In a war setting with genetically modified organisms being used as weapons, which creatures would be most useful...

In a war setting with genetically modified organisms being used as weapons, which creatures would be most useful? What qualities would make a good bio-weapon? Outside of combat, what are some useful applications for genetic engineering?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BKTkCa5nB_8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterile_insect_technique
scp-wiki.net/scp-149
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bio-weapon? Just make a dude that explodes in a mist of nerve-gas or something. Other useful applications: Tons and tons of varied and willing sex-slaves, every shape imagineable.

bump

>What qualities would make a good bio-weapon?
ability to reproduce quickly
ability to differentiate friend and foe
above all, adaptability, so that the weapon is never obsolete
some sort of kill switch or way to easily dispose of the bio weapon once it's usefulness has run its course

Bees filled with wandering spider venom or something.

With the kind of horrifying stuff we can already make, this level of technological setting could probably give them something worse than wandering spider venom, no bueno.

The answer is always microscopic organisms as bioweapons.
Anything larger is a meme in the strictest sense.

If you're going for 'realism' or authenticity, diseases and microscopic bioweapons of various sorts.

If you don't give a fuck about that and just want cool awesome military monsters, go with whatever looks cool, mean and brutal, fuck practicality.

Definately not a tadpole-tailed asshead ant.

Weaponized xenos, velociraptors/ bio engineered highly aggressive, highly intelligent, sneaky roughly man sized super predators.

Unless the enemy have air filters.

forgot pic

Genetic augmentations to already trained individual soldiers would likely be more effective.

Shit would turn into this pretty quickely one way or another

youtube.com/watch?v=BKTkCa5nB_8

trouble brewing.jpg

A giant living brain in a capsule. You drop the capsule on a city, it opens up, and the brain starts going wild zapping everything in a certain radius with the bio-electricity in generates from thinking too hard. Slap some tentacles on that fucker to smash anything it can't zap or slap missiles out of the air, and give it a bone shell attached to other tentacles that comes apart like a jigsaw puzzle so it can fire electrify while still having a bunch of shield it can use to defend itself.

I wonder if this is what working at Umbrella R&D feels like?

You're dumb, Xenomorphs are a shitty weapon.

Making a bunch of combat synths with guns and built in motion trackers would beat the shit out of them.
Or a helicopter gunship.

Adaptability is a big one on any kind of battlefield.

A swarm of critters that could split apart and attack from different angles, one right after the other, cycling in and out.

There was this sci-fi book, Slant, in which a crime scene consisted of garden-grade bionano being used to sexually augment a woman.

The extra vaginas in her cheeks were actually intended, but the transmutation went so wrong that she died.

>The extra vaginas in her cheeks were actually intended
Alright...

Xenomorphs are actually a very effective weapon, so long as you're not on the planet. For every xenomorph spawned, you gain resources and the enemy loses resources. Plus, the psychological factor could make the enemy take irrational action when they would otherwise know better. The problem comes after, when you have a planet full of xenomorphs to deal with.

It should be incredibly lethal, reproduce like crazy, be good at bypassing attempts at containment and ideally be completely uncontrollable.

>Oh, just spend thousands on genetic research and engineering to do something we've been doing for years.

Are you dumb?

You know how in every Aliens comic the military comes up with this great plan and then it all falls apart and everyone dies anyway? It's because they've got leaders who think like you.

Combat synths work in the short term, but they're ungodly fucking expensive to manufacture and their only real benefit over purpose-trained human spec-ops is that they can't be capture and impregnated, which isn't the xenomorph's first priority in a combat scenario anyway.

>Or a helicopter gunship.
With magical x-ray vision and weapons capable of shooting them while they're underground? Otherwise you get about one pass with that thing before they realize that wandering around in the open isn't a great idea, and they're averse to doing that to begin with. Even outside of industrial areas they naturally gravitate towards cave systems, and they tunnel like ants.

>Other useful applications: Tons and tons of varied and willing sex-slaves, every shape imagineable.
Provided for free in enemy territory. They're all sterile and a generation later, you move in your colonists unopposed.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterile_insect_technique

Take a look at the Dead Space series and let us know what you think.

Dryads and nymphs are actually biological weapons generated by forest and river environs to reduce the population of human invaders.

Consider also the non-weapon parts of war.
Modern warfare is as much about communication lines, recognisance ability, supply lines, medical care on and off the battlefield.

IRL the exosuits that the military is developing are mostly useful for quickly loading a truck with hundreds of pounds of ammo and gear faster than any human could.

People have envisioned concepts for future coffin-like robots designed to pick up and treat the injured in disaster and battle zones and with the added flair of sci-fi biotech you could even imagine bio-drones that not only retrieve injured allies for repair but gobble up anything in their path for reconstitution into more and different troops and gear.

