ITT: Tropes that always choke you up

ITT: Tropes that always choke you up.
>The villain who knows he's an absolute monster so he desperately clings on the last shreds of his humanity he has left in a last ditch attempt to keep the abyss from consuming him completely.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g7TAAw3oQvg
youtube.com/watch?v=HC7_qPCflnY
youtube.com/watch?v=6ybY00x49B4
youtube.com/watch?v=mGb10dNy26A
splcenter.org/20100126/terror-right
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The hero takes a crippling blow and gets knocked down
>Fighting to stay conscious while the screams of his friends/the innocent echo in the background
>Hero painfully staggers to his feet and continues powering through the enemy
>Takes insane amounts of punishment before he finally goes down for good
>Bonus points if he gets knocked down and picks himself back up again and again
It doesn't even matter if he succeeds or fails, this trope always manages to be gripping either way
>Pic related, first example that comes to mind

Why didn't he just stay down and play dead to fool the orcs?

inspector kido did nothing wrong

The orcs were taking Merry and Pippin, he was trying to save their asses

This will always be a classic.

guy sacrificing himself to save the girl

actually last stands of any sort.

they don't choke me up, though, i actively fantasize about them.

>Minor re-occurring villain
>You learn bits and pieces about them as the story progresses
>They're hardly the worse evil in the game, let alone related to them.
>Obvious final battle with them when they're at their peak
>Kill them and get unique loot
>Don't kill them and make them your ally

A jaded paladin who hates his selfless job of saving people, but continues doing it despite it, because "it's a job that needs to be done, and if not me - then who?".

Apart from , orcs eat dead people. It's not a good idea to play dead with them.

The animal companion dies.

A well-done last stand gets me. Absolute certainty of death, the option to flee, and the completely free choice to stand, fight, and be annihilated to a man, all because they believed in something greater.

>bad guys rely on large numbers
>bad guys lack emagination and can be easily tricked using a little bit more of a tactical thinking
>bad guys are overly confident and naddow-minded
>bad guys are shown as dumb and/or uncivilized
>bad guys don't value lives of their own men and throw them into suicide attacks without remorse

I know it's supposed to give players a feeling of moral superiority, but damn.

the animal companion has a grave next to the heroes.

>Good guy becomes villain in order to focus hatred on himself
>His defeat ends a major conflict as the opposing sides united to stop him
>The world becomes a better place but hardly anyone knows the truth
>People will always remember this hero as a despicable piece of filth
Gets me every time

>hero does this to one of his friends/teammates in the name of the greater good
>accepts the enormity of his betrayal and allows himself to be brought to justice
inb4

>light-powered bad guys
>science and nature being on equal footing
>egalitarian magic

>Bad guys are vastly superior in terms of numbers, resources and overall military strength
>Bad guys are overconfident scumbags
>Good guy chessmaster strategist wins battles by using guerrilla tactics and using their own strength against them
>Exactlyasplanned.jpg
Even better when the strategist is overly dramatic and has his own special theme that plays whenever he causes a shitstorm

>Hero captures enemy lieutenant
>Turns out they are pretty decent people and work for the bad guy not out of sharing his ideas but because he owes him for saving their lives
>Party takes them to far away place to stand trial/be executed/be imprisioned
>On the way they become good friends with them. Bonus points for lovers with one of the main heroes.
>Halfway through, villain thugs ambush them. Assumedly to free lieutenant.
>During the fight it becomes clear they just want to kill lieutenant so it doesn't spill the beans on the villains plan.
>Lieutenant visibly heartbroken.
>Get to trial, whatever. Confesses to everything and allowed themselves to be taken to the headman's block without fighting.
>Look their friends in the eye and say something on the lines of "I'm sorry I can't betray him. But I do hope you defeat him. Farewell, friends."

youtube.com/watch?v=g7TAAw3oQvg
Answer to your picture.

