What is Exalted?

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Preview
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Kung Fu Edition. What's your favourite Martial Art Style?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/BvfEqxKM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> What's your favourite Martial Art Style?
The slutty one.

The slutty CMA or the slutty SMA?

Both?

Infernal Monster. Which, in 3e, half of its charms went to Solar Brawl and the other half went to Solar Resistance.

>What's your favourite Martial Art Style?
Wind Chases the Hand

Sort of like White Reaper but focused on dueling rather than scything mortals.

Think Celestial iaijutsu.

Canon? Art of Meditative Discussion

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what Infernal Brawl is like. Hopefully it'll retain its own distinct flavour despite the Solar charmset taking liberally fro it.

I want to go over Artifact Dildo ideas

There was an artefact in the Scroll of Swallowed Darkness that let a man shag a volcano. It's ostensibly a dildo fleshlight combo. Does that count?

Solars also got Viridian Legend Exoskeleton, bullshittedly. Not even "similar, but different". It even does the WHOOSH-SHUNK-KSHUNK-KSHUNK plates-sliding-over-lesser-armor bit.

So asking for a friend here, does ahlat have a normal human cock or a bull cock?

One of each, actually.

Violet Bier, followed closely by Jenna's recent Hidden Horse.

Sounds like they really wanted anime transformation sequences. Or Power Ranger/Kamen Rider/etc throwbacks.

Brawl.

Well hell, all you need for that is Hauberk-Summoning Gesture comboed with Whirlwind Armor-Donning Prana and a sick stunt.

Do you have, like, an album somewhere online of the apparently large amount of quality art you've collected? I keep seeing you post neat stuff and find myself saving it at least half the time.

No, I've just been playing RPG's for a really long time and have amassed a bunch of stuff.

Oh wait, I'm retarded and misread the first part. Yeah, I do have a pinterest somewhere. But it's never too up to date because I only post stuff every now and then. Still probably has 300-400 pics on it though.

>Kung Fu Edition. What's your favourite Martial Art Style?
Most Martial Arts feel like they should just be about fluff, appropriate specialties and native Charms that are in line with the style, but a couple of MAs feel like they really deserve to be distinct things of their own. Black Claw, for instance, so I'll say it's my favorite.

Adding on to that, does anyone else choose a Martial Art for their character based on how it'd fit with the characters personality instead of mechanics?

Of the new ones, Single Point.

Of the classic ones, Righteous Devil.

I do sometimes, with styles like Crane and Dreaming Pearl.

Crane, because Im a sucker for the peacemaker friendly types.

I usually do both. Like if I'm interested in Crane's mechanics, I'll shape the character's personality towards pacifistic philosophiser. Whereas if I want my character to be a manipulative bitch, I'll take Black Claw, and change up the rest of her mechanics so it works.

I can't because I'm way too invested in the mechanics of a character. Mechanics to me are the literal skeleton of which you build a character out of, so to be suitably badass, I'd need suitably strong mechanics to pull it off. I can't really say no to playing optimized characters, which is probably a habit picked up from video gaming most of my life, where you usually had to eke out every last stat point or whatever to actually excel in a lot of older games.

At heart I'm a huge combat monster and love being a machine designed to eat NPC's and shit loot piles. Exalted MA doesn't really do that, with the various restrictions on MA, and problems trying to mix several styles, etc.

Whoops, above should have been replying to this.

Golden Janissary Style remains my favorite stlye to this day, I was pretty sad to see it get cut from 3e

It's not exactly cut - it just wasn't in Core. It wasn't in 2E core either.

Vance has hinted it might show up in the Dragon-Blooded book.

What the fuck is a factory cathedral? Do you go there to worship while cars are made?

2e, baby.

Your magical sword was producted in a factory that we threw an extra word on because reasons.

T-Rexes and F16!

Exalted needed saving. 2efags wanted their broken shitty game to stay broken and stay shitty.

So let's just say I hypothetically wanted to make a moonsilver dildo that can "attach" to a woman's body and function like an actual penis. What sort of Evocations would it have?

White Veil. The sneak attack shit was great. I also liked Five-Fold Shadow Hand and all of the cross-element synergy.

I know its 2e, I'm reading up on the older stuff and see it mentioned but never described. So its an artifact factory then? Guess its kinda inevitable with all the weird stuff you had in there.

