My retarded party strayed off the campaign path and is now in search of Elminster. Ok, Veeky Forums...

My retarded party strayed off the campaign path and is now in search of Elminster. Ok, Veeky Forums, where can they find this guy in 5e, according to canon? (and what can they expect, when they do?)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-Bc0mG5omTo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bumping because poor bastard's at least not railroading.

Presumably back in his home Shadowdale; mostly everything's reset to a sort of 2.5e setting in Faerun with some names and small details changed. Volo found him there, so clearly he's still there sometimes.
And you shouldn't expect a warm welcome visiting him uninvited.
The sign outside his house just says;
>"Elminster of Shadowdale. Solicitors next of kin will be notified."

He's basically the wizard equivalent of a cranky old asshole with a shotgun.

Just wherever it would be the most fun for him to be. Middle of a war torn country? Hunting some knowledge best kept secret so it doesn't fall into the wrong hands? Amusing himself by messing about with experiments in the middle of nowhere? The list goes on.

He's from Shadowdale, but he might be found visiting one of his seven magical girlfriends (not making this up) in Waterdeep or Sembia. He also canonically sometimes goes through a secret portal to Earth and has meetings with important archwizards from other planes in Ed Greenwood's kitchen in Canada. That's probably the most entertaining place to let them find him.

There's a 10 percent chance of finding him in the Yawning Portal tavern in Waterdeep

At the End of Elminster Enraged, he was in Cormyr converting the War Wizards into Mystra worshipers.

At the end of The Herald, he was at Storm Silverhand's house.

I didn't read Spellstorm, so I don't know what he was doing in that.

>Ed Greenwood's kitchen in Canada. That's probably the most entertaining place to let them find him.
Peterborough isn't that entertaining, eh.

It all depends on your perspective.

In 5E, Elminster can probably be found in several possible places depending on what he's doing at the time:

1. Shadowdale, figuring out new magic, having a beer, whatever.

2. Waterdeep, helping Laeral run the place.

3. Cormyr, meddling.

When they find him, they won't actually find an old, white-haired, blue-eyed wizard anymore. At the end of the Death Masks novel recently, he did something he's done every so often over the years and body-hopped into a new one, from memory a young Dalelands adventurer who was in Waterdeep to explore and adventure and wound up on the wrong end of a Mind Flayer (he got his mind obliterated, so he was kind of like a coma patient when Elminster stole his body). Presumably over time, as other Chosen of Mystra apparently do, he'll morph said body into his preferred shape (older, beaded, and the blue eyes/white-or-silver hair will show up as well by default because that happens to all Mystra's Chosen), but right now he appears, or should appear, quite young and spry.

Expect him to be gruff, grumpy, and annoyed at being disturbed from whatever he's doing, generally something of importance to Mystra (that said, it doesn't necessarily have to be a world-shattering threat, it might be quite minor in the grand scheme of things).

You can expect to be facing down, rules wise, a 20th level immortal Chosen of Mystra, legendary actions and resistances, various other benefits, a boatload of epic boons, contingencies, and blessings, and several allies at his beck and call (fighting him isn't fighting alone, you have to account for his friends). He won't be able to use mental control or mind reading, because Mystra has banned her Chosen from doing it. He will also not be limited by "spell slots". He is a "Weavemaster", meaning rather than using spells, he can manipulate the Weave DIRECTLY. Basically unlimited spells, unless Mystra decides to deny him. Which she won't.

If things get really bad, he'll contingency out to his Safehold.

The same way you find a Harper. And maybe finding one of those helps in finding him..
so Watch and learn, here's the deal:

You go into a shady Tavern and look really suspicious and plotting. Then you take a table far away from everyone else ad wait for your shady partner to arrive. Upon his arrival you two put your heads together and whisper something about Revolution in Calimshan, Slaves in XY, a great secret of whatever and then after about fifteen minutes, right in the middle of your conversation you kick under your table.

You should hear a painful cry and there you got it, a Harper in the flesh. Repeat this a certain amount of times to find Elminster.
On a side note OP, what do they want from him???

>Elminster takes over the body of a young vegetable

Something about this rubs me the wrong way.

>not transferring your consciousness to a young braindead olive-skinned twink and hugging his mourning gay lover in one of the dumbest FR books ever written
wew

there's a 1 in 10 chance of him being in the yawning portal according to raw.

and one of my players ran into him in silverymoon since she wanted to "go to the shady part of town and see if i can find a shady guy to learn from"

There's always a significant chance Elminster's dead. (Inside.)

