sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v9
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
This is the last month we're getting weekly arcanas. How do you feel about them overall?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/12/18/but-the-surprise-is-not-supposed-to-be-an-extra-round/
youtube.com/watch?v=6Vsv_vC7keA
app.roll20.net/forum/post/4834143/new-player-applications
sageadvice.eu/2016/11/20/does-a-natural-20-mean-an-automatic-success/
sageadvice.eu/2016/05/13/does-a-natural-20-on-a-skill-check-a-critical-automatic-success/
strawpoll.me/12695324
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So I'm playing in a 10th level oneshot, the other characters are two barbarians and a life cleric. What's a good/fun/interesting class to play for it? I would play a bard since I've never done that, but I'm playing a wizard and druid in other campaigns and picking out so many spells is tedious for just a oneshot (maybe valor though since they get magical secrets at 10). Could also do a paladin, don't think any of them are goiung to use a polearm though that is still quite frontline-y. New ranger is allowed so I'm a bit interested in that too.

> sageadvice.eu/2016/12/18/but-the-surprise-is-not-supposed-to-be-an-extra-round/

Just a friendly reminder that surprise round doesn't exist in 5e.

Forgot to say, the oneshot is likely to be about dealing with werewolves and related things, not sure if we're getting magical weapons as the gm is quite stingy with them so a class that doesn't get fucked by physical damage resistance would be nice.

What about Mystic?

But the answer is always nuclear druid

I can ask but I do not think my gm will be ok with that, UA is sketchy in general. The archetypes might be ok since it is a oneshot and all, but I doubt he'll allow mystic.

Is UA allow?

Warlock Fey patron Pact of the Blade for Moon Bow (advantage to hit against lycantropes)

Warlock 3 / Sorcerer the rest if you want to be extra min-maxer.

I call the first round of combat the 'surprise round' whenever anything in the combat has been surprised. Makes it easy for the players to keep track of what's happening.
As far as the original question goes, the assassin rogue couldn't get a second assassinate (advantage OR auto-crit) in a combat, even if they roll higher initiative than an opponent, because that opponent has a first turn where they did nothing in the surprise round.

Multiclassing is banned and UA is most likely banned (). He's tried to overbalance the game sort of, banning everything that comes up that seems overpowered, which is sort of why we're doing higher level since I believe that "op" stuff is just part of D&D and is only going to get more common.

>youtube.com/watch?v=6Vsv_vC7keA
Oh jeez.
Paladins, am I right, guys?

>just ban everything instead of finding a way to balance things
sounds like a real great DM

Multiclassing was too complex I think to balance on a case-by-case basis, nothing else big has been banned/nerfed. Divine smite has to be declared before an attack instead of after it hits to avoid smiting just because you crit, polymorph might be changed so you can only poly enemies or something since making the rogue into a t-rex ended an encounter on its own.

how do you balance nuclear druid? give shield to every npc in the game?

People actually play LG paladins still? All I ever see now are multiclassed ones that smite everything the see and are some form of CG/CN... Actually all I ever see for alignments anymore is CG/CN...

The LN life is a struggle. What makes L_ so unappealing to people?

>hey guys please don't try building this clearly busted shit, otherwise multiclass away!
>okay cool
>divine smite
sounds like he fixed it
>polymorph
impose a cr restriction

poof

Wait, was bigboy a salty paladin who didn't agree with the group?

LE, LN, LG and NG are the best alignments user. All these young fellas don't recognise what it means to be a Paladin anymore.

>how do you balance nuclear druid? give shield to every npc in the game?
Harvest dice can only be applied to Druid spells.

>Well, it's official. Yawning Portal ToH is pulling its punches. Because my Bard and my friends rogue just tag teamed the bad boy.
How? I find it hard to believe 2 PCs killed a demilich.

Seems like he wanted to do as his oath required and the party had agreed that another member of the party should be the one to have the final say in everything. He decided against the pally and he got butthurt.

>salty paladin
Of course.

This is what happens when your system encourages players to twist logic up like a balloon animal to justify literally any action as "good" or "keeping with my oath"
>i had to plunge the kingdom into poverty by stealing the contents of the royal vault so i could open up the most bitchin' orphanage and throw stage plays for the children and bring their light and laughter back into the world :D :D :D im the good guy

I tried to explain that to my DM once. DM didn't like that so we had a TPK.

what are the unforeseen consequences of casting wish in order to find a group in a European time zone?

just a friendly reminder that literally any and every rule is subject to DM fiat.

You find a meme-tier DM.
app.roll20.net/forum/post/4834143/new-player-applications

Sure but then why are you playing 5e instead of GURP?