I kind of serious question that came from the old thread. Spirits have bodies made from essence when they materialize right? Could they in theory make themselves look however they want or do they have a sort of default they cant change from?

Imagine a manufacturing center with the gravitas of a cathedral, basically. Essentially meant for creating really high-grade artifacts like warstriders and powered armors and shit.

Saw people play raksha for the first time today (2.5). I had figured it'd be a lot more nonsensical, but it actually seemed really interesting. Thinking about joining the game, but I have no idea what sort of concepts would work. Anyone got ideas for a raksha PC?

I'd say the latter. Spirits, as opposed to mortals, are really tightly defined by their nature. It would be impossible for a rivergod to manifest as a being of fire, because that would be antithetical to its nature. It's appearance is a distillation of its nature into a physical representation. Change its nature, and you might change the body it manifests. Spirits that are by nature subject to change would, of course, change their physical manifestation (e.g. the god of the seasons might change in age from a youth to an old man as the seasons progressed, or something).

Pretty much. Performing the proper rituals to placate and empower the gods of each component was just as much a part of construction as bolting two widgets together. At least in 2E.

Good raksha players are kind of like Malkavian players who don't fishmalk. Rare as diamonds and just as fucking valuable.

I didn't see any lolrandomb xd characters in the game, they were all pretty much playing Exalted with more freeform appearing rules. I'm still trying to figure out if a raksha character's concept should be like an Exalt's or something more malleable, I guess.

Can you make a raksha assassin/rogue type?

>Can you make a raksha assassin/rogue type?

Certainly.

It used to be that the key to raksha characters was to make them a bit more...archetypical than Exalts. Narrative was a big theme for them. Like, a Night Caste might become a prince of thieves by his accomplishments, but a Raksha rogue type will be The Prince of Thieves, with all the expected noble bearing and conspicuous largesse thereof, like somebody who literally stepped off the pages of a folk tale and expects things to go as that narrative would dictate.

Who knows if this will still be true in 3e, but it was how things mostly were in previous editions.

I suspect they will be the same in 3rd edition. Back in 2nd edition I remember having some discussions with Vance and he liked the idea of Raksha being archetypes writ large.

Raksha are my favorite splat, they're pretty fun. A Raksha is less of a person and more of a character, even IC. They don't so much do things because they want to, they do things because those things would make for an interesting story.

Making a Raksha is mostly about figuring out what sort of story they want to tell. That could be a legendary assassin, sure, though maybe with a little more to spice it up.

Yes

>looks at his ERP folder

Why do I do these things to myself.

Several times, but I also share 's sentiment. I'm very fond of making armour and weapons specifically tailored to certain MA's. Either plugging up the holes they've got or evocations that allow one to vastly increase the power output of their chosen style. Would you be able to keep up with Solar Melee? No, but I think with the proper evocations in the right place you sure as hell can keep up.

I already finished one for Steel Devil, as I like the style thematically but holy fuck did it ever need a power boost. I got some ideas for an Ebon Shadow weapon (Knives, can also be used with melee) and lastly in the process of Dreaming Pearl artifacts (Especially tricky since the base style does a bit of everything already, plus the ideas I got may not be everyone's tastes [No, not ERP]).

He's still got a walrus cock from back when he was the god of Walrus's fucking.

For me, a lot of the time the mechanics figures into it as much as the fluff does. For example, I might not have a character that is pacifistic enough at heart to wholly fit in as many might expect of a Crane Style practitioner, but what the style does might work perfectly for what he would choose to do and what he needs most of the time. At other times it may simply be thematic, or just cool things I think the character should be able to do.

I think having a bit of dissonance between the heart of the style and the heart of the character is interesting in itself. A style itself can represent one of many ideas or ideals that the character holds, but holds himself back from. He seeks to master the style, not the other way around. The ferocity of the Tiger Style may suit him well, but he does not want to walk the path of the merciless predator. The philosophies of the Crane Style may align with his ideals, but he knows that such restrained force alone cannot achieve what he set out to do. Likewise, a character may instead become increasingly affected by the methods/philosophies of one martial art or another, shaping/corrupting his own views. He may have been capable of taming and using Black Claw for good all this while, but as he keeps immersing himself in its methods, he may very well become what the style wants him to be... and as a result he may also corrupt the Crane Style he already knows to do his bidding.

