youtube.com/watch?v=P9XcDKNoZ1g
youtu.be/_wdvzFUjoEQ?t=1m9s
youtube.com/watch?v=2O1qgl5th1I
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=394360
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

System?

Spike strips.

5e

Marbles, the grease spell or giant awakened gorillas.

Fast you say...

Really, just blare the pic related music in your player's ear until they give up. Also """"Girl""""

Nefarious traps
An edgehog

>ONE of my players
>THEIR final speed

Their refers to a singular entity, please choose one of the two available pronouns

Have him job to psychic gorillas, a dude who spams mirror image, wizards with lightningbolt and an incredibly jealous man from the future

>girl

youtube.com/watch?v=P9XcDKNoZ1g

Introduce Dr Ovum

start factoring in air resistance and friction.

or introduce underwater combat.

>player has hit 250 f/s
jesus christ how horrifying

Landmines.

An angry wizard.

Divine intervention.

Or some unholy combination of the above.

dangerous terrain.

well look at you being all prescriptivist. it turns out in the 21st century english is spoken by a great many people who understand "their" as a gender non-specific singular pronoun. you may not like it, but it's so. that clock can't be turned back, and this is the internet, not a grade school paper in english.

deal.

Give him a nemesis who is trying to do the same thing (make him like the reverse flash to his flash) and absoloutely fucking hates him, to the point where he will find him on campaigns and fuck with him, trying to prove he is the fastest man in the realm.

Force Wall.

Have fun hitting a wall (you can't see) with about 2,700N of force my maths may be off, possibly by a lot, I did the math on the fly..

Their as a third person singular sexless posessive pronoun is perfectly acceptable unless you're peak /pol/ or peak autist (but I repeat myself).

But seriously, get your panties out of a knot, it's perfectly fine english you fucking faggot.

In D&D?
Wall of Force. It's translucent, and they'll have a perception penalty for going fast. Treat it as falling damage.

>Landmines able to detonate in a timeframe capable of harming someone moving at greater than 250 f/s

Honestly, I'd *celebrate* this. Have travellers from distant lands approach with a prophecy about the great fastness, a task that can only be accomplished by someone who knows the true meaning of speed, or perhaps a warning about the eldritch beings who will take notice once his velocity begins to match theirs.

>my player has a goal, how I piss all over his face?
>pretending actual gender nonconformity isn't stupidly rare

Shit thread.

Friction?

>thinking there's anything wrong with using sexless third person pronouns
Do you hate the word they?

youtu.be/_wdvzFUjoEQ?t=1m9s

Filament wire. Everywhere.

Serious question, why do you want to counter it? Is his movement speed proving unexpectedly powerful or otherwise worrisome, or are you just trying to think up fun challenges designed for someone who can move that fast?

The motives really do matter in terms of answering the question, in this case.

It was fine until you decided to make a big deal out of something innocuous and irrelevant.

Friction, encumbrance, nets. Very small encounter areas.

Those characters sure die easily.

Spike traps. Spike traps everywhere

Plenty have anons have already answered the same way, but to condense it all: traps. And not the kind that your picture depicts.

The more traps are sprinkled in a given area, the more likely someone moving at sanic sped is going to run over them. Make it obvious that they exist, and they'll tone down the gofast for fear of tripping something. That way they still get to keep their stepitup for when they actually want it, while you get to put on the brakes when it benefits you.

How the fuck? Rounds are 6 seconds, and off the top of my head movement speed is probably highest on a wood elf monk with mobile. That would put speed up to 75 after level 18. The dash action doubles speed, but it's not like you can do it multiple times in a round, so that would be 150 a round, or 25 f/s. What the hell is being added here?

If he touches the ground, he's done.

user, arrows in deeandee have no 'speed', they hit their target in the instant they're fired.

user, things in deeandee have no inertia. Falling damage is the only place where you take damage from seemingly similar conditions.

Seriously guys, you're like the sperglords who try to major creation some antimatter and expect it to work.

Seriously, this thread gives me autism.

Aarakocra monk with mobile and haste goes faster.
>The dash action doubles speed, but it's not like you can do it multiple times in a round
Monks can dash as a bonus action by spending ki.

>user, arrows in deeandee have no 'speed', they hit their target in the instant they're fired.
>user, things in deeandee have no inertia. Falling damage is the only place where you take damage from seemingly similar conditions.

You must be the shining light of joy at your table

Allow them to keep increasing their speed through more and more dangerous magic items and rituals, until it approaches infinity and so does their mass, sucking the party into a black hole and starting a new campaign on the other side without them.