Some of the most efficient and fucked-up robots are modeled after snakes. Designed to swim crawl or climb through over and under and obstacle and while current models are meant for looking into difficult to reach places like collapsed buildings you could easily imagine a biotech seeker-snake with a paralysing dart-gun. You could even take inspiration from various myths of hoop-snakes and have them able to take a wheel shape for extra speed when stealth is no longer necessary and have the charge end in them flinging themselves through the air at targets.

How about bio-napalm stuff like fever-bees or whatever those things were called.

>which creatures would be most useful?
Super soldiers.The use of modified viruses and bacteria would cause fission-fusion reactions in major populational centers
> Outside of combat, what are some useful applications for genetic engineering?
Food production,waste disposal and medicine.
>Anything larger is a meme
or worse,biowank.
>You know how in every Aliens comic the military comes up with this great plan and then it all falls apart and everyone dies anyway?
TIL Comic book writers are military experts.
But they fail because human sperm is absurdly persistent.

The qualities should match the aplication. Like a disposable drone for urban warfare, quickly matured and dying if it isn't fed a specific chemical within 24 hours. For longer combat operations, it has a injector implant.

A humanoid shape and size would make it deal well with most of our environmen, it even might use normal body armor and helmet. Heck, it could have a gun prop so as to mistake it for a normal soldier at a glance or at a distance..

Extended arm bones, optimized skeleton, bladed gauntlets and joints that bend both ways would make it a great climber and terrifying in closed spaces. Inteligence isn't necessary, just a agressive instinct targeting anyone without the proper IFF transponders.

It's actually based on homo sapiens but inhuman. A civilian variant permits extensive testing for genetic therapies, drug test, stem cell implants, artificial enhancement rejection and organ growth, making modern medicine and pharmacology both safer and faster paced. The corporation/government has even won the graces of pacifists, for its propaganda for public aceptance included an extensive batch of tests which isolated a small number of transgenic foodstuffs which actually were harmful for humans.

Some even say Homo Homunculus has saved far more lives than it killed.

>biologically altered organisms to use in war
I mean, what could go wrong?

>implying failure and mass death werent their goals

what could go wrong?

The practical answer is plagues. If you want a particularly evocative one, cordyceps fungus now infects humans. The infected humans climb to the top of buildings like they're going to suicide jump, then just grab onto something and cling while a mushroom sprouts out of their head. Then the spores infect other humans.

If you want hand-made zerg or something instead (I mean fuck practicality, let's make something that's a good setting):
- Great big gorilla-things with big claws for burrowing and maiming. Maybe they have scales like a pangolin.
- Like scorpions, but their tails have little scythes instead of syringes. They hunt in packs and simultaneously hamstring everything at once.
- A huge snake that lives in a huge snail shell that acts like a winch. The snake shoots out of the shell and latches onto someone and pulls it back to its nest. Maybe the shell has some legs too for it to scuttle around on.

>Outside of combat
- All your cattle now makes square poop like a wombat. Except it's big and you can just use it as bricks for the awful cowshit homes people have to live in after my above suggestions ruin everything.

Id say something that is effective and can only reproduce in a lab. People shit on Umbrella for making a retarded uncontrollable plauge, but everybody here is gunning for uncontrollable monstrosities both disease wise or beast wise.

Seriously. Isn't the idea of a bio weapon so you can kill the enemy population while leaving infrastructure and resources alone the entire idea instead of indiscriminate bombing? You want to kill the enemy while not having it backfire and kill your people as well.

realistically viral or chemical bio weapons are the best option

If you wanna go fantasy fun, hyper aggressive genetically engineered monsters, look at some mad shit insects can do

Giant Hornet Plus.

>GIANT
>ZOMBIE
>SHAAAAAAAARKS

Maybe they were on to something when it came to Eveline in resident evil 7
>Appearance elicits sympathy and desire to protect
>Can be designed to look like one of the locals
>Begins controlling surrounding humans, driving them to infect more people
>Generates fodder in the form of Molded
>Disposable
>Medication ensures that buyers have to keep paying lest it turns on them

Just needed to perfect the control method.

Eat Shit.

The only problem is that people think xenomorphs are useful in any way at all instead of just purging them right away, the most dangerous part about these aliens is act of plot.

Synthetics can be built stronger, tougher and are without fear compared to humans, carrying heavier firepower and more ammunition plus they can be coated in a acid-neutralizing material. Mobile sentry guns would work great too.

The fungus in 7 was too much for me even compared to the usual Resi virusus, it was outright magical in the shit it was doing.

Also how did that shit not spread like wildfire considering the location it was breeding in and the length of time it was active?

Xenomorphs are like, the easiest thing in the world to beat.
Get a few conscript prisoners, outfit them with the highest yield explosives possible, let them get captured, detonate.
You've just fucked the queen and most of the hive. Go cleanup.

