing over rule definitions attracts those who's mental stability is questionable.

Huh.

In all seriousness I bet he regretted the decision about 24 hours after doing it, imagine the bank he could have made selling that shit.

with the prices going then, maybe $300-400?

I believe he now plays AoS

Will we be getting Krell when an old friend returns?
Kemmler needs something to make him useful

Wood elves don't actually give a shit what happens to bretonnia, it was pretty evident in the civil war when they only got involved because Malloubade was threatening to turn it into Sylvannia 2: undead bugaloo and that would have been too much for the weave to handle. Woodies look at the much bigger picture, the dick measuring wars between 2 different human factions are too inconsequential for them to intervene on a large scale unless chaos or undead get involved

Does the entire empire army get magical buffs on par with warrior priests? More variety in magic hardly means anything in the grand scheme of the war, and any wizards present are going to immediately be singled out by bretonnian lords looking for more exciting sport

They can't siege any of the castles down without the peasants doing most of the important work, and peasants are both incredibly shit and also not a good force to use outside of your own borders.

It's magic backed renaissance/early industrial revolution forces vs magical kerniggets.

And having a variety of magic is very useful because the enemy can't react as well to it, everyone knows Damsels will use Light, Heavens and Beasts whilst the Empire will use everything from Fire to Death. Try and react as your knights are trapped by flaming bonds as magic rains from the skies and the floor gives way under your feet. The more ways you have to attack your enemy, the better off you are.

And the blessing of the Lady doesn't seem to do much for all the knights that get royally fucked by Orcs, unless you've supped from the Grail, you're just a guy on a horse.

Most sieges had nothing to do with tearing down the city walls. All the bretonnians have to do is surround the city and demand that the faggots come out and fight like men, or suffer a slow and undignified death by starvation

Vampire counts use 3 types of magic and still fuck up imperials, greenskins manage with 2 types of magic, elves know all lores of magic but tend to stick with high or dark because single wind magic is seen as child's play, skaven only have 2 lores. How does knowing the enemy only has a limited selection of spells to choose from help when those spells will still fuck you up just the same?

>nd the blessing of the Lady doesn't seem to do much for all the knights that get royally fucked by Orcs, unless you've supped from the Grail, you're just a guy on a horse.
Which is why I said big the Brets were portrayed like they are in the BRB. Current Brets with no wards get BTFO

It's also pretty insulting to think bretonnians can't do shit to the empire because they're more advanced when Stone Age beastmen and early Iron Age greenskins and barbarian northmen are their most common enemies and still manage to score decent amounts of wins

What, they're going to surround and starve out the people with GUNS AND CANNONS? They can't do shit to stop themselves getting bombarded without setting up all of their encircling forces out of range and that means having more troops required to just sit around waiting for their food to run out. And that's just ASKING for a relieving army to come along and smash your flimsy ring of forces surrounding the castle

And that of course this situation wouldn't even happen as beating your enemy by starving them out instead of fighting them head on is completely against their code of arms and so they would have the peasants build ladders and towers and attack the walls. Brettonians make Pistoliers look like patient strategic masters.

Source on that timeline thingy laddie?

I started Wood Elves right around when fantasy was being discontinued
Managed to nab waywatchers, warhawk riders etc. on the day they went on Last Chance but I missed out on the Sisters of Twilight which pissed me off big time
I had them in my shopping cart the day before and something came up, next day suddenly everything's last chance and they were gone

I almost started dwarfs recently but managed to restrain myself as I have heaps of elves to struggle through

Had to get some of the new 40K minis to have something easier to paint now and then because glade guard are infuriating to assemble, rank up and paint

They have performed real good for me thus far though, points earned back in earnest each time

In a heated war between the 2 nations, what self respecting empire leader would decline the bretonnians demands to stop hiding behind their guns and walls and come out and fight like men? Theyd lose the support of their men really quickly if they didnt. surrounding the city is a last resort, though I do agree the Brets would likely just move on and pick a more manly target

Empire 8ed rulebook

>What are trebuchetes, ladders and towers

Someone who wrote that thing about knights getting shredded by cannons is retarded. Obviously they would bring levies to do the siege dirty job for them. (I.e. peasants)

Since a McGuffin is under the capitol of both, HE will not let either side beat the other.

If they had brains they would realise and take advantage of the fact that the Bretonnians can't really do anything outside of large battles on open terrain where they knights can get big charges in.

Hiding in your castle and lobbing explosives over the walls isn't being a pussy if it works, because then you can just kill everyone who says you were being a pussy and rewrite history to say you charged out and slaughtered the prissy knights.

They smashed Araby without bringing any peasants, and according to the BRB they also toppled orc fortresses in the badlands that not even the dwarfs managed to defeat, again while on crusade and with no peasants.

Pic not related, just fucking hilarious

Told you the writer is a retard

what a fucking guy

Yeah, Trebuchets are going to be a great help against thick stone walls with cannon towers. You do realise that Medieval sieges took months even if they were actively trying to break down the wall right? Onagers and Trebuchets fired at shitty angles so little force was actually enacted on the walls, and they were inaccurate as shit so you rarely hit the same area twice.

Cannons on the other hands can blast apart siege weapons and towers with ease as you can essentially point and shoot.