Both of these. Facing down against hopeless odds until the hero or small force is utterly obliterated.

youtube.com/watch?v=HC7_qPCflnY

Forgot link, whenever this plays you know shit just got real
youtube.com/watch?v=6ybY00x49B4

>Heroic figure
>Usually in some kind of leadership position against whatever the main threat is.
>Knows with 100% certainty her or she isn't up for the task, doesn't have the power or skill or whatever it is to actually beat the evil.
>Desperately looking for some kind of lifeline
>Often pushed into the leadership role despite lack of ability to do it, won't evade the responsibility because despite knowing he or she is inadequate, there's no obvious better choice.

I can't find a good picture, but someone like Prothall.

>villain is assassinated midway through his speech

>villain doesn't know the full extent of the power he holds, which becomes his undoing

>villain gets what he wants, on the conditions he wants. Turns out, it's not what he really wanted

>villain is actually just trying to save a loved one. He tried to be legitimate but that got nowhere so he turned to villainy

>Heroes defeat villain, gain his power, become variant villain

>Heroes defeat villain, gain his power, realise that it's hard to not follow his path

Any of these

jew get out

What is anime cliche for 1000$

No.
youtube.com/watch?v=mGb10dNy26A

>Hero with dark past questions wether they deserve a second chance.
>Character wants nothing more in the world than to stop their fight and live a quiet life, but accepts this isnt possible.
>Hero knows he cant win against impossible odds, but faces it with a defiant comment anyway.
>Coming across the scene of some long past Hero's death.
>Hero goes beserk on people shit-talking a newly dead ally - bonus if said ally was an ass who redeemed himself in death.
>Riding off into the sunset.
>Hard fought happy endings that are actually happy without a forced twist.

>Go to cinema to watch that with granpa when I was young
>Granpa starts crying to that scene
>"what's the matter?"
>"don't worry, just reminded me of stuff"

>Heroes and Villains both had a similar start
>Only thing that kept the good guys good was the fact they wanted to be the good guys
>Villains didn't do anything wrong until a critical tipping point
>Both parties just want to either be stopped or finish their job.

>the hero dies but the animal companion doesnt

this is why I consider it a blessing and a curse that my granddad is dead. He fought in the Polish Resistance, I imagine he could have told me some shit, but I'm not sure i'd have been able to handle it

>Hero suffers great losses and despair throughout their journey
>By the time the journey reaches its climax the hero is almost completely broken and has nothing waiting for them to return to
>Hero performs a heroic sacrifice, their last words are about how they have nothing to lose anymore
>At least this way they can go out knowing they did some good

splcenter.org/20100126/terror-right

Answer to your "answer"

>Protagonist isn't the Hero
Gets my dick hard every time so long as it isn't expressively stated from the beginning.

Holy shit

>animal companion tried to wake the hero
>they aren't waking up
>oh well, guess I'll lay here until he does
alternatively
>does so only long enough for the hero to realise they're dying and say goodbye

Dude right in the feels man, Burnside was one of the only half decent people to make commander of the Army of the Potomac prior to Grant arriving as General in Chief. He knew he wasn't made for it and did his best, and it lead to all those brave lads at Fredericksburg dying ;____;

Worst thing? I never gave it a second though till I grew up, I was a kid back then, but now I can't ask him because he's dead

sorry to hear, user.
hope he got to see his friend

>Hero is broken with nothing to lose.
>Then he finds something worth fighting for.
>The final fight has him almost back to his old self.
>Dies with the knowledge he was able to do some good in the world.

If I was a big Wolverine fan Logan would have emotionally destroyed me

I posted this in the other trope thread but:
>Immortal becomes close friends with a mortal
>Immortal must stand and watch as their ally wastes away and eventually dies
>bonus points if the immortal is the only one left to mourn their friend
>double bonus if they would trade their immortality to be with their lost friend

Those last two actually happened in a group I've been with for a while. I got kinda choked up over it.

Also:
>the hero loses someone important to them in a battle, or sudden accident
>all they can god is shout 'no' over and over and over again.

>>can god
wtf? That's supposed to be 'can do.'

Note to self: do not post after a twelve hour shift

>splcenter.org/20100126/terror-right
>southern poverty center

>Villain have collosal advantage and literally cannot be beaten (god tier)
>Protagonist know that he have no chance to survive or win but still try to beat villain - he must do this to protect his loved one
>Hero and his lover is annihilated with one, cold, merciless attack of villain.

