The Dwarves live in mountainous terrain, and arable land is at a premium; they are, however, an industrious folk...

The Dwarves live in mountainous terrain, and arable land is at a premium; they are, however, an industrious folk, with a mind for engineering, and have created a system by which the sides of mountains and canyons might be used to grow food for their people. The crops which grow best in this environment - rice, olives, grapes, tea - are rotated throughout these terraces, where strict controls on water, fertilizer, and temperature produce enough high-quality crops from their broken land to feed their subterranean populace. These foods, combined with river-caught and farmed fish and the meat of the massive Dwarven Mountain Goat (whose flame-resistant wool features prominently in dwarven craft) provide a rich and balanced died.

Some communities have also taken to growing new crops from across the sea - a thick tuber called "potato" and a tall, thick-stalked grain called "maize."

The high sugar content of these crops, and the easy availability of both yeasts and fungi grown in underground farms, inform Dwarven drinking culture; the most common drink of the working man is a thick drink of herb-seasoned fermented rice that is both calorific and strangely dry and bland, at least to Human standards.

Where the Dwarven craftsmanship truly shines, however, is in their wine and spirits. The most common liquor is a shockingly high-proof rice distillate, the lower grades of which are used as industrial fuels and solvents. It is served, traditionally, in a Samovar-like device, which heats the liquor while adding one of several available flavoring syrups, the most popular being basil-mint, peppercorn, and sugarbeet.

The wines, on the other hand, have truly endless variety. Individual Dwarven families, guarding millennia-old family recipes and techniques, produce wines that run the gamut of flavors, each on their own well-guarded terraces. The only reason these wines are not more famous is an issue of supply.

Yet wouldn't a rich and balanced diet cause them to grow taller than humans of a lesser-fed culture?

So little is produced every season, compared to the demand for fine wine within the mountain, that these delicious wines are effectively nonexistent as an export good, being consumed almost to the drop domestically.

Still, from my time serving as Ambassador to the court of Baldwhifk, son of Eodmherd, I can assure you - their is as much variety, and perhaps more luxurious flavor, than in any long-standing Elven wine cellar.

- From the journals of Thrandrassil the Gourmand

That's assuming that Dwarves are just small humans. The selective pressure of their mountain homes prizes short bodies with powerful builds - the ample muscles and more ample guts of which attest to the richness of their diet.

I've always imagined the Dwarven agriculture to follow the Swiss pattern and focus extensively on dairy products. Also explains why dwarfs have a hard on for bull symbolism.

Went more Mediterranean/South Asian, but I suppose it depends on the stronghold - dwarves don't have a hell of a lot of wide open space, and their communities are far-flung, so it makes sense that each would develop a food culture suited to the climate.

>the Swiss pattern
Transhumance is a meme industry. It accounts for maybe one promille of Switzerland's agricultural output. The government has to pour crazy amounts of money into it to prevent it from dying out, it's the single most subsidised traditional industry in the whole world. There are many people, mostly serious farmers, who are very butthurt about that.

Begin discussion of Swiss Dairy Politics.

Yes, please do.

If I were at my computer, I would shop up a Zagat's review in honor of this.
I didn't think rice could be grown on mountains, but the Mediterranean take is neat.

Check out Vietnam or cambodia. That's all they grow, In terraces.

I heard about that. I recon there is also conflict about which farmers get to call their products alpine pasture produced. Seal is assigned per region but many farmers that effectively work slopes are left out of that.
Not Swiss though, so I might be mistaken.

Please share more pictures of terrace farms, canals, or other things like orchards, I need them desperately.

Thank you based user

Now I want angry dwarf dairy farmers fighting private wars with each other like rednecks.