Sadly in 3e this is likely to be Liminal, not Abyssal

Anyone have the PDF of the printable charm cards?

Seconded.

Are they not in the OP under 3E Core and Splats?

Got anything you can post here?

why did we need two undead exalts again?

Stuff that builds various sorts of intimacies between the lovers. Probably one that allows such unions to actually generate a pregnancy.

How many dragonblooded/immaculate monks in a wyld hunt pose a challenge for a starting solar circle?

Frankenstein + Zombie =/= Skeleton + Vampire
To be honest I don't really see why they would spend time and resources on new exalted types, could have saved the ideas to polish the already made ones.

sma, the cma was an april fools joke and never actually finished.

Depends on the Solar circle, and also on the specific Dragon-Blooded involved. I know it's a non-answer, but it's also the only right answer.

How many fighters does it take to kill a group of wizards?

Thanks man. I didn't know they were catogarized under splats.

By the way, what martial arts styles use the cestus? Doesn't matter if it's canon or not.

We didn't, it's literally a waste of everyones time and resources, and those themes could've better been put to use on Abyssals to further differentiate them from Solars.

In Ex3, none. In 2e, First Pulse, Solar Hero, Dark Messiah, Infernal Monster, and Art of Forceful Declaration. No idea about home brew styles, though.

yeah, that was lame of them

link?

iirc scroll of swallowed darkness had this. although it used jade

such bullshit, then again I felt like a good number of 3e solar charms don't really feel "solar". like they overstep the themes

iirc first age solar craftsmen did a bit of work with quintessence and that needed a cult, so they stuck it in the same place as all their other tools and worked them into the assembly line

what he said.

raksha as characters are basically a group of people larping exalted

Interesting question: Is it possible for a Solar to have a meaningful relationship with a mortal? It feels like the power imbalance and lifespan issues would fuck the relationship.

I mean, we've seen that the Dragonblooded already have that problem, and the imbalance is less.

More of a question of whatever I'd post would make me want to hang myself or not for showing people to a magical realm.

Yes, and it's a good setup for a tragic romance. It's probably more likely to happen when the Solar is still only an age that a mortal can reach. When they become a few centuries old, they'll probably stop dating mortals.

Don't be a pussy.

>I have used pics like this in my own games
>no, they were not ERP games

would adding to the lunar/solar bond to give both the lunar and solar mate properties of being eachother's familiar be useful?(to make it less of a 1 way burden on the lunar so they at least get *something* out of it) mostly the sense sharing and innate ability to convey simple ideas through gestures only they understand. ..possibly the ability to willingly transfer 5 personal essence one way or the other

either that or a charm in the lunar bond related subtree to actually make the solar their familiar(that doesn't count to the lunar's normal familiar limit) for the above benefits and charm purposes

tasteful crops from hardcore hentai > obvious "technically worksafe" lewdness
>agitated afghan girl.jpg

lose the familiar buffing charms

Post more sexy Dragong-Blooded damn it.

Fine, I'll deal with my shame.

pastebin.com/BvfEqxKM

What's in the OP now, in the "3E Core and Splats" link. What's more, the one that's there is the final one, containing the charm that your one is missing.

This is very nice. Would be even better if there was a soulsteel or some sort of trapping device for the spirit that locks them in the device. It keeps them asleep unless the device is in use at which point their spirit is subjected to the massive joy. On top of that the spirits that keep adding in to the device compound the pleasure of all of them and on the user and receiver.

Good to hear, but Raksha shouldn't be playable desu.

Why not? They're a lot of fun.

not if I have the full lunar bond mechanics:

1mdv penalty for acting against solar
2mdv bonus for acting on behalf of solar
3extra dice to throw at acting on behalf of solar
4exemption to abyssal resonance
5weakness to "lunar taming leash" charms

...that's it?

not sure if I have the full lunar bond mechanics:

-mdv penalty for acting against solar
-extra dice to throw at acting on behalf of solar
-exemption to abyssal mate's resonance gain
-weakness to "lunar taming leash" charms
-ability to buy dicetrick charms for the solar support pool at full price and with your own xp

...and thats it?
I'm just having trouble figuring out why anybody would ever pay for this background. it actually /costs the lunar/ bp to have more "solar's bitch" dice? if shouldn't 'has a better mate' be something the solar pays for in chargen instead?
what upside am I missing there?