I love scenes where hero stands against undefeatable enemy and he have no chance of victory.

>homura vs valpurgisnacht
>willard & lion vs bernkastel

>outdated statistics

Lol

>Villain's plan sounds evil at first
>Heroes kill him
>Later find out his plan was actually to delay or stop an even bigger bad guy/group from initiating their plan

I have never seen this implemented well. Every 'The Villian was a Good Guy all along!' twist comes out of nowhere and just feels cheap.

>the hero and the villains lieutenant fight
>exhausted but evenly matched, they both take a break
>eventually start to talk
>turns out the lieutenant isn't all that different from the hero
>same farmboy background, same hunger for adventure, same idealistic wish to do good
>but instead of the heroes kindly old mentor, lieutenant got the Big Bad
>one bad choice lead to another, and before he knows it, he's the 2nd in command of the evil empire
>conversation ends with both of them laughing, wondering how things could be different
>resume the duel, hero kills lieutenant
>hero gives lieutenant a proper burial, continues his journey

bonus points if lieutenant was potential romantic interest

Fable 3

snape

I weep for your generation

>well done
>fable 3

Villain was good only works as a non-twist. It has to be heavily hinted at that he's doing bad things because there's something on the horizon that's worse than what he's doing, or it feels cheap.

Hero that's been fighting for an eternity and just wants to give up and die, but knows that their leadership and martial prowess is the only thing keeping their family/loved ones/ race alive

St celestines newer stuff reminds me of this

Brandon Sandersons Shardblade books

Fable 3 was hot garbage overall, but the way that pulled that shit was the worst part. Then to add insult to injury you get your turn at making the choice to be a tyrant or to let your kingdom be decimated.

>Joke Villain could actually be one of the most powerful beings in the world if he was more smart/ambitious/etc

>Immortal is always distant and cold towards allies
>Does it because he doesn't want to get attached knowing he would outlive his friends

>two side characters develop a loving and respectful relationship
This one is often oddly in MC relationships that are somewhat unhealthy, when you look at them.

>villain that comes over to the heroes, over time is so one of them it's hard to remember they were a villain in the first place
This is typically best done in long-running series like Dragonball; the risk there being that a show might get to shit before that particular trope can really be felt.

Then there are a few that don't really "choke me up," but turn my crank in general.
>normal person capable of keeping up with somehow-superpowered heroes through sheer efficiency
>when crank-ass choreography/animation are paired with a soundtrack that does perfect justice
>the most dangerous member of the party is the one least willing to do violence; this is best if they're the most dangerous by a hilarious degree a-la Logen Ninefingers
>characters who are seen as bumbling and incompetent but have been exceptionally professional and efficient the entire time, their silliness being a clever ruse--extra points if hints can be seen with an eagle eye or on a rewatch
>mooks that are actually efficient and scary, established through more than just the one token "fear the bad guys," scene
>a slow build-up of characterization and genuinely careful writing end up toward violence--and that violence is beautifully directed with the same TLC as the rest of the film

I'm actually more fond of the opposite.
>immortal knows he'll lose these friends, but wants to know them so closely and remember them so vividly that no matter what, they'll never really be dead

oddly in contrast with*

Jesus fuck.

Hate this

> the villain knows he fucked up and is doing everything in his power to keep the world together but in doing so must be a tyrant
>he knows the world is doomed when he is defeated by the heroes but as he dies he hopes the heroes do a better job than he did

what's /co/ about this?

>big scary dude is also the nice/smart one
>villain has a perfectly reasonable, relatable goal
>the lieutenant is more evil than the BBEG

I love this shit, and I think that's why I loved TTGL so much. All the villains were trying to simian make the universe not fucking die, then these fucking shits come along and run everything.

>Recurring "Villain" was just a normal creature that was taken as a slave and broken through torture.
>Only speaks in grunts and pained screams
>So far gone that even when their master/chains are gone, and they can be free, they keep doing as they were told.
>Keep getting back up whenever knocked down
>Only stop when the put out of their misery

This is the story of a dragon in my campaign, but I'm positive it's all tropes, I just can't think of where I got them.

