5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/dragon/DRA12_barbersilverymoon_jbt.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=frDamZjCbkI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

druid

Reposting from last thread...
Any ideas for my Ninja (Shadow Monk) character? So far I throw Kunai and do ninja handsigns when I cast my spells. I also run like a Naruto so that's pretty cool. As weeby as it sounds I wish I could use a Longsword (fluffed as a katana obviously) but for that I'd go Kensei from Reforged.

Bring back 2e dual-classing.
You know you want it.

Kys

Has anyone faced an insanity of mind flayers and their elder brain? How'd you fare?

...that's what 5e multiclassing is. Are you thinking of multiclassing where you progress as two classes at once?

Naw man, we gotta bring back starting over at level 1 and being unable to use you abilities if you want experience.

No, dual classing only superficially seems like 5e's multiclassing. What he apparently wants is that retarded 2E mechanic it had where you would lose everything the first class gave you but hit dice until you reached the same level in the second class. Then you'd get back the abilities you'd got, but you could never advance in the first class again, continuing levels in the second.

And only humans could do it.

That isn't multi-classing. That's Dual-Classing.

Has anyone tried gestalting in 5e?

...Which is what i said I want to make a return.

Oh, that part of Dual Classing. Honestly I kinda wish there was some penalty for Multiclassing because classes are so front loaded that it doesn't make sense for most people to never multiclass.

Uhg.

Bolas, Blowgun, Shuriken

FUCK YEAH!
There's gotta be some homebrew for this or something right?

The only part I find questionable is how easy it is to take advantage of it to get armor proficiencies.

You don't get the proficiencies the first level of that class would have got you.

For example, a Fighter 1/Bard 1 will have heavy armor, martial weapons, etc, but will only have one instrument and one skill, whereas a Bard 1/Fighter 1 will have three instrument and skill proficiencies, but no heavy armor.

Yo! Good ideas. I also want to either have a mage cast explosive runes on my kunai or strap bombs to them.

Two classes at once is called gestalt.

Someone give me something other then Rogue that can get a bunch from a 2 level dip in Barbarian. I was thinking a Strength Spellless Revised Ranger but not sure how that would work in practise.

Explosions are not stealthy.

Fighter or paladin. They're both tanky enough to get a lot of mileage out of Reckless Attack, especially on GWM builds.

Glyph of Warding would not work on your Kunais, and bombs are kinda hard to work with. ALSO is correct.

Nah, old Multiclassing had you choose it at level 1 and you started as a level 1 Fighter and a level 1 Wizards for example. All your Experience was divided between the two classes and because of the way the experience for leveling up worked you were often something like a level 4 Thief, level 3 Cleric while everyone else was level 5. It often made you either OP or completely fucking worthless.

I want to refluff rock gnomes to make them more like elemental earth fey and less like meme steampunk inventors. How do these abilities sound as replacements for Artificer's Lore and Tinker?

Earth Lore. Whenever you make an Intelligence (Nature) check related to rocks, gems, soil or other kinds of earth, you can add twice your proficiency bonus, instead of any proficiency bonus you normally apply.

Natural Elementalist. You know the mold earth cantrip. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

Thought about Fighter but I'm playing a Fighter/Thief in a 3e game I'm in.

On the other hand those extra ASI would probably give me a good unarmoured AC.

Artificer's lore is REALLY good for knowing magical items.
Your replacement isn't as good of a replacement.

I'm already going rogue for sneak attack so damage shouldn't be a problem. What would be the best time to take one or two fighter levels for whip proficiency?

It's the reason they don't use it anymore to eliminate trap options. Then again they made the Wot4E archetype and thought that was ok.

Is there any way to make a decent Dual Wielding Ranger or does the Bonus Action use make it worthless compared to Ranged?

TWF is only actually good on a ranger. Throw Hunter's Mark on an enemy and go to town.

1st level nets you heavy armor and martial weapons. Makes it pretty good to go first level.
You still get a good amount of skills by multiclassing into rogue.