There really is no upside. Nobody should spend XP on that.

>doing this with Exalted
Whew asking for trouble. It's already such a bad mess that not selecting Martial Arts based on whether they're mechanically functional or not is really, really dangerous.

In a mixed game where one of the other players is the Solar (or Abyssal), it can be pretty nice. At five dots, it gives you 10 dice you can add on any roll to "assist" the Solar PC (like attacking the dude your Solar and circle are fighting or helping to steal the information your Solar and friends need). Importantly, these dice ignore dice caps. It also would add 5 dots to your DV for any action designed to make you betray your Solar buddy (which in effect would probably also include betraying the rest of your circle, since betraying them would probably mean betraying your Solar buddy).

So 5 points in the background increases your MDV by 5 and gives you 10 dice you can use to add to many rolls and which can break dice caps. Obviously you don't want to take this background and link it to a player who is an asshole and would abuse the penalties.

It's really not a bad deal, depending. But if you do play a Lunar and your Solar mate is some NPC who's nowhere around, or the ST's a jerkass, or the player playing your Solar buddy is a jerkass, then you probably wouldn't want to take the background.

Aren't most of the MA in the core mechanically sound anyway?

Had a Dawn with Seel Devil in one game. The style's pretty bad. The Dawn was pretty badass. The GM didn't have to go out of his way to let the Dawn manage with that style.

All of the styles are functional. The ones Morke designed a bit less so, but not to the point that a character is going to feel like an albatross around the neck of the party.

>The ones Morke designed a bit less so

Which are those?

>but not to the point that a character is going to feel like an albatross around the neck of the party.

I guess I'm still stuck in the 2e mindset of "not optimal is doomed".

Morke did Steel Devil, pretty sure everything else was done by Vance.

even then it feels more like the solar should pay for this background.

all it takes is a little rewording:

While refining the Essences of her Chosen, Luna agreed to instill an innate bond within each Lunar, tying that Exalt’s Essence to that of a single Solar. Thus, each of the 300 Moonchildren was mystically associated with one of the 300 Solars as surely as day is paired with night. Whether by design, happenstance or personal interaction, different Lunars formed bonds with Solars with varied degrees of strength. Ma-Ha-Suchi says he scarcely grieved when his spouse was
murdered, though his subsequent headlong plunge into the Wyld suggests he harbored feelings he would not admit. Lilith remained with her First Age spouse Desus despite physical abuse that sometimes shattered her bones, but no one can say whether she stayed because of her Solar Bond or the supernatural mental infl uence of her mate. Whatever the individual relationship might have been, these bonds still exist. As the Solars return to Creation, the Children of the Moon fi nd they cannot ignore their ancient bonds.

For the default rules of the basic Solar-Lunar bond, see MoEP:Lunars page 20. Dots in the Solar Bond Background indicate a stronger relationship than suggested by the standard rules. Lunars who were intimately connected to their Solar partners could tap into unexpected strength when defending their companions. Each dot of Solar Bond gives the Lunar two dice in her Solar Bond pool. Her player may assign one or more of these dice to any action undertaken with the deliberate purpose of aiding the Solar to whom the Lunar is bonded. Each die may be used once per story, and this dice pool refreshes at the end of every story.

In addition, each dot of Solar Bond adds one to the Lunar’s Mental Defense Value whenever a social attack might cause her to act against her bonded Solar. Conversely, each dot of the Solar Bond Background reduces the Lunar’s Mental Defense Value by one whenever her actions go against her bonded Solar. This bonus or penalty stacks with the default Intimacy created by the Lunar’s bond with the Solar.

X Your bond to a Lunar mate exists, but you haven't yet crossed paths. Or perhaps she struggle to resist it.

• You feel a strong mystical connection to your Lunar associate.

•• You are drawn to your Solar partner, and she finds your influence difficult to resist.

••• Your Lunar companion can scarcely help being the greatest of friends or most faithful of lovers — even if she hates you.

•••• Your Mate died staunchly defending your your First Age incarnation, despite your madness.

••••• Your Lunar spouse's love knows no bounds. The poets of the First Age immortalized her epic devotion, and these tales survive even in the Time of Tumult.

Place your bets, how long after DB charm spoilers do we get our first flamewar about it?

I'll guess 3 weeks early