Wow, that actually IS a good plan, can't believe such a simple yet effective solution was overlooked.

But what about when the genetic supermen go crazy and try to take over the universe?!

Dead Space is a terrible series, it should have stopped after the second game at the latest. (What a terrible ending)

I forget the comics name but I want to say it was by 2000 ad.

Basically dog human hybrids. They're bipedal, smart enough, tough as nails breed like crazy and love you more than anything in the world.

They lack the terror effects of Xenomorph but will die for you (or whoever) have built in scent tracking, short life spans and just smart enough to problem solve without crossing that "why shouldn't I be in charge?" Threshold.

>Basically dog human hybrids
>breed like crazy and love you more than anything in the world
Hmm...

Pretend you cross bred a Warcraft Orc with a golden retriever and the mental capacity of a 8year old human.That's what I'm nudging towards.

Naturally enjoy being in packs and love structure. Understand you're a person and therefore the alpha but in your absence they will go with whoever is the boss.

Swarms of mosquitoes that fly around injecting people with AIDS.

Its a shame the sequel was bad.

scp-wiki.net/scp-149

I know this is pleb-tier, but I remember the Hunger Games had something similar to this concept.

Amorphous blobs of biomatter just smart enough to collect sharp objects and hide waiting for prey. They consume anything remotely edible in order to reproduce by mitosis, never getting more than 200lbs or so.

Killing them takes either concerted effort as they are highly redundant, or specific toxins owned by their creators.

A man with swords for arms

But how does he wipe his ass?

He doesn't
That's part of why he's such a menace

Baceria or parasites are generally a good bet. The smaller and more infectious the better.

Even if you're up against artificials, bacteria can produce destructive waste and eat through anything remotely organic.

>plus they can be coated in a acid-neutralizing material
kek
Reminds me of that one comic where soilders had acid resistant mech-suits and still got melted in the end.

hey, isn't this actually completely feasible right now?
why isn't this a thing? all you need to do is find some guy with AIDS, catch some mosquitos, apply the latter to the former and then just catch the flying bloodsuckers in a jar or something
you could easily produce thousands of deadly mosquitos a day and then unleash them on some poor nation

How does he get dressed? Does he even ever change clothes?

I just assumed Eveline could control the fungus and reined it in to just the area around the Baker mansion to keep her old handlers from finding her too easily.

>ability to reproduce quickly
>ability to differentiate friend and foe
>above all, adaptability, so that the weapon is never obsolete

So, humans?

Very carefully

Don't combine adaptability and a kill switch
Who knows, it might adapt to get rid of that

Hilarious

I don't think mosquitoes are actually a transmission vector for HIV, if they were they'd probably be it's primary vector considering direct blood-on-blood contact is the absolute best way to transmit it. At the very least if it was possible you'd hear about it, it's not like the media and medical community have ever been shy about throwing "disease-carrying mosquitoes are about to destroy humanity" rumors around at the drop of a hat.

You seem to be forgetting that Xenomorphs are able to reproduce with anything. The human-like appearance is the one we see in the movies just because the drones/queens take traits of the host species. The facehuggers, however, are compatible with virtually anything. This includes birds, reptiles and fish.

You deploy some facehuggers into a forested area, and just wait. Within two days or so the population centers are going to have to deal with thousands of animal based xenomorphs. And then, the humans will start to get added in.

Seriously, a xenomorph outbreak would be way, way nastier than that shit we see in films/games just because the directors/writers don't know how the xenos work.

>I had a dream the other night that Zeno morph used a dog had its host
>the resulting creature was loyal and friendly to humans, but we killed it due to the danger it risked and then set out to destroy its face latched eggs

Virus + Bacteria in one organism with rapidly mutating attack mechanism that targets immune systems. Literally GG.

I fucking love this idea, imagine trying to move in against a ranged unit like some archers only for them to drop the bows and reveal a load of fucking arms ready to rip you apart.

Or disguising them as enemy troops and deploying them behind their lines.

user I'm stealing this shit for my worldbuilding, you genius.

I loved the first dead space game's tension. When I played it, it scared the shit out of me. I pretend there was nothing past the 1st game, for the time it did an amazing job and just nailed the creepy atmosphere.

Fuck. I want a film with a bear Xenomorph now.

Umbrella pls go.

Really makes you think

Implying towns haven't had mountains dropped onto them with explosives
> ... all for Umbrella's sake

That's the pretty much the synth in this Aliens story.

I like it, but to be fair, many infestations were in valuable areas whose destruction wasn't admissible.

I like that Batman story where one was born from a crocodile.

You're welcome.

Humans.

They don't inject blood. They inject saliva. Malaria parasites are carried by their saliva. HIV would stay in their guts.