You can't move the Hunter's Mark without giving up your offhand attack. So by the time you move it on an enemy and hit them with 4d6+10 damage they're likely to be dead before you can even get an offhand attack on them.

Whips are trash weapons so any time works. Either start Fighter so you have better HP and can wear medium armor in your vulnerable first couple levels, or start Rogue to get an extra skill and take your level of Fighter at 3rd, after having gained Cunning Action.

It was the best thing that ever happened to me, user. My life's been wonderful since I ran into them. Trust me. In fact, you should go head to your nearest one right now. I can show you the way.

Even if you give up that one bonus action, that's 2d6+dex x2 at 5th level onward, x3 on turns when they're still up. That ain't bad considering the resource cost.

I recommend a Ranger/Swashbuckler for the hunters mark, extra attack and sneak attack.

Anyone done Barber of Silverymoon yet? Looks fun.

I utilized the hair mechanics via Jenny Greenteeth in another campaign when a player asked her for a haircut. Took an ungodly amount of damage through a failed roll but survived and now he has a nice ice knife hair.

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/dragon/DRA12_barbersilverymoon_jbt.pdf

Starting up a New game, and I intend to do a lot more high powered campaign than you ordinarily would.

My plan is to instantly kill the players, and have then brought back to life by a higher entity who wants them to do something cryptic. Not gonna spend more time explaining that.

The idea is to give them a weapon of their own choosing. This is an extraordinary weapon that scales with their level - they will never need another weapon.

How would you scale it? My first drafts look like:
Lvl 1: +1 to hit
Lvl 3: magic weapon +1 with a minor supplementing effect for their chosen archetype
Lvl 7: magic weapon +2 with an additional minor effect based on how they have played their character so far
Lvl 11: magic weapon +3 which empowers one of their class features
Lvl 15: magic weapon +4 which has a major effect that supplements how the character normally solves his problems.
Lol 19: magic weapon 5+, not yet sure what to do at this point, will probably change depending on how it all plays out.

We have had a lot of games from 1 to 20, so I know well get there.

How does this sound? What would you change?

I am not sure how to make it supplement a caster, but for starters, I am just allowing the +1 to hit to work when the caster makes a magical attack with a to-hit (like EB).

I want this to be a very big part of their power, and make them rely heavily on it. My main concern is that somebody picks a monk - could I get away with a "magic weapon" glove that supplements the unarmed strikes?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to take some time and think of a better trait that's still thematically appropriate.

I fucking love OPs picture. That shit is High Elf as fuck.

Female unicorn knights? Feathers as aesthetic and decoration? Colours of the sky? Thin and delicate looking weapons and details, that don't truly betray any strength? Little magical animals, and all in a enchanted forest?

Fuck yes.

It's a fun little adventure that makes a good side quest. The machine at the end can cause some weird results so unless you don't mind it I would remove it.

My players figured some stuff out and the Gnoll Monk went down the well and burst out into the main workshop, he went full Jackie Chan and was throwing people into shelves and stuff. It was one of his proudest moments as a Monk.

Ceremony is the weirdest spell. I can already see the last-minute all-or-nothing marriages that will come out of that.

>My plan is to instantly kill the players

Don't know if you're the same guy from the last thread, but I said to him he should just start the game with the characters already dead. Is there a reason you don't want to do that?

>could I get away with a "magic weapon" glove that supplements the unarmed strikes?

I don't see why not.

Better yet, the awkward forced marriages that turn into sexual tension and then quickly blossom into true love.

at 5th, DEX 18
S&B+Dueling:
2d8+2d6+8+4 = 28
2d8+2d6+8+4 = 28
= 56

TWF:
2d6+2d6+8 = 22
3d6+3d6+12= 33
= 55

TWF only wins out against Sword and Board if you spend 3 turns attacking the same enemy without moving/recasting your Hunter's Mark. Your AC is lower, your reaction attacks and Horde Breaker are weaker, and you need two magical weapons instead of one.