Anyone ever run a 5e game in a non-WotC non-homebrew setting? Like for example the Warcraft universe?

Just because I've been thinking about running a game in the Warhammer Age of Sigmarverse since it seemed D&D 5e wouldn't mesh well with the gothic grimness of the old Fantasy setting.

But AoS seems much more condusive to 5e. Anyone think it would be worth running or be interested in playing D&D in the mortal realms?

While true, it should be used sparingly and with purpose, rather than abused beyond all reason and sanity like I've had the misfortune of seeing more often than not.

I think that could be pretty fun. I don't know much about AoS but it seems like a pretty decent High Fantasy setting.

I know you said non-WotC but I ran a game in mtg's Lorwyn/Shadowmoor setting with some players who knew nothing about it. I changed some races a bit, made Goliaths small giants, turned Dwarves into a type of Goblin and stuff.

Went really well and the shift between worlds was a fun experience. Took them a while to realise it wasn't a different plane at all. Also the lack of humans in the setting let me make everything a little bit weirder.

Think we'll ever get a Adventures Vault style supplement?

> God complex DM detected
Huge red flag, wouldn't play with.

Thanks for the insight! Glad it went so well!

And I suppose I should've said non-D&D setting along the lines of Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk etc instead on non-WotC since playing in the MTG verse still for me very much applies.

Mystic is possible.
>Seems pretty strong, perhaps too strong. Hard to say
>It's very versatile so I guess there's a number of ways you could take it. Don't know, I might be okay with it in a oneshot.

So how do I build a mystic? 10th level, together with the meat squad so probably not anything close to martial, and without going too crazy.

Stats are (unassigned)
18, 15, 15, 14, 9, 6

I don't like change and the name sounds silly to me

undeniably true

I don't DM friend, I'm just aware of the first rule of tabletop rpgs.

Stone Sorcerer. 18 in Con, be the tankiest you can be.

I played a sorc for 2 years, stone looks like a lot of fun but not really what I want for this. 2 barbarians and a life cleric means we have plenty of meat already too.

That's the problem user. Mystic is really versatile and can be built for anything (that's why it's hugely popular for recreating media character).

You need to narrow your idea down a bit.

Personally, I would go with 4e style lazylord though. Go Mantle of Command and give Barbarian another attack action. And Nomadic Step to repositioning the battle field.

One thing I would highly recommend if limiting races but making sure the players know and give them some freedom.

I had Goblins, Wood Elves, High Elves, Goliaths, Water Genasi (Merfolk), Fire Genasi, refluffed Dwarves and Ghostwise Halflings. With Volo's out now I would change a couple.

I was obviously more lenient with Racial Ability Score bonuses and would let them choose their +2/+1 and also gave a level 1 feat.

I don't know every race AoS has but give some more freedom in the Ability Scores if there's some pretty big limitations.

For Nomadic step...

Werewolf are immunity to non-magical attacks. Fall damage isn't attack.

*wink wink*

Do you know if the barbs are totem or berserker? If they're not berserker you could play a Devotion paladin and prevent anyone trying to shut down your melee party. Trust me I have a devotion pally in the party I DM for and it's a little annoying not being able to land any charm or fear effects, or anything that requires a Wisdom save, for that matter.

>Re-reading Curse of Strahd
>See this

Can't believe I've missed this.

I kind of want to play a Halfling Paladin. Any fun ways to build this?

Pretty much the only way you can do this is sword and board.

Rapier and Shield. Be the nicest, goodest most charitable Paladin you can be. Forgive people and generally be nice.

Halfling Paladin is the only Paladin I play.

5e demiliches as written are kinda neutered imo. 20 AC is easier to hit than you think and hit dice went from d12s in 3.5 to d4s in 5e. Even though it has damage resistance to magical weapons the demilichs's average 80 hp on is going to dwindle fast. Also it's attacks force it to be close-mid range so its not -completely- out of melee range.

Thanks, I think Nomad or Awakened are going to be my choice. Mantle of command looks pretty sick.

One bear and one berserker I think.

Lance and board + find steed.

>average 80 hp
Why would you use anything but max hp other than for a group that's new to the game or a previously wounded enemy?

Play as a non furry version of Sir Didymus

I like this a lot. Any way to make this without having to rely on str and heavy armor? There's already a couple of tanky people in the party so I was wanting something more dexterous and nimble

I don't get it. Is it a "coming out of the closet" joke?

>This is the last month we're getting weekly arcanas. How do you feel about them overall?
Most of them have been shit. Much rather see actual polished and well made rules, than these retarded tidbits, or worse, entire sub classes or even full classes, that are just shit out by some faggot with no sense of balance.

