Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Have you ever played a plant person, like a ghoran or a gathlain? What were they like? How plant-y were they?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/WMhRUURm

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qut
docs.google.com/document/d/1zscK1VKCCSBSZDzaJq1536KnFQt16YRjV8LixCrIlWA/edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I dunno

Hey /pfg/, tell me about your homebrew. What kind of stuff are you working on?

Rhomboids of Martial Prowess

I made a universe where food production is handled by Necromancers making Skeleton farmers and stuff.

You stole my idea...

Granted, Veeky Forums has had threads about this for dating back like a decade and I cribbed the idea for my pet setting too.

Let's see... I've got a lot of stuff concurrent

>Akashic Discipline focused on single strikes that deliver devastating debuffs, insane mobility, and high defense. To counteract the issue of boosts/counters/stances all being very killy, there's a couple restrictions- boosts only apply their bonus damage on single strikes, counters focus on moving around and preventing attacks, and stances NEVER grant bonus damage, just improvements on reach, movement, and defense.
>A soulborn conversion as an Akashic/Initiator Hybrid, that uses the aforementioned Akashic discipline.
>Using the PoW fanmade errata and tinkering with it some more
>Potentially looking at the Stregone and remixing it

>all of Dragons 1 are DRAGONS
>all but one of Dragons 2 are also DRAGONS

Can you guess which one isn't?

What's the greatest city to visit in Avistan if you want to have a good week? Like, a nice vacation spot with tons of exciting venues to visit.

Almas, Absalom, maybe Oppara. Westcrown has a fairly cultured scene and a lot of history if you don't mind the atmosphere and having to have your papers in order.

Adapting my setting to be less kitchen sink and more dragon-based high fantasy.

Kaer fucking Maga

Fuck dead chicks, Troll chicks, orc chicks, wizard chicks, gypsy chicks, Caulspawn chicks, vampire spawn chicks, golem chicks, the list goes on and on

Summarize everything bad with all the Blingmaker apps in 3 words or less for each individual app. Go.

DON'T FORGET CHILD SLAVE PROSTITUTES

WOOO DON'T VIOLATE THE NAP

A character is medium sized fighter. He is wielding a large bastard sword, two-handed. Because the weapon is inappropriately sized by one size category, he takes a -2 penalty on attack roles. He is not proficient with the bastard sword (as an exotic weapon) which would allow him to wield it one-handed. This character's total penalty would only be -2, is that correct? Or would the penalty be -6 for non-proficiency?

Applied to Blingmaker

Bamboozled.

Good point, don't fucking touch the fucking NAP unless you want to get facefucked by the fathers of all those chicks we just listed

I'd say he cannot wield it at all because three-handed weapon rules

A bastard sword is a one handed weapon, though a character who has martial proficiency and successful use it without the -4 penalty if he wields it two handed. A one-handed weapon can be made a size larger and yielded by said person, but a two handed weapon (of the same size category) cannot be treated the same way (would be totally unusable by said creature).

He can't wield the weapon at all because he is wielding an inappropriately sized weapon that's too big for him. If he was proficient then he could wield it as a 2H weapon at a -2, or if he was wielding a Large Estoc (non-proficient) it would be a -6.

Maria: Not finished.
Gregory: Vague goals.
Anna: Naivete isn't characterization.
Invictus: Fucking really, dude?
Kyras: Tier five.
Andrei: dude spiders lmao
Tanith: Not finished yet.
Seska: Not finished yet.
Azuk: Chad thunder cock.
Arkas: Fortress of text.
Samanhe: Flat and bland.
Milre: Little Big Boss.
Myrna: dude im hot
Sigmund: Nodachi reeee
Stanislaw: Not finished yet.
Franze: Pretty fucking creepy.
Yoku: Anime
Marcus: Not finished yet.
Antoinette: Myrna plus Arkas
Jarith: Not finished yet.
Harland: Joke already old
Archiplex: A fucking loli
Andrik: Painfully bad format
Harriet: greedy cat lmao
Lyra: dude maids lmao

Nobody will look at any of your stuff until you start to get a reputation as a good homebrewer, probably by making something creative and interesting that people want so it gets eyes on it

Okay. I'll bite the bullet and get the ewp for it then.

STR houserules to add to the normal /pfg/ list coming through. Rebalances strength with dex. If you're using weapon finesse feat taxes, you need to be using this too so you don't have a full party of dexfags.