This. If you don't think those whores are a cry for help then I don't know what to tell you.

Elm-uuuurp-inster, bitcheeeeez!

OP here.

>On a side note OP, what do they want from him???

"We have a quest. Guess what - we will just find not-Gandalf and have him save us all our troubles." Basically this.

Oh man. He'll never give them the time of day. This will inevitably turn into a whacky Looney Tunes-esque misadventure where he, with increasing desperation, uses magical fuckery to try and keep the unbelieveably persistent party away from him while he tries to work.

He will not give a shit. He has his own crap to deal with and his own life to live, he does not spend his time running around Toril fixing every problem ever.

Or worse, he might fix it for them... in exchange for a favour. You don't get something for nothing, and what he asks might be far nastier than what he does for them.

It was pretty silly. I was more fascinated by the blatant reveal that yes, all Mystra's Chosen essentially do wind up as magical body-hopping parasites. And sure, some of them refuse to do it (so rather than take new bodies, they wait for a new one to "naturally occur" from the Weave), and others do, probably well aware of the moral implications of it. In Death Masks the body was brain dead anyway, but not all of them would have been.

Oh god, Asking Elminister for help is begging for trouble. They better hope they don't attract his attention or else they might find quests upon quests upon quests that could last them several mortal lifetimes, and a strange compulsion to do it.

Knowing him, he'd turn them into barmaids for bugging him.

Poor Edwin...

Wouldn't Paladins of some order or another take offense to that? It seems to me like an evil action on par with necromancy.

Almost certainly, though it seems Elminster came to terms with it a while ago, and does it because he values service to Mystra and "the greater good" more highly than then issue of taking a new body every so often:

>All of Mystra’s born Chosen—the Seven—wear out their distinctive silver-haired bodies over time. Centuries, but eventually the crumbling began in earnest. Then they must take new ones from others as Elminster did, an ethical choice none of them preferred, or return to the Weave and await Mystra “mothering” a new body for them, or put more and more of their energies into maintaining either their magic or their bodies.
>She’d chosen the latter herself, so her Art was now slowly fading. Dove, on the other hand, had ached to join her husband Florin in the Weave, and so had decided to end her mortal life, going down fighting to defend Myth Drannor.

What makes it creepier is that the Seven Sisters have bodies DESIGNED to handle Mystra's essence, and they still eventually decay. Her non-born Chosen (Elminster, Khelben, Amarune, etc.) decay even faster than the Seven. Granted, Elminster might well be using the bodies of especially bad people, or brain-dead ones like he did in the novel, but it's still going to raise eyebrows.

It's probably a good thing that the Chosen of Mystra don't exactly spread this information around. Especially since they're a lot weaker now, and aren't the near-demigods of magic that they all used to be. Laeral in particular is especially vulnerable, as the Open Lord of Waterdeep who relies in part on the threat of Mystra's power to keep people in line and power-hungry archmages from trying to blow her apart.

He's probably having sex with a billion succubi who are redeemed by virtue of even looking in the general direction of his alpha dick, as goddesses look onward in jealousy. This is, of course, in between his escapades of gallivanting through hell, unopposed by the cowering devil lords as Asmodeus himself wets himself in absolute terror.

Fuck Elminster is stupid.

>he hasn't read Elminster in Hell
>several hundred pages of Elminster getting mind raped by a pit fiend

>not making this up
>That time Ed greenwood write a book about elminster's daughter and then revealed that 50% of the characters in the book were elminster's daughters. Which is super creepy, because there isn't a single male offspring. They're ALL daughters

>where can they find this guy
Anywhere. It's a journey unto itself to find a wandering wizard. Ask a Harper or a scribe in any temple to Mystra as to his last known whereabouts (they probably keep tabs open on most archmagi) and chase after him, he'll probably become aware of his pursuers soon enough.
There are any number of magical tasks that need doing from a powerful old sage, just make up one. Like gathering esoteric reagents from an ancient netherese site or something.
>and what can they expect, when they do?
A very busy old man who loves magic and hates evil. He's not that complex of a man, but he is powerful and principled, and he's not very patient as he has many things to be doing.

youtube.com/watch?v=-Bc0mG5omTo

If their task isn't something huge (like stopping a demon prince's manifestation on the material plane or something of that degree) then he's probably gonna blow them off on the spot.
If it's just dealing with some angry dragon or stopping the eight thousandth invasion of the orcs then he'd probably forcibly teleport them right back where they can handle it themselves.