>Joke Villain actually is one of the most powerful beings in the world but just uses it lightheartedly because he got sick of actual keikakus and moustache-twirling evil back in the late neolithic

>the crazy merchant that always has the rarest most pointless shit for sale and asks for strange things in return or is generally enigmatic and charismatic enough to make you buy it.
>rat from thrilling intent
>armless merchant from my last session

>>characters who are seen as bumbling and incompetent but have been exceptionally professional and efficient the entire time, their silliness being a clever ruse--extra points if hints can be seen with an eagle eye or on a rewatch
Reminder that Snoke is Jar Jar Binks

>Playing Shadow of the Colossus
>Make fun of the horse for the whole game with my little brother
>Final Colossus
>Horse falls off the bridge
>Our faces when

>they don't

I really loved that series. I've been meaning to read it again

>The minor villain is wants the hero to kill him

Not him, but the film version of Watchmen fits the bill

>The two closest friends of the group have a dramatic rift in philosophy and cannot allow the other to succeed

>villain has their tactics and abilities turned on them and then some
>suddenly with their one major advantage they are instantly on the back wall, forced to endure the same seemingly futile struggle their victims were

Teach me to be a Hero...

Screw you all, that might have been a shit game but Walter was a good character.

>Icy calm brilliant villain.
>Restrained, even in the face of adversity, often shrugs off temporary setbacks with the calm assurance that they can still turn this around.
>Until one day something not only happens that they don't expect, but it hits one of their few heartstrings
>And then they completely flip the fuck out, lashing out in an apoplectic rage.

God that rat dude fucked me up. He lost his arm, tongue, eye too I think? And the end he's still going even though he doesn't even care anymore.

He wasnt even a redeemable villain, but it was still so sad to see him die.

I'm not gonna front like Fable 3 was good, but I did really like a few things about it. The "usurp your brother, only to find out that he was right all along" was a good, if not poorly executed, twist.

My biggest disappointment with the game, though
>Find a buried desert mausoleum with statues of Jack of Blades everywhere
>Jack of Blades doesn't appear as the final confrontation

I was expecting that literally until the credits rolled.

>final drag out fight between hero and villain
>absolute slogge, fight is uncomfortably long
>they throw everything at eachother, men, guns, monsters, machines, weapons
>fight is reduced to two tired near naked fighters tiredly still trying to lay blows on eachother

>Woman who has chosen a path devoid of family briefly displays a motherly side when dealing with children and briefly wonders what might have been

>the heroes are a close-knit group of friends at the start of the journey
>by the end, through tragedy and hardship, many die, at least one becomes a new villain, and the others all separate and refuse to talk to one another

Hell, in Fable 2 I was expecting the whole game for you to get to the wish portion and for not-Kreia to steal the wish to ask for her brother back only to find he put on the mask at the end of Fable 1.

>Hero gets betrayed
>Spends the rest of their days living in isolation, miserable, filled with regret and anger
>Meets new heroes who remind him of himself and his friends
>Breaks into tears

Altenatively

>Old man crying
>For any reason

>The villain realizes they were wrong
>It's already far too late to right their wrongs

>Young adult character
>worn down by trauma and acts more like a bitter old man
>is slow to recognize new connections after losing more then one circle of friends and family
>only really sees after theyre gone
>if they hide their face often, it's revealed that they have really really fucking tired eyes
>if they do die, they just say something akin to "sleep... at last sleep" or "I'm coming home"

The antagonists isn't necessarily bad, and the protagonist isn't necessarily good

>Happy conversation
>Character accidently uses the name of his long dead friend by accident when talking to someone who reminds him of them.
>Immediately goes somber and politely excuses himself from the conversation, holding back tears

I wouldn't say that these choke me up, but
>Plucky comic relief/side character makes meaningful contributions to the plot/can hold their own
>MC is the comic relief
Looking at you, Joseph Joestar

>what is Big Trouble in Little China for 100, Alex?

>Hero gets betrayed
>Spends the rest of their days living in isolation, miserable, filled with regret and anger
>Meets new heroes who remind him of himself and his friends
>Breaks into tears

>Then mans the fuck up and joins the new young heroes as their mentor in a glorious redemption quest

meant for

Sounds like he was referring to Cyclops