And who the fuck are you sending up those ladders and towers that make it? Men-at-Arms? Because the knights aren't going to rub shoulders with each other in a dingy tower before fighting on foot.

Should I paint my Night goblins purple, black or bit of both?
I already have like 7 of them painted purple

ASMANYELVESASTHEPLOTDEMANDS

i prefer black, purple looks like what a kid would paint his new kewl gewblinzz

the thing is, the empire will not just let their wizards be exposed to a bunch of horseniggers.

And peasants make up the vast majority of both a bretonnian host, and their morale is shaky at best.

And when the bretonnians are besieging a settlement, their artillery will be woefully underpowered compared to artillery that the empire has. You must be an extreme fanboi to believe that bretonnian artillery will be able to actually mount a siege.

And considering that peasants are drafted straight from the lord's holdings any long siege will end up destroying the bretonnians' own supply lines and their economy.

Pictured : greenskin raiders ambushing dwarves at the first battle of computer top.

I'm bored

>there is a tabletop map on the steam workshop
>there is an user playing the TT Literally on his computer.

I fucking know that feel.

Starting High Elves, using IoB Seaguard as spearmen and 4th edition archers, which actually look better in my opinion.

Maybe sell your soul to the Devil IDK.

Best option is to wait and maybe GW will give them a spin on the MtO one day.

It's not as if the Empire can necessarily prevent it - Bretonnia has Pegasus knights, who would probably be eager to earn glory by taking out the enemy spellcaster. If he's on the field at all, there'll be a risk of him dying.

Most of the Bretonnian armies are Men-at-Arms, it's true. But while they're closer to militia than the Empire's professional troops, they aren't actually just levied peasants - they're taken aside and given equipment and a small amount of training, and spend most of their time guarding their lord's land and acting as his private army. It's not going to devastate their economy unless they take a ton of peasant mob levies as well - and that's also assuming that Battle Pilgrims don't tag along. They'd be fanatical to climb up the walls and fight the enemy.

I'm not going to pretend like cannons aren't more effective than trebuchets, but trebuchets do have an arc of fire. They could theoretically fire over the walls and try and hit the engineers guild or the armory or the food storage. It would be dickish, yes, but the Bretonnians aren't trying to win a siege, they'd be trying to draw out their cowardly enemy to fight honorably on the field of battle. And if we trust TW:W, you could potentially bless a trebuchet with magic, giving it a strength that even cannons lack.

You fail to mention the fact that the Men-of-Arms have to be raised from peasants, so the more of them you have, the less peasants you have tending the fields. And in a agriculture focused economy you need like 80%+ of your population tending fields.

And don't even MENTION blessing fucking rocks, couldn't they have had them launch bags of holy water or something? Or have some cool effect like blue flaming rocks where they lit holy water on fire, because that would be fucking metal.

Professional soldiers also love the idea of being safe and comfortable while cheerfully shooting at people with no hope of fighting back.
If anything, morale would improve in a short term siege.

I paint mine purple with blue moons.

Use the LotR Eagles as great eagles, everyone else does it, they're the right scale and look SO much better that the pile of chromosomes that the old eagle was
You just need to get square bases for them

>Could it lead to an all out war like the war of the beard?

No, for a lot of reasons.

1. The Empire and Bretonnia are too split up for something like that. For the Elves and the Dwarfs to go to war all it took is one hyper-empire's king saying "fuck those guys." No way Karl is going to rally an excursion into not-France when Averland would rather fight unicorns and Stirland is worried about Sylvania. The Empire unites in the face of world-ending threats, not border skirmishes against trade partners. Likewise, the Bret dukedoms aren't so friendly to each other that they would rush to errantry war for one another over something like this.

2. Diplomacy. The Empire and Bretonnia are both human factions which have been living together for centuries without major war, which is actually amazing. The fact that they have been able to de-escalate the by now-hundreds, if not thousands, of skirmishes over their history means they're pretty good at saying "ok time to cool off." Knife-ears and stunties don't have this, which is why they tend to get into one major war and stay that war forever.

3. Dependency. The Brets love a chaos buffer state, beer, someone to keep Marienburg busy, etc. The Empire enjoys a buffer against orcs, welfs, and a bit of a norscan magnet. When both are functioning, and they usually are, things work out pretty well and no one would want to see that changed.

This, and for Treekin just use those AoS Tree guys who are bigger than a dryad but smaller than a Treeman. They look much better than the old Treekin.

What's a good starting point value for 9th Age? Got some Lizardmen that I never really got around to building/painting/playing with, and I'm getting the urge to move some blocks of dinomen around.

Is Master of Magic (roll 3d6 drop lowest for power dice) the de facto best casting discipline? The fact that I can't take Life/Druidism is a bit annoying, as that was my favorite discipline the few times I played WHFB 7e.

Elves:"Magic is great"

Dwarfs:"Magic is ghey"

Elves:"Also, no drinking booze"

Dwarfs"..."

War was inevitable.

The metal ones are so dank.

The starter set plastic ones not so much.

Still better scaled than the current plastic abominations GW left us with.

I'm planning on converting mine with left over helmets and doing something about the arms looking like they're all dislocated. I might even just sculpt some bare heads instead of the weird face masks they're all wearing atm.

And don't even get me started on the current plastic high elf spearmen.

>Elves:"Also, no drinking booze"
This is news to me. Wood elves have a patron god of wine.