There have only been very few good things to come from these, and even then, while cool, was largely unnecesarry, see ceremony.

I like the spell, but as someone who GMs like 80% of the time, this isnt something I would require rules to play out. It is super easy to just fluff it a lot, and make a few small rules to supplement it.

Yes, this NPC is gay.

ha, what a fag

Effectively the demilich has 160 HP, since he will take half damage from magical weapons and saving throws that he fails (and nothing on a success). Since he is immune to most conditions, his Legendary Resistances will serve to ignore any major damage spell that is thrown his way.

The first thing Acererak will do is use a lair action to put an antimagic field on someone, either a powerful caster, or the guy with a big magical greatsword, effectively rendering them useless for the first round. Then he'll use his action to Trap the Soul of anyone that doesn't look too charismatic, and on a failure that person will literally be out of the fight (Frustrating as shit, but whatever. Demilich gotta survive somehow. I would probably make the trapped PC fight something inside the gem). Then there's the legendary actions.

This is important: a Demilich with Trap the Soul in its lair is CR 23, thus his proficiency bonus is +7, not +6. Everything that includes his proficiency goes up by 1.

Also why the hell are most of the saves DC 15? That makes no sense in the save DC math. I'd just put it all at 19 (20 if his CR is higher) and call it a day.

I'm taking part in a campaign that I'm fairly certain is gonna crash and burn within three session due to the player dynamics. I feel bad for the DM though so I'd like to play a strong support character to help minimize the idiocy.

What do you guys recommend?

>use rapier and shield, dueling fighting style
>wear medium armor until you max your Dex or take Medium Armor Master and keep using it
Is that all?

>overbalancing GMs

run while you still can

Lore Bard

Have the wizard roll each dart, rather than rolling once for all darts. The damage goes from (1d4+1+harvest)*[darts] to [darts]d4+1 + harvest
The Nuclear Druid's Lynch pin is only rolling damage once. Take that away and it's neutered, yet reasonable.

Does rolling 20 always mean auto success and rolling 1 failure? Last session our Rogue with 7 strength rolled a 20 a was able to bend his steel prison bars and escape to freedom.

My table and DM seem utterly convinced it does and tell me I haven't read the PHB clearly. If it's home ruling, that's fine. But, it doesn't seem to be in the PHB outside of combat.

Do your groups play with rolling 20 is auto success?

>The first thing Acererak will do is use a lair action to put an antimagic field on someone, either a powerful caster, or the guy with a big magical greatsword, effectively rendering them useless for the first round. Then he'll use his action to Trap the Soul of anyone that doesn't look too charismatic, and on a failure that person will literally be out of the fight
This. Unless you're playing him really stupidly, or the players just get really lucky on their saves, it should be a really tough fight. Especially since he can hover outside of melee range and Trap the Soul of any ranged fighters, using antimagic fields to shut down casters.

>Does rolling 20 always mean auto success and rolling 1 failure?
No, you stupid faggot. Delusions like this is why the "flying dwarf" story exists.

Yeah, basically. Dex > Cha > Con, unless you want to go full Cha Oath of Devotion for better saves for everyone. Grab Sentinel for Reaction attacks while deep in melee plus increasing your stickyness if you're going to town on something.

On attack rolls, yes. On any other rolls, you still need to beat the DC.

only in attacks. when you have checks you have a DC you need to beat

20 is always an auto success if your DM is a memelord. There are DCs higher than 20.
1 is usually always an auto failure however

nat 20s have never applied to skill rolls. Attack rolls must still meet or beat opponent AC to crit.

The only time you should let people crit outside of combat is if you want to invoke Morrowind acrobatics tier shenanigans

God, no. Only attack rolls are auto-success on a 20 (and specifically, a critical hit, but critical hits aren't themselves auto-hits) and auto-fail on a 1.

Critical success and failure on any other kind of test is cancer.

>Holy fuck we're trapped in prison
>Quick, everybody punch the wall really hard and if one of us gets a 1/20 chance the wall will just fucking crumble

You won't get the better weapon feats, so honestly you're kind of fucked because a proper paladin will be doing ~50% more damage with a quarterstaff than you'll be doing with a rapier.

But, hey, I guess you're only doing 2/3 as much, right? So it can work.

80 hit points is the maximum. The Demilich has a unique version of Undead Nature that gives it the maximum number of hit points for its Hit Dice.

If you look at the Solar's Slaying Longbow, it also has a DC 15 Constitution saving throw to resist dying outright, so there might be some sort of trend. Maybe the developers want Instant Death effects to be fixed at a medium DC? I don't know.

