I've been playing online chess all day and getting my ass kicked

I've been playing online chess all day and getting my ass kicked.

Where can I get better at it?

This is the right board right?

Other urls found in this thread:

entertainmentjourney.com/index1
lichess.org/6ocMpeLo
amazon.com/Zurich-International-Chess-Tournament-Dover/dp/0486238008
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In theory, yes. In practice, no. We've got a few chess anons who are really good, and most of the rest are just casuals. The players who are really good (I'm not one of them) speak in a jargon that's more or less impenetrable.

Hey friend
I recently picked up chess too sorta. Been playing against the computer at level 3 and 4 on the chess.com app and gradually got to a level where I could beat it.
Played against a friend for the first time at lunch today and got my ass whooped hard, first time playing against a real person since I started playing a few days ago.

Anyway the chess.com app has lessons and puzzles that are good and I found this site that looks pretty good

entertainmentjourney.com/index1

I'm kinda in OPs shoes too, I've been playing amateurly for the past month or so
I use Lichess.com because it's completely free, got usermade lessons on there and their app is better designed. Also the puzzles are great. I started out around 1100 ELO rating and now I'm 1650 ish 1700 on a good day.

also I'm completely new to this board I just came here to see if there was a chess general or something.

This board lowers your IQ, not raises it.

hmm sounds like a level problem.
What level are your horsey thingeys? They need to be above lvl 5 before they unlock double movement

1650 to 1700 lichess is quite ok if you want my opinion

all of the above

Level? I've been playing against people, at least I think I have. I'm using that lichess app too.

I also thought this board would have a chess general. I think I'll look around that site more I didn't know it had levels or scores or anything like that.

what sorta build do you use? I use a horse herd build with 5 horsies. All level 10.
Of course I made them have a aura of confusion to every field around them.

Players hate it

Yea but what draws me so much towards chess is that my opponent and I have the same information, there's no chance, and no excuse for when I lose. When someone beats me it's not like they have a better ping or a higher DPI, they outsmarted me and I should've been able to see it. Its satisfying my inner autist when I get better.

chess.com has some good lessons to help you improve. You will get a rating there which will help you to find people at your level to play with.

Whats your ELO ?
I don't think there are enought chessanon to hold up a general here
You could try to do a lot of tactics, until you can see what's happening in the whole board and how to react to it

There is a small degree of chance, or at the very least apparent chance in light of very little meta-information.

Pretend for a moment that you're up against a guy who is really booked on one or two openings, but otherwise a noob. If you play those openings, you'll be in trouble, and if you avoid them, you'll have a better game. Given that you probably don't investigate every player you're up against, picking from your (hypothetically) much broader and more even opening set involves an element of chance.

I don't know. I've been playing just quick games anonymously all day. I think I'm going to make an account and do some proper learning about this.

It would appear that just playing all day isn't enough. I won maybe 3 games to about 50 lost.

Then hardtry like the autist you are, watch all your lost games afterward, and try new variations when you made a mistake.
Focus on your opening, and know how to punish your opponent if he make something too weird in the first 5 moves.
And learn tactics.
You should have some of the above at 1650 ELO, so try to have the rest

There is a small degree of chance depending on the person, what I'm getting at is why can't I be so much better? When someone beats me I review the game- see where I blundered or fuck up and move on. in a game of perfect information I shouldn't have an excuse. I don't like to play moves then hope my opponent doesn't see it, I play as if my opponent can read my mind. There's no hiding in chess.

lichess.org/6ocMpeLo

Can I see an example of your play? It would be easier to direct some comments if I had some idea what you're stumbling over.

So chess players have favoured openings and styles of play they rely on?

Oh very much yes. It tends to be most pronounced at the intermediate to weak expert level. As you get REALLY good, like, pro level good, it's harder and harder to maintain a noticeable style beyond just extremely accurate play.

Or you can force it like an autist

We sure there's not enough chessanons for a chess general?

Well, I haven't computer analyzed the game played, but here are some brief thoughts.