>If your STR is 15 or greater, gain additional HP per level equal to half your STR modifier.
>If your BAB is +1 or greater and your STR is 15 or greater, you gain the Intimidating Prowess feat as a bonus feat and may use your STR score in place of your DEX for Acrobatics.
>If your STR is 16 or greater, you can choose to use your STR modifier in place of your Constitution modifier for your Fortitude Saves.
>If your STR is 16 or greater, reduce the speed penalty for Medium and Heavy Armor by 5 feet. If your STR 18 or greater, increase your Armor bonus from Medium and Heavy Armor by +1. Increase it by another +1 when your STR is 22 and again at every 4 points of STR.
>If your STR is 18 or higher, you count as one size larger for the purposes of CMB and CMD. If your base size is already Large or Larger, this has no effect.
>The above rules are in place only for creatures defined by their class levels.

paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qut
The weapon cannot be wielded as a one-handed weapon without having proficiency, so it's still counted as a two-handed martial weapon for the purposes of being able to hold it.

>stealing other people's stuff instead of slapping them with comments to try to get them working on it

poor form my dude

Better question user, why are you using a weapon with a -2 to attack and only minor bonuses to damage?

Okay, sure. I thought you meant that he couldn't wield it at all, never ever, not matter what forever.

I know that. I just work slowly and have a lot of trouble with setting deadlines for myself. I am going to /try/ and release the first few levels of that Akashic Discipline tonight though, for people to skim over.

Hey man, I was looking at it, and mentioning it, not saying I was gonna do it. For all you know it was a bamboozle in order to get the actual original creator to look at it again by mentioning it once more. I wouldn't actually do that, though, and I likely won't ever get around to my own houserules for PoW.

I want to make a vital strike build, so the -2 to attack is off set by only be required to make one successful attack. It's far from optimal, but I really like the character idea, and it should still be relatively effective.

Its like.. Only 2 damage on average over a greatsword, I don't think its worth it.

plus enlarge person, plus impact weapon enchantment...

Hm. It might not end up all that much better in the end. But I'll have the opportunity to rebuild the character if things aren't so great.

Fixing armorists. Fixing sphere magi. A bunch of shit I keep forgetting about.

Speaking of, the first two levels of Cobalt Mask are done. My goals with it are to have NO full attack interactions, and instead allow for an initiator using it to land good rider effects, with fantastic mobility, and high defense. Damage is NOT the priority here- the bonus damage is only in d4s and I'm not planning on there being any full attack maneuvers or boosts.

docs.google.com/document/d/1zscK1VKCCSBSZDzaJq1536KnFQt16YRjV8LixCrIlWA/edit

thats like 6 damage total

Not sure its worth the loss of

I actually think if you use an Effortless Lace you can get away with it entirely.

Of those apps, which would be radically improved by just a little retouching?

Arent the feat tax rules good enough?

Question: Is there any point to going from Draconic Bloodline Bloodrager into Dragon Disciple? RAW it doesn't look like the abilities mesh with each other, unless I'm missing something.

Vital Strike itself is a weak style but if you're going to do it, Large Bastard Sword is ideal. You won't miss your single hit, and although it's only +8 damage with the feat chain over a greatsword initially, the larger dice does good for scaling.

For reference, impact with Greater Vital Strike is 54 damage over 42 with a Greatsword. Impact and Enlarge is 72 over 56. Effortless Lace will remove the size penalty cheaply, and you can start with a Greatsword and pick up an ioun stone by 6 for the Large Bastard Sword.

I got a Vigilante build floating around to abuse Vital Punishment that I'm waiting for a chance to use.

>Anna needs a little more rounding, feels just a little one-note as is.
>Kyras isn't bad for an app, I'm just tired of hearing about him and the knightposting was never funny.
>Milre needs some expansion on who she is, and a LOT on what her interests and goals are.
>Harland should play his joke a little closer to his chest, the fast food thing seems like he's taking the piss.
>Andrik needs a rewrite to tell us who he is, and the short story should be compressed or put in a pastebin. Also, get rid of the bold text.

Keep in mind these are all subjective. I might have missed something when I read over them.

The user made those in response to screaming about how "STRENGTH IS WORTHLESS WITH FEAT TAXES DEX DEX DEX DEX DEX".

Aw man, I didn't even know about that item.

Titan Fighter + Divine Fighting Style Gorrum might win out with a great sword, though. It might not be able to do as much damage, but the ability to make a double movement via charging has some real appeal. Though, the effortless lace couldn't be applied to the great sword.

>Gregory: Vague goals.
Do you have suggestions as to how I can make them less vague?

Look into Gorum's Swordsmanship (or "Greatsword Battler). It lets you Vital Strike on a charge and an AoO. Bloodrager isn't a bad option either, since you can take Blooded Arcane Strike to multiply your Arcane Strike damage, and there's also a bunch of extra effects you can stack on with feats like Grasping Strike.

I think also technically the Cleaving Smash Two-Handed Weapon Trick and All-Consuming Swing stack, so if you cleave a target you double your Vital Strike damage while taking half.