Okay, so then with bird man, feat, monk levels, and haste (which I'm assuming is from an ally) that's 90 before haste, then since the way DnD traditionally adds together multipliers between haste, and 2 dashes that would be 90x4 or 360 or 60 f/s
Considering it only gets really good when combining taking no other actions and using a caster's concentration I don't really see why it would need to be specifically addressed. Letting players be a flying race is probably a bigger cause for problems, and he apparently approved that. Any speed over 60 basically means they can avoid most non-ranged enemies anyway

>How do I counter this?
Surely you mean challenge him.

A wall.

hold person.

>player wants to have a nice thing through mastery of the system
>how do I ruin this
You're a cunt. That said, make Professor Zoom to his Flash.

I think you'll find that two can play as this game

>not tabaxi
He won't be the fastest.

The easy answer to this is any locked room that isn't particularly large, but even things like enemies preparing to attack when he gets close rather than trying to move up to him would also do the trick (though if you're doing it before they have any reason to believe he's some hit and run speedster it's kind of bullshit)

Speeding fines and speed cameras

Magic Missile

Walls and webs. He doesn't have spider climb after all.

Between being a monk and able to fly unless those walls are connected to a ceiling they aren't doing much

Oh right. Bird person.

>600 f/s
>Roughly 409 mph

Mythbusters Episode 87 demonstrates that a vehicle can travel faster than a speed camera can take a picture at high speeds. Even modified to account for these high speeds, the speed camera used was unable to photograph a car moving 245 mph.

He's roughly 170 mph right now, which might be enough to circumvent the speed camera, but is otherwise edging closer to a speed which will be too fast to track on conventional speed-reading equipment.

In addition to things already mentioned:
- Gelatinous cubes
- Basilisks
- Creatures that can grapple
- Beholders
- trip wires (for actual tripping)
- magical traps
- Bigby's Hand
- Ensnaring Strike
- Entangle
- Evard's Black Tentacles
- Flesh to Stone
- Forcecage
- Imprisonment
- Power Word Stun
- Prismatic Spray
- Symbol of Stunning
- Telekinesis
- Tasha's Hideous Laughter
- Web, obviously.

>creature grapples dude going 1500 mph
>creature is now also going 1500mph

Dude keeps going at 1500mph. His arms don't.

>no inertia on regular movement
>only place it matters is falling.

So set a condition where if the player hits something unexpectedly going at X speed, it works in a similar fashion to fall damage.

For example, if they are moving from point A to point B, but don't see the invisible wall of force, they slam into it, dealing X amount of damage per movement.

For example: youtube.com/watch?v=2O1qgl5th1I

That solid fog spell where you can't move more than 5 ft at a time in it. It doesn't matter how fast he is, in the fog his move speed is 5.

Alternatively, have him trigger a custom made Inevitable whenever he goes above X speed, like 400 f/s. The more times he goes above that speed, the better the Inevitable gets a lock on his location.

He won't know he is even triggering the damn thing until, in the middle of the fight, he looks over and there is a silvery automaton running in perfect step with him.

"PULL OVER."

>BBEG gets wind of this
>panics at first
>remembers people have designed stuff to counter fast moving things
>every inch of his place is covered in spikes and caltrops

The World

But no seriously time fuckery seems like an easy hard-counter. Doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't move within the frozen time.

>doesn't matter how fast you are

Well, thats not technically true. If you move fast enough, time dilation would get to a point where time has essentially stopped. I imagine you would be able to move in stopped time, albeit with some difficulty at first.

force exhaustion on them every time they get above a certain speed which only gets removed during a long rest. They will have to think more carefully about WHEN to go fast. Also you could have them age rapidly due to magic when they reach top speed, and must find a magical item that the BBEG or a close henchmen has to slow the aging process, but not stop it.

>Speed Patrol Inevitable
I didn't know I wanted this until you said it.

That's only if time is slowed to a very very slow rate. Aka, time appears frozen but is actually moving at 1/1000th of its normal speed. In that situation, a very fast objective will still appear to move at some noticeable speed.

If time is STOPPED stopped, 0.00% speed? The speedster is likewise frozen as well. Unless you are Barry Allan, because Speedforce is a hell of a drug.

let them fulfill dream

The best part is, it gives him a new goal (outrun the Inevitable) but also opens up the question: WHY is there a multiversal law against going too fast?

What are they trying to prevent you from doing?

So it gives you a 'counter' you can bring up whenever his speed would be too hax, but also a personal plotline to explore and overcome as well.

If you just want to stop him there's plenty of solutions on this thread already.

But if you want to make it fun and really surprise him, I support both the idea of having a character challenge him as the fastest creature alive, and the idea of letting him (trough that competition) go so fast that he travels trough time and space.

Why contain it?

Honestly all super fast characters can do to a DM that normal ones can't is get in ranged's faces quicker

>why
The God of Speed's position has been a tedious one at best. Whenever a mortal exceeds the speed that bought the current God of Speed into godhood they immediately ascend and dethrone the current God. This has been the way ever since the first God of Speed ascended running from a sabertooth.