First problem to scour away is that you drop stuff. The 4th move you played, e4, simply lost a very important pawn, and I was stupid enough not to see it immediately, instead giving you an opportunity to salvage something out of it after cxd4, e5, Nd5, Qxd5, Nc6. I'm still better, but not by a whole lot. Instead, you played cxd, allowing me to take the pawn and then leaving you a pawn down and with a second one isolated. Try to map out at least all possibilities one ply ahead. My knight was covering e4 from the very first turn, so if you're considering moving something to there, make sure to have it covered, or make sure it's expendable.

I also didn't get much of a sense of overall strategy; even the very best players can only calculate about 40-50 ply ahead, and I don't pretend to do anything like that, nor do I expect a beginner to. You need to have some sort of system to work with outside your calculative ability, general principles to guide you when you're not crunching every possibility. I don't pretend to have a perfect set of them myself, but mine start with the notion that the more places a piece can move to next turn, the stronger it is. Consider the position after move 13. You're down a pawn, which is bad, but you're ahead on development, which is good. I want to trade pieces, since my one pawn advantage means more the less material there is. I'm guessing you tried to avoid that with Bc2, but note how that blocked off the c file, which is just about the only place the rooks can get scope. Now, it's tough because I can get to the c file too, and I can afford a trade and you can't, but you should be asking yourself, post-game, why you moved the bishop to C2 and not somewhere else.
1/2

The later stuff I'm not as concerned about, even if they were bigger and more immediately fatal. Once I got the rooks doubled on the open c file, there wasn't much you could do; and Chess is the sort of game where once you start falling behind, it's impossible to catch up, because the guy in the stronger position has more and better options which makes the strength disparity tend to increase. But you wasted time with moves like bringing the rook to the G file. There was no attack on the king possible, and I'm not sure what you think you could have done with that. I'm guessing you didn't want to trade rooks, and thus wanted to move, but that means I can freely double on the open file which you've completely ceded to me. Rac1, yes, unfortunately trades rooks if I wish to do so immediately, but it also keeps control of the critical file, at least for a little bit.

Recommendations are as follows

1) Before you even start the game, think about how you want to win, especially as white. Work out an ideal beginning, middle, and endgame. Obviously, your opponent will throw a monkey wrench into your perfect plans, but try to come up with ways over the board of returning to that perfect state instead of scrambling for a strategy in the middle of things.

2) Get into the habit of just checking every space I could conceivably take a piece on every turn.

3) Get this book. It's for the not quite rank beginner but the sort of player I think you're at.amazon.com/Zurich-International-Chess-Tournament-Dover/dp/0486238008

It's from a huge Interzonal tournament, with lots of really strong players, but the commentary makes the games comprehensible. Along the way you'll learn a lot of (admittedly old) opening theory, as well as midgame theory and concepts like controlling vital space.

2/2

Pic related will fix you or kill you
its 600 pages long and none is wasted

Thanks, user
I appreciate the feedback, no one I know irl is any good. Thanks

This thread has been a big help. Thank you all for the input.

Yeah chess something where you don't really get better with just practice, unlike learning and instrument say. You have to actually study it. You could play 1000 games and not really get any better unless you actively study.

>always enjoyed chess
>never really read into strategy
>decide to read ion some openings
>found queen's gambit fascinating
>never got to use it against people
>get crushed trying against computer
>time passes
>play my dad a few weeks ago
>start with gambit
>goes off perfectly

I don't know that I had ever felt so excited playing chess before. That was a strange feeling.

Would anybody be interested in having something like a tournament?

The queen's gambit is the only gambit i am fond of, because its hardly even a gambit.

At the top level grandmasters play it and it results in draws often.

I would
How would you set it up ?

Just add me on Lichess- weswesteron. We can play there, if there are more chessanons we can organize a tournny

>Sicilian
>25% victory rate

never play a sicilian when death is on the line.

