Dungeons and Dragons as an academic discipline

>Dungeons and Dragons as an academic discipline

Would you?

What about D&D would I be studying? The history of the game and it's cultural influence? The actual design of the mechanics? The psychology of why we play games like it? The social impact playing it has? Give me something to work with.

Like you mean getting a Bachelor's in D&D?

Sounds like a total waste of time, even by the standards of the idiotic degree fields colleges offer nowadays.

>Would you?

only the two on the left

In a light-hearted game, I played a Rogue with a doctorate in Dungeoneering. Does that count?

Everyone who plays D&D is a bachelor.

Of these and other possibilities: Which would be best? Which would be worst?

Ugh, no. Disgusting in every way, intellectually and physically.

Fundamentally, it would be similar to going to school for improv acting. Doesn't qualify for even a shitty useless degree unless you tack on a lot of related sociology.

People nowadays have no idea what choices they have with comparatively so many more women in the hobby. Back in the '90s and I assume earlier if you found a girl who was into this shit and wasn't crazy she was as keeper.

>Doesn't qualify for even a shitty useless degree unless you tack on a lot of related sociology.

Add ebola to herpes. Now you're talking.

I'd be down, merely as an excuse to play it more. I'd take it over any of the ethnic lit classes I've had to take any day

As a minor, maybe. I never cared much for the humanities classes. They were fun, don't get me wrong, but never really imparted any practical knowledge or skills. But I could see myself doing a Major in Progamming and software engineering with a Minor in.... call it Algebraically-Guided Collaborative Fiction. Sounds about right. Now if only I could afford to go to a college.

Sure, why not?

I'd rather get a degree in "Game Design" than a degree in a game that's owned by WotC. There's no guarantee I'd be hired by them just because I got a D&D degree.

> Would you?
Pic related

I mean, it'd be something I'm at least good at

To be completely honest, that is my experience today as well.

You're good at Marxist critical hit theory?

Hatefuck
Fuck
Fuck
Marry

It already fucking is. People fail out of it all the time

Seems silly.

I'd be all for having it as an elective course, I think it has value teaching simple maths, problem solving, socializing, plus studying historical cultures.

Doesn't have to be D&D though, probably better being GURPS historical stuff really. Though could do D&D at like elementary school level then advance to GURPS stuff.

Yes as long as it was tied into something else like sociology, psychology or acting.

Funnily enough the GURPS Camelot book from the 90's is required reading for an Arthurian English lit class at Indiana University because of just how detailed it is.

It feels like it would be a cross between theatre, english (drama, creative fiction), and communications degrees. That honestly sounds pretty cool.