Why does he want to build a university, specifically?
What would he do as the founder and head of the university?
What is his vision for a society with easier access to learning?
What sort of character does he want this school to create?

Fair enough. I'm sure I can think of plenty of reasons.

>Titan Fighter + Divine Fighting Style Gorum might win out with a great sword
It does actually, but then you have to be a Fighter down about 3 feats and weapon training. Eeeeew.

The Bastard Sword is nice because 5500gp is exactly the expected wealth difference between 5 and 6, meaning you can key in on it with fairly little sacrifice on your build. Vigilante and Warpriest are my recommended classes for VS shenanigans. Again, not a great style but you can afford the 3/4 BAB.

But will this break strength characters?

Proposal: Feat tax gives you Power Attack at 13 STR instead of 1 BAB. Nothing else changes.

It would be better to say Power Attack OR Weapon Finesse, but not both.

Feat tax rules need to be overhauled to compress feat trees, those are the actual taxes.

Power attack is a good choice on it's own, being so good it's ludicrous not to take should mean everything else gets brought into line.

Furthermore BAB/HD should provide a scaling AC bonus so that power attack is actually a choice, not "I hit on 2's anyway"

>Feat tax rules need to be overhauled to compress feat trees, those are the actual taxes.
Basically. You should get a feat, and then it upgrades to the Improved and Greater versions at the appropriate level/BAB. Additionally, feats should have no more than 1 other Feat as a prerequisite.

That's a lot of work so will help realign STR and DEX builds in the meantime. Every DM should be using these.

I've been looking at making Will saves Charisma-based, Initiative Wisdom-based, and adding half your based Reflex save as AC and half your base Fortitude save as DR/-. It's... probably shit, but you made me think about it with this post.

Vital Strike is best used with an Earthbreaker

>Fighter (Titan Fighter) dip
>Thunder and Fang feat
>Obtain Juggernaut's Pauldrons
or
>multiclass into either Skald (Totemic Skald - with a Mask of Giants), Druid (Goliath Druid), Druid (Skinshaper) or Alchemist (Metamorph)

Enjoy. For relevant rulings:

>Giant Weapon Wielder (Ex) = Large Earthbreaker in 2h
>Thunder and Fang = Large Earthbreaker in 1h
>Therefore both = Huge Earthbreaker in 2h

Bumping your size up continues this trend of wielding something far larger than you should. Its full anime style retarded. With Impact or Lead Blades you can easily hit Colossal size damage dice. At that point, Vital Strike becomes viable.

Don't forget the Growth enchantment. Also this works wonders with rage cycling Furious Finish builds.

I think the design philosophy should be less to give the 2-3 stat classes more, and to make the SAD classes need multiple stats. For example have wizards spells known scale off of CHA instead of int.

My idea with AC was to have full BAB get "great" progression, equal to the save of a similar type, scaling down accordingly. You have to only let the first level of any class apply the bonus at first level though, I think the fractional bonus rules do this basically?

Add these to the current pfg houserules.

It's part of what makes things like the Shaman and Arcanist, while still broken, less broken than Wizard. Yes, a Shaman can pick wandering lore spirit and get any spell it wants, but to do so it needs to be Wis/Int/Cha MAD.

Mmm, them's some hot logs.
But are you sure your RP partner wants you posting them?

The STR houserules look really fucking convoluted and dumb, but I'm in favor of trying to do condensed Feat Chains instead. Christ knows that's the most frustrating part of things.

Growth enchantment? You don't mean Growing do you. Cause that is shit and does not affect Vital Strike. Also, size increasing abilities do not stack.

They don't mind. I think they're a slut for the attention.

>convoluted
What part of "If X is > Y, get Z"?

Oh God, he's so right~

And compressing feat chains STILL will lead to Dex being far better than Strength. The only reason it's not plainly superior in vanilla is because feat chains and prereqs.

I don't think dex is better than str, AC basically does not matter as the game currently plays.

Even if you don't care about AC, there's still reflex, Initiative, and various useful skills. With Dexterity, you just get one big package of good shit, but with Strength, you get some limited skills, carry weight, and damage. This isn't new territory, dude.

You're right, I meant Impact enchantment. That one stacks with size increase.

Looking at it again it's not actually that bad, just more a knee-jerk reaction of "OH BOY, ADDING MORE SHIT TO THE PILE" and "I can't wait for five billion more Brutal Slayers".

>feat chains STILL lead to Dex being far better
rising tide, ships, etc etc

Reflex is pretty easily the least important save, and one martials tend to get good progression in. Dex skills are basically worthless, initiative can be gained for the cost of one feat that a STR character has room for because he's not dumping 2 or more into making dex work.

STR also gets 1.5 on two handers, the superior fighting style.

Even if you give value to AC, when STR characters can afford full plate they become the same AC as a dex character.