Baldur's Gate let you have a look at him after your foster parent bit the dust, so..
>Have a destiny that will shape the lands
>State thy being to indulge an old man.

This is actually more common than you think.

Sex is determined by the males sperm, so it's entirely possible he's just firing chicks out his dick.

(i come from a family of 3 moms with 7 brothers split between them. My dad only shot dudes, literally a couple of times)

Some of the ones in that book weren't actually his daughters. More like great-great-granddaughters, they just refer to themselves as daughters because it's easier. The titular character IS his direct daughter, and her mother was a dragon who enjoyed humanoid form a bit too much and got Mystra to give her a daughter by him. Elminster never knew until he met her, because Mystra's Chosen are incapable of siring or having children unless Mystra decrees it, and said goddess neglected to inform him that he wouldn't be firing blanks with said shapeshifted dragon.

As if Elminster hadn't been written up as spending occasional stints as a woman, even taking male lovers in that form, before this.

>Elminster
Ha fuck you and your railroading piece of shit game.

that's not why the book is dumb

Everywhere they don't expect him.

They go searching for Elminster, and he'll be the vegetable seller in that one village they stopped at for supplies and never thought about.
He'll be the kid that pickpockets them in the big city.
He'll be the strange Elven princess who seeks to bed the warrior.

And all the time he'll be giggling whenever you're not looking at him.

Fucking Wizards.

>npc joins the party
>tells them "ok well I know where to find Elminster he's in that dungeon"
>party clears the dungeon, kills a powerful demon with a lot of help from the NPC, demon drops a very powerful artifact
>NPC goes, "haha losers I am actually Elminster thanks for helping me do my job" takes the artifact and disappears.

i know nothing bout the lore of the forgotten realms if thats even the setting these guys exist in. but i got a few questions.

does drizzt exist in the same world as Elminster?

why is drizzt so important?

whos the guy next to him in this picture? is he as cool as he looks?

who are the other heroes on the same level as drizzt and Elminster?

Drizzt inhabits the same world as Elminster, although not if Ed has anything to say about it.

Drizzt is not important.

Nobody fucking knows who that is. Does anybody even still read Drizzt novels? Seriously what the fuck.

The other heroes on the level are basically whomever some author wrote about that week. Because that's how hard Forgotten Realms as a setting takes it. Literally anyone's Mary Sue is as valid as the next.

whos Ed?

>does drizzt exist in the same world as Elminster?
Yes, he lives on Abeir-Toril.
>why is drizzt so important?
He's not, really. He's just the protagonist for several novels.
>whos the guy next to him in this picture? is he as cool as he looks?
I haven't read the latest books so I have no idea, but he looks reminiscent of Artemis Entreri, Drizz't's archrival. Who was a pretty cool if ridiculously edgy assassin.
>who are the other heroes on the same level as drizzt and Elminster?
Drizz't is not on the level of Elminster. But as far as D&D goes there are a lot of big names across the multiverse, like Mordenkainen and Bigby.
Ed Greenwood is the creator of Forgotten Realms. Drizz't, however, is created and written by R.A. Salvatore.

you've been very helpful, thank you

there is an adventure in Dungeon Magazine somewhere which has the PCs get into his tower in Shadowdale and tour part of it. He isn't home.

It's likely because he's mystras only male chosen and he's sperming out the next generation of the seven chosen

Pls keep in mind elminster usually tells people to fuck off, his time is generally consumed with issues of cosmos shredding importance. You want a smaller scale player, Khelben Blackstaff is a good one

Khelben is dead and gone, his soul is in Arvandor.

>single handedly ruining an entire setting with your self insert

>Arvandor
>Elf heaven

The full picture of that is even better. She has her rifle clenched between her legs with barrel pointing into her torso to have her hands free.

How did I just realize that that was a gun in her hand, I thought for the longest time that its was some kind of device.

He was a 1/4 elf or something, so yes. Elf heaven. The "fully human" facade is just a facade, his elf blood was remarkably strong.

>Khelben realised 3e was coming and fucked off into a parallel universe
FTFY

Why is the magazine circled?