/ysg/ - Yog-Sothothery General (Call of Cthulhu, for you noobs)

/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General
This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.

>Previous Thread:
>>???→

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:
>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4
______
>Flash Gordon's Space Opera
docs.google.com/document/d/1LJ_beiUVa7mpeKJGPBvH2yQCMDVWXLGawz4K39Rea8Q

>AM1200
vimeo.com/102372269

To start us off, I had a question about Masks of Nyarlathotep. Well, two.

First, how do you pronounce Nyarlathotep? I'm inclined to say "Nyar-la-tho-tep" or "Nee-yar-lat-ho-tep."

Second, Jackson Elias is supposed to be a good friend of one of the investigators, but he's kinda thrown at you in the beginning and dies immediately. I'd like his death to have more significance. Can you recommend any precursor stories in which he could appear that wouldn't shatter his "I'm a skeptic and everything can be explained rationally" philosophy? I'm thinking he should appear in a couple small scenarios without mind-breaking mythos appearances so that the players come to know and like him -- take the Corbitt House Haunting as an example of something simple where he might just disbelieve or rationally explain the investigators' reports.

I'm looking for the Mysteries of Mesoamerica supplement -- it's not in the PDF archive.

THE YITH ARE PUTTING SOMETHING IN THE WATER

IT'S TURNIN' THE FRICKIN' STAR SPAWN GAY

1. I usually go with something closer to the first pronunciation

2. You've got the right idea. Bring him on as an advisor or source of information, a skeptical enthusiast who takes a liking to the PCs, but don't have him get directly involved with the investigation if there is a risk of him seeing something he won't be able to rationalize. Maybe have him come to the rescue if the PCs have a run in with a cult that goes south. Players like characters who are useful to them.

Do you have any suggestions for scenarios which might be good? I have a group of newbies who know basically nothing about the mythos or mystery games and I've only ever played the game once.

I've been googling and I saw that "God of Mitnal" is an introductory scenario "starring" Jackson which was published in the no-longer-available MoN Companion. It's not in the file dumps above and I haven't found it.

The other one is the "Well of Sacrifice" in Mesoamerican Mysteries, by Pagan, which ALSO isn't in the dump above and I haven't found it. It's particularly good because it takes place in 1914 in Honduras... right when Jackson Elias is doing research on a mesoamerican death cult for his book in 1915. It's also a horror story with a non-Mythos villain.

Alas, can't find either. :(

If you've got suggestions of how to incorporate him into existing stories, let me know.

It's Egyptian, so 'the 't' in 'th' is silent, the 'y' is a short 'i' sound, so it is "Neye are la ho tep".

Never heard of either of those, but Well of Sacrifice seems like a decent candidate for a tie in if you can find it. Otherwise if you feel up to it you can just write your own scenario with a non-Mythos villain, maybe even use it to introduce one of the cults from Masks.

This guide is more tooled for Delta Green but I've found it to be a pretty useful template for general horror/mystery scenario writing.

I'm basically a beginner, so I'd worry about writing my own mystery.

Well of Sacrifices is in the mysteries of mesoamerica book, which is in the folder. It's a brutal scenario

Okay, how about this for a framework using the "Elias in 1914 Honduras" starter since we don't have Well of Sacrifice. Just fill it out with characters and do a bit of your own research into mesoamerican cults to find extra bits of stuff to twist into creepy details.

>Elias needs assistance/muscle to help him with his expedition, promises healthy pay and a credit in his book to anybody willing to take the job
>The PCs take the job
>Elia's previous research leads him to believe the cult has been disbanded for hundreds of years, intends for this to be an archeological dig
>Cult was big on ritual human sacrifice, mutilation, worshipping obscure deities, cannibalism, any combination of "creepy tribal cult" stuff you want to make them sound threatening
>PCs start finding weird totems, dead animals, fresh skulls, whatever around the dig site
>Guess what, the cult is still around and the PCs are fucking around in their territory

You can make the scenario more investigation, pulpy treasure hunt, or survival horror focused based on how you want to present the cult. For some added detail, maybe throw in a rival dig team that can be assholes or just get killed to show how the cult works. Maybe the party can find some sort of weird artifact that one of the cults in Masks can steal when they kill Elias.

Wait, what part of the folder? I Ctrl-F'd through it and didn't find anything.

Is Well of Sacrifice too brutal for noobs? I'm gonna start them with The Haunting, but they'll still be "noobs."

Thank you very much for this outline/help. It almost comes off as Raiders with Belloc!

Poster above you says Mesoamerica IS in the file dump, so I'm gonna look for it.

