What are the essential elements of a good space opera?

What are the essential elements of a good space opera?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/filename/space shows/type/op/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stop making it in space for one. It's shit if you don't actually follow physics.

Space empires/civilizations, conflict, high stakes and major consequences, flashy action, FTL travel

Good but optional: starfighters, starship combat, completely bullshit physics, sapient aliens, BDOs, tough moral choices

>Star Trek and Stargate better than B5
>mecha parody show Martian Successor Nadeshiko randomly in there, but no Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu

What the fuck is even that chart.

>The Expanse anywhere below High-Mid Tier
>Invader Zim on this list at all

>I hate fun

>I hate fun

Nice buzzwords kid.

lots and lots of time passing due to relativity

A huge, grand scale, tons of interstellar travel, spaceships, action, chosen ones and evil space emperors.

Blue/green babes, laser fights, silly costumes, cool, one-trick pony aliens and a very loose application of physics are also pretty much mandatory.

The list doesn't consistently take into account outside factors.

TOS mostly doesn't hold up (though the ones that do are golden), but Zim is there irrespective of creating the worst fanbase of all time, while SGU gets low tier for killing the franchise.

4/10 made me think before realizing it's biased as fuck.

Is Star Trek the animated series the one where Spock punches Satan in the face?

Where's Futurama?

High-Mid tier. One of the few astute points this chart makes.

Umm the Expanse should easily be High-Mid or High

>What are the essential elements of a good space opera
I'm no expert, but you might want to include both space and opera

Space for one. Bonus points for Opera too

Hehehe, placing voyager above anything else... thats a good joke man, post another!

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/filename/space shows/type/op/

>those three star treks better than baylon 5
>lotgh not on this list

OP bad pic man

Sexy blue alien babes ofc.

>space mutiny not on unlimited powergod tier

I still think you're undervaluing The Expanse. It deserves to be a tier higher. Also you're overvaluing Dark Matter like... A lot. That schlock could happily join Galactica 1980 on the bottom of the barrel.

I know it's cool and all to pretend that Babylon 5 is the best sci-fi ever made, but let's be honest, Deep Space Nine did everything B5 tried to do, except with greater panache, depth and pathos.

They both have their merits. It basically boils down to preference.

>Farscape higher than Firefly
At least it got something right. If only the Farscape RPG wasn't d20shit and actually got expansions to cover everything after Season 2.

Not really though

>cowboy bebop
>space opera
>logh is not on the list
>neither is tylor
This list is shit.

The fuck is outlaw star doing so low?

Yeah, but Satan also turns out to be a fucking radical dude who loves humanity.

You know, just like in real life.

I'm slightly triggered by the precise ordering of shows in the High vs God tiers. But then again, I think that's basically the point of tier charts.

I mean, personally I'd say the exact same thing but the other way around ; I feel like B5 did basically the exact same thing as DS9, but I enjoyed B5 more.

But then, this is 100% my personal opinion, so I'm not gonna pretend like you're objectively wrong or anything.

I mean, if Firefly had gone on longer it would have easily beat Farscape IMO. Maybe it was just the earlier seasons I watched, but I found Farscape to have wildly variable quality. As it is, though, Firefly is basically just a miniseries, and a really variable show that goes on long enough is bound to accumulate enough fantastic episodes to beat Firefly's handful of fantastic episodes. That's just statistically inevitable.

I was really impressed, by the episodes of Farscape that I watched, by their commitment to continuity when it came to the crew - they'd mention some stupid one-off quirk of weird alien biology one episode, and it would always come up again in another episode the next time it might matter. For fuck's sake, there was this ridiculous one-shot SPACE WIZARD episode in the first season, and its events had major long-term repercussions on the characters! It was like TNG, if the events of each episode actually consistently affected the characters in later episodes.

Green skinned space babes. Or blue ones, or red ones, whatever color strikes you fancy. Antennas are a plus. If you want to boldly come where no man has gone before, you must go all the way in.

Cute girls, preferably alien or robot ones.

Agreed.
Also :
>LOGH is not on the High-Tier List or at least High-Mid

Jesus, stop taking obvious bait. It's a fucking rerun of a rerun, people. He posts this bullshit every week.

I went back and rewatched the origional star trek recently, it hasnt held up at all and I give it a pass for having zero budget.

well next week I'M gonna post it just to mix things up!

>stop having adventures on the ground. It's shit if you don't actually follow physics.

Please, please consider trying a different board.

>fun is a buzzword
wot

A pleb opinion image.

Oh come on, Lexx needs to be much lower than that!

Like, three to four tiers.

Seriously, Lexx isn't just garbage, it's AMAZING garbage, a ship full of That Guys in a GM's terrible magical realm. It's fucking brilliant. Plus, a fucking awesome musical.

Ignoring the explicit bait implied by this image, let's talk cool things to have in a space opera! Note that this list is just my opinion, and not even necessarily essential:

>two visually and philosophically distinct factions
>aliens: not necessarily a whole bunch, but at least some
>cool futuristic guns: they don't need to be lasers, but they need to be flashy and cool. Make sure the factions specialize in different sorts of weapons!
>melee combat somehow sees use, there doesn't need to be a good reason why
>FTL travel, relativity only exists when its important for the plot
>humanity isn't the best, or the worst, and preferably isn't xenophobic (at least to the more humanoid aliums)

This is actually a pretty good tier list, except what is Farscape doing about Garbage tier? Christ that show was difficult to get through. Also, Futurama and Invader Zim don't really fit in.

>raumpatrouille orion
>garbage tier
>star trek tos
>god tier
Did you mix those two up or something?

futurama isnt space opera. its a fucking comedy show.

No wonder OP posts this garbage every week, you guys gobble it up every time.