It has some use cases, but Rangers isn't one.

Two questions:

What races have you omitted from your games and campaigns?

How would you stat Sea Elves as a PC race?

I'm contemplating not having dragonborn or tieflings and removing dark elves in favour of sea elves.

>How would you stat Sea Elves as a PC race?
youtube.com/watch?v=frDamZjCbkI

Give them Amphibious, Swimming Speed, proficiency in Trident and Net, Wis +1

Thanks my dude, I really like that picture too.

Mind-whats? No idea what you're talking about user.

Only race I've ever removed is Half-Elves (and changed half-orcs to full-orcs), because I prefer the Elder-Scrolls approach of children always being the same race as the mother and thus half-races not existing. It does alot to cut down on special-snowflake characters who have like 12 different racial bloodlines.

As for statting sea-elves... eh, there are enough elf races already, but if you MUST do it, use the standard elf chasis and add in a swim speed (similar to how wood elves get additional land speed) and make their +1 stat constitution or something because swimming takes more stamina and than walking.

Bretons are the half elves of Elder Scrolls. Not sure how you'd quite do them for 5e though. They don't scream elf because the mixing happened ages ago, so you can't just throw some basic elf shit on. Something magic humany.

I run a weekly 6 player campaign with the potential for a 7th who keeps not making it.

We wrapped up a 5 month long campaign and everyone enjoyed themselves but I felt it wasn't very challenging for them.

>everyone starts new characters
>faf about LMoP as a breather
>spend all my time working on scaling the encounters up for party size
>party blows through them like it's nothing
>later get their asses beat and come close to a party wipe from three Bugbears in a Redbrand hideout that I didn't even mess with
>mfw sorcerer critical fails her first death roll

What about taking the Dark Elf stat and reworking them so they have powers similar to the Triton and giving them an amphibious trait with a swim speed.

Are sea elves elves that are excellent seafarers and divers or do they actually live underwater?

Sea Elves in this case didn't abandon their homeland when it sank like fucking Atlantis, so they're changed by it and live in their sunken kingdom.

Bretons aren't really half-elves though, because racial mixing doesn't happen naturally in Elder Scrolls. There was lots of magic fuckery and forced eugenics involved.

I know, but for a long time I didn't. I found out after they were referenced as half elves somewhere, combining definitions to my memory.

Mechanically they do kind of show it, humans with better magic ties as starter bonuses and such.

To be fair the "no half-races" shit was an obvious attempt to avoid representing all of these half-half races graphically.

They're half elves in the sense that they have both eleven and human blood, yes, but that didn't happen naturally. A Nord woman and an Altmer man will still produce a Nord child, and an Altmer Woman and Nord man will produce an Altmer child, under normal circumstances. The Bretons are only possible because magical fuckery and eugenics experiments actually made the race-mixing possible when it normally isn't. Basically the elves wanted to create a "superior" race of slaves by forcing some of their own traits into the children of the humans they had enslaved.

I know. I know how they came to exist. And that they're the only real example of a half anything in the setting while not being what D&D would call half-.

And I mean if all that fucking shit was needed for Bretons to happen then imagine how half-orc/orsimer equivalents would have had to happen. I bet someone already thought about it and way too much.

>Marriage. You touch adult humanoids willing to be bonded together in marriage. For the next 24 hours, each target gains a +2 bonus to AC and saving throws while they are within 30 feet of each other. A creature can benefit from this ceremony just once.
>just once
But what if I want to be polygamous?

Then you don't get +2 while your next partner does.

They all have to be married at once. It doesn't specific how many humanoids can be part of the ceremony.

Then they all get married at once, derp

What happened when you reached the prismatic colouring machine?

Some of those effects look reasonably powerful or iffy for wealth (especially the gem one unless you limit how often they can cut it heavily, or the whatthefuck of your hair being a gateway to another plane of existence). Any hints or tips on how best to deal with them?