The current God of Speed created the inevitable to hunt down any and all who exceed X Speed to disway them from continuing their development and eventual overthrowing of the current God.

>user, arrows in deeandee have no 'speed', they hit their target in the instant they're fired.
FUCKING HITSCAN BULLSHIT

Speed is one thing. If he's moving faster than a fucking car then make him do dex/athletics checks, if he's going so fast that it would cause physical issues then con. There's also the question of how he can breathe, or if he can see without goggles or something to keep the wind from blinding him.

Speed doesn't mean your limbs can actually hold themselves together without some kind of augmentation when just keeping yourself at that speed involves motions that would snap bones and rip limbs apart. If you're going to use bullshit like outrunning arrows because of their speed, then question how their body actually manages to do that. It's not that useful if going all out means you immediately fall over.

Attacks of Opportunity don't care if the creature is moving 5ft/s or 500ft/s. If they pass through a threatened square the creature gets an attack.

it's almost as if DnD is a dungeon-crawl game and not a go-fast simulator

Shit, I shouldn't have lost that tabaxi meme.

Your stupid politics don't trump grammar. They/them/their has been used as a singular pronoun for centuries. Get fucked kiddo.

To that user's defense you don't want to start calculating how much bonus damage a character moving at 600ft/round should get to his thrown weapons. Sometimes abstractions staying abstractions is a-okay.

OP said f/s, so unless he meant round then it's even worse than that. 409mph PC coming through.

Well "he" is no longer a genderless pronoun, so yeah I am fucked.

It doesn't matter how fast you are when time is stopped

>So set a condition where if the player hits something unexpectedly going at X speed, it works in a similar fashion to fall damage.
So, falling sideways?

or erased

why do you want to shut down what is obviously what is fun for that player? also the easiest counter to a fast moving target would be AOE magic.

>Well "he" is no longer a genderless pronoun, so yeah I am fucked.
>no longer
What.

We're in shitland now boys! The stupidity of the OP has translated so far down the thread that it's summoned morons and trolls that have descended below standard stupidity. Our only hope is to post lewds or start discussing foreign policy.

This. There's absolutely nothing broken about this character. They can run up to ranged opponents fast, and if your being generous (and there is no reason not to be) they can't be hit by arrows that they are running directly away from. Woop dee doo?

Chellenge his speed with obstacle and test his reflex.

What would happen if all those Swiss banks containing foreign money went under?

Running too fast, and you approach the speed of light. Approach the speed of light, and you start to dick around with special relativity in a significant way and therefore causality. That seems like something the gods might want to discourage.

Why do you want to fiat away his build that does nothing but help him get from point A to B faster than normal. Hell, you could accomplish more with a single casting of teleport than he can running for a week straight (haste has a time limit).

The speed of light is about it 983,500,000ft/s. user would have to multiply his current build by almost 3,934,000 to get that fast.

In abstract terms, though, special relativity is a totally acceptable reason for why the gods might want to keep an eye on somebody who is clearly insane and fixated on going inhumanly fast.

>Monks can dash as a bonus action by spending ki.
The effect doesn't stack retard. Your players are abusing the rules and you're too pussy to put your foot down.

Why don't gods ban teleport then? A thirteenth level wizard can teleport 1,300 miles in one second. That's 6,864,000ft/s.

Yeah. So when their movement speed hits four digits miles per round call the divine hotline. Until then my wizard is going to be beating every race with teleport.

Jesus Christ, the question was "Why would the gods care about someone going really fast?" Yeah, user's character isn't quite fast enough for my idea to apply to him yet, but it's a perfectly good answer to the abstract question posed.

Fuck, man, I don't know. Teleportation seems to me like a different kind of "motion" from physical movement, though: speed requires that you exist at point B when you're moving from point A to point C, but teleportation just skips all possible points C and just boops you to C immediately. In other words, it doesn't involve relativity (or "speed") in the first place, and so has nothing to do with my idea.

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=394360
Make something faster that can use fast as a weapon.

>Hey tee gee my player is a fighter with 20 CON and has like 180 hp at level 10. How do I nerf?
You guys sound like this. So what the player character can move fast. What hell is he going to DO with that speed?

Alright, I don't recognize this particular Sayman, but I'm pretty sure this is gonna get lewd, or feels, possibly both.

I pick up a rock
I run with rock at enemy
During my move as a free action I let go of rock
Rock moves at relativistic speeds and hits enemy
I am already away from the nuclear explosion of D6's this caused.

>user, things in deeandee have no inertia. Falling damage is the only place where you take damage from seemingly similar conditions.
Thats wrong. Forced movement into objects usually causes the creature to take damage per distance before being splattered against a wall.

>In other words, it doesn't involve relativity (or "speed") in the first place,
But it still breaks causality. You can send a signal and teleport to a location before it arrives there.