I think it'll see a reduction in the finesse builds overall, especially for dedicated front-line characters. Dex will still be a popular choice, and more popular for gishes, but STR will have a fighting chance at getting picked.

You'll see a slight increase in durability for the average warder and barbarian, but it's more about opening up options

Third-level Cobalt Mask maneuvers are nearly done. I'm unsure of the balance of Cobalt Wings, the 3rd-level counter. Should it be moved up a level?

"Counter: Cobalt Wings
Summary: Your akashic energies manifest, carrying you aloft and shielding you from harm. You can initiate this counter when you are targeted by a harmful spell or effect that grants a Reflex saving throw. You can make a Knowledge (Arcana) check in place of a Reflex saving throw. If the result of your Knowledge (Arcana) check is higher than the saving throw DC of that spell or harmful effect, you can immediately move 30’. If this movement would put you outside of the area of effect of that spell, you are treated as if you had not been targeted by that spell. For every point of essence invested in this maneuver, increase the speed of this movement by 15’. Binding this maneuver allows you to also affect a number of allies equal to your initiation modifier, as if they had also initiated this maneuver."

>Dex skills are basically worthless
What is this world you live in?
>initiative can be gained for the cost of one feat that a STR character has room for because he's not dumping 2 or more into making dex work.
These rules are for use with the Feat Tax rules, which basically give Finesse to everyone and Agility close behind.

I included that in the post already user.

In a world with Feat Tax rules, Dex is king of combat stats. This isn't even an argument.

>Knowledge (Arcana)

Ooh, yeah, make your discipline skill an already must-have knowledge, that'll be balanced.

Which Blingmaker apps are considered the reigning champions?

Barbarians are great, even under feat tax rules. It's not a STR/DEX thing, it's a some classes are designed in a way that's shit thing.

So you agree that it's important for retaining STR's viability outside select builds?

>discipline skills
>making things broken
Dude, the only time it even matters is when it's a trash skill like Perform (Dance) or Craft (Glass).

Barbarians deal a lot of damage, and they will always deal a lot of damage.

>It's not a STR/DEX thing
Unless the class is specifically replacing Dex or calling on Str in some way, you should use Dex over Str if you're getting finesse and power attack for free.

I'll probably change it later on- Knowledge (Arcana) is the knowledge skill used to ID Veils, so I assumed it'd be appropriate. What other Knowledge skill might work? I was looking at Nobility and potentially History, as they're rarely used.

I have not played one, no.

Could do Autohypnosis - It's already the skill for Sleeping Goddess and Riven Hourglass.

>TFW you will never play a gestalt urban barbarian||pre-errata scarred witch doctor

For you opposed to the STR houserules, what is your objection to them? Is it just having to remember four or five more things during chargen?

Too many caveats for a stat

I'll play with making it Autohypnosis, Know. (History/Nobility), or Disguise (the discipline /is/ called Cobalt Mask...). For now, it'll remain Know. (Arcana) and I can do a find-and-replace on it when all the maneuvers are done.

What should a Black Dragon sound like?

I am retarded this was a reply to you Fucking phoneposting

Aight, Cobalt Wings underwent a slight rewrite. All of the Cobalt Mask maneuvers are going to be wordy- because they include text for Essence investment and binding, and they aren't all "deal bonus damage." Anyways, here it is:

"Summary: Your akashic energies manifest, carrying you aloft and shielding you from harm. You can initiate this counter when you are targeted by a harmful spell or effect that grants a Reflex saving throw. You can make a Knowledge (Arcana) check in place of a Reflex saving throw. If the result of your Knowledge (Arcana) check is higher than the saving throw DC of that spell or harmful effect, you can move 20’. If this movement would put you outside of the area of effect of that effect, you are treated as if you had not been targeted by that effect at all. For every point of essence invested in this maneuver, increase the speed of this movement by 10’. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Binding this maneuver allows you to select a number of allies that are also targeted by the same effect, up to an amount equal to your initiation modifier. These allies occupy your space while moving, but at the end of the movement provided by this maneuver, these allies are placed in the nearest adjacent spaces to you, as determined by you."

Yeah, my vote is for Nobility.

By caveats, do you mean needing certain levels of STR?

But Strength is still a really popular choice even with feat tax rules, because 2handing with Strength is still THE best overall stat for raw damage because Strength and size increases are easy to get ways to pump damage.

>basically give Finesse to everyone
As makes fucking sense because weapon finesse as a feat is just as moronic as bows not being exotic weapons. Agile Maneuvers being bundled in there is a bit of a mystery to me though

At this point I don't think anyone is 100% against them outside of a knee-jerk reactions. Only gripe I have after initial reaction is the health thing. I think should it should go on the basis of just being "one thing too many", but the rest seems alright.