For the greater outline of the campaign, I'm thinking one of these would be best:

1. The Haunting (could even be an un-related oneshot to introduce them to CoC)
2. A Mesoamerican adventure featuring Elias. I'd like to have him save them at one point in a "drive up in a car* "Get in!" *drive away from villains* sense)
3. Another independent adventure -- maybe another ghost story.
4. Another Elias Adventure -- not sure what, yet. He might play a more minor role.
5. Masks of Nyarlathotep

OR

1. Haunting
2. Mesoamerican Adventure
3. Independent adventure
4. Masks of Nyaralathotep.

Spare the Rod has also been recommended as a low-intensity non-mythos story for noobs.

Hey guys, quick question for those of you more in the know about Delta Green lore

How do you think Delta Green would react to learning that we live in a Multiverse, and have learned how to travel to alternate dimensions?

I've been looking at using GURPS for their Infinite Worlds setting, and I think it would be interesting to see how Cosmic horrors would do as plot devices or BBEGs in a multiversal setting.

so now that it's wrapped up, what's /ysg/'s thoughts on Alan Moore's Providence?

Probably just file it as a possibly useful means of assassination/escape and then begin destroying all Stargates except their own.

CoC pdf archive. 5th edition i think?

It was great. Really redeemed Neonomicon, cant wait to pick up a collected edition

>How do you think Delta Green would react to learning that we live in a Multiverse, and have learned how to travel to alternate dimensions?

Probably they would try to gather and destroy any information they could find, since one of the unofficial guidelines of DG is that working with magic makes you part of the problem.

Depends on which group you're talking about. If it's the illegal one, they'd probably just destroy the method of doing so completely and be done with it, but if it's the DoD one, they may try to harness it for use in assassinations or whatever.

Hi Veeky Forums, I'm writing up a scenario for some friends and I was wondering if you folks had any ideas for how I could flesh out my story.

I stole the hook from somewhere on the Internet, but it's the year 1949 and the PCs are going to see a movie, All the King's Men. As the movie opens, the theatre is plunged into darkness. The PCs lose track of time, and by the time the lights are restored, just about everyone in the theatre room is dead with a symbol carved into their bodies.

The police arrive and arrest everyone still alive, at which point I'll have the PCs introduce themselves to the officer at the station. After this, the PCs will have to investigate just what the heck is going on.

I had a number of ideas in mind, one of which includes ripping off an old creepypasta series called 'The Holders', in which the reader is instructed on going to a certain location, speaking a certain phrase, and undergoing a spooky trial to reclaim a supernatural object of sorts.

I was gonna say deep ones, but that works too!

THE YITH ARE A RACE OF EXTRACHRONOLOGICAL CHILDMOLESTERS! ALWAYS DIDDLING CIVILIZATIONS THAT DON'T EVEN EXIST! #TIMEGATE

Leave the Yith alone. They've done nothing wrong.

If anybody can find the God of Mitnal scenario from the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Here's one thing that I always use for custom Lovecraftian scenarios.

I lock off some parts of the story, or I invent parts of the story that make no sense. This way the story keeps that Lovecraftian horror from lack of understanding.

If the players can figure everything out, it isn't really Lovecraftian.

That's some good advice user!

Leaving a lot of questions without answers should leave people intrigued or weirded out.

Is there a reason to play CoC instead of ToC? The latter is more modern right?

Both can be used to play modern games, although the skill lists are designed for 1920s era play and would have to be rewritten

Just based on the movie's title I'd be inclined to make it a King in Yellow scenario, maybe something in a similar vein as that movie Cigarette Burns, but The Holders is a pretty under utilized creepy internet thing with lots of good material.

idk, it's kind of more complicated than that though. I want my players to have some sort of satisfaction, and to feel like all of this searching has turned up a little bit of something. I like to give them some understanding of what's going on after a hard-won investigation.

giving them suspicions is a far cry from giving them answers though

I've recently started trying to have a ready-set mundane explanation for everything that happens

but I've also been running some low Mythos adventures lately

still, it's been pushing for better roleplaying

If anyone's interested, I did a shitty photoshop edit of Friend from 20th Century Boys with The Yellow Sign on his mask instead of the eye symbol.

Figured I'd post it here if anyone wants it.

We do live in a multiverse in Delta Green. It's just that all the alternates are horrific. ALL OF THEM. We're talking a thousand Carcosan, Deep Ones invading Boston, One million hunting horrors descending on the East Coast, Tsan-Chan 5000 years early, etc etc.

Not bad. How is 20th Century Boy anyway?

It's pretty excellent, I would 100% recommend you give it a read. If nothing else it's a hell of a page turner.

Non-euclidean bump.