>can't even beat stockfish level 1
:/

>Play online chess sober
>0 wins, 6 losses
>Record 0 of my losses because why dwell?
>Disgusted, leave game.
>Much later.
>Play online chess drunk
>7 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses
>Recorded 0 of the victories because - drunk.

I don't know what went right.

im too scared to play against real people because i can't even beat level 1 :/

so i just spam puzzles but i dont get any better and don't even know how to start the game properly

kill all the Queen Gambit

Long live e4

Most of the time people just decline the gambit and play with tension in the middle of the board.

IMHO, the best way to learn the ropes of decent chess playing is to learn all the endings, try to pick off loose pawns from your lowbie enemies, and slowly crunch your advantage into a King vs King + piece ending.

Basic opening principles (knights before bishops, control center, never go queen too early etc.) and you're good to go.

Enjoy your Berlin snorefests.

How much of an advantage does being white give you? I know the other user said it's pretty much equal pegging but moving first must give you a major advantage over the other player.

Open up a chess program, A full priced professional program is best but anything made in the last five years will do, set the AI to maximum and then enter in all your opponents moves as your own in the game.

Then proceed to follow all correspondencing countermoves the game does into your game.

There you go.

I hang out on a lot of Veeky Forums threads, and my lichess username is floplop. How many people do you think you'd need to get a tourny?

Bah. e4 is for children who want to get the game over with as quickly as possible. People who actually know how to maneuver play d4 or Nf3.

A fairly strong one. If you look at overall GM play from 2015, you have about 37.5% of games ending with white winning, 34.9% of games with draws, and only 27.6% victory for black.

Bump

no one will cut your balls off if you loose a game of chess so stop being a giant fagot and just play

at beginner level you won´t even notice the difference

To elaborate on what said, the first move advantage means more the higher the level of skill. Beginners waste moves all the time. One more or less doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. It's only at the very, very top, when one mis-placed move is not only possible to ruin your game, but is virtually certain to, that going first means a lot.

i just cant do it :(

I used to be the same way. what I did was play anonymously for a few rounds.

I'm drunk as FUCK I just beat my best friend girlfriend at chess

wow you beat a girl good job

>harder to maintain a style
It's because taking from other top players games is a more efficient way of training for top players but there always was and always will be players with very noticeable style at the highest level. Sometimes part of their style of play will become adopted by the other top players and stop being seen as peculiar.

Examples are Tal, reti et al., any world champion. And above all Sultan Khan (he didn't castle most of the time).

>speak in a jargon that's more or less impenetrable.
If you're an imbecile perhaps.

In my experience you can't get better by practicing, you just have to be born with good genes

These are the words of a man who has never practiced in his life.

I've actually practiced very hard. Not at chess, though.

Everyone has potential, homie. You might not become the world champ, but you can get where you rek a good percentage of the population.

op and chessanons
Learn endgame mates
Play tactics a bunch
Then, YouTube an opening for white and black (I've been using thechesswebsite's videos,) and watch it until you have it in your head what goes where, when.
Play shittons of matches, feel the burning pain when you hang a piece, and double check your opponents fucking bishops before you move.

The first two will get you ahead on knowing what to do when you're past openings and you've got to rely on yourself
I've found the opening video I watch gets me pumped to jump right into a game and try what I've learned.

Rinse, repeat, improve.
I'm by no means an expert, or even good, but tactics, openings and play have been the biggest thing for me

I'm on chess.com as zstones if you guys wanna play

Clearly bait but for anyone interested about culture vs nature read about the Polgar family. A couple of mathematicians had 3 daughters, they said it's all about hard work, each daughter became woman world champion.

You didn't practice baiting

You know that taking chess seriously doesn't actually make you smarter than other people, right?

> He prepared for fatherhood prior to marriage, reported People Magazine in 1987, by studying the biographies of 400 great intellectuals, from Socrates to Einstein

Damn. It says he taught them chess, like a subject, for years. This is no simple game it would seem.

Do you have a Lichess account?

I just made one, same username zStoneS
I got 5 hours sleep, but I'm game