>New group
>Ask guy playing wizard why he decided to take 8 dex and 8 con
>'I don't like minmaxing'
should be fun

..what?
did he just take a penalty for no reason and not add it to his more important wizardy stats? Because if not, minmaxing is exactly what he did.

unless he rolled for stats, in which case good on him for having the balls to keep that shit.

Like everyone else said. That natural 20 and natural 1 rule only exist in attack.

Not ability check. Not saving throw.

>tfw you get higher than 20 but you don't succeed then someone that has a negative in the skill comes along and does it because they crit

At least when I go for an 8 con wizard it's 'Part of the character' or 'It's more interesting' or 'I'm playing a character with very notable weaknesses so I don't overshadow everyone with my great wizarding'.

'Lol no minmaxing' is just being a faggot.

Alright so, new character introduced to party, after dying a murderhobos death. Probably the strangest intro I've seen.

>party is speaking to a captain of the guard
>clearing their names since their deceased leader went on a rampage
>they are given an unruly prisoner that they don't want to keep around anymore
>a half elf drunken master monk
>immediately on being freed of his manacles the monk squats down and shits out a bottle of ale
>"the size of a 40"
>make the monk roll sleight of hand, 14/dc15. The ale was not sealed well.
>monk chugs half of it
>his name is Jackie Chan
>our rick artificer tries to outdo him, doesn't hear that there is shit in the ale
>drinks the rest of the ale and a floater, fails con save
>violently vomits for a good 4 seconds
>paladin and guards are just watching dumbfounded
>they finally leave and journey into a swamp
>encounter froghemoth, who is sitting in the shallow water near the deep water
>Jackie chan runs up punches it and runs off taunting it
>Froghemoth shoots out a tongue and swallows Jackie chan
>it then begins to go into deeper water now that it ate
>no one in the party wants to go into the swamp water to chase after it- no spell casters either
>thus ends the chapter of Jackie Chan

Have them show evident. They are the one who clearly read the PHB, so they should be able to locate the rule.

Also

sageadvice.eu/2016/11/20/does-a-natural-20-mean-an-automatic-success/

sageadvice.eu/2016/05/13/does-a-natural-20-on-a-skill-check-a-critical-automatic-success/

man, I feel bad for JC having to reanswer this stuff over and over again.

strawpoll.me/12695324

Orcs are so gross.

The important wizardy stats after Int *are* Dex and Con. You can't start with more than 18 intelligence after racials no matter what, so whatever he did can't be minmaxing.

17 is actually the highest max. So he would've put points in CHA, WIS and STR.

That's an elf.

>roll 3 6s
>+2 to int

20 int

I'm assuming a point buy system

Orcs are black elves. Didn't you read lord of the rings?

>rolling
>rolling an 18
>playing a gnome

This doesn't sound likely m8.

>Shit monk archetype that only has flavour going for it yet the mechanics aren't represented in the flavour at all
>Chaotic stupid
>Copying a character's name
>half-elf and monk at same time

He deserved it.

>Rolling for stats

In any /5eg/ accepted game, you cannot start with more than 17 in a stat, period, because you use a superior system such as point buy and there is no +3, variant human giving the nearest thing to a +3.

>80 hit points is the maximum.
Holy shit you're right! The average for 20d4 would be 50... I guess I'd just give it more HP, in that case. At least 100.

>Maybe the developers want Instant Death effects to be fixed at a medium DC?
That may be the case, but it could be just 8 + 7 (Solar's proficiency) = 15. As for the demilich, we have 8 + 6 (proficiency) + 1 (???) = 15. And only the Howl is save or "die", the legendary actions shouldn't be that low as well.

WhT the fuk is point buy?

Do I level up using gold??

>implying monthly UAs won't be scrambled together at the last minute

>He is really tough guys
>Just house rule him stronger
Alright buddy.

DC 15 at the suggested level of 13 is a fucking joke. Sure, some poor smuck might get smacked by trap the soul, because he lacks prof and attributes to keep him at a reasonable level... But but this requires the retarded GM question "uhh, who has the lowest save?", which should prompt a face punch from every single player at the table.

And even with 160 "effective" hit points, he will crumble super fast against a proper party. And CR20+? Are you kidding me? Like, wow, this is actually hilarious.

Just to nitpick, a Dwarven Revenant can have +3 CON and be an unkillable Barbarian Monster.

>empyrean

What the fuck, these things are insane

Do they hace the best stats?

>mfw giving my players option of rolling 2 sets of stats, and then using point buy if they don't like both