I only had one PC try to use it. They ended up with the Lightning Hair for the Dragon Sorcerer thanks to some clever intimidation on the Evil Clone.

It didn't really change much but failing some of the saves can just completely fuck a PC up. So warn them out of character that this machine is very dangerous and likely to kill them.

Oh come on, 35 damage probably won't kill a 4th to 6th level character.

It's not the damage ones you have to worry about.

I'm really excited to be playing a rogue in a campaign this Friday.

Will be the first time I've played an actual melee class in a p&p rpg.

Anyone got rogue stories to keep up the hype? Absolutely love the concept of the classic assassin in a fantasy setting.

Firstly killing them by design is lame
Secondly why would a wizard want a +x magic weapon

The secret to defeating the lich is that the killing blow must be struck by a married pair

I remember reading a homebrew of a trait on here, where the characters nerves were damaged and the player could not see his own current hp while the DM kept track of his HP without revealing it. the PC had to do medicine checks to see his current hp.

I doubt anyone saved it. I wanted to know what bonuses it gave.

I have a player who started Gestalt'd 3 Wizard/3 Artificer when the other players were level 1, since he was playing a really old guy who was supposedly a university professor.

Honestly, it's not that broken; a character can only do so much in a given turn, so while his individual actions packed a punch, he was still a squishy caster that could get killed in one lucky hit, so the fighter, barbarian, cleric, and bard had to work together to keep him alive/do the consistent damage. So far everybody's been enjoying it just fine.

ghey

>level 6 character plays with level 1s

Y tho

Not gonna lie, I do like the idea of fire hair, or gem hair.

Any word on what the next adventure is going to be? I'm not too keen on TftYP and I really want another proper adventure...

Caster barbarian when?
I want to be an angry prophet

Dragon Barbarian when?

I want to fly and breath fire while raging.

No word yet.

>since he was playing a really old guy who was supposedly a university professor
I checked with the rest of the group and they were willing to roll with it, and it made sense for a character that was pretty good at magic to at least be /decent/ at magic, mechanically.

Basically because my players are mature and I can still give the party challenges tailored to their composition. It balances out because he rolled a 6 on constitution, so he's really, really squishy.

Fuck... Alright, so they've done cults and dragons, elemental evil, drow & demons, Ravenloft and giants. What else can they touch on? Beholders?

There is a d&d wiki barb that does this.
Its crappy until level 14 when you can fly. Or 10 when you get lay on hands for some reason.

>its also shit until level 10 or even 14 and worse than totem

Aboleths soon, friend.

When?

Honestly I have faith something similar will be made in official stuff sooner or later. Dragons are a very rage like creature a lot of the time, so it makes sense.

NOW

What's the best strength thrown weapon?

Your mom
>holds up hand for high five from thread
\o

Javelin.

The Night Below would be nice to see revisited.

Hell yeah it would!

So how good is Zealot Barbarian? It seems like the best choice for a pure damage Barbarian because the aura gives a fair bit of an increase in Average damage and it happens on your turn, so you can charge lots enemies to get the most out of it.

Hopefully.
Honestly some d&d wiki shit is OK
Id say dragon barb would be nice as
3-resist color damage while raging+deal damage of color
6-breathweapon on rage and short rest? Maybe long rest. Keys off con
10- dragon scales when raging
14 - fly when raging

>DMing a mostly chaotic stupid party
>not really murderhobo but rather volatile overall
>they come across an older man bleeding on the side of the road, alone
>he wagon burning and his coin laying all around him as he is trying to drag himself into the treeline
>the players gather up his money, extinguish the fire, and help him back to health with no reward asked for

Any wholesome moments in your games lately, /5eg/?

Seems about right. Something about the idea of a fire covered man with dragon wings charging people with a Greataxe just feels great.

Heck, they could just do a book focusing on